• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

First Time Poster- time to leave the Horizon

Started by HinsdaleVUguy, March 08, 2016, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Wichita St. has gone public in their interest in the MWC.  WSU wants to fund football (ask New Mexico St and Idaho for advice) and join the MWC.  The MWC has 12 football schools right now with an option to add New Mexico St. and Idaho if they wanted.  Don't think the MWC wants either so why would they want a new program in Wichita St?  Is WSU basketball program attractive enough for the MWC to warrant a new football program?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548/wichita-state-interested-in-joining-mountain-west-may-bring-back-football

The Big12 is also rumored to add two programs.  http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/3/11576606/byu-football-big-12-expansion-texas-tcu-memphis  Like them or not, options are Memphis, Cincinnati, BYU, Boise St. Houston.  I don't know how this would effect the HL.  Maybe a domino effect where the American Conference takes one or Wichita St. or a A10 school in which forces the A10 to take one or two.  Who knows. 

Would be nice to have a Big East type of league with the smaller players.  Something more similar to the Big West.  Valpo, Detroit, Belmont, Evansville, SLU, Loyola, Drake, Oral Roberts. 
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 04, 2016, 10:11:55 AMThe Big12 is also rumored to add two programs.  http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/3/11576606/byu-football-big-12-expansion-texas-tcu-memphis  Like them or not, options are Memphis, Cincinnati, BYU, Boise St. Houston.

If the Big12 is serious about football, they need at least twelve teams for a Big12 Championship Game.  If they want to increase their footprint, everyone but Houston would be a good choice. 

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 04, 2016, 10:11:55 AMThe Big12 is also rumored to add two programs.  http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/3/11576606/byu-football-big-12-expansion-texas-tcu-memphis

Yesterday, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, ahead of some significant league meetings, told reporters that the consultants the league hired determined that a 12-team conference with eight conference games gives the Big 12 the best chance at making the College Football Playoff.

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/727237743386853376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Said consultancy came up with an oddly specific number as well:

How this group managed to come up with exactly 4-5%, given that we have a sample size of exactly two, based on the subjective opinions of a dozen or so people on a secret ballot...well, that's beyond me. That's why I am a humble writer, and not a high-paid college football consultant. SBNation.com wrote a little bit this morning about why trying to assign some statistical probability to this feels pretty silly, and I have to admit, I agree.

You have got to be kidding me!  Can anyone with half a brain send an invoice to Bowlsby to collect their consultancy fee?  Sounds more like Bowlsby was buying drinks for a couple of friends.  Or strangers. 

VU2014

If the Wichita St. leaves the MVC, I'm not sure I would want Valpo to leave the HL for MVC if we got an invite. It's conference is already watered down with Creighton leaving and with WSU leaving it would look worse. I'm not sure its realistic but the A-10 invite would be the absolute best situation for Valpo. I don't think it's going to happen though.

I sort of wish the we could form our own conference with other schools and make a junior Big East type mid-major conference with midwestern mid-major power houses.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 04, 2016, 11:54:26 AM
If the Wichita St. leaves the MVC, I'm not sure I would want Valpo to leave the HL for MVC if we got an invite. It's conference is already watered down with Creighton leaving and with WSU leaving it would look worse. I'm not sure its realistic but the A-10 invite would be the absolute best situation for Valpo. I don't think it's going to happen though.

I sort of wish the we could form our own conference with other schools and make a junior Big East type mid-major conference with midwestern mid-major power houses.

Agreed.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

The MVC is geographically viable (wouldn't need to double our budget just for travel), and contains schools with much bigger budgets than the Horizon. Valpo to the MVC is a no brainier for us; I'm not sure if it's a no brainer for them.

VU2014

Unfortunately in the current college athletics landscape biggest factor in getting an invite to a larger conference has to being in a particular geographical region and trying to tap that region for viewers for TV contract ratings. NWI is about 823,388-1M roughly (depending on how many counties decide to include as "Northwest-Indiana"), plus the population of NWI is shrinking (even though Valpo is growing from what I've heard). Also Indiana is a pretty unique midwestern state that it has 2 Big Ten teams and Notre Dame as a powerhouse in sports that will always remain king in terms of media attention and viewership/fan loyalty. It's just tough for Valpo to gain traction, unless Valpo went on a historic Butler like run and forces attention and viewership on the program.

valpotx

Seriously, we got relegated to the 'others' portion of the statement speaking about the HL, when we are really the only team with national name recognition?  The HL is like the WAC?  What interesting comments!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

The Horizon League is in conversations with NMSU????? ??? ???

Will NMSU be covering the bill for all the non-bread winning sports to fly all the way out there? That is a ton of travel expenses. I could see adding east coast team or two but it never crossed my mind that a team that far away could possibly join the conference.

VULB#62

They'd be the only FBS football school in the HL  --  unless they drop down to FCS (doubtful).  They'll keep football.

covufan

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 04, 2016, 06:42:31 PM
Horizon League part of NMSU survey?

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/blogs/cruces-sports-extra/2016/05/04/nmsu-survey-regarding-conference-alignment-horizon-league/83937868/

I don't see this happening.  NMSU needs to perform a very real assessment of their athletic department, and the commitment needed to perform/play at the FBS level.  Only 3 winning seasons in the last 40?  They need to move to the Big Sky, and fully commit to FCS football.  The HL and FBS Independent is not a real option.

VULB#62

If I were NMSU, I'd downgrade to FCS and go Big Sky along with Idaho.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 05, 2016, 10:43:31 AM
If I were NMSU, I'd downgrade to FCS and go Big Sky along with Idaho.

NMSU staying at FBS:

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/nmsu/2016/05/05/chair-nmsu-football-staying-course-fbs/83978532/

I wonder if the Big Sky will let them place their oly sports there without football.  My guess is "no" since they gave Idaho an ultimatum.  Plus, there's the baseball issue, too.  The Big Sky doesn't sponsor baseball.  Where would NMSU baseball go?  Summit affiliate? HL affiliate?  They wouldn't leave the WAC for all sports except baseball.

VULB#62

oklahomamick

Are you sure they are talking about NMSU - New Mexico State University and not Northern Michigan State University?  They heard the conference tourney was in Detroit.
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

oklahomamick

It kind of looks like the Mid-Con and NSMU subbed in for Southern Utah. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Time for the best MVC and the best Horizon to partner up. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusaderjoe

Obviously we don't really know the level of "interest" that the HL has with NMSU and vice versa, but I gotta say you know, I'm starting to warm to the possibility of an NMSU add.  I think it could work so long as two understandings are in place from the beginning:  1)  that everyone understands that an NMSU add is a short or medium term addition in that once they get the call from an FBS conference for all sports, they are gone; and 2) that the HL add no one else in the west with them--for now.  Forget travel partners.  See #1 above on why.

NMSU brings some benefits.  Very solid basketball--they will not be an RPI drain and should help IMO. Most likely better weather for baseball and softball.  Expansion of the HL geographical footprint, which, IMO is a good thing.  You can't get too conservative with geographical compactness--see the SWC for guidance in that respect.  Put travel subs in place. Travel of course is the elephant in the room but I don't see it as being that terrible for Valpo at any rate.  I mean if we're going to cry about having some (note some, not all) of our teams having to travel once a year to Las Cruces, then maybe we shouldn't be D-I.  National travel sometimes comes with D-I territory.  It's not like Valpo hasn't traveled west before for a conference game either.  Southern Utah is holding on line #2 in case anyone has forgotten.

I'm starting to become intrigued by this.  An FBS member joining a league like the HL wouldn't be unheard of...BYU, UMass and Hawaii as FBS members have this oly arrangement currently.  It could work, maybe.

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 05, 2016, 08:15:37 PM
Are you sure they are talking about NMSU - New Mexico State University and not Northern Michigan State University?  They heard the conference tourney was in Detroit.

Northern Michigan is in Marquette, MI over 450 miles from Detroit. Valpo, UIC and Milwaukee are all closer to Detroit than NMU. Green Bay and Marquette, MI are 180 miles apart.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann