• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vashil Fernandez

Started by classof2014, July 21, 2015, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Vashil will be back this season

Yes
19 (59.4%)
No
13 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

classof2014

Since there has been tons of talk about Vashil coming back or not and nobody really knows it'll be interesting to see what the general consensus is out there on whether or not he'll be suiting up in brown & gold for another season.

VULB#62

I'm going with a yes, because a rumor like this does no one any good if it is false.  And in the past, when things like this popped up and were actually untrue, Mark or someone either posted the truth or found some way to squash it.  Nothing like that has happened over the last 2+ months.  That prompts me to believe that things are happening and that he will play.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 21, 2015, 05:52:54 PMThat prompts me to believe that things are happening and that he will play.

And hopefully for us!  Not for a graduate transfer team.

FWalum

Despite my earlier comments on this to the negative I was swayed by what appeared to be a lot of circumstantial evidence that Vashil was coming back. However, in the last couple of weeks I have begun to slip back to the negative side because the silence from the program has been deafening.  I can't think of one really good reason for him to come back unless his wife has unfinished commitments in the area.  I know everyone thinks he will continue to improve with another years experience, but the guy really doesn't need basketball does he?  It certainly appears, from all we know from his academic accomplishments, that he could get a good stable job making nearly as much or more than he would gallivanting around some foreign countries with a young family. I would like for him to come back for selfish reasons, but I am on the fence right now as to what will happen.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

If the opportunity for Vashil to come back does indeed present itself, I don't see why he wouldn't agree to come back. I would imagine his basketball goal is to make it to the NBA, which right now are very slim and if he comes back another season and keeps improving those odds go up.

I'm not saying he's NBA material because very few players are but his chances do increase with another college season, especially if he keeps improving.

What does he have to lose? If he wants he can play in Europe now or next season. There was without a doubt he was a crowd favorite and a student favorite on campus.

Smj

difficult topic. ...   don't get me wrong - I loved watching him play last year and his progress was actually quite staggering. ...   however,  if it takes another players spot I say he should not play - commitments were already made to other players.   

FWalum

Quote from: classof2014 on July 22, 2015, 09:14:00 AMIf the opportunity for Vashil to come back does indeed present itself, I don't see why he wouldn't agree to come back.

Did you read my post??  I will name a few...

Bridget - New Wife
Maia - New Daughter
Lots of travel in a foreign country most likely with out New Family
Master's degree in International Commerce & Policy
Potentially good stable job in his chosen field

I think you are assuming that his dream is to play in the NBA.  Is it?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Quote from: FWalum on July 22, 2015, 10:15:12 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on July 22, 2015, 09:14:00 AMIf the opportunity for Vashil to come back does indeed present itself, I don't see why he wouldn't agree to come back.

Did you read my post??  I will name a few...

Bridget - New Wife
Maia - New Daughter
Lots of travel in a foreign country most likely with out New Family
Master's degree in International Commerce & Policy
Potentially good stable job in his chosen field

I think you are assuming that his dream is to play in the NBA.  Is it?

I would imagine it is his dream to play in the NBA, the potential to make millions is there in the NBA, will he get to that level if indeed he is NBA material is slim but the opportunities to go into international business will be there a year from now. Also if Vashil does peruse a career in international business he'll most likely need to travel a lot anyways.

Obviously the only one that truly knows whether or not Vashil will be back is Vashil, who knows if he's even made a decision. I don't know what are Vashil's career aspirations, is it to be a businessman or play professional basketball, either one is a great option.

valpotx

I would say that the only entity who knows whether Vashil is coming back would be the NCAA, not as much Vashil ;).  If he applied for another year, the assumption is that he would take it, if granted.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpofan00

Relvao is going to be way too good for us to lose him for vashil just for 1 year.

Smj

I agree with Valpofan00.....

VULB#62

Chairback

He's going to be back. It's a matter of time before it's announced.

If we have the opportunity to bring back the defensive player of the year you do what you can to bring him back.   The season is long and well worth having to tell someone else they have to move on.  If smits gets injured we are screwed without Vashil. 

To me it would have to be Davidson.  Great kid but not not a D1 player.  Just find a way to help him with academic $ if he wants to finish here.  It's not unethical but a reality of how life works. 

wh

Earlier in this discussion someone (sorry, don't recall who) made the point that if Vashil has in fact been granted another year, that means that the NCAA has righted a wrong in having declared him ineligible his first year. That said, the wrong isnt righted unless and until the Athletic department offers him a scholarship for another year. As the poster noted the obligation to Vashil should take precedence here.  I'm hard pressed to disagree.

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 23, 2015, 06:46:53 PM
Earlier in this discussion someone (sorry, don't recall who) made the point that if Vashil has in fact been granted another year, that means that the NCAA has righted a wrong in having declared him ineligible his first year. That said, the wrong isnt righted unless and until the Athletic department offers him a scholarship for another year. As the poster noted the obligation to Vashil should take precedence here. 

I'm wondering what the proper definition of "obligation" may be.  I'm relatively sure that Vashil's schooling costs were paid while he was deemed ineligible.  If I'm correct, didn't we pay for four years of college?  If so, what is the additional obligation owed?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Way out thought.  Based on a positive appeal and Vashil being granted that lost year.  Why would the university then have to dump a credentialed scholarship player to make room for him?  That would be an unfair penalty on any young man who drew the short straw.  Might this be a precedent for a temporary (one year only) 14th scholarship or a red-shirted year on scholarship?

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2015, 11:13:34 PM
Way out thought.  Based on a positive appeal and Vashil being granted that lost year.  Why would the university then have to dump a credentialed scholarship player to make room for him?  That would be an unfair penalty on any young man who drew the short straw.  Might this be a precedent for a temporary (one year only) 14th scholarship or a red-shirted year on scholarship?

Not far out at all. In fact it makes perfect sense - so much so that I'm now wondering if the reason we haven't heard anything official is the athletic department is making that very appeal to the NCAA.

VULB#62

And the NCAA taking it own sweet time.  :-\

Kyle321n

I've got an easy solution to the 13th scholarship. Redshirt Davidson. He gets to practice with the team, keeps his scholarship for the year and frees up the 13th slot for Vashil. It's really not that hard.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vusupporter

Redshirts count against the scholarship limit.

VULB#62

Quote from: vusupporter on July 24, 2015, 09:09:44 AM
Redshirts count against the scholarship limit.

Yep. That is why they need to appeal for a I year waiver for the 14th slot.

Pathfinder

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2015, 11:13:34 PMWay out thought.  Based on a positive appeal and Vashil being granted that lost year.  Why would the university then have to dump a credentialed scholarship player to make room for him?  That would be an unfair penalty on any young man who drew the short straw.  Might this be a precedent for a temporary (one year only) 14th scholarship or a red-shirted year on scholarship?

I have never heard of the NCAA granting an extra scholarship. Can't see any basis for doing so.

nkvu

What about this scenario. Davidson gives up his scholarship, walks on and is redshirted. He finishes his degree on his own dime (don't know how many hours he needs, maybe minimum?). Then next year he returns to team on scholarship and does first year of grad school. Possible?

agibson

Quote from: nkvu on July 24, 2015, 04:13:03 PM
What about this scenario. Davidson gives up his scholarship, walks on and is redshirted. He finishes his degree on his own dime (don't know how many hours he needs, maybe minimum?). Then next year he returns to team on scholarship and does first year of grad school. Possible?

I don't quite have the details at my command.  But I think someone covered a scenario like this (but maybe thinking particularly of a player with an NBA dad) in another thread.  Somehow even taking an official visit, let alone having year or two on scholarship, makes you ineligible for this plan?

nkvu

I seem to recall that athletic scholarships are granted one year at a time. So next year Davidson doesn't get one or any other financial aide.  The following year he gets one. We know a player can not get a scholarship and still walk on.  Stainbock did it at Xavier last year. So why couldn't Davidson walk on and redshirt?  And what would prevent Valpo from giving him an athletic scholarship for one year following a walk on year?  Xavier did it for Stainbock's brother. Of course now that I think about it Nick will only be a junior next year so if he's a walk on next year and gets his scholarship back for his senior year he would get a full ride for three out of four years. Not a full four year ride but still a pretty good deal if he really wants to finish his degree at Valpo without transferring. I mean Valpo has dropped scholarships for kids before when it became clear that they weren't as good as the other players even though they were great guys etc. At some point they have to decide if having Vashil back for one more year is worth more to the program than having Nick for two. A tough decision on a lot of levels but that's why Bryce and co. are paid the big bucks.

Of course, that's assuming Vashil can in fact come back for another year.  Not saying what Valpo should do. Just speculating on what they could do.