• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on April 20, 2016, 12:24:52 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 20, 2016, 11:32:46 AM
Per the Indianapolis Star:

Recruiting: Hazen gets plenty of new interest

Recruiting Insider
Kyle Neddenriep, IndyStar 12:11 p.m. EDT April 20, 2016

Columbia City senior Brachen Hazen is gaining plenty of interest after receiving his release from Central Florida following a coaching change.

The 6-7 Hazen, named to the IndyStar Indiana All-Star team last week, averaged 16.1 points per game as a senior for Columbia City. Here's an update on Hazen's recruitment:

• Arkansas coach Mike Anderson had an in-home visit with Hazen on Monday. He'll take an official visit to Arkansas beginning Monday of next week.

• Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew, who recruited Hazen while coach at Valparaiso, had an in-home visit in Columbia City on Tuesday. He'll take an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt on Friday.

• Ball State was in Tuesday for an in-home visit. Hazen is working on setting up an official visit to Ball State.

• Hazen has a workout scheduled at Purdue on Thursday.

• Virginia Tech is planning to see Hazen at a workout in Columbia City or set up an in-home visit.

I still think Valpo is a little closer to Columbia City for his brother and family to watch games, than say Nashville, Lafayette, or Arkansas

Brachen Hazen has chosen Arkansas.

ValpoDad89

Didn't they have a recent "in home" with him along with Vandy? Wonder how Bryce feels losing a kid he recruited at his former stop to a fellow conference member?

That being said, any word on Zachary Hollywood? An AAU coach I know here locally played against him a few times and said he needed to develop some "bulk" or size if you will, but said he had a very good skill set. Reminded me of Alec Peters to a small degree on the video I saw. Great around the basket and can extend defenses with his range on his outside shot.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2016, 09:24:13 PM
Quote from: covufan on April 20, 2016, 12:24:52 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 20, 2016, 11:32:46 AM
Per the Indianapolis Star:

Recruiting: Hazen gets plenty of new interest

Recruiting Insider
Kyle Neddenriep, IndyStar 12:11 p.m. EDT April 20, 2016

Columbia City senior Brachen Hazen is gaining plenty of interest after receiving his release from Central Florida following a coaching change.

The 6-7 Hazen, named to the IndyStar Indiana All-Star team last week, averaged 16.1 points per game as a senior for Columbia City. Here's an update on Hazen's recruitment:

• Arkansas coach Mike Anderson had an in-home visit with Hazen on Monday. He'll take an official visit to Arkansas beginning Monday of next week.

• Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew, who recruited Hazen while coach at Valparaiso, had an in-home visit in Columbia City on Tuesday. He'll take an unofficial visit to Vanderbilt on Friday.

• Ball State was in Tuesday for an in-home visit. Hazen is working on setting up an official visit to Ball State.

• Hazen has a workout scheduled at Purdue on Thursday.

• Virginia Tech is planning to see Hazen at a workout in Columbia City or set up an in-home visit.

I still think Valpo is a little closer to Columbia City for his brother and family to watch games, than say Nashville, Lafayette, or Arkansas

Brachen Hazen has chosen Arkansas.
Tweet re: Hazen and Arkansas. Good quick catch Pal! [emoji6]

2016 Columbia City (IN) F Brachen Hazen has committed to Arkansas. (HT @NorthernINHoops) @brachen_ https://t.co/4LueLE5bDl

vufan75

Not that it matters, just curious how BD/RP feel in losing Hazen a 2nd time. I assume they recruited him to some extent while coaching at Valpo? Win some lose some I suppose. I might have to check out the next SEC games when Vandy plays Arkansas. In opposite divisions within SEC, but still fun to watch from a distance.

ValpoDad89

Today I had lunch at the Palmer House in downtown Chicago, saw a bunch of "celebrities" and former NFL greats. It was cool but the people I was with and myself decided to hang at the lobby bar for a drink after our lunch and met a guy who we started conversing with who turned out to be Joey Bosa's dad, John Bosa. Met Joey's little bro Nick who is going to Ohio State next year and, according to his dad, is better than Joey. Joey is projected to be the 4th pick. John played in the NFL with Miami and the Jets. But what he said resonated with me respective to recruiting. Joey had opportunities to play for the myriad of Florida schools as well as Alabama. His lead recruiter at OSU was Larry Johnson, their LB/ DL coach. They met Saban, Musgrave, etc. but what set OSU apart was the relationship they developed with Larry Johnson (Larry's kid was the same Larry Johnson who played and had some great seasons with the Chiefs). John Bosa told us his confidence and trust he felt with Larry swayed him and Joey to choose OSU. Joey is from Ft Lauderale St. John Aquinias. Big move. While he likes Urban Meyer And thinks he's a good guy, the difference was the realtionship  they developed with an assistant, Larry Johnson.

Yes, I know, football is different than basketball but we all know that basketball recruiting is done through the assistants and the HC usually closes the deal. But when you have a staff, which I think Matt has acquired, that is quality, you can get kids that maybe wouldn't look your way because you're assistants make the inroads. The key being the trust these parents put into the guys coming in and recruiting their kids.

As an aside, as we are finishing up a guy sits next me to at the bar. We start making small talk and I see he has some "bling" on his ring finger. I thought it was a Super Bowl Ring and I ask, man that's a nice ring who'd you play for? He played for Mt. Union in Ohio and for those that don't know, Mt, Union was a DIII powerhouse for years. They had a streak of like 103 wins in a row. As we were talking, I know, I'm going to bring up my daughter, but  I mentioned she's at Valpo and he said Valpo ? Really? Valpo was on his top 3 back in the '90's and loved the campus and the feel of it. Said it was good school but liked My. Union better from a pure football standpoint. Turns out he's the co agent / financial advisor for Vernon Hargreaves who is projected to be a first rounder out of Florida. At worst a 2nd round selection. This gentleman grew up and still lives in Ocala, FL. Just goes to show that this small university is known by others outside the NW Indiana / Southland Chicago area. He gave me his card and if anyone needs financial advice he can help. Be glad to share his info for anyone who needs it and like he said, just wants to talk football!!! Good guy.

rogerwilco

Joey Bosa was at Ohio State before Larry Johnson joined the coaching staff. However, he did play a big part in recruiting Nick Bosa.
Joey committed to OSU in April 2012. Johnson didn't join OSU until January 2014. Joey was primarily recruited by Mike Vrabel.

VULB#62

Quote from: rogerwilco on April 27, 2016, 11:42:42 PM
Joey Bosa was at Ohio State before Larry Johnson joined the coaching staff. However, he did play a big part in recruiting Nick Bosa.
Joey committed to OSU in April 2012. Johnson didn't join OSU until January 2014. Joey was primarily recruited by Mike Vrabel.

Mike Vrabel is not chopped chicken liver either.

rogerwilco

It was rumored that a physical confrontation between Urban Meyer and Mike Vrabel accelerated Vrabel's departure to the Texans, but I did not hear it from a Crusaderette.  :P However, this tale might be more of an Urban legend.

ValpoDad89

Here is what John Bosa told us. He said Joey wasn't recruited, exactly by Urban Mayer. He spoke highly of Larry Johnson and his  trust in him, I assumed he recruited Joey by how highly John spoke of him. We asked, you being and NFL 1st rounder (John was chosen #16 in 1987 and his maternal uncle, Eric Kumerow taken, ironically #16 in 1988 by both the Dolphins and how John met his ex wife, that is Joeys mom) how couldn't your kid, with the genes being where they are be something more? He laughed and said, my kids have good genes, no doubt.

Now we didn't talk Joeys recruiting in depth but we asked how close were you were in Joey being the player he is?  We knew he went to OSU amd left it at that. I mean, my God, he's an NFler and He succinctly pointed out Larry Johnson and their Strength and Conditioning coach had made him the player he is today. He pointed out Larry Johnson personally. He said while  his communication with Joey has been limited, Joey spent most of his time with his position coach, LJ and the strength and conditioning coach as they have been his mentors and had to limit his own communication to that as there is some trust there. He trusted them and you can't argue with who he became.

Lastly, he said Nick, Joey's brother, had more offers than Joey but he was going to Ohio State, not because of Mayer but because of Larry Johnson and the trust he had in him. He introduced us to his GF Mimi from Portland, Or. As she just came back from the spa, hung out for a minute and left and I said well  John i take it you and Joe and Nicks mom aren't together anymore and he said we divorced amicably, we just grew apart over 16 years. He said we never argued and that's what the problem of our relationship was, no passion. Open guy and good guy. Glad his kid got drafted higher than he thought as he was nervous.

Here's what we can all use for those in relationships, he said we were cool to each other but never argued, in the end there was no passion in their realtionship anymore. He was like if you guys are married, ignite the passion.

He hung with us and had a good time I'd like to think. That being said, he was open an honest and said the reason Nick isn't somewhere else is because of Larry Johnson. He said he trusted Larry Johnson more Than any other person to develop his sons.

I can only say this, Nick Bosa, who we met for a moment, is going to OSU because of Larry Johnson. John said LJ is the best  position coach out there and someone he puts his trust in him totally. Never mentioned Vrabel at all.

I assumed Johnson was a recruiter in Joey. It appears he wasn't. But Joey's mom Cheryl, went to OSU and Joey's uncle, Eric Kumerow went there as well. I'm sure that helped the recruitment of both kids.

ValpoDad89

RogerWilco, don't underestimate what a Crusaderette may know man. Dudes love coeds in hot Pants!!!

rogerwilco

I had a #14 Eric Kumerow OSU jersey when I was 9. Time flies.

ValpoDad89

RogerWilco, if I've done anything but drawn some attention to the Crusaderettes, then as a dad to one I've done my job!!! ;D Eventhough you guys suck, I love being here!!! And I say that was that highest terms of endearment!!! ;)

rogerwilco

I learned from a Crusaderette that it's "Pompon" and not "Pom-pom."

vusupporter

Anyway, any word about 2016 recruits?

bw12

I don't post on this board often, but thought I would post something recruitment related. Jon Rothstein tweeted that Larry Austin from Xavier will be visiting Valpo. He just finished his sophomore year, so he would sit out a year but could be a great point guard to get for the 2017 season while still being a part of the 2016 team.

bw12

VU2014

bw12,

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

vu72

Quote from: bw12 on May 02, 2016, 11:54:17 AM
Here is his ESPN recruitment profile too. Happy reading!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/117587/larry-austin

Hard to imagine this kid was only a 3 star with that many high major offers.  Also hard to imagine another point in the mix.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2016, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: bw12 on May 02, 2016, 11:54:17 AM
Here is his ESPN recruitment profile too. Happy reading!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/117587/larry-austin

Hard to imagine this kid was only a 3 star with that many high major offers.  Also hard to imagine another point in the mix.

I was thinking the same thing.  I think that the Valpo way is to get the talent here, make sure they are compatible with other teammates, then to figure out roles.  We can have 3 or 4 guards on the floor, they just need to know what to do on the O and D ends.

VU2014

If Larry Austin Jr. did come to Valpo I think it could be a fit. It's always good to have 2 kids that can run the point. He'd have to sit out this year anyways, so if Keith gets a 2nd year we'd have him and Bradford this season and in 2017 we'd have Micah and Austin to run the point and both are smaller guards at 6' and 6'2 but both can play off the ball. Micah can spread the floor and has a pretty good 3 point jump shot and can drive to the basket, and from what I've seen from Larry Austin vids on youtube (there is a lot out there), he an ok jump shot as well could play the 2 guard when needed.

Plus from what the lesson we learned this season we need a 2nd point guard. I was holding my breath every-time Shane and E-Victor had to run the point to give Keith a rest or when he got hurt. Tevonn is a natural 2 and I don't remember him running the put at any point last season. We have Lexus who was a great surprise his freshman year and was a great on the ball defender but after that ACL injury we never got to see him play. Hopefully he'll get the burst and athleticism back this season. He'd be a red shirt senior by the time Larry would potentially join the team.

crusader05

Spike has committed to Purdue University. Not that he really was every floated as an option but always good to have a better picture of who and where is still open

valpotx

It's interesting how we are always lumped in with Pacific, when recruiting kids. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Hollywood went Ball State.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on May 04, 2016, 04:09:26 PM
Hollywood went Ball State.

I'm guessing that Hollywood was more of a Ball State player (I know, they beat us--and no disrespect to Zach ) than a Valpo player.  He was a Coaches 4th team all state player.  I think Matt is aiming a little higher.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Potential Valpo target Ade Murkey (MN) is no longer. He just committed to Denver. https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/728771362341314560

Side Note: Did you guys see Oakland just got a former 4 star PG transfer? The kid was originally at Oklahoma State and got into some legal trouble. Got kick out of school and played JUCO last season and is now at Oakland. Sounds like another good talent get for them. Kampe is not afraid to bring in kids with some trouble pasts. https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/728338288256364544