• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's suppose...

Started by wh, June 08, 2015, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

...that Vashiel does in fact return next year. Just for fun,  how good do you think this year's team could be with the same roster, plus our incoming 7' IN HS All-Star and a healthy Lexus?

wh

While I'm at it, I should mention that I'm concerned about having too much depth and what to do with it. It's easy to think that this is a good problem to have, but in this case I'm not so sure.  What's going to happen when 6 quality players on a 14 man roster basically never get off the bench?

Does anyone share this concern?

justducky

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2015, 07:35:21 PM
...that Vashiel does in fact return next year. Just for fun,  how good do you think this year's team could be with the same roster, plus our incoming 7' IN HS All-Star and a healthy Lexus?

Hey you can play this "let's suppose" game all you want but not me. Why on earth would this Vashiel thing if true, be fought and developed in total silence? It just makes no sense except maybe for OOC scheduling advantages???????:o  Wait! Now you got me playing too.

vu72

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2015, 07:35:21 PM

It is more then just a returning healthy Lexus.  EVN will be healthy (presumably) which he never was last year.  Add Shane Hammink as well, who some thought could have started if eligible.  A full year of playing together and great, unheard of depth.  Anything less then a top 25 year and at least one win in the tournament will be a big disappointment.  Can anybody say "platoon"?? Ten guys going all out with full court pressure!  Wow!  Can't wait to see how it unfolds...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: justducky on June 09, 2015, 01:13:27 AMWhy on earth would this Vashiel thing if true, be fought and developed in total silence?
Because the scholarship situation is sticky at best.  We are full of scholarships for next year.  If Vashil does get another year, someone needs to move off of a scholarship.  Bryce/Valpo may be trying to find a landing spot for someone that is currently on scholarship. 

usc4valpo

We can always use more talent.  Valpo is not Kentucky and a landing a 4-star talent player would be a beautiful thing.

Chairback

Spoke with a reliable contact also that confirmed he will be back.  I'm sure things can change and twist and turn but this is what I have "heard".  No one is confirming anything official at this point. 

vu72

Wow.  Just WOW!!  I wonder how this is playing with our incoming 7'er.  By that I mean that he chose Valpo over a bunch of offers in part because of immediate playing time.  He'll obviously still get some but unless he is better then Vashil, his time will be reduced.  No question in my mind that Daniel Relvao now will red shirt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

He may lose game pt but just think how much more he will develop going up against Vashil every day in practice. Plus it lowers the pressure on him to carry the whole load at the 5 this year.  The odd man out might be Jubril for game pt.  Can't help but wonder what the rotation would be.

classof2014

If all of this is true and Vashil will return; Smits will see a decrease in PT but still see plenty of action. My guess is he'll average around 15 minutes a game and gives him a year to develop as well as learn from one of the best defenders in the country.

Still, I won't believe it until it is officially official.

covufan

Quote from: nkvu on June 10, 2015, 06:41:45 PMHe may lose game pt but just think how much more he will develop going up against Vashil every day in practice.
Once Smits enrolls, I think we'll also have a new unpaid post assistant - his father.  Hopefully, some of the players will make the trip down to Zionsville to get a few lessons on the Smits' home court. 

IrishDawg

IMO, Smits still have some developing to do before he's really ready for the big time.  He has the potential, for sure, but right now he needs to be more consistent with his aggressiveness and effort before I'd trust having him in there full-time.  Additionally, Fernandez moves a lot better than Smits does, so defensively Valpo would probably be better off in a zone with Smits vs. man to man, especially in the Horizon where the bigs can put it on the floor or hit an outside jumper.

I do think in time he can be miles ahead of what Vashil brings to the offensive end of the floor (he's pretty much already ahead of him now, IMO), but judging by how much Valpo relied on their top 35 defense to carry them last year and pretty much all of the team back, he's going to be brought along pretty slowly, at least next season.

vu72

Quote from: IrishDawg on June 16, 2015, 07:27:04 AM
IMO, Smits still have some developing to do before he's really ready for the big time.  He has the potential, for sure, but right now he needs to be more consistent with his aggressiveness and effort before I'd trust having him in there full-time.  Additionally, Fernandez moves a lot better than Smits does, so defensively Valpo would probably be better off in a zone with Smits vs. man to man, especially in the Horizon where the bigs can put it on the floor or hit an outside jumper.

I do think in time he can be miles ahead of what Vashil brings to the offensive end of the floor (he's pretty much already ahead of him now, IMO), but judging by how much Valpo relied on their top 35 defense to carry them last year and pretty much all of the team back, he's going to be brought along pretty slowly, at least next season.

Pretty much?  If Vashil is back we lose one bench warmer and add Smits, Relvao(probably a redshirt) and Hammink (probably a starter) and Livingston.  Loaded is an understatement.

wh

Quote from: IrishDawg on June 16, 2015, 07:27:04 AM

Nice to see you're still keeping tabs on us, Irish.  I think I probably watched half of Butler's games last year (at least it seems like that many).  After the Miller fiasco, no one was more surprised than I that they did so well.  Watching them became kind of addictive.

valpopal

Way too early and means nothing, but "let's suppose...": USA TODAY preseason bracketology has Valpo as a #12 seed in the tourney http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/06/17/2015-summer-bracketology-projecting-the-way-too-early-field-of-68/

VULB#62

Wow, the team we almost could have beaten in the 2015 Dance, Maryland, is a 2016 #1 seed!

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 17, 2015, 02:50:20 PM
Wow, the team we almost could have beaten in the 2015 Dance, Maryland, is a 2016 #1 seed!

Helps they got top 5 recruit Diamond Stone.

justducky

Let them all sleep as long as possible. I don't want to wake anybody up until our OOC schedule is finished.

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on June 17, 2015, 02:02:05 PM
Way too early and means nothing, but "let's suppose...": USA TODAY preseason bracketology has Valpo as a #12 seed in the tourney http://sportswire.usatoday.com/2015/06/17/2015-summer-bracketology-projecting-the-way-too-early-field-of-68/
By the report Illinois St would be among the last 4 in and be assigned with an 11 seed play-in game. By memory I think they had a slightly lower RPI and lost only a couple of part time bench contributors as opposed to our- well whatever losses. I had hoped we might appear on their schedule but it has been released and the answer is no. They will go to Kentucky however and we will not

I still have hope that Bradley and Coach Wardle might get us and Alec to the Peoria area either this year or next.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on June 17, 2015, 02:02:05 PM

I'm pretty sure the players and coaching staff will have their sights set higher than moving from 13 to 12.   

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on June 09, 2015, 10:22:40 AMWe are full of scholarships for next year.  If Vashil does get another year, someone needs to move off of a scholarship.

If Vashil comes back, there will be an opening.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on June 19, 2015, 06:43:29 PM
Quote from: covufan on June 09, 2015, 10:22:40 AMWe are full of scholarships for next year.  If Vashil does get another year, someone needs to move off of a scholarship.

If Vashil comes back, there will be an opening.

Are you saying without saying that Vashil is coming back and an opening has been made to accommodate it - or am I reading too much into your comment?