• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here is What We Now Know

Started by ValpoDad89, April 07, 2016, 06:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

Matt Lottich is the coach and Luke will be riding shotgun. Last year it was Bryce and Roger. We couldn't expect Bryce to leave and not take one or all of his assistants with him. He did not. For all we know, Powell may have preferred being the well paid sidekick of a P5 coach to open up doors later. What we do know is Matt and Luke want to be here. That is good enough for me. I think the keys to the Cadillac have been passed to 2 guys who will know how to drive it and continue the success of the past 5 years.

For all Bryce could've done to hurt us, he did not and left us in good standing. #ValpoProud #ValpoStrong

valpospartan

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 07, 2016, 06:13:21 PM
Matt Lottich is the coach and Luke will be riding shotgun. Last year it was Bryce and Roger. We couldn't expect Bryce to leave and not take one or all of his assistants with him. He did not. For all we know, Powell may have preferred being the well paid sidekick of a P5 coach to open up doors later. What we do know is Matt and Luke want to be here. That is good enough for me. I think the keys to the Cadillac have been passed to 2 guys who will know how to drive it and continue the success of the past 5 years.

For all Bryce could've done to hurt us, he did not and left us in good standing. #ValpoProud #ValpoStrong

That door is not entirely closed yet.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 07, 2016, 06:13:21 PMFor all Bryce could've done to hurt us, he did not and left us in good standing.
:clap: :thumbsup:  :)

I remember when Scott left for Baylor, what enabled him to go in good conscience was that he was leaving the program in good hands (Homer's).  I strongly suspect Bryce left with the same mindset, and after today's press conference, I am content with that conclusion.

oklahomamick

My #1 choice was Powell.  He was a big reason Alec, Jubril and K. Carter came to Valpo.  I sure hope these two can recruit like Powell.  Teams with better players usually win.  (unless your name is Ray)
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

It's amazing how some people think Bryce is still the good guy in this whole situation. He took Valpo's next in line, left before Peters senior year when he's eligible to transfer, and left THREE open scholarships. THREE! Only had one recruit coming in, a guy that was unranked. You think he could have left Valpo with less than he did - that a $2.7 million coach would have filled his entire staff with mid major assistants? I'm not saying he left the program in shambles, but this could very well get much worse. We'd be very fortunate to have everyone sick around with all the moving pieces; we're an Alec Peters transfer away from the wheels coming completely off and a major rebuild.

valpotx

The positive is that even with a rebuild, we still have far more banners hanging in our gym than any other school in the HL.  If we are just looking to remain top of our league in the near future, that alone will get solid recruits.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

a3huge, far from it. Bryce wanted Vandy. He reached out them them rather than reverse which was the case the past 2 years. Everyone knew he would go. He left for a position that puts him square in the big time of college hoops. He's playing Kentucky at his arena some years and the next at their's. For all Bryce has done, he surrounded himself with coaching talent. He is in a position to play the best caliber most college hoops has to play in day in and day out. He has trust in his abilities. It would've taken him years to do that at Valpo and by that time many jobs would've past him over if he was that dedicated to Valpo. He played on the greatest stage, the NBA. Was an NBA first rounder. That could only take him so far, Vandy offered the same creature comforts but at a situation that allowed to see if he could succeed with Caliparis and K's of the world. How could he not pass up that opportunity. Plus his wife is a Southen girl and I gotta think that played or influenced his decision.

What he did do is leave us a guy who I think can take his program and run with it and left us Luke who will help Matt with Xs and Os. Kids who are here will stay, he was the lead on our only freshman who will more than likely stay and flourish here and potentilla you give us Better talent. Today, this program is far from dead but more of a sleeping giant than any of us know. These guys have a WILL and that will is to win. And what that will do is set up Luke Gore for a good coaching gig sometime in the near future.

I am disappointed that Bryce left but it was inevitable but I'm stoked at the possibilities the ashes of his departure have left us. We will survive and only be stronger. And of Lottich leaves successfully MLB will have his pick as this will be a destination job for those less fortunate to get a P5 job. From a Valpo and DePaul fan, take my word, I'd take Lottich's possibilities over Leitaos any day.

StlVUFan

I myself wish that Bryce had stayed and continued the crusade to break Valpo through the glass ceiling, but that is a burden that you choose willingly.  It is not imposed on you.  It is unfair for us to do so.  If I'm pissed off over this, Bryce is not the target (I never dubbed him any sort of paragon of small school college basketball coaching, by the way).  Neither is Vanderbilt.  It is the system that allows schools like Vandy to boycott schools like Valpo in November and December, thereby helping to hold Valpo back, and then plucking Valpo's coach because he's limited as to what he can do here about the great imbalance maintained by the status quo.

That system is what pisses me off about this whole thing, not the individual players in this particular scenario.  I'll leave hurt feelings toward Bryce to the players, since they're the ones impacted by this, not me.

ValpoDad89

StlVuFan, that is the paradigm and affliction that will affect all the Valpo's of the world for the foreseeable future. What we really need to do is put the pressure on our Administration to petition the NCAA to not let that happen. What is nice is a P6 (if you wil), the Big East, which is a basketball only conference won the title. That being said, Syracuse should've never made it in but ended up a Final 4 due to a very favorable run to get there. Hell, they lost to Pitt in their opening ACC tourney Game which I thought was a play in game for sure. Valpo deserved to be there an our run to NYC only proved that. Butler's run in the past would've helped but they jumped to the Big East.

I know a ton of fans that wanted to see us in there rather than Syracuse, Michigan and few other less than deserving big time programs. Why? Because people love to see the underdog win. But big time college athletics are about money and ratings. Until we can upgrade facilities or conference affiliation we are stuck. What I hope that people realize is Northwestern, Loyola and De Paul are the only Chicago area schools that are in a MAJOR market. When they realize Valpo is in that same market, maybe will get some love. I'll tell you this, neither Loyola or DePaul has been to a Aweet 16 since the mid '80's and NU has never made it to,the tournament since I've been alive and I'm 46. When Valpo made thier run in '98, a lot of Chicagoans made Valpo thier team. Screw all of them, we need to sell Chicago as being THIER college basketball team. We have a far better pedigree than any of those listed. Sometimes you have to market yourself and promote yourself to open up opportunities. With the Bulls sucking, we can take advantage. Chicago loves basketball and loves wnners. DePaul capitalized on that prior to Jordan and it took them a long way. Why not do the same and market ourself via billboards and print / internet ads as being the same. I make it from Midway Airport in an hour or less sometimes to most if not all 7PM starts. Maybe our athletic Department needs to stretch our advertising to a wider range. For crying out loud there are 10 million people in the metro Chicago area who are wanting a winner. We have one.

justducky

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 07, 2016, 09:15:34 PMIf I'm pissed off over this, Bryce is not the target (I never dubbed him any sort of paragon of small school college basketball coaching, by the way).  Neither is Vanderbilt.  It is the system that allows schools like Vandy to boycott schools like Valpo in November and December, thereby helping to hold Valpo back, and then plucking Valpo's coach because he's limited as to what he can do here about the great imbalance maintained by the status quo.
The table for Bryce has now been turned. From coaching a team exploited in scheduling by the dominate he now stands with the power to exercise some individual moral judgements of his own. I don't know what he will do with it but the more once stepped upon Steve Prohm, Bryce Drew types in the coaching upper crust then the better I like it.

I hope he does not forget his roots because folks like you and I will be watching forever.

valpotx

I highly doubt that Bryce will be taking his Vandy team on an away game at a solid mid-major.  There is too much pressure for them as is, and if they lose one of those games, they are on the hot seat.  I will watch their schedule carefully over the next few years, to see if he maintains the P5 status quo (all home games in non-conference), or if he tries to challenge his team against teams at a similar level as Valpo away from home.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

Justducky, we will see. I'd like to see him set up a 2 for 1 with Valpo. Obviously 2 home games for Vandy. If anything it gets a major program and a major draw, himself, into the ARC once. If that doesn't draw 5K plus and set a new attendance record I don't know what will but it will tell me is that he cares about his alma mater enough to help them out a little bit. If he's "afraid" of playing us than he is just like all the other coaches he called for not playing us. The ball as they say, in his court.

ValpoDad89

Valpotx, you cannot have it both ways. You cannot call out other majors as to not coming into your gym and when the shoe is on the other foot eschew them. Credibility shot. As I said in my previous post, what a lot of majors do is do a 2 for 1 which means he gets Valpo twice on his floor. It gives us some revenue and them even more as a December game against his former school and alma mater will gain buzz in Nashville I can rest assure you. It will draw a lot of people and I'm sure Valpo would welcome the challenge.

But I can already see the Drew camp spinning it as Bryce doesn't want to go against his old school like he doesn't want play against his brother. P'shaw. Both Scott and now Bryce chose big time college basketball, it's time to act like a big time coach.

nkvu

The curse of the mid major fan is when the school finally shows some success against the big boys, the coach leaves for a bigger school. Rarely does the program get elivated to "big school' status and then only if they are the only game in a reasonably sized town college hoops wise. Gonzaga and Butler are examples of this. Compare Valpo to this model. A small school in a city of no size that cares more about high school basketball than VU. Given the circumstances, the VU men's basketball program has been amazingly successful for a mid major since the mid 90's, thanks largely to one family of remarkable people. Can anyone seriously blame any of them from taking the opportunity to make 5 times the money doing the same job while getting the opportunity to compete with the best in their field?  I certainly can't.

A remarkably successful era has ended. I hope another will begin. One thing I've learned in my 65 years of life is that no matter what, things will change whether you like it or not. So I will hope that the new staff will be able to continue the success we have experienced and that we will continue to be one of the best mid major programs.  If not I will wait for the wheel of fortune to turn back our way.  I also wish the best of success to all fellow Vapo alumni in their future endevers whether it is coaching basketball or anything else.

ValpoDad89

nkvu, points and valid ones taken. In other posts, and I know it's not directed at me, I've said that the man is getting paid 4 times he was making here. MLB said they tried to counter the offer but they couldn't. I applaud them for trying but Bryce's mind was made up. I truly believe he wanted to go South to both appease his wife and his will to win. I think he really thinks and very well may, win a National Championship at Vandy. According to him it was his "dream" job. He got it. We move on and have. Time for the Lottich era to spread its wings.

But as I said in another post, we cannot think small market. We got play during our NIT run on Chicago radio. We are 60 miles from where I live in the SW part of the city to where Valpo is. 60 Miles from a major metropolitan area that wants a winner, especially in hoops. Sell ourselves as Chicago's team, who cares if we are in IN, we are in the metro area which speaks volumes. We aren't going to get major Chicago area studs to come here initially but our competition for fans is the lethargic Bulls, the idiotic run BlueDemons, the perennially losing ramblers of Loyola and our own conference mates UIC. Seriously, we can beat them all for area recruits because of one fact, we win and they don't, not a single one of them. So open us up to that market and we'll see fruits of even minor marketing endeavors. Heck, just put up Valpo billboards on I 80 that touch the south burbs and we will gain interest.

I get 4 free ones and towards the end of the season when we were getting some national attention, I ended up taking a few friends to games and they and their kids came and are Valpo fans now. I took  4 of them to our HL clinching win and my buddy's kid got pics with Bryce, Jubril, EVic and Alec, especially Alec, that made his day. My buddy still texts me about it. That's just one guy. You go to a Gameat the ARC and see what a family atmosphere it provides, you are hooked. I know I am.

If we can improve on those facilities in the upcoming years, we can truly build a winner.

nkvu

Dad, I haven't lived in the region for a long long time so I can't comment on VU's ability to market themselves as a Chicago team. All I know is what I read on the forum and that leads me to believe that VU doesn't think that it can do so or it would have done it years ago. I have no idea whether it could do it now.  If you are right I hope VU gets the message and pursues it marketing wise. But from what I've read VU does a pretty crappy job marketing it's basketball team in the region, let alone in Chicago. My assessment is that we are and will be at best a top mid major program for the foreseeable future. I rather hope your assessment of having an opportunity to capture the Chicago college hoops market is correct. But I doubt that Valpo's marketing folks have the will or resources to exploit it.

SanityLost17

So far it looks as if Valpo, UWM, and WSU all made great hires.   No pressure Detroit...Waiting on you now!   I know the next few years might be a little rough, but it would appear that teams are trying to improve!  Maybe, just maybe, the HL will rebound from all of this.       

Valpo89

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 07, 2016, 11:41:17 PM
But as I said in another post, we cannot think small market. We got play during our NIT run on Chicago radio. We are 60 miles from where I live in the SW part of the city to where Valpo is. 60 Miles from a major metropolitan area that wants a winner, especially in hoops. Sell ourselves as Chicago's team, who cares if we are in IN, we are in the metro area which speaks volumes. We aren't going to get major Chicago area studs to come here initially but our competition for fans is the lethargic Bulls, the idiotic run BlueDemons, the perennially losing ramblers of Loyola and our own conference mates UIC. Seriously, we can beat them all for area recruits because of one fact, we win and they don't, not a single one of them. So open us up to that market and we'll see fruits of even minor marketing endeavors. Heck, just put up Valpo billboards on I 80 that touch the south burbs and we will gain interest.
I truly appreciate your enthusiasm. Valpo HAS marketed in the Chicago metro area for many years. There have been billboards on 94 and the toll road. The sports information office, for years, has promoted Valpo teams to all Chicago media. It's fun to go to the ARC, especially with a big crowd for an important game.

But think about this. Let's say you have a family of four and you live 60 miles away in SW Chicago, or even in Munster, Crown Point, Hebron, Chesterton or Portage. It's a Thursday night Horizon League game. Are you going to pack up the family for a 7 p.m. game, spend $40 on tickets, take the time to drive to and from Valpo on a school night? That's a minimum four-hour time commitment, and the kids get home at 10 p.m. on a school night.

That same family may be more willing and able to attend weekend games, but when you have kids involved in sports, sometimes they play at the same time. It happened to me at least 2-3 times this season with my 11-year-old (including the awful Wright State game, which I ended up being thankful that I wasn't there).

As I said, I appreciate your enthusiasm and comparisons to Chicago teams. But things are not likely to change. VU will average 3,000 fans for most of the season and pack the house for important games, but it's not going to attract average Joes from Lake County or the south suburbs on a regular basis.

VU2014

Rumor is that Detroit is making a push for Bacari Alexander (michigan assistant). Todd Ickow said it would be a homerun hire. Fingers crossed they don't get him. I really go back and forth as to when I hear other schools in our conference land a great recruit or coach. On one hand I don't want the other schools to catch up to Valpo for the best team in the conference but on the other hand you want them to be respectable so the conference looks better on paper. 4-5 years ago the HL was one of the best mid-major conferences and then once we lost Butler and with 3-4 programs have just really have fallen. Detroit was a good team when they Ray McCallum Jr., Cleveland State was a pretty good team at one time but seems like their kids want out of there and transfer, Youngstown State has absolutely fallen off the map.

I know Valpo has excelled the last 4-5 seasons in the HL but conference just to mediocre. It could just be a cyclical, but with all the Power 5 conferences growing and stealing teams from one another the last few years it, has sort of hurt some of the premier mid-major conferences. Butler was stolen by the A10 and then immediately swiped away by the Big East. Creighton was the creme of the crop in the MVC for years and now they got stolen by the Big East. Wichita State has been under consideration by the Big East as well (I don't see it because its not a private school). I know a lot of what conferences look for in inviting schools to conferences has to do first and foremost with $ with the TV contracts and trying to tap into the regions market, then they look at the quality of the athletic program as a whole, athletics facility quality, then they look at the size of the University in terms of enrollment, tapping into the region for recruiting purposes. I guess there are a ton of factors that go into getting an invite to a bigger/better conference and I feel like we are a huge disadvantage because we don't check off many of the boxes other then good academics and a good basketball program for a mid major.

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on April 08, 2016, 10:33:41 AM
Rumor is that Detroit is making a push for Bacari Alexander (michigan assistant). Todd Ickow said it would be a homerun hire. Fingers crossed they don't get him. I really go back and forth as to when I hear other schools in our conference land a great recruit or coach. On one hand I don't want the other schools to catch up to Valpo for the best team in the conference but on the other hand you want them to be respectable so the conference looks better on paper. 4-5 years ago the HL was one of the best mid-major conferences

I sympathize - it's tough to root for tougher competition that could beat Valpo.

But, I suspect we've got to root for top coaches and top recruits for these programs. To improve the league's reputation and stats, and our own. To toughen us up. I still believe, I think, in the promise of the HL we originally joined. A league tough enough that we wouldn't win it evey year, but when we did we'd be good enough to have a realistic shot to win a game or two in the tournament.

Has the basketball world change so much that a Butler, a Milwaukee, is no longer possible? Hopefully, at least if we're stuck there, the league can get back to what it was even ten years ago.

ValpoDad89

Gibs, I couldn't agree with you more. A better HL is our chance to get more than one at large bid. Put it this way, rather than beating up our HL brethren by 15-20 like we did most nights, we only beat them by 7-8 but their collective RPI (per school) improved by 25-30 RPI points, we would've been in the tournament.

Another thing, the MVC got 2 teams in this year and in the past has received 3 bids, we can compete with them. If we were in the MVC this past year, we finish at worst, 3rd in my opinion ( would love to see Wichita St. In the ARC). The only for sure losses would be On the Road to Wichita St., UNI and maybe Evansville and Illinois St. We would've swept Bradley, Indiana St. and Loyola and we most likely would've held serve at the ARC against all of them. At most we would've had maybe 5-6 MVC losses. With our RPI, we would've gotten in playing that conference schedule.

Outside the P5, the Big East received 5 bids which is half their conference and the A10 received 4. Now the HL isn't anywhere within those 2 but we are definitely close to the MVC in so many ways. They are definitely top heavy like the HL but with a slightly better pedigree. A better HL puts us closer to all of them. Plus, success within and out of the conference positions some, if not most conference members to get "invited" to those preseason tournaments where the P5 go to and makes them play us on a neutral court, advantageous for all of us. Even if our brethren lose to these teams, it improves RPI to a degree. Overall, if we view ourselves as the best, then we want to play the best that anyone has to offer.

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 09, 2016, 02:09:24 AMThe only for sure losses would be On the Road to Wichita St., UNI and maybe Evansville and Illinois St. We would've swept Bradley, Indiana St. and Loyola and we most likely would've held serve at the ARC against all of them. At most we would've had maybe 5-6 MVC losses. With our RPI, we would've gotten in playing that conference schedule.

It's easy to say Valpo would have won those games but also remember we had some losses that we should have won in our games against Wright St at home and against Green Bay in Detroit. I think you must figure at least 2 hard-to-predict losses if not more.

StlVUFan

I'm with agibson completely.  I want a strong Horizon League so that multiple bids are possible, and so that we don't need to be thinking about greener grass elsewhere.  I certainly hope UDM makes a good quality hire, Lavall Jordan turns UWM into a powerhouse, Scott Nagy improves WSU, Steve McClain resurrects UIC, and John Brannen makes NKU a force to reckon with.  The harder part is CSU and YSU.  The former is barely treading water and the latter is a football school.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 11, 2016, 10:51:12 AM
I'm with agibson completely.  I want a strong Horizon League so that multiple bids are possible, and so that we don't need to be thinking about greener grass elsewhere.  I certainly hope UDM makes a good quality hire, Lavall Jordan turns UWM into a powerhouse, Scott Nagy improves WSU, Steve McClain resurrects UIC, and John Brannen makes NKU a force to reckon with.  The harder part is CSU and YSU.  The former is barely treading water and the latter is a football school.
South Dakota State is also a football school...

StlVUFan

YSU is a football school that doesn't properly fund its basketball program

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk