• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN Bubble Watch

Started by valpocleveland, February 02, 2016, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 14, 2016, 09:34:38 PM
Another good article explaining why mid majors are essentially not eligible for at large bids:

http://basketballpredictions.blogspot.com/2016/03/how-well-did-computers-predict-field.html?m=1

In an effort to wrap up my bubble watch thinking I came back to reread this. Like most of you I trust quantifiable numbers more than subjective observational thinking even when both can sometimes lead to incorrect analysis. By both approaches the deck has still been stacked and the system gamed. The selection committee needs a whole new approach for the good of the game.

I think our home loss to Wright St was by far the most damaging but had that been a win I suspect we still would not have made it.  Thoughts?

covufan

Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2016, 10:25:45 AMI think our home loss to Wright St was by far the most damaging but had that been a win I suspect we still would not have made it.  Thoughts?
I would agree that the WSU loss at home was the most damaging.  If we win that game and the Ball State game, I believe we would have been in. 

Valpower

Quote from: covufan on March 24, 2016, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2016, 10:25:45 AMI think our home loss to Wright St was by far the most damaging but had that been a win I suspect we still would not have made it.  Thoughts?
I would agree that the WSU loss at home was the most damaging.  If we win that game and the Ball State game, I believe we would have been in. 
But, think about this.  What if we'd won the Oregon game, but everything else remained the same (and let's say that Oregon made up for it with another game)?

agibson

Quote from: Valpower on March 24, 2016, 03:11:36 PMBut, think about this.  What if we'd won the Oregon game, but everything else remained the same?

Change Oregon to a win, leave their record diminished, and everything else the same, there's a good chance Valpo's in. Maybe Oregon drops a seed. Maybe not.

ValpoDad89

Oregon would have dropped a seed and no more as they won the Pac 12. As far as us, we would have one of the best road wins in the history of mid Majors, would've increased our RPI at least 5-10 spots and we would've been in easy. WGB in the tourney and that loss, in perspective, kept us from the tourney. There was no way Wright St. would've beat us, as shorthanded as we were, 3 times...no way.

historyman

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 25, 2016, 12:16:42 AM
Oregon would have dropped a seed and no more as they won the Pac 12. As far as us, we would have one of the best road wins in the history of mid Majors, would've increased our RPI at least 5-10 spots and we would've been in easy. WGB in the tourney and that loss, in perspective, kept us from the tourney. There was no way Wright St. would've beat us, as shorthanded as we were, 3 times...no way.

Now think that if Oregon drops a seed then Michigan State gets to be a #1 seed. If Mich St is a #1 seed they don't lose to Middle Tennessee Nowhere. Maybe Izzo should think again about taking graduate transfers from places such as Valpo, Cleve St, etc. Bad Karma----it's all bad karma for the Spartans.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Hey, RPIologists,

With  Oakland's loss in the Vegas 16/8 last night, what are the projected VU final RPIs with.....

(A) a win over GW
(B) a loss to GW

Also will the results of the Final 4 come into play with our final RPI?