• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The next 30-45 days...

Started by 78crusader, April 01, 2016, 09:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

will be a very busy news cycle for VU basketball.  Let's hope the news -- coaches, transfers, recruits -- is all good.

Paul

a3uge

Quote from: 78crusader on April 01, 2016, 09:51:45 AM
will be a very busy news cycle for VU basketball.  Let's hope the news -- coaches, transfers, recruits -- is all good.

Paul
And no news is good news...

a3uge

Quote from: 78crusader on April 01, 2016, 09:51:45 AM

Paul
And no news is good news...

swiftmutiny

Is anyone else wondering whether or not Peters will declare for the NBA Draft? This year the rules have changed so that you can declare for the draft while still retaining your NCAA eligibility. It would give Alec the opportunity to perhaps attend the combine, and/or work out with an NBA team and get a better idea of where he stands in the eyes of NBA scouts.

More details on the changes this year: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-01-13/council-changes-date-students-remove-names-nba-draft

crusader05

I believe that he mentioned something about being interested in an interview or press conference but stated he would be talking over the Pros and Cons with Bryce

NativeCheesehead

If he wants to play in the NBA someday it makes sense to at least go through the process. I think the next month or so is going to be very fun.
My predictions (with no reason or info to support them)

1. Bryce stays
2. Alec stays
3. Spike returns to the Region to play for Vu
4. We bring in another big man for depth.

Here's the part where everyone tells me i'm not being realistic.  ;D

vu72

Quote from: swiftmutiny on April 01, 2016, 10:56:33 AM
Is anyone else wondering whether or not Peters will declare for the NBA Draft? This year the rules have changed so that you can declare for the draft while still retaining your NCAA eligibility. It would give Alec the opportunity to perhaps attend the combine, and/or work out with an NBA team and get a better idea of where he stands in the eyes of NBA scouts.

More details on the changes this year: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-01-13/council-changes-date-students-remove-names-nba-draft

I listened to a commentator the other night who said that anybody with any talent should declare.  There is nothing to lose.  You go through the camps, get a few tryouts and perhaps you hear someone wants to draft you. If not, you will find out exactly where your weaknesses are and how to improve your stock during the next year. 

He is not on any Mock Drafts I've seen.  I think he improved a great deal this year and there is nothing to say we might not see that improvement again next year.  Another five or so of muscle, continued improvement with his back to the basket and on the defensive end via added quickness.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I have to think that Alec will put his name in, and see if he gets invited to the various workouts.  It only makes sense for him to go through any workouts, if invited, and see how he is rated.  As long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can return to VU if he doesn't like where his name sits on pre-draft boards.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 01, 2016, 11:11:40 AM
If he wants to play in the NBA someday it makes sense to at least go through the process. I think the next month or so is going to be very fun.
My predictions (with no reason or info to support them)

1. Bryce stays
2. Alec stays
3. Spike returns to the Region to play for Vu
4. We bring in another big man for depth.

Here's the part where everyone tells me i'm not being realistic.  ;D

Albrecht has had his ban on transferring to a B1G school lifted. So he'll be at IU next year if they'll have him since he nearly enrolled there before choosing Michigan. So #3 is probably dead.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Valpo89

However, if he attended the various workouts and met with teams, when would he do that? If he did it in the next month, that would set him back academically and he wouldn't be able to graduate in early May. Am I correct on that?
If most of that stuff is after the school year, fine. But if it's in April, that would make it tough to stay on track to graduate.

wh

Hopefully, we will be spending the next 30-45 days developing an exit strategy for leaving our conference in decline and it's most recent band aid fix - an Oakland/DMU-centered tournament. 

oklahomamick

Does anyone know how Mark or Bryce feel about the HL?  Do they share the same sentiment towards the HL as several of the bloggers? 

Last time MVC looked at us, was it them pursuing us or did we really want it?
CRUSADERS!!!

cornonthe

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 01, 2016, 01:01:30 PM
Does anyone know how Mark or Bryce feel about the HL?  Do they share the same sentiment towards the HL as several of the bloggers? 

Last time MVC looked at us, was it them pursuing us or did we really want it?

From what I understand, when Creighton left the MVC, the MVC decided that they wanted a Chicago presence and urged UIC to apply. After finding only slack-jawed Division I pretenders with a high mid-major arena, the MVC nixed UIC and urged both Loyola and Valparaiso to apply, which they both did...you know the rest of the story...

oklahomamick

okay, so they approached us first and then we applied.  Surely we made some relationships and did not lose their number.
CRUSADERS!!!

cornonthe

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 01, 2016, 06:34:12 PM
okay, so they approached us first and then we applied.  Surely we made some relationships and did not lose their number.

Of course there is interest on both sides, but if it does happen, I just hope that it is not because we are replacing Wichita State... :)

oklahomamick

From what I understand is the MVC's two big dogs in MBB are upset with the RPI anchors of the conference. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Who are the two big ones?  Wichita State and Northern Iowa?
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Yes, Wichita St. and Northern Iowa.  The two that bring in NCAAT money to the rest of the league. The fans say it and I read it somewhere from the athletic department at Wichita St.
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 03, 2016, 07:07:24 AM
From what I understand is the MVC's two big dogs in MBB are upset with the RPI anchors of the conference. 
Allow me to throw out another hypothetical. Lets say we had been chosen over Loyola. Assume our OOC opponents all received the identical RPI numbers. Also assume we now would have lost 4 MVC regular season games all to teams in the top half. That would have put us in the MVC tournament with 7 losses. Could we have made the NCAA as an at-large? What about 3 MVC regular season losses? How high does our probability for NCAA inclusion become?

oklahomamick

Quote from: justducky on April 03, 2016, 12:34:10 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 03, 2016, 07:07:24 AMFrom what I understand is the MVC's two big dogs in MBB are upset with the RPI anchors of the conference.
Allow me to throw out another hypothetical. Lets say we had been chosen over Loyola. Assume our OOC opponents all received the identical RPI numbers. Also assume we now would have lost 4 MVC regular season games all to teams in the top half. That would have put us in the MVC tournament with 7 losses. Could we have made the NCAA as an at-large? What about 3 MVC regular season losses? How high does our probability for NCAA inclusion become?

Difficult to say because we are playing a lot speculations.  You would have to ask one of the RPI geniuses. 

Besides Bradley I don't think we would have seen our RPI tank as much as we did when beating UIC, YSU or NKU.  Would have had two times as many opportunities to pick up to 100 wins because no one in our conference had that. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

End of 2015-16 season RPIs for comparison - doesn't count any post-season. [click to enlarge]

oklahomamick

Thanks, looks like MVC had 3 top 100 teams meaning we would have 6 chances to pick up another 100 rpi win.  The bottom feeders don't look too different with a slight edge for MVC.  And thats this year, could be different depending on the year.  However the top half is much much stronger than the HL's top half.
CRUSADERS!!!