• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 36 Valpo vs. BYU, Madison Square Garden, Tuesday, March 29, 2016; 6 CDT

Started by agibson, March 23, 2016, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpower

I hope we do better than we did last time at Madison Square Garden.

crusaderjoe

Great video clip. 

I'm going to try and manufacture some useless VU uniform trivia from it.  The uniforms worn in the MSG clip read "Valparaiso" and not "Valpo" on the front.  In what year did the men's team last wear uniforms with the name "Valparaiso" on the front of the jersey? 

vu84v2

You have gotta love the long distance set shots and Valpo's striped socks.

vu84v2

So who does Valpo match up against Kyle Collinsworth? I realize that BYU has other good players, but Collinsworth is the guy that makes them go (and they are definitely up tempo). I would expect Tevonn Walker to get more minutes on Collinsworth since he is Valpo's best defensive guard, but would expect Darien Walker and Hammink to also get some time covering Collinsworth.

HC

That looks like the footage they show in Space Jam when showing the monstars what basketball is.

ValpoHoops

Line has not moved.

OVER/UNDER has dropped to 147 as consensus, but as low as 146 on some boards.

agibson

Great clip!

So many missed bunnies! So few lines on the court! (Gives "between the circles" a whole different dimension.)

Was that an underhand pass?

And some very long 2's! The bank shot looked like maybe an NBA range 3.

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on March 24, 2016, 06:29:23 PM
Great clip!

So many missed bunnies! So few lines on the court! (Gives "between the circles" a whole different dimension.)

Was that an underhand pass?

And some very long 2's! The bank shot looked like maybe an NBA range 3.
And so little contact, palming, traveling, and ball rotation.

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 24, 2016, 05:04:41 PM
You have gotta love the long distance set shots and Valpo's striped socks.

From those clips it looked like Janisch and the Warnkes got mugged a lot. I guess Valpo kids didn't play such a rough and tumble game as those Long Island kids did.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

usc4valpo

I hope Valpo gets a similar introduction as what the King of Entertainment got back in 1974.

bbtds

I had forgotten how grinding and monotonous Cosell's voice would get in just a few minutes.

bbtds

First pre-NIT Final story in the Times

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/crusaders-gearing-up-for-new-york-byu/article_d484e4a4-9a3d-58a1-8677-d1cebaa06173.html#utm_source=%5Bdomain%5D&utm_campaign=%2Femail-updates%2Fdaily-headlines%2F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline

Crusaders gearing up for New York, BYU

VALPARAISO — Alec Peters isn't sure what to expect when he visits New York City for the first time in his life next week. The Valparaiso junior is going in with an open mind, particularly when it comes to stepping foot in Madison Square Garden for the first time.

"Bright lights and busy streets," Peters said of his New York impressions. "I'm looking forward (to the Garden). I hope it overwhelms me to the point that I need to take a step back."

The Crusaders are stocked full of Chicago natives on the roster, but even residents of the Second City are looking forward to taking in some of the sights and sounds of New York. Tinley Park resident Jubril Adekoya talked up the fashion of SoHo and the appeal of New York pizza.

"I might have to sneak a couple (of slices)," Adekoya said. "Don't tell Coach Bryce, obviously."

Drew said earlier this week that the team would attempt to see some landmarks if they were given the time prior to Tuesday's National Invitation Tournament semifinal against BYU. Drew estimated that more than half the players on the roster had never been to New York.

As much as the players are looking forward to the experience of the biggest city in the country, they are also going there with the full intent of winning two basketball games and coming back to Valparaiso as NIT champions.

"We're just trying to go win a championship," Adekoya said. "We have to treat it like any other game. We'll go out there and go through the same pregame routine."

The Crusaders face a tall task in the order of BYU. The Cougars feature three players averaging more than 15 points per game and despite being from the same conference as St. Mary's, they play a much more up-tempo offensive system than the Gaels. BYU is led by Kyle Collinsworth, the NCAA's all-time leader in triple-doubles.

"You don't have to watch tape to know what he brings," Peters said of Collinsworth. "He's a complete player. He's got a pretty special game. They're a team that can really score. They're going to shoot a lot earlier (than St. Mary's). It's learning how to adapt to the game as it goes."

valpo84

Interestingly, BYU is a very left handed team.  I remember when we were more that way and it can cause early confusion.  Collingsworth is good, is he much different than Felder or Sykes?  Chase Fisher is a dynamic shooter.  He started as a Wake Forest recruit but the bzdelik era imploded and most of those early classes transferred. Better fit at BYU.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vusupporter

Oakland is a very left-handed, high-tempo team as well. That worked out OK for us.

VUfan

34 hours to game time We have the highest seed, best record and one of the deepest team talent wise. Lets enjoy the ride, the team has worked all year to get here.  ;D

HC

Valpo wins it 75-70

I think we might be an underdog when we face San Diego State in the finale.

vu72

We all know that technically we have been shorthanded all year with Derrik out.  Given our normal 9 deep playing rotation, we have actually only lost one game all year where we were at full strength and that was at Wright State.  Every other loss we were either short a player or had a player only able to give it a try for a couple of minutes.

Tonight we are at full strength and presumably as healthy as we've been in a long time.  Being healthy, on a neutral court, I like our chances.  Valpo 81-77
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

hailcrusaders

Quote from: vu72 on March 29, 2016, 03:09:03 PMWe all know that technically we have been shorthanded all year with Derrik out.  Given our normal 9 deep playing rotation, we have actually only lost one game all year where we were at full strength and that was at Wright State.  Every other loss we were either short a player or had a player only able to give it a try for a couple of minutes. Tonight we are at full strength and presumably as healthy as we've been in a long time.  Being healthy, on a neutral court, I like our chances.  Valpo 81-77

Even in the WSU game we were missing Keith with an ankle injury down the stretch
#CrusadersForever

nkvu

Gutted that one out. Hamink and Skara really came through to win it. On to the finals!

Woodford Reserve bourbon to celebrate this one!

bmlvu97

Hell of a game, all I can say.

OK now, who do we want to face in the final...

Brian
Brian M. Lenz
Valpo Class of 1997

VULB#62

From game tracker it appeared tha Alec couldn't hit anything in the final 8 minutes. Why all the attempted 3s when we were up by as much as 6?  I could not see what was happening - no tv. 

atkins

Lucky to win this one.  Did the guys forget how to hit free throws, protect the ball and box out?  Fortunately, BYU clearly had an off night.  We gave them plenty of chances, though.   

Valpower

I'll take it, but the 2-pt margin will bug me for the the interminable jaw flapping that will be done by the BYU faithful about the missed goaltending call (sorry, they had ample opportunity to add two more points after that). Very much to their credit, they came out with more intensity offensively and defensively. Hammink; he giveth and he taketh away...and then he giveth again. Yikes.