• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/4/13, 6:00pm: Cleveland State @ Valpo Game Thread - ESPN U

Started by Valposter, January 03, 2013, 10:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valposter

Need to rebound quickly! 

Valpo 73

CSU  65
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

agibson

Looking forward to this one!

It had better be a little taste of redemption - certainly a good shot at it.

And, to accommodate ESPN I suppose, it's an early start - meaning I'll be there in person, with my family.

valpotx

Even though my expectations have again been lowered, I don't even see a performance like last night causing us to lose to CSU this year, as they are bad.

Valpo 67
CSU 59
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Valpo takes out its frustration on Cleveland State in front of an ESPN U audience:

Cleveland St.  59
Valparaiso      72

valpo84

Twitter reporting that Trey Lewis has a broken finger on the LH and will be in a cast for about 4 weeks and then some rehab. CSU has had a bunch of injuries early. Nonetheless, always want to win against Gary... by a lot. Hopefully, the team has had an introspective review of their performances, and come out ready to pounce.

Valpo  71
CSU    54
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo84 on January 03, 2013, 12:29:49 PM
Twitter reporting that Trey Lewis has a broken finger on the LH and will be in a cast for about 4 weeks and then some rehab. CSU has had a bunch of injuries early. Nonetheless, always want to win against Gary... by a lot. Hopefully, the team has had an introspective review of their performances, and come out ready to pounce.

Valpo  71
CSU    54
A CSU fan I follow on twitter insists that we will win by 40 points.  Even with this new injury you mention stacked up on all the rest, I refuse to buy into such hyperbole.  I'll have to see such a thing to believe it.

vuweathernerd

seeing as the students won't be back yet, i'm kind of disappointed that this game is going to be televised nationally. but i'd like to think that we can recover from last night and play well enough to win. i'm thinking somewhere in the 10-15 range will likely be the margin of victory.

crusadermoe

Yes, it will be played on ESPNU for a national audience..... and also for DOZENS of fans watching at the ARC.    Keep the recruits away from the mausoleum (Berman) this time.

To draw fans, they shouuld give away free cheese at the ARC in honor of the legendary Kenny "Mouse" McFadden.   Those were the days.

talksalot

I don't know if those of us at the scorer's table ever thanked for crowd for their cheese slices that night... at least they were wrapped and made for a quick cleanup.

I'd suggest that the folks who normally sit in CC or DD come down to the Student Section seats and GET WILD to get on TV...but I'm not an usher.   

OH, and Bryce won't beat anyone by 40... he's been calling off the dogs at about 25 and settling in...

valporun

I have a feeling that some students had the HL Conference games on tv circled on their calendar, so they'll be there...

wh

We will dominate a beat-up CSU team, Luke Gore will say in the post game that they had a great day of practice between games, and we will know nothing more about where we're at going forward than we do right now.

truth219

Luke gore should be on the hot seat. I haven't seen great coaching this year and you know bryce isn't going to get tossed. How long has luke coached here and how many banners we got.

VUfan

VU 72 CSU 60  :) VU remembers to help on defense and offense

wh

Quote from: truth219 on January 03, 2013, 06:48:46 PM
Luke gore should be on the hot seat. I haven't seen great coaching this year and you know bryce isn't going to get tossed. How long has luke coached here and how many banners we got.

This is Luke's 11th year.  The last time I looked at the banners hanging from the rafters, we have 2 since Luke has been here - 2003 and 2004.

(Talk about throwing me a hanging curve over the middle of the plate... ;))

truth219

Yeah....two in ten years...no ncaa tournamnet in 8 years....time to move on.

vubballfan10

I must say... I am looking forward to see Kevin and Bobby go up against Devon Long and Luda Ndaye.  The interior is where Valpo will win this game with Grady being out for CSU. 

valporun

Wouldn't we have 3 banners in Luke Gore's 11 seasons on the Crusader bench? 2002-2003, 2003-2004, and 2011-2012? Sure, there is a wide gap in there, but I'll agree. He hasn't helped us as much as some of the coaches that were in his seat previously. I'll be honest, I've also never been a big fan of Jake Diebler on our coaching staff. He was a decent player, but I feel like his style of play got into his coaching, and has made it so our guard play is more about the loose ball, rather than doing the productive things to get the ball in the nylon. For as many of you that want Bryce to stay at Valpo for 20+ seasons, maybe it's time for him to branch out, expand his horizons, at a school that will pay him more, regardless of his record at VU. How many coaches throughout college basketball haven't had amazing records at one school before moving on to another school? It's inevitable, in my opinion, that Bryce moves on to a bigger program. Not saying he'll go to a B1G Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 school, but he'll end up somewhere that will pay him, and provide money for coaches that won't be as cheap as Valpo has been.

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 04, 2013, 02:42:01 AM
The last time I looked at the banners hanging from the rafters, we have 2 since Luke has been here - 2003 and 2004.

Not sure if I should connect the dots here, or not.

As wh was saying rather, but not quite, directly we have more than two banners.  They're just not all hanging over Homer Drew court. 

vu72

To be fair to Luke, part of his tenure has been the move to the Horizon, which was a big move up from the Summit and thus the need to recruit at a higher level.  I presume Luke has been part of the recruiting success we've seen of late.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: agibson on January 04, 2013, 11:21:07 AM
Quote from: wh on January 04, 2013, 02:42:01 AM
The last time I looked at the banners hanging from the rafters, we have 2 since Luke has been here - 2003 and 2004.

Not sure if I should connect the dots here, or not.

As wh was saying rather, but not quite, directly we have more than two banners.  They're just not all hanging over Homer Drew court. 

You connected the dots perfectly.  Truth219's question about the number of banners we've earned in Gore's tenure gave me another vehicle to raise the "misplaced banner" fiasco (not that it matters that much to me  ;)).

agibson

Oh, you laid them down like a trail of breadcrumbs.  At least for anyone who reads the board regularly.

I wasn't sure whether I should reassemble the loaf for everyone, or just leave the couple who may have missed it hanging.

VULB#62

The banner thing really doesn't matter -- cuz, in our newly refurbished and expanded ARC (dedicated in 2023) all banners will be holograms which will be hung in every room including the restrooms.  The players will be holograms as well and they will electronically send in their performance wirelessly without ever having to leave their dorm room.  Of course, no one will physically attend the games in the bricks and mortar ARC, because they will be seated in their living rooms where they will create a virtual ARC and not have to leave their couch.  Their holograms, in turn, will project to their assigned seats and the place will be PACKED for every game. GO CRUSADERS!

VULB#62

Sorry about that last post.  Totally inaccurate.  The players will send in their performance from their living room as well, because they will be attending Valpo virtually.  The whole friggin world will be a video game.

wh

We were favored by 9 over Loyola and lost by 9.  We are favored by 13 over CSU, so:

CSU 72 Valpo 59

Just kidding (hopefully)!