• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Micah Branford teammate released by JMU from NLI

Started by vufan75, April 07, 2016, 05:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atkins

This thread is full of good comments and all that, but isn't the real issue who should be on this team to beat a BCS school?  Focus people, Focus on what really matters!!! 

Pgmado

For what it's worth...Adekoya alluded to me yesterday that he was very excited for Matt and Luke and was eager to prepare for next year with them.

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on April 08, 2016, 01:25:56 PM
For what it's worth...Adekoya alluded to me yesterday that he was very excited for Matt and Luke and was eager to prepare for next year with them.

Looks like the decision to stay within the family for our new HC is bearing fruit already.

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on April 08, 2016, 01:25:56 PM

That's a relief.  The dude is a very cerebral player, and we need him.  I have always been a fan of his, as he is a standard 'glue' guy.  It doesn't show up in most stat sheets, but the guy bails us out of a lot of tough situations offensively and defensively. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

agreed.  The guys love him.  He often boxes out while someone else gets the rebound.  His free throw shooting is a lot better.  We need him!
CRUSADERS!!!

vufan75

As long as we are changing topics in threads, did anyone else notice WSU granted a release to Grant Benzinger? Indiana kid I think and the guy who hit the half court or longer basket against Valpo this past season in game at Wright State. Seemed like a decent shooter with some "fire on the court" when I watched their games. Would be a Jr and will have to sit out a year if he does transfer to a D1 school. Any thoughts as to would Valpo be interested?

Also too bad we did not get Marcus Ottey, the kid who chose UIC. Scouting sites seemed to indicate explosive guy with scorer mentality as a pg. 3*. UIC is building what s/b a good team under Coach McClain.

oklahomamick

I think McClain might be crooked....I don't know how hes recruiting the talent he has. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vufan75

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 11, 2016, 01:52:21 PM
I think McClain might be crooked....I don't know how hes recruiting the talent he has.
Do not know. But McClain has been around awhile as a HC or P5 assistant so likely has good recruiting contacts. Must be relentless on recruiting trail. Also maybe Ottey saw Micah Bradford being solid with Valpo and being in same class playing same position was looking at somewhere he could play early?

Also noticed where one time Valpo guard recruit Nick Rogers got release from Toledo. Wondering...if KC is not granted xtra year if adding another guard is in plan. Or saving one schollie  to use later? Might have enough guards assuming Max and Lexus are healthy and improved for next season to back up KC or if not him maybe Micah if he is ready to start day 1. Lot to ask from him though as a frosh.

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 11, 2016, 01:52:21 PM
I don't know if it's that surprising, but we'll see.  As far as recruiting is concerned, there's probably nothing worse than being a long-standing coach with a losing program in a conference that has has one or two dominant teams.  A new coach will often attract better recruits because he's not beholden to the previous system or players and can often promise a certain role or "guarantee" playing time to a recruit that he otherwise might not. It's interesting to wonder what effect the coaching turnover in the Horizon will have.  It may end up lifting the entire conference's recruiting in that the title will be more up for grabs than usual and new coaches may generate more excitement from recruits.

ValpoDad89

Being in Chicagoland, when McClain was hired he was touted as GREAT recruiter. What that leads to them is Anyone's business. But you have to coach talent and that goes for LaVall Jordan.