• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why Vandy?

Started by Just Sayin, April 17, 2016, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Well, this seems to confirm that Homer's connection to Valpo will end later this year, if they are truly moving to Nashville as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on April 17, 2016, 09:48:55 PM
Well, this seems to confirm that Homer's connection to Valpo will end later this year, if they are truly moving to Nashville as well.

I think it's natural for someone in their 70's to want to move to warmer climates and move closer to their grandchildren. I hope Bryce and Homer remember that through the January ice storms. :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

http://www.anchorofgold.com/basketball/2016/4/13/11421224/bryce-drews-first-recruiting-task-keep-the-class-of-2016-in-the-fold

Bryce moving on with keeping the current Vandy players. If you don't want to vest anything in Vandy then don't read these stories. One has moved on to the NBA in typical P5 tradition.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU2014

I will always be grateful for the Drew family and how they built the VU basketball family up from nothing with very limited resources and support from the administration. I met Homer my Freshman year of college just shooting hoops in hilltop. He introduced himself and welcomed me to VU and literally spent 30 minutes going over jump-shot fundamentals and practicing. Honestly he is one the friendliest and kind hearted people I have ever met. Its natural to wanted to around the family during retirement, so I have no problem with it. We all knew Bryce was going to leave eventually and it happened. He left the program in a good state in my opinion (I know some feel differently, but we can agree to disagree) and I think Lottich has a bright future as a coach. I think we sort of need to move on in a way. I'm not sure I'll make Vandy game a priority but if its on TV maybe I'll silently root for Bryce.

oklahomamick

The Homer family made Valpo basketball a success.  They did it with limited finances and little administrative support.  Not very many people can overcome those obstacles and be successful.  Sure a lot of coaches can win at KU, Indiana, Michigan St. North Carolina.  But it takes a special coach to be able to overcome the challenges at VU and win on a year to year basis.  I don't think many can pull that off.  Let's see if our new coach can. 

Bryce will be successful at Vandy just as Scott has been at Baylor.  If they can succeed at Valpo they can overcome the different challenges P5 offers.  Mid major challenges and in particular Valpo's restraints are far more difficult than the challenges at the P5 level. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

It's a great story about the Drew family.

ARCInsider

I sure hope Homer will thank the town of Valparaiso before leaving for Nashville.  #nolovelost

valpotx

Casey Shaw announced as an addition to Bryce's Vandy staff, so Dana is moving to Nashville as well. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/18/bryce-drews-brother--law-added-vanderbilt-staff/83183196/
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Eleven Drews (including grandkids)  living in Nashville by September according to Sparks. 

Related Tweet.

[tweet]722086293820334080[/tweet]

Just Sayin

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 18, 2016, 11:53:52 AM
I sure hope Homer will thank the town of Valparaiso before leaving for Nashville.  #nolovelost

Don't worry, Homer's not one to express his thankfulness. You are indeed a special kind of person to have no love lost for Homer.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on April 18, 2016, 12:33:13 PM
Casey Shaw announced as an addition to Bryce's Vandy staff, so Dana is moving to Nashville as well. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/04/18/bryce-drews-brother--law-added-vanderbilt-staff/83183196/

In the article, it says that Omar Mance from Liberty will be the Director of BB Operations. Do you know why Bryce picked him and how he knew him? Chef said in a recent post that "Luke" ( not Gore) was ( can't remember his last name) going to Vandy to take that job. Anyone know these connections Or if "Luke" is still being considered or didn't take the job?

chef

I think this maybe incorrect. Mance has been hired (he's a close friend of Roger Powell). However, I believe Mance will have a different title, while Luke Simons with be the director of basketball operations. The only other possibility is Simons will have a different title but will be handling the duties similar to what he did at Valpo. The job titles vary from school to school.

talksalot

I see that one of the ex-Vandy coaches, Adam Cohen, was just hired by Stanford to be an assistant coach.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=210885316

ValpoDad89

It seems the high end housing market in Southen Valpo is now saturated (buyer's market?). It is my understanding that Homer, Bryce and Dana (Casey) lived like 10 minutes apart. Close family that gets to stay together in a nice metropolis. Good for them and good for us he didn't take everyone with him. Liking Matt as HC, glad Luke stayed to help continuity and looks as if Matt made some good hires for the open spots.

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 12:21:10 AM
It seems the high end housing market in Southen Valpo is now saturated (buyer's market?). It is my understanding that Homer, Bryce and Dana (Casey) lived like 10 minutes apart. Close family that gets to stay together in a nice metropolis. Good for them and good for us he didn't take everyone with him. Liking Matt as HC, glad Luke stayed to help continuity and looks as if Matt made some good hires for the open spots.

One quick question about the new asst coaches. What made Ivan Vujic such a bad hire? Bad interviewee? Wrong tie? Threatened to make players transfer if he didn't get the job? Wrong culture for Ivan (not Christian)?

ValpoDad89

I think he would've created some redundancy from a true coaching perspective as he works with bigs and that is Luke's primary focus. I don't think that'll change in Luke's new role. Also Ivan is limited in that, while Valpo likes to recruit abroad, his connections seem to be in Croatia and parts of the former Yugoslavia. In the grand scheme of things that is a very small pool to pick from. And in today's world, I think it's important to have some diversity on your staff. If you're wanting to recruit Chicago or any major metropolitan area, more succinctly the inner city, it's important to have a balanced staff.

I don't think religion played a part at all. I'm not sure what Vujic's denomination or Faith is but I am assuming Cathollic as Croatia is a predominately Catholic country. Being a Catholic myself, we most definitely see ourselves as Chrsitians first and foremost.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 20, 2016, 04:12:04 AM
Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 12:21:10 AM

One quick question about the new asst coaches. What made Ivan Vujic such a bad hire? Bad interviewee? Wrong tie? Threatened to make players transfer if he didn't get the job? Wrong culture for Ivan (not Christian)?

Given what he and this other clown allegedly pulled off, he is obviously not a person of high character.  Do you need another reason?  Ok, here's one more.  Why would an upstanding program like Valparaiso University ever take a chance on anyone from the sleazy world of AAU/"prep" school basketball.  Not saying everyone is bad, but the entire business is centered on hustling basketball players.  Anytime a university program hires one of these "handlers" it raises an immediate red flag.     

M

Everybody lives about 10 minutes away from everybody in our city.

ARCInsider

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 18, 2016, 03:29:01 PM

Don't worry, Homer's not one to express his thankfulness. You are indeed a special kind of person to have no love lost for Homer.

Your sarcasm detector may be broken. 

Mods, can we delete his post?

Just Sayin

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 20, 2016, 12:24:14 PM

You want a safe space from being criticized? Poor baby.

ValpoDad89

M, point taken my friend and a damn hilarious one at that, pal!!!!

ARCInsider

Quote from: Just Sayin on April 20, 2016, 05:21:48 PM
Quote from: ARCInsider on April 20, 2016, 12:24:14 PM

You want a safe space from being criticized? Poor baby.

LOL.

wh

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 20, 2016, 07:08:33 AM
I think he would've created some redundancy from a true coaching perspective as he works with bigs and that is Luke's primary focus. I don't think that'll change in Luke's new role. Also Ivan is limited in that, while Valpo likes to recruit abroad, his connections seem to be in Croatia and parts of the former Yugoslavia. In the grand scheme of things that is a very small pool to pick from. And in today's world, I think it's important to have some diversity on your staff. If you're wanting to recruit Chicago or any major metropolitan area, more succinctly the inner city, it's important to have a balanced staff.

I don't think religion played a part at all. I'm not sure what Vujic's denomination or Faith is but I am assuming Cathollic as Croatia is a predominately Catholic country. Being a Catholic myself, we most definitely see ourselves as Chrsitians first and foremost.

A good Catholic friend of mine once told me that there is only 1 true Christian church - the Catholic Church- and that all Christians - Catholic and Protestant - belong to it. I said what are you talking about?  I don't belong to it. He retorted you do belong to it, you just don't realize that you do. He said it's the same as an Atheist. Just because they say there is no God doesn't mean there is no God. He also maintains that since Catholicism is the 1 true church, Christianity and Catholicism can be used interchangeably. How do you argue with a guy like that? lol

ValpoDad89

WH, you don't because he is 100% correct!!! ;D Hey, if it is wasn't for us Cat Licks how in the hell did other forms of Christianity come about??? Wasn't Martin Lither a Catholic priest at one time? Think about it? I kid. I'll be honest there are some in my sect that think our denomination is the end all be all. But man do we have skeletons and tons of baggage without getting into specifics. From the Spanish Inquisition to today's scandals we have some serious issues.