• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/4/13, 6:00pm: Cleveland State @ Valpo Game Thread - ESPN U

Started by Valposter, January 03, 2013, 10:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

oklahomamick

I understand Cleveland State is hendered by injuries but its good to see the team win by 25+ and Broekhoff only score 13
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

LaPorteAveApostle

hey 219...

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

I cleaning towards agreeing with truth on the Capo issue.  He isn't scoring near the hoop he isn't helping in the paint, he can't seem to get off the floor and dunk or block shots.  I was glad to see Vashil get a lot of time tonight and I really liked the substitution patterns tonight.

I hope Bobo figures it out and shows off why IU recruited, because right now we are only really seeing why they didn't fight too hard to keep him. 

Note: I really don't like dogging on players like this

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

truth219

Aren't we as fans aloud to call it as we see it...or must we all be cheerleaders.

oklahomamick

he rebounds and blocks a shot from time to time.  He looks a little top heavy as he has difficulties running the floor and jumping.....
CRUSADERS!!!

truth219

He struggles at making point blank shots with no one in front of him. Capo can't dribble what so ever...one thing I miss from richie edwards...he could dribble some. Bobby just looks sloppy even down to his facial hair....I mean he was advertised as a cory johnson type finess player but its not working for me. Give vashil some more minutes

swiftmutiny

According to Paul Oren... Rossi has some unnamed medical issues, and Boggs just had some turf toe.

Much better game than against Loyola, but I'm still flabbergasted at the number of stupid turnovers. How many of those losses so far this season would be wins if just unforced turnovers were eliminated? I'd wager at least 3. And how many of our wins would be blowouts?

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm not telling you what you're "aloud" to do--I find it funny that you are all picking on a guy not two months removed from hernia surgery.

Gee!  Do you think MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY might have ANYTHING TO DO with his newfound struggles?

I also find it funny that you Internet Tough Guys would never say anything like that and put your name to it--let alone to his face.  Hernia or not, I'm sure he'd show you how wrong you were.

truth219

Id say it to his face....I don't mind yelling at the top of my lungs to take him out at the arc while sitting in section b...wwhere a lot of the players folks sit. I paid for my ticket I have the right to say whatever I want as long as it isn't crude. You can use that hernia crutch all you want, but its obvious bryce doesn't mind sitting guys that aren't 100 percent....ben boggs turf toe. I'm pretty sure what we see is what were going to get. He is an awful defensice player. He loses his man all the time.

LaPorteAveApostle

And you're awful at spelling, grammar, and punctuation; but I don't call you out on it.*

If you watched this game tonight, and all you have to say is "Capo sucks", then you don't have a problem with him.

You have a problem with life.

Seriously, who watches a 25-pt blowout and rags on the backup big man playing hurt?  That's like watching "Mad Men" and complaining about how bad the children in it are at acting.

(*that's praeteritio, my favorite trope)

Seriously, dude, you don't know how good you have it.  Guys like you watch the US Olympic team win gold and say crap like "there weren't enough assists" and "LeBron sucked tonight".

vu72

Bobby has struggled and then agsin burys a 3 from the corner.  Seems like "truth" thought bogan wasn't any good either.  Maybe I'm wrong on that one but probably not.

Look, the team is not performing as I had hoped and based on Bryce's post game it isn't to his expectations either.  Time will tell if we get it together.  I like his analogy comparing us to the Lakers.  Just adding star power doesn't make you an instant success.  We need to blend and that is taking much longer than expected, let's all hope it comes together in time for another championship.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

truth219

I like will...he has a lot of talent like I said before he just needed to get his head out of his a55...he did that tonight. Buggs looked good tonight. Dority can force his shots at times. Yes it was a 25 point win, but against a team that is rebuilding and injured. They were awful..they missed 20 shots in the first half...and didn't take advantage of our turnvers. I personally still didn't think we looked sharp tonight...our rebounding was the bright spot...and the fact we won

LaPorteAveApostle

valpopal

Quote from: truth219 on January 04, 2013, 07:40:21 PM
Bobby capobianco is awful...he has no upside at all..

Unbelievable: Valpo wins by 24 points and this is the kind of comment posted. Clearly, there is no way to satisfy some folks. As for Bobby: he had 6 points in 12 minutes (Kevin had 6 points in 20 minutes), which when averaged to a starter's 24-30 minutes for Bobby would be a fine 12-15 points. By comparison, CSU's two big starters, Kamczyc (an HL preseason 2nd team selection) and Long played 33 minutes and had 0 points.

truth219

Did you watch the game. I made that post while I was. He isn't that good. Okay we beat a really bad team....yay

HC

Quote from: valpopal on January 04, 2013, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: truth219 on January 04, 2013, 07:40:21 PMBobby capobianco is awful...he has no upside at all..
Unbelievable: Valpo wins by 24 points and this is the kind of comment posted. Clearly, there is no way to satisfy some folks. As for Bobby: he had 6 points in 12 minutes (Kevin had 6 points in 20 minutes), which when averaged to a starter's 24-30 minutes for Bobby would be a fine 12-15 points. By comparison, CSU's two big starters, Kamczyc (an HL preseason 2nd team selection) and Long played 33 minutes and had 0 points.

He should've had 10-12 points if he makes his lay ups. My IU friends gave me warning what they saw while he was there, and I'm just hoping to prove them wrong....so far I can't do that. I'm hoping its a healing process from his surgery (I think his leaping might be affected but his hustle up and down the court/stamina where things I was warned about). I'll give him a few more weeks.

valpopal

Quote from: HC on January 04, 2013, 10:59:38 PM
Quote from: valpopal on January 04, 2013, 10:21:30 PM
Quote from: truth219 on January 04, 2013, 07:40:21 PMBobby capobianco is awful...he has no upside at all..

He should've had 10-12 points if he makes his lay ups. My IU friends gave me warning what they saw while he was there, and I'm just hoping to prove them wrong....so far I can't do that. I'm hoping its a healing process from his surgery (I think his leaping might be affected but his hustle up and down the court/stamina where things I was warned about). I'll give him a few more weeks.

Hard to score 10-12 points when he only took 5 shots, unless we expect him to make them all.

HC

When all but 1 was a foot from the hoop and basically uncontested its not that far of a stretch. I'm not trying to trash the guy, we need him to play well, we need him to be better which if its from his injury I'm willing to wait a few more weeks and hope for some improvement in his stamina and mobility.

valpopal

Ryan had a quiet double-double, especially after going almost the whole first half without a score. Jordan also nearly had a double-double. But Will and Matt were the other two who had outstanding games, though Matt missed a number of threes and free throws; so here are a few photos of the two of them.

One picture shows Matt after he got smashed on a drive and no foul was called. He was hurt pretty badly in the ribs and in a lot of pain for a long while. He angrily let the official know it, and it was clear to me the official realized Matt was right. I had some doubt that Matt would return to the game, especially with the big lead, but he came back to continue scoring, including the shot shown here, for which the official was sure to call a foul as well:

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on January 04, 2013, 09:43:07 PM
Bobby has struggled and then agsin burys a 3 from the corner.  Seems like "truth" thought bogan wasn't any good either.  Maybe I'm wrong on that one but probably not.

Look, the team is not performing as I had hoped and based on Bryce's post game it isn't to his expectations either.  Time will tell if we get it together.  I like his analogy comparing us to the Lakers.  Just adding star power doesn't make you an instant success.  We need to blend and that is taking much longer than expected, let's all hope it comes together in time for another championship.
Exactly! I don't know what some of you folks were expecting from our transfers but from my viewpoint both Capo and Dority are already better players than I was expecting and Coleman is way better than I had hoped. Vashil on the other hand is playing just about as he was described and we still have no idea what Rossi might contribute. My disappointment has been  with some of the senior class and the slow integration of all the new parts and pieces (coaching?).

We did get to see Capo play a little 4 tonight and I still have  hope that the go-big option will be given some mileage. Working in all these different lineup combinations is going to take some time and patience, but I continue to believe that it will be well worth the wait.