• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

AP named one of most complete BB players

Started by valpospartan, August 10, 2015, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpospartan

valpotx

I think that articles like this further justify Alec's decision to come to Valpo, where he has been able to work on his game much more than he would have at a larger school, while coming off of the bench his first two years.  I look forward to seeing the same being written about Smits in a few years!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

It's also worth noting that the Top Twenty is comprised of 16 seniors, only 3 juniors (including Alec), and 1 sophomore (Melo Trimble).

VULB#62

I noticed on the Valpo Athletic FB page that Alec has been named to the Naismith BB HOF watch list as a power forward -- one of only 20 in the nation and the list includes all of D-I. Quite an honor to be mentioned with players from Kentucky, Wisconsin, UCLA, etc..  Here's the PF page.  To the right on this page are links to the other position lists. Didn't see Centers list, however.

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2015/10/13/twenty-candidates-announced-for-2016-karl-malone-award.html

I checked the other 3 posted categories (PG, SG. SF). Alec is the only HL player mentioned at any position.  It is also interesting to note that we face 3 watch list players in our OOC schedule:

Shooting Guard -- AJ English (Iona) and EC Matthews (URI)
Point Guard -- Gary Payton Jr. (Oregon State)