• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

Comes up every year, but this year seems there is a lot of momentum from the Chicago media saying Bryce is leaving us for DePaul.  Personally I don't get it. He has a fire proof job at Valpo and is building something pretty special.

I'd still be surprised if he leaves despite the report that a source close to him says he'd go to DePaul if offered. Him leaving would be a tough pill to swallow as I can only imagine who all he takes with him.

I'm hoping that DePaul decides on Hurley or Wardle and doesn't even offer Bryce, or better yet that Drew would just come out and bury all these rumors now (apparently that tweeted quote from another thread on here was too vague).

a3uge

Quote from: HC on March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM
Comes up every year, but this year seems there is a lot of momentum from the Chicago media saying Bryce is leaving us for DePaul.  Personally I don't get it. He has a fire proof job at Valpo and is building something pretty special.

I'd still be surprised (due to what others have told me) if he leaves despite the report that a source close to him says he'd go to DePaul if offered. Him leaving would be a tough pill to swallow as I can only imagine who all he takes with him.

I'm hoping that DePaul decides on Hurley or Wardle and doesn't even offer Bryce, or better yet that Drew would just come out and bury all these rumors now (apparently that tweeted quote from another thread on here was too vague).

Link to source close to Bryce?

Also, if Bryce leaves Valpo for a joke program like DePaul, he better not show his face in Valpo again.

HC

The guy that tweeted it was a reporter for 670 the score...as I go back to Twitter an ESPN guy has Hurley as front runner.

a3uge

The whole "source close to Bryce thinks he'd take it" is a bit ridiculous. Bryce probably doesn't even know of he'd take it. What'd he get drunk at a bar and tell the guy next to him that he wants a one way ticket to one of the worst power conference programs in the country?

VU75

It's a good thing that the threat of Drew leaving is out there.  The thing that will keep him here, is to keep the program moving forward. So if this gets the the fieldhouse built a year earlier, which in turn gets the ARC renovated into a basketball arena a year earlier, which in turn makes Valpo the frontrunner to replace Wichita State when they jump to the Big East, then the DePaul rumor is a good thing.

valpotx

Bryce would be an absolute moron to leave what he has in next year's team, for the crap DePaul program.  Yes, you get to put your stamp on a program in the same general geography, but you are taking a huge risk.  I don't view DePaul as that 'special' opportunity it would take, for Bryce to consider leaving Valpo.  In my view, the Tulsa job he turned down would have been a much better opportunity.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

How reliable is a source on the Score? 

If anyone of decent quality takes the DePaul, they should ask for a long term contract and a new AD. They probably will have a new arena in a couple of years, but the location is not ideal and will have to deal with Chicago politicians who do not have a Boy Scout persona.

wh

Sources: Bryce Drew Is DePaul's Top Target

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/sources-bryce-drew-is-depauls-top-target/

A source close to Drew believes that he will take the DePaul job, citing the allure of Chicago and its location still fairly close to Valparaiso, Ind., Drew's hometown and where family members live. The source said Drew was one of the candidates pushing for the Northwestern opening two years ago, which eventually went to Chris Collins.

crusadermoe

Puzzling.   He has a top 40 team and some high-major type talent for next year.  I don't think he needs the money urgently or needs to jump while he is hot.   

I think we all saw him going to an SEC or southern ACC school eventually because of Tara's southern ties and the south just seems to fit his personality.  You can be royalty on those campuses. 

Is he really that determined to live in the rain and snow of Valparaiso for the next several years?   Loves his parents, but I bet they would move on to be near him or Scott if he went south in a year or two.    Hoping the "source" is mistaken.

HC

Seems Bryce Drew, and Bobby Hurley for that matter, is hotter then DePaul.  If he is even interested in moving on eventually it seems to me waiting around and winning another year or 4, or 25, he could land in a place much more special then DePaul.

valpo95

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12553903/bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-front-runner-depaul-blue-demons-job

Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley has emerged as the front-runner for the DePaul job, multiple sources told ESPN...Sources told ESPN that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and former DePaul star and NBA coach Tyrone Corbin also are in the mix.

Looks like Hurley is the front runner for DePaul, at least according to ESPN last night.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo95 on March 25, 2015, 08:10:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12553903/bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-front-runner-depaul-blue-demons-job

Buffalo coach Bobby Hurley has emerged as the front-runner for the DePaul job, multiple sources told ESPN...Sources told ESPN that Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew and former DePaul star and NBA coach Tyrone Corbin also are in the mix.

Looks like Hurley is the front runner for DePaul, at least according to ESPN last night.

Knowing DePaul, theyll hire Corbin.

sliman

Quote from: a3uge on March 25, 2015, 08:16:41 AM

I understand the history that supports DePaul picking Corbin.  On the other hand, Hurley would give them a "name" with cache similar to that of Collins with whom he'll compete for recruits.  And Hurley is coming off a resume building year.  Front runner seems to be a good description at this time.

Knowing DePaul, theyll hire Corbin.

swiftmutiny

Every year we have this thread. Every year "sources" say that he is the frontrunner at such and such school. But do any of you have any doubts, seriously? Bryce has a very special relationship with the university and the community that he will never be able to find elsewhere, and for the first time he's working with a team that he has built from the ground up. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if his choice of college out of high school is any indication, he seems like the type of person who enjoys forging their own path. Unless the relationship between him and the administration somehow sours, I don't see him going anywhere.

vu72

I was just listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN radio.  They had Greg Marshall of Wichita State on and he said that even when he was at Winthrop before he came to Wichita, he regularly received job offers.  It is just part of the business.  Of course Bryce will be getting offers. He is a very successful college coach.  Everyone wants success.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Or maybe not:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/580735017531392000

"Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul."

classof2014

So long that Valpo has success Bryce Drew will be in the conversation for many different jobs around the country. Everybody wants success and they see a coach at a small Midwestern Mid-major program having success and they look to cherrypick him away. I don't foresee Bryce leaving. He can easily make Valpo the next mid-major powerhouse, easy might not be the right word but Drew is certainly capable of doing so. He's chosen to stay at Valparaiso throughout his basketball career, going way back to choose to play for his dad over major programs. Based on his history nothing tells me he's interested in leaving.

Would I be shocked if he does leave? No. Do I think he will though? No. He's one of the few coaches out there with job security, if he leaves Valpo he has a few year window, if he doesn't have success he'll get canned.

So long as Bryce is successful the interest will always be peaked of major-programs looking to make a splash.

oklahomamick

Roy Schmidt at Bullseye said Bryce Drew was returning to Valpo 2 days ago, and now Hurley is getting a contract extension at Buffalo.
http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2015/03/25/ub-reaches-agreement-in-principle-on-new-contract-with-bobby-hurley/

King Kampe isn't in the discussion for another job   ???
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

I would like to think that Bryce is going to use other job offers as leverage to get the University to expedite changes to the ARC, locker rooms, practice facilities, etc.   

However, Depaul is in the Big East, which is a GREAT basketball conference.  They don't care about football, they only care about basketball.  Great location, great conference.  There is no reason a coach like Bryce couldn't have Butler/Baylor like success at a place like Depaul.

Has anyone ever stopped to think that it might be best for him to leave when we have a lot of returning talent?  Give incentive for a really good coach to come here and have immediate success?   Obviously, I hope this is not the case, but you never know...

The question is what are Bryce's coaching goals.  Does he want to eventually contend for a  final 4 or a national championship?   At Valpo, the ceiling on the program is probably making the NCAA tournament 65% of the time and going to a sweet 16 an average of once every 5 years.   That is the absolute BEST CASE in my opinion.  At a school like Depaul, I think their ceiling is much higher.  It will take a long time to turn things around and get there, but the ceiling is higher there.  Look at what Scott Drew did at Baylor...   

Chairback

Neither Hurley or Bryce have a win in the NCAA Tourney.  To be honest if I was the decision maker this would be a requirement before I chugged a crap load of money at a coach.

If Tyrone Corbin is in the mix he to me would be the logical choice with his NBA coaching experience.

Bryce still does not have a signature win.  He has decent mid-major wins but has never beaten a major.  We've come close many times but he doesn't have one.  He has a lot to prove still in my eyes, certainly how the last 30 seconds was handled in the Maryland game.

Remember his dad's name is on the floor and that means something.  No way this gets handed off to someone else for a chance to coach at Depaul. 

Also, he has already said he is coming back and it would take something special for him to go.    Depaul is not special.   Plus Peters has said he is looking to kick the crap out of someone next year after that last loss.  He doesn't make a comment like that without his coach coming back.

I'd really hate to see it, but if he is foolish enough to leave it's not the end of the world for Valpo basketball.   Someone else might be able to get us those major wins we are not getting now.  I'd love to be the next coach at Valpo with the team that we have the next two years!

a3uge

Quote from: Chairback on March 25, 2015, 10:28:22 AM
Neither Hurley or Bryce have a win in the NCAA Tourney.  To be honest if I was the decision maker this would be a requirement before I chugged a crap load of money at a coach.

If Tyrone Corbin is in the mix he to me would be the logical choice with his NBA coaching experience.

Bryce still does not have a signature win.  He has decent mid-major wins but has never beaten a major.  We've come close many times but he doesn't have one.  He has a lot to prove still in my eyes, certainly how the last 30 seconds was handled in the Maryland game.

Remember his dad's name is on the floor and that means something.  No way this gets handed off to someone else for a chance to coach at Depaul. 

Also, he has already said he is coming back and it would take something special for him to go.    Depaul is not special.   Plus Peters has said he is looking to kick the crap out of someone next year after that last loss.  He doesn't make a comment like that without his coach coming back.

I'd really hate to see it, but if he is foolish enough to leave it's not the end of the world for Valpo basketball.   Someone else might be able to get us those major wins we are not getting now.  I'd love to be the next coach at Valpo with the team that we have the next two years!

Bryce had 1 chance at a "major win" this year, 0 last year (unless you include SLU maybe), and 2 the year before against Michigan State and NM on the road. I don't think a decision is going to be made for a head coach based on 3 games, at least for DePaul, a program that probably can't do better than Bryce or Hurley.

covufan

I'm a little surprised by this, but think Hurley could do well at DePaul.  I would have thought that Fordham or George Mason, both on the east coast, would be more to his liking. 

covufan

I really don't see Bryce going to DePaul.  Not with what he has invested in the Valpo program.  After his first year, when he flirted with Mississippi State, I could see him having gone to DePaul (if it were open at the time).  Not now.  Unless ml comes out and states a program has contacted VU to talk to Bryce, I'm not believing anything. 

valpotx

Yes, another coach can win at Valpo with the returning players.  However, if Bryce leaves, who leaves with him or because of Bryce leaving?  That is the big problem.  Bryce could really screw over his alma mater, if Peters leaves, and Smits pulls out of his commitment with the coaching change.  I know that he needs to focus on himself, but how many players stay if Bryce leaves?
"Don't mess with Texas"