• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/4/13, 6:00pm: Cleveland State @ Valpo Game Thread - ESPN U

Started by Valposter, January 03, 2013, 10:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

We never saw the "two big" option used during the Loyola game.  I was glad that Bryce still recognizes it as a possibility.
Beamin' Beacons

vuweathernerd

ya know, i think truth's comment about liking bogan was the first positive thing they've said since joining this board. granted, the night started off with another round of 'capo sucks,' but i guess we'll have to take what we can get.

i like that bryce never really completely called off the dogs last night - he let them continue to run through their offensive sets and never let csu back into it after the lead got up to the 20 point range. and every time, csu tried to make a run to get back into it, we answered with a big bucket to drain their momentum. kudos to bogan and kenney for big nights from range, and rowdy on another double-double. that said, we do need to find a way to get the big guys back into the swing of things. kvw looked a bit disjointed last night, but vashil showed some potential.

oklahomamick

Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 05, 2013, 07:45:01 AMbut vashil showed some potential.

I think Vashil could block more shots if he did not rind up everytime, he's always late.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

CSU does a good job of overloading against opposing teams' best offensive weapons and forcing others to beat them.  They were all over Ryan from beginning to end and collapsed someone down low to help on interior defense.  That left others like Matt and Jordan wide open at times.  One time Matt was SO wide open he had time to look down and check his foot placement before he shot. In another sequence Jordan missed a wide open 3 from the left baseline, Capo (I think) got the rebound, whipped it back to Jordan still standing unguarded at the same spot, and he shot again.  Not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but it won't be often that they have easier opportunities to score than they did last night. 

It's another reason why Ryan was clearly the MVP of the game.  Rather than forcing anything just to get his points like a lot of no.1 players do, he quietly went about his business knowing that others were going to get better looks and trusting them to get the job done.  Even then he still finishes with a double-double. I have never seen a guy with his level of talent be so unselfish.  He IS the ultimate team player.   

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on January 05, 2013, 08:56:19 AM
CSU does a good job of overloading against opposing teams' best offensive weapons and forcing others to beat them.  They were all over Ryan from beginning to end and collapsed someone down low to help on interior defense.  That left others like Matt and Jordan wide open at times.  One time Matt was SO wide open he had time to look down and check his foot placement before he shot. In another sequence Jordan missed a wide open 3 from the left baseline, Capo (I think) got the rebound, whipped it back to Jordan still standing unguarded at the same spot, and he shot again.  Not to take anything away from their accomplishments, but it won't be often that they have easier opportunities to score than they did last night. 

It's another reason why Ryan was clearly the MVP of the game.  Rather than forcing anything just to get his points like a lot of no.1 players do, he quietly went about his business knowing that others were going to get better looks and trusting them to get the job done.  Even then he still finishes with a double-double. I have never seen a guy with his level of talent be so unselfish.  He IS the ultimate team player.   
Well said, I agree.  Opponents are going to force players like matt, will and ben beat us.  They will have to step up. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 05, 2013, 08:56:19 AMIn another sequence Jordan missed a wide open 3 from the left baseline, Capo (I think) got the rebound, whipped it back to Jordan still standing unguarded at the same spot, and he shot again.

And, if memory serves, they got _that_ rebound as well, and finally scored a bucket.  A memorable sequence.

Here it is:

MISSED 3 PTR by COLEMAN, Jordan     10:48           
REBOUND (OFF) by DORITY, LaVonte     10:48           
MISSED 3 PTR by COLEMAN, Jordan     10:45           
REBOUND (OFF) by KENNEY, Matt     10:45           
GOOD! JUMPER by DORITY, LaVonte     10:30

agibson

Quote from: swiftmutiny on January 04, 2013, 09:01:51 PM
According to Paul Oren... Rossi has some unnamed medical issues, and Boggs just had some turf toe.

Much better game than against Loyola, but I'm still flabbergasted at the number of stupid turnovers. How many of those losses so far this season would be wins if just unforced turnovers were eliminated? I'd wager at least 3. And how many of our wins would be blowouts?

To be fair, Paul didn't say directly that Rossi had medical issues.  But, it's probably a reasonable assumption that Oren thinks he does.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/287336581008859136
and following.

agibson

OK, here it is in the Post Tribune piece
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/17391869-556/mens-basketball-valpo-comes-out-firing-after-loss-players-only-meeting.html
Men's basketball: Valpo comes out firing after loss, players-only meeting
By Michael Osipoff 648-3137 or mosipoff@post-trib.com January 4, 2013 10:38PM

Notes: Boggs missed the game because of turf toe, a problem that has been bothering him since the Murray State game. He would have been available in an emergency, with Drew estimating his capacity at "50 percent." ... California transfer Alex Rossi, who last played against Purdue Calumet, has been dealing with "medical" issues, and will be further evaluated, with more expected to be known in the next several days, Drew said.

StlVUFan

Quote from: HC on January 04, 2013, 08:29:26 PM
I cleaning towards agreeing with truth on the Capo issue.  He isn't scoring near the hoop he isn't helping in the paint, he can't seem to get off the floor and dunk or block shots.
Bobby blocked a shot last night without fouling for what feels like the 5th time in the last couple of weeks.  I don't know what Capobianco you are watching.

On the other hand, I am getting sick of seeing him unable to finish at the basket, especially when lightly/un-contested.

HC

Maybe blocking shots wasn't right, but certainly isn't scoring by the hoop or helping very well when his teammates get beat by a driving opponent.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 05, 2013, 01:23:46 PMOn the other hand, I am getting sick of seeing him unable to finish at the basket, especially when lightly/un-contested.

There were a couple of doozies last night, for sure.  I remember well Coleman going up for a dunk attempt - only got the ball sort of half-way above the rim. 

vu72

Did anybody else wonder why in the world ESPN would choose, going to commercial, to show the Porter county courthouse instead of the Chapel?  Here have one of the great structures in college and a striking image particularly at night, and they don't show it?  Can you imagine them doing a Notre Dame game and instead of showing the golden dome, choose to show the South Bend City hall?  :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on January 05, 2013, 02:58:35 PM
Did anybody else wonder why in the world ESPN would choose, going to commercial, to show the Porter county courthouse instead of the Chapel?

I heard that they wanted to show last year's HL championship banner as they went to break but couldn't find it anywhere inside the ARC.  So, they assumed that the University must not be interested in showcasing its basketball achievements on a national stage, and put up a stock photo they had of the courthouse instead. 

Smj

Quote from: wh on January 05, 2013, 03:34:23 PM
I heard that they wanted to show last year's HL championship banner as they went to break but couldn't find it anywhere inside the ARC.  So, they assumed that the University must not be interested in showcasing its basketball achievements on a national stage, and put up a stock photo they had of the courthouse instead. 

:lol:   (Good one)

However, I think it is because we were laying down the law....

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Smj on January 05, 2013, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: wh on January 05, 2013, 03:34:23 PM

:lol:   (Good one)

However, I think it is because we were laying down the law....

they did make a pun of that around the time that shot was shown, if memory serves.

crusadermoe

Didn't get to see any of the game last night.    Will take the big win even tho it sounds unimpressive to hear the posts.

What was the game atmosphere?    Lame?   Glad we caught a bad team for game #2 of Christmas break.   

When the students come back I wonder if they will go to any of the January games or just wait for the Butler game at the ARC?

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 05, 2013, 05:52:14 PM
Didn't get to see any of the game last night.    Will take the big win even tho it sounds unimpressive to hear the posts.

What was the game atmosphere?    Lame?   Glad we caught a bad team for game #2 of Christmas break.   

When the students come back I wonder if they will go to any of the January games or just wait for the Butler game at the ARC?

Box score say 3676 with no students.  That could be pretty close as it looked like there we quite a few folks in the upper deck.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on January 05, 2013, 06:01:49 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on January 05, 2013, 05:52:14 PM

Box score say 3676 with no students.  That could be pretty close as it looked like there we quite a few folks in the upper deck.

i agree, the building looked pretty good last night, and even the student section had people in it (granted, mostly families and such).

valporun

I want to say the women's basketball team was sitting in the student section too, at least from what I saw on ESPNU, but those who were there would know better.

StlVUFan

The lower level was pretty close to full.  The upper level looked 1/3rd to 1/2 full when I looked.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 05, 2013, 08:07:17 AM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on January 05, 2013, 07:45:01 AMbut vashil showed some potential.
I think Vashil could block more shots if he did not rind up everytime, he's always late.

Was just perusing through some old game threads of Vashil's early days. Little did we know that three seasons later, he'd lead the nation in blocks.
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

We are going to miss the rim protector.  Great guy!  I can't believe how much he improved over the 3 years. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I told you so, says that big Vashil proponent of season's past ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Vashil couldn't even catch the ball.  Now hes catching the ball in stride and dunking.
CRUSADERS!!!