• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 36 Valpo vs. BYU, Madison Square Garden, Tuesday, March 29, 2016; 6 CDT

Started by agibson, March 23, 2016, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpower

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 29, 2016, 08:15:58 PM
From game tracker it appeared tha Alec couldn't hit anything in the final 8 minutes. Why all the attempted 3s when we were up by as much as 6?  I could not see what was happening - no tv. 
BYU was very disruptive to our less-than-snappy passes and slowness in the second half. We were afraid to take it inside like they were in the first.

wh

That was not a goal tend. Look up the rules. In colege you can block a shot after it hits the backboard as long as it's still on upward flight. The announcers were wrong. It was a great LEGAL block.

rink

Watched the first half at the office on ESPN App, nice 14 point lead, we looked great.  I eventually made it home, turn on ESPN ... tie game with 40 seconds left.  Yikes! Exciting finish, glad to be on the winning end.  (And I'm REALLY thankful the officials didn't pull a phantom foul of nowhere on that final 3 attempt / Hammink block.)

One more and I bust into the cellar for the good Valpolicella!

Valpower

Quote from: rink on March 29, 2016, 08:29:58 PM
Watched the first half at the office on ESPN App, nice 14 point lead, we looked great.  I eventually made it home, turn on ESPN ... tie game with 40 seconds left.  Yikes! Exciting finish, glad to be on the winning end.  (And I'm REALLY thankful the officials didn't pull a phantom foul of nowhere on that final 3 attempt / Hammink block.)

One more and I bust into the cellar for the good Valpolicella!
Go Valpo...licella!  One of my favorites, though my wife insists its only because it's got "Valpo" in the name.

justducky

BYU has great personnel for that 1-3-1 zone. We had seen almost none of it this season. We turned the ball over 20 times as a result.  BUT- we got the WIN even with them killing us in the second half.  :thumbsup:

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on March 29, 2016, 08:28:54 PM
That was not a goal tend. Look up the rules. In colege you can block a shot after it hits the backboard as long as it's still on upward flight. The announcers were wrong. It was a great LEGAL block.

First of all, congrats on another win.  Thought you guys should have been in the NCAAT, but kudos for making the best of your opportunity in the NIT.

Regarding the block, I did look it up and the NCAA changed the goaltending rule in 2008.  http://www.hoopville.com/2008/05/13/ncaa-ncaa-tweaks-goaltending-rule/

Good luck in the Final!

nkvu

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 29, 2016, 08:56:02 PM
Quote from: wh on March 29, 2016, 08:28:54 PM

First of all, congrats on another win.  Thought you guys should have been in the NCAAT, but kudos for making the best of your opportunity in the NIT.

Regarding the block, I did look it up and the NCAA changed the goaltending rule in 2008.  http://www.hoopville.com/2008/05/13/ncaa-ncaa-tweaks-goaltending-rule/

Good luck in the Final!
So as I read it if the shot was going up after it hit the backboard it was not a goaltend. It looked to me that the shot was going up so it was a good block. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 29, 2016, 08:15:58 PM
From game tracker it appeared tha Alec couldn't hit anything in the final 8 minutes. Why all the attempted 3s when we were up by as much as 6?  I could not see what was happening - no tv.

We attempted so many threes because that's what their 1-3-1-1 zone gave us (or whatever it's called). We seemed incapable of handling it in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half before finally exploiting it.

I'm not a basketball expert, but it seemed like the way to beat it was to swing it around the perimeter without dribbling, then patiently wait for an open shooter, or finally find a lane to drive. Valpo got a few open looks in the second half that they just flat out missed (airballed 3 or so) before finally sinking them. It was a frustrating game offensively - Valpo is centered around high ball screens and lots of offensive sets, and they just didn't gel against the zone. Lots of plays (alley oops) ended up stolen, and nice drives to get inside were blocked.

Overall, I liked the way Skara and Shane responded after their lackluster play in the second half. Skara had a great first half, but struggled down the stretch on both offense and defense. That three was clutch. Shane missed that free throw at the end, but of course responded with the game winning block.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 29, 2016, 10:40:56 PMLove the kid, but someone tell E.Vic to quit shooting 3's.

6 for 38 (.158) on the season. Don't know if that includes 0-2(?) tonight.
#CrusadersForever

valpotx

That was a fun game to watch, even though both teams had a ton of turnovers.  I am surprised that we didn't have many offensive charges in this game.  When they were playing in the 1-3-1, we would drive down the lane on occasion, and they seemed to just let us pass by.  You would think that with 3 guys in the middle, that someone would take a charge.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

The weakness of the 1-3-1 is at the baseline and extended.  You have to swing to the low baseline quickly and open corner Js are abundant.  If they gamble, then you attack the basket from the baseline.  The 10-12 footer along the baseline is also very open but the lost art of the mid-range J starts to come into play.  EVic had a couple open looks from the corner, but not the guy you want there.  Shane out high and Alec in the corner also provided some big offensive relief.  The other missing piece for much of 2d half was Darien with 3 fouls.  He had been attacking from the corner and hit a couple 3s from there too.  The big lineup helped offensively but couldn't contain the small guards.  Good composure late in making plays. Thought that was a pretty good ballgame to watch.  The GW vs SDST game was brutal.  By the way, in 1996 NCAAT in Phoenix, GW was the first game of the night session before our game.

Just remember in a tourney a win is a win is a win -- survive and advance.  Enjoy the ride!! 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Just some random stats:  We were out rebounded 45-42 (pretty rare).  Both teams had 17 free throws.  (Can't complain about the refs)We had 20 Turnovers to their 18 but, we had 18 assists versus their 8 (we played a better team game) We had five guys in double figures to their three (better team game)  We had 22 bench points to their 6!  (much deeper team)

Just heard a nice shout out from Ginger Zee on Good Morning America!  Apparently some Valpo fans had gone to see the broadcast!  Great Stuff!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Not sure how many are aware of the Valpo Athletics exposure page.  Here is a link to last nights photos and press conference. https://valpoathletics.exposure.co/valpobasketball-vs-byu-32816
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

govalpogo

Had a great evening in the city yesterday!  Buddy and I took the train in, had a nice dinner, and settled in for some...exciting basketball.  The atmosphere really picked up in the second half and I sensed that many of the neutral parties took up the cause of BYU as the "underdog."  The entire row behind us was from a local business that bought 20 tix to reward employees and they were rooting for BYU by the end (also rooting for the over/under to hit 147...bummer guys  :P). 

Overall impressed by the Valpo showing, a lot of local families took advantage of spring break to go together, including the family sitting across from us on the train in (95 grads).  No Pep Band from BYU, glad ours came to give that collegiate atmosphere!  It felt like the whole second half that Valpo was trying to stop a freight train rolling downhill, but somehow we figured out just enough to win.  Gutty performance in what became a really charged atmosphere! 

My experience of the BYU fan base is overall positive.  They are passionate and loud, but polite and even were gracious in defeat in the aftermath.  One couple even offered my friend and I their tickets to the championship game! 

Glad we were able to go and even more glad to see a Valpo Victory!

vu72

Quote from: govalpogo on March 30, 2016, 10:13:42 AM
Had a great evening in the city yesterday!  Buddy and I took the train in, had a nice dinner, and settled in for some...exciting basketball.  The atmosphere really picked up in the second half and I sensed that many of the neutral parties took up the cause of BYU as the "underdog."  The entire row behind us was from a local business that bought 20 tix to reward employees and they were rooting for BYU by the end (also rooting for the over/under to hit 147...bummer guys  :P). 

Overall impressed by the Valpo showing, a lot of local families took advantage of spring break to go together, including the family sitting across from us on the train in (95 grads).  No Pep Band from BYU, glad ours came to give that collegiate atmosphere!  It felt like the whole second half that Valpo was trying to stop a freight train rolling downhill, but somehow we figured out just enough to win.  Gutty performance in what became a really charged atmosphere! 

My experience of the BYU fan base is overall positive.  They are passionate and loud, but polite and even were gracious in defeat in the aftermath.  One couple even offered my friend and I their tickets to the championship game! 

so how full was The Garden?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

Quote from: vu72 on March 30, 2016, 10:33:56 AM
Quote from: govalpogo on March 30, 2016, 10:13:42 AM

By mid way through the 2nd half, the lower bowl was pretty well full as SDSU and GW fans filed in.  No one in the upper deck, they moved people down who had bought tix up there perhaps to make it look fuller/so security and ushers had less to worry about.  I see they haven't released any attendance figures with the box score...maybe 8-10k? About half full in a ~20k arena.  Didn't feel empty though.

bbtds

As is typical of these events. It was half full at the start of the Valpo/BYU game but was full in the lower half as the SDSU and George Washington fans arrived about halftime so they could see who won the first game and see the full game their team was playing in.

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on March 30, 2016, 12:58:23 PM

As is typical of these events. It was half full at the start of the Valpo/BYU game but was full in the lower half as the SDSU and George Washington fans arrived about halftime so they could see who won the first game and see the full game their team was playing in.

I saw the official attendance listed at about 8,300.