• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2015-16 Season

Started by wh, July 19, 2015, 03:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UConnHoops

Quote from: motowntitan on August 27, 2015, 06:04:48 PMYou guys seriously need to look at who Oakland has coming in.  They only finished two games behind you and will be even better next year. Two eligible transfers from Iowa State and one possibly from Texas. If all of them keep their heads on straight, you will be challenged.

Wow...I agree. The 2 transfers Walker and Gibson were 2 of the best players in their class out of Michigan if not mistaken. 1 of them I think Walker teamed up with Felder in high school. Plus with the conference tourney in Detroit that gives Oakland some juice. I think this league deserves an At-Large bid but the road to achieving that means having to win 2 out of 3 against RI, Oregon and Oregon State. 3 out of 4 if you play Belmont. That will be tough to say the least especially considering how good OSU is at home. Oregon State returns pretty much everyone and beat Arizona last year at home. I think they only lost a game or 2 at home all year.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

justducky

Quote from: motowntitan on August 27, 2015, 06:04:48 PMYou guys seriously need to look at who Oakland has coming in.  They only finished two games behind you and will be even better next year.

Two eligible transfers from Iowa State and one possibly from Texas.

If all of them keep their heads on straight, you will be challenged.
If everything comes together this could easily be their best team ever and might sport a RPI in the 80-100 range. You just can never be certain with some of the project and recycled players that Kampe picks up. If they win a couple key games from their brutal OOC schedule then hold on to your hats! Who knows with a Kampe recruited and led team?

justducky

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 27, 2015, 06:57:59 PMI think this league deserves an At-Large bid but the road to achieving that means having to win 2 out of 3 against RI, Oregon and Oregon State. 3 out of 4 if you play Belmont. That will be tough to say the least especially considering how good OSU is at home. Oregon State returns pretty much everyone and beat Arizona last year at home. I think they only lost a game or 2 at home all year.
Yup! An at large bid quality OOC schedule has proven to be elusively unavailable. Its hard to schedule schools which have no desire for unnecessary OOC competition. So nobody plays us at the ARC, nobody plays us on a neutral floor and most don't want us anywhere near their home courts. Wouldn't be surprised if feelers weren't directed toward UConn also. This is the reality of our situation.

If we do not win the HL tournament and with maybe only 4 losses do not receive a bid then check back with us and we will really entertain you.  ;)

Valpower

Quote from: motowntitan on August 27, 2015, 06:04:48 PM
You guys seriously need to look at who Oakland has coming in.  They only finished two games behind you and will be even better next year.

Two eligible transfers from Iowa State and one possibly from Texas.

If all of them keep their heads on straight, you will be challenged.

So who isn't "looking" at who they're bringing in?  There's a huge difference between losing NO Key players on a team to losing two key players and replacing them with players who are highly regarded but not yet integrated into or proven in the rotation.

bbtds

Quote from: classof2014 on August 27, 2015, 06:03:44 PM
Truly any of these teams can upset Valpo and get to the dance.

1.) Milwaukee
2.) Oakland
3.) Wright State
4.) Detroit
5.) Cleveland State

Bingo.

Quote from: wh on August 27, 2015, 04:50:58 PM
Quote from: UConnHoops on August 27, 2015, 02:04:40 PM
Which team in every ones opinion poses the biggest threat to a regular season title and more importantly the conference tournament title (auto birth)?

No one.

Quote from: a3uge on August 27, 2015, 05:19:40 PM
Valpo returns 98% of minutes and 99% of their points scored for a team that won both the conference tournament and regular season title. Nobody poses a threat for the regular season title. It would take a major injury for Valpo to not win the regular season. The two teams behind Valpo last year have lost their best players, so the competition for the next best team has dropped significantly.

The latter two are way too overconfident as we know the Horizon League has been very balanced in years past and anything could happen. Yes, Valpo should be favored but assuming it's over before it starts leads to Kone-syndrome.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/moussa-gueye-and-mohamed-kone/article_ceb13240-bdd9-11e2-99a0-0019bb2963f4.html

Kone got off on the wrong foot with the coaching staff (but the right one with the media) when he said during a preseason interview that he was sure he was going to dominate the Mid-Continent Conference. Kone also got off on the wrong foot with several of his teammates, including Dan Oppland, during some now-infamous practice altercations.

The 2005-06 Valparaiso team ranks right up there with the 1997-98, 2001-02 and 2012-13 teams as having the most talent in school history. Oppland, Howard, Berdiel, Huff, Loyd, Colclasure and Miles were seven studs that should've won the Mid-Con with their eyes closed. Consider that freshman Brandon McPherson scored just three more points than Moussa Mbaye on the season and that freshman Jake Diebler hit less field goals than walk-on Jim Hooper and you get the idea of how loaded this team was. Throw in Kone and everything should've been great.

Kone's numbers (10.9 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 bpg) weren't the problem. I can still hear the sound of a Kone block. I'd never heard anything like it. The closest I've seen to a Kone dunk in the last 10 years comes whenever Vashil throws down a jam. Kone was a monster in the paint.

No, it wasn't his contributions on the court that killed the 2005-06 team, it was his presence off the court. Maybe it was his arrival. Maybe it was the first time a punch was thrown in practice. Maybe it was because he was a one-year rental. At some point, the chemistry of that team went off the rails and when it did, any chance at success went out the window.

If Mo Kone never shows up, I say the Crusaders win the Mid-Con running away that season.

vu72

My guess is that when the dust settles who we "brought in" will be as good as any team.  We not only "bring back" all contributors but we "bring in" an LSU transfer, a 7'1" Indiana All Star and, a kid who was the starting point guard on a very solid Horizon League team and perhaps one who is the quickest player on the team.  I think we will be fine.  I'm glad these other teams will have great teams.  Perhaps, just perhaps, The Horizon League will actually win some of these OOC games and get some great press. Let's hope so...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Kyle321n

Quote from: bbtds on August 28, 2015, 07:06:19 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/moussa-gueye-and-mohamed-kone/article_ceb13240-bdd9-11e2-99a0-0019bb2963f4.html

Kone got off on the wrong foot with the coaching staff (but the right one with the media) when he said during a preseason interview that he was sure he was going to dominate the Mid-Continent Conference. Kone also got off on the wrong foot with several of his teammates, including Dan Oppland, during some now-infamous practice altercations.

The 2005-06 Valparaiso team ranks right up there with the 1997-98, 2001-02 and 2012-13 teams as having the most talent in school history. Oppland, Howard, Berdiel, Huff, Loyd, Colclasure and Miles were seven studs that should've won the Mid-Con with their eyes closed. Consider that freshman Brandon McPherson scored just three more points than Moussa Mbaye on the season and that freshman Jake Diebler hit less field goals than walk-on Jim Hooper and you get the idea of how loaded this team was. Throw in Kone and everything should've been great.

Kone's numbers (10.9 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 2.1 bpg) weren't the problem. I can still hear the sound of a Kone block. I'd never heard anything like it. The closest I've seen to a Kone dunk in the last 10 years comes whenever Vashil throws down a jam. Kone was a monster in the paint.

No, it wasn't his contributions on the court that killed the 2005-06 team, it was his presence off the court. Maybe it was his arrival. Maybe it was the first time a punch was thrown in practice. Maybe it was because he was a one-year rental. At some point, the chemistry of that team went off the rails and when it did, any chance at success went out the window.

If Mo Kone never shows up, I say the Crusaders win the Mid-Con running away that season.

So as long as Smits or Hammink don't start throwing punches I think we should be good. Considering Hammink was here last season and seemed to get a long with the players on the team (he and Jubril were at an infamous party together last season), and Smits from everything I've seen is an extremely high caliber person we shouldn't have that problem.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on August 28, 2015, 07:36:59 AM
My guess is that when the dust settles who we "brought in" will be as good as any team.  We not only "bring back" all contributors but we "bring in" an LSU transfer, a 7'1" Indiana All Star and, a kid who was the starting point guard on a very solid Horizon League team and perhaps one who is the quickest player on the team.   I think we will be fine.  I'm glad these other teams will have great teams.  Perhaps, just perhaps, The Horizon League will actually win some of these OOC games and get some great press. Let's hope so...

Um ......so we are bringing Lexus "in" -- not "back," right?  I suppose if Shane had to sit out last year by rule and is being brought "in" and Lexus had to sit out by medical necessity then that could be "in"  too   :-\

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 28, 2015, 10:49:32 AM
Quote from: vu72 on August 28, 2015, 07:36:59 AM
My guess is that when the dust settles who we "brought in" will be as good as any team.  We not only "bring back" all contributors but we "bring in" an LSU transfer, a 7'1" Indiana All Star and, a kid who was the starting point guard on a very solid Horizon League team and perhaps one who is the quickest player on the team.   I think we will be fine.  I'm glad these other teams will have great teams.  Perhaps, just perhaps, The Horizon League will actually win some of these OOC games and get some great press. Let's hope so...

Um ......so we are bringing Lexus "in" -- not "back," right?  I suppose if Shane had to sit out last year by rule and is being brought "in" and Lexus had to sit out by medical necessity then that could be "in"  too   :-\

My point is only that we are "adding" these guys to a team that is loaded in the same way as the other teams are "adding" players.  If they couldn't play last year then, by definition, they are additions.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Yeah, I know.  I was just being a bit picky.  BTW, speaking of Lexus, we have a load of experience, speed and athleticism in our 3 sophomore guards that portends well for this and the next two years. This is gonna a be a nice run.

Pgmado

Oakland is by far the top threat to Valpo. By far.

UConnHoops

Quote from: Pgmado on August 28, 2015, 01:30:33 PMOakland is by far the top threat to Valpo. By far.

I over looked Oakland when researching the conference. The fact that the Horizon Tournament has a new format and will be in Detroit helps Oakland. Valpo is the team to beat though. Hopefully they get a shot at some of the teams that may not want to play them in the NCAA Tournament.

a3uge

Oakland lost over 40% of their roster from last year, so there's going to be a bunch of guys playing together for the first time. They lost two of their top three players that lead in points and minutes. It's a similar place Valpo was in last year, I guess. I just hope they can finish above .500 this year.

Im always wrong about preseason predictions, but I think UWM will finish 2nd or 3rd and UIC might surprise a few with an actual coach. Oakland should finish 2nd or 3rd.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on August 28, 2015, 04:09:05 PMIm always wrong about preseason predictions, but I think UWM will finish 2nd or 3rd and UIC might surprise a few with an actual coach. Oakland should finish 2nd or 3rd.
I agree that UIC should be on the uptrend and that UWM will be very competitive but if Oakland finishes any lower than second it will be their own fault.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on August 28, 2015, 01:30:33 PM
Oakland is by far the top threat to Valpo. By far.

Oakland will not win the HL until they...

...stop playing their key players so many minutes.  As good as they were last year, they flat out ran out of gas at the end of the season, losing 5 of their last 9 games including their last 3. 
...start playing as hard on the defensive end as they do on offense. It took us 4 or 5 years in the HL to learn that you have to punish the other team defensively as much or more than they do you.  Oakland isn't there yet.
...quit living and dying on the perimeter.  Last year they were 1st in 3-pt. attempts/game and 7th in 2-pt. attempts.
...start strategically using time outs to stop huge momentum swings.  Last year they lost at least 1 regular season conference game for this reason and worse let the UIC tournament game get completely out of hand before calling a time out. Result - 1 and done.
...line up their players along the FT line on Oakland FT attempts.  If they get just 1 offensive put back or offensive rebound on a missed FT, it conceivably could be the 1 play that makes the difference in the game.  If there's any other team in college basketball that does this, I've never seen it.

These shortcomings all stem from Kampe's in-game coaching philosophy.  IMO as good a recruiter as he is (and he's very good), he is no more than an average game coach. That said, the only way Oakland will get to the promised land is if they clearly out recruit the rest of the league. That is not the case this year with the talent and experience Valpo has.   

justducky

Quote from: UConnHoops on August 28, 2015, 03:49:24 PMI over looked Oakland when researching the conference. The fact that the Horizon Tournament has a new format and will be in Detroit helps Oakland. Valpo is the team to beat though. Hopefully they get a shot at some of the teams that may not want to play them in the NCAA Tournament.
Thank you.

In no particular order (except that Butler deserves the top spot) we would like to line up those Bulldogs, Notre Whatever just 40 minutes away, the Purdue- down the road a piece- Boilermakers and if Northwestern or DePaul were ever good enough to make the tournament we would like to meet up with them someday as well. Wait! Did I forget the Hoosiers?

classof2014

Oakland is a threat to Valpo, in the form of a tournament upset. They are perfectly capable of beating anyone because of the uptempo style they play. In the HL that uptempo and gimicky style Kampe runs just won't work. He's an okay coach that thinks out of the box, some things work while most don't. Don't understand basically going with a six player lineup. He has some good players and brought in some decent transfers. How often do transfers from a bigger program to a smaller work out. If they had B1G, Big 12, SEC, talent they most likely would've remained with the team they were on or if they transferred gone to a similar level team, not dropping to the level of an Oakland. Will there two recruits have success, probably, but will they tear up the HL and put Oakland over the edge? Not a chance.

If Oakland wants to consistently challenge for the HL crown Kampe needs to completely change his style of coaching. It's almost like he still coaches like Oakland is a DII program. If he doesn't change his style to a more typical D1 program Oakland will be sporadic from year-to-year. Oakland will be good next year but it's going to be more of the same. They will be a good team because they have talent but they won't win the tournament. They are capable of upsetting Valpo and are the most likely team in my mind to do so but they aren't a true contender.

If Oakland wants to become what Valpo is; Kampe needs to change or Kampe needs to go. 

78crusader

I disagree with you guys.  If we make the conference tournament final -- and we should -- then I think we will play Oakland, and it will be a 5-point game either way.  Oakland always plays VU tough.  Their games against VU are the ones they circle on their calendar.  We will get their best effort, you can count on that.

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on August 29, 2015, 10:42:26 AM
I disagree with you guys.  If we make the conference tournament final -- and we should -- then I think we will play Oakland, and it will be a 5-point game either way.  Oakland always plays VU tough.  Their games against VU are the ones they circle on their calendar.  We will get their best effort, you can count on that.

Paul

If it gets to a Valpo/Oakland final at the Joe in downtown Detroit Valpo will need to bring the fans and not worry about the unwarranted bad publicity that Detroit has gotten about their city.

atkins

I've consistently said that we have to beat a BCS-like team to gain national respectability.  I'm beginning to think that this team can do it this season against a certain team out west.  Topping URI would be icing on the cake.  We have to come in with an attitude.  In the past, those sorts of "big games" seemed to intimidate us (with the exception of our Maryland game last year).  No more intimidation on our part...unless it's intimidating the competition. 

historyman

Quote from: motowntitan on August 27, 2015, 06:04:48 PMYou guys seriously need to look at who Oakland has coming in.  They only finished two games behind you and will be even better next year. Two eligible transfers from Iowa State and one possibly from Texas. If all of them keep their heads on straight, you will be challenged.

There is no guarantee that because the Grizzlies have guys coming in from high majors that they will be more successful. Valpo has seen many times in the past that this is just a correction in the way that the player should have been recruited in the first place. It does leave a possibility that OU could be improved by their newcomers but until the HL sees how these newcomers play (and behave) in the HL they can not be counted on to sway their team one way or the other. Kampe's record is not exactly perfect in this area but then nobody's is in the HL.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

More schedule details forthcoming this week: the Horizon League ESPN television schedule will be released today, and the full men's Horizon League conference schedule will be announced tomorrow (women's schedule to be announced on Friday).

a3uge

Looks like they moved the semifinal game to a Monday. Back to back games on a neutral site... What could go wrong?

a3uge

Quote from: historyman on September 02, 2015, 06:19:17 AM

There is no guarantee that because the Grizzlies have guys coming in from high majors that they will be more successful. Valpo has seen many times in the past that this is just a correction in the way that the player should have been recruited in the first place. It does leave a possibility that OU could be improved by their newcomers but until the HL sees how these newcomers play (and behave) in the HL they can not be counted on to sway their team one way or the other.

*Cough* Carlton Brundidge *Cough* *cough*

classof2014

Usually there's a reason why somebody transfers "down" chances are they have talent but they probably won't tear up the HL. There really has only been two transfer downs that have turned out well LaVonte Dority from South Florida and Julius Mays from North Carolina State, which he then left for Kentucky.

Just looking at recent history for Valpo we've had some quality transfer "down" players: Ben Boggs from Virginia Tech, Will Bogan from Ole Miss, Moussa Gueye from Alabama, Bobby "No 3s" Capobianco from Indiana, and LaVonte Dority from South Florida; LVD was the only star player out of that group everyone else were quality players but not superstars by any means. Usually you have better luck with transfer "ups" from smaller programs or JUCO because they show the talent that they can play at the higher level.

This isn't even going into the quality of person they may be getting. Like many have said Oakland doesn't have a good history with bringing in good people.