• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vale O. Paradise

Per Goodman per Oren, Peters working out with Houston and Boston. Perhaps Brad Stevens brings a higher level of respect/understanding for what a Peters-type player (team-oriented fighter/winner in the HL) can bring to a team?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Was standing right next to Peters when this tweet went out. He nodded his head. #HLMBB https://t.co/nFXGaGRKjd</p>&mdash; Paul Oren (@NWIOren) May 3, 2016
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VU2014

Peters is definitely a Brad Stevens type player.

3 point shooting and spreading the floor is the future of the NBA. Peters can hit any shot in the gym. I really hope he gets his shot in the NBA someday. I very very selfishly hope he wait till another year to make the NBA  ;). I'd be the first to buy a Peters NBA jersey.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 03, 2016, 05:37:53 PM
Peters is definitely a Brad Stevens type player.

3 point shooting and spreading the floor is the future of the NBA. Peters can hit any shot in the gym. I really hope he gets his shot in the NBA someday. I very very selfishly hope he wait till another year to make the NBA  ;). I'd be the first to buy a Peters NBA jersey.

If you're right, and Golden State would certainly agree, then Rowdy will be playing as well.  Shooting over 46% from well beyond the 3 line and, as we all recall, he is one heck of a rebounder as well.

http://pickandroll.com.au/beyond-europe-broekhoffs-rio-success-key-unlocking-nba-career/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

you have to play not just good but great defense too. Just ask George Hill, ooops, maybe not.

BTW, tomorrow, Star Wars day, is the Broad Ripple and IUPUI star's, George Hill's birthday.

May the farce of your hair color be with you!

agibson

Quote from: Vale O. Paradise on May 03, 2016, 04:51:34 PM
Per Goodman per Oren, Peters working out with Houston and Boston. Perhaps Brad Stevens brings a higher level of respect/understanding for what a Peters-type player (team-oriented fighter/winner in the HL) can bring to a team?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Was standing right next to Peters when this tweet went out. He nodded his head. #HLMBB https://t.co/nFXGaGRKjd</p>&mdash; Paul Oren (@NWIOren) May 3, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just to be clear, the tweet Alec was nodding at was _not_ the "If you're not in the combine, go back to college" tweet. It was this:

[tweet]727613729978908677[/tweet]

Not that Paradise said any differently - the quote just got garbled.

VU2014

I think it's comical that there is a narrative that grad transfers should transfer to larger programs in their final year to get notice by NBA scouts. Every single game is streamed this days, there is a no budgetary restrictions on scouts on where they can go. If you can play you will be scouted no matter where you play. I saw 2 nba scouts at the Valpo vs. Oakland game in Valpo this year.

M

There were more then that at the game vs. Iona...you are right. They will find you if you can play.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on May 04, 2016, 11:59:35 AM
I think it's comical that there is a narrative that grad transfers should transfer to larger programs in their final year to get notice by NBA scouts.

I interpret it somewhat less as "make sure there are eyeballs on you" and more as "make sure that you'll be seen competing against top level competition so that they'll take you seriously".

The first _might_ apply too. Maybe you attract a few scouts at Podunk U, but at Big Name U there will be those couple still looking at you (perhaps), and another ten looking at your all-star teammates, who might be impressed when they notice you on the court.

*shrug*

I can see an "is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small- to medium-size fish in a big pond" kind of an argument. Not always easy to know the best path to success or happiness in those situations.

VULB#62

I'm hoping that Alec gets a really good workout with the Celts and that Brad Stevens takes the time to indicate to him what he needs to work on going into next season  I also hope, that as a former HL coach who knows the caliber of play in the league, he tells Alec to stay at Valpo and that they'll want to see him again after next season. The Celts would be a great place for him to eventually land. Great city.  Great organization. And, at least according to Boston media, the next great NBA coach.

valpopal

FWIW: ESPN's Jeff Goodman stated this morning on Twitter that his "guess" is that Alec Peters will return to Valpo.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on May 05, 2016, 04:06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/728327493216776192

I'm glad he is getting the opportunity to work out individually with teams.  Good for him.  I'm sure he'll get some good feedback.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 06, 2016, 10:00:17 AM
FWIW: ESPN's Jeff Goodman stated this morning on Twitter that his "guess" is that Alec Peters will return to Valpo.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/728569465500278784

valpotx

I also hope that Stevens gives better advice than most NBA coaches would, as I have to believe they would tell him to go Power 5.  Stevens knows that it can be done in the HL, since he had several top players that got NBA looks and are still on NBA teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the three facilities where Alec's work outs took place.  I also would have liked to fly off the wall and closer by when the coaches told him what their evaluations were.  I wonder who, if anyone (besides Alec, of course), has any of that information and willing to even share a tiny bit of it).

wh

The NBA has player evaluation down to a science. They are able grade every element of a player's skill set regardless of the competition. They're evaluating players at every level, including D-1 major, midajor, low major, JC, European and other foreign, even high school. That said, they're always going to encourage players to play at the highest level. It makes scouting and evaluation easier. That said, they already have a baseline and book on Alec. If, over the next year, he improves enough from where he currently grades out, he might get selected. If not, he'll probably be headed to Europe.

ValpoHoops

My understanding of the situation is this (and I'm more than willing to accept that my sources could be completely right or completely wrong, but this is a message board, so we discuss things...):

Alec does have the desire to play at a level where there are more games that are more visible. The lure of a school that regularly plays on TV, on major networks and gets great ratings is very strong.

That doesn't mean he wants to or is set on leaving Valpo...but that's the scuttlebutt that I've been hearing.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: ValpoHoops on May 10, 2016, 11:54:13 AM
My understanding of the situation is this (and I'm more than willing to accept that my sources could be completely right or completely wrong, but this is a message board, so we discuss things...):

Alec does have the desire to play at a level where there are more games that are more visible. The lure of a school that regularly plays on TV, on major networks and gets great ratings is very strong.

That doesn't mean he wants to or is set on leaving Valpo...but that's the scuttlebutt that I've been hearing.

Maybe he does want those things. But maybe he gets a far more diminished role at a school that would fit that description. One thing he can be assured of is that staying at Valpo means he will be the focal point of just about everything when he is on the court. There is little to no guarantee he would be getting that opportunity at a bigger school.

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoHoops on May 10, 2016, 11:54:13 AM

Well, I assume this means that Peters will come back to Valpo. He's extremely loyal.

Chairback

I'm hearing the same thing as valpohoops. That he will be playing south of valpo.     

M

Hopefully we are wrong about him leaving like we've been wrong about several other things this spring.

VU2014

Damn.... if Peters leaves it would just an absolute kick to the gut. I always thought Bryce was going to leave in the near future, so it wasn't that much of a kick to the gut and is somewhat understandable to me. If Peters leaves I never would have saw that coming.

valpotx

This will be interesting.  If he transfers anywhere except for Vandy, I will be supportive of him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I wouldn't read much into it - maybe he's still on the road. But no Peters at commencement. Jubril and Keith are here. Vashil yesterday.