• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Why Vandy?

Started by Just Sayin, April 17, 2016, 08:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Ah,  but there is one catholic church and all Christians who believe are members.  But it is not just the Roman Catholic Church. 

Reminds me of:

Let's eat Grandma.
     Lets eat, Grandma.
     Commas save lives.

Except here we are are talking capitalization.   :lol:

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2016, 07:27:41 AMAh,  but there is one catholic church and all Christians who believe are members.  But it is not just the Roman Catholic Church. 

Yeah, it helps me to replace "Catholic" with "Universal". By one way of thinking, there's just one universal church - how could it be otherwise? It's universal! Then we could argue, if we want, about what visible manifestation of that, what earthly church body (Rome, the Orthodox, Lutherans, etc.) comes closest to representing the invisible, universal (catholic) church.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on April 18, 2016, 12:33:13 PMCasey Shaw announced as an addition to Bryce's Vandy staff, so Dana is moving to Nashville as well.

Fascinating. What's he been doing since he stopped playing? I didn't realize he lived in Valpo. Wonder why he never got a position at VU, if he was interested in coaching, and evidently a plausible candidate.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on April 23, 2016, 02:40:28 PM
Quote from: valpotx on April 18, 2016, 12:33:13 PMCasey Shaw announced as an addition to Bryce's Vandy staff, so Dana is moving to Nashville as well.

Fascinating. What's he been doing since he stopped playing? I didn't realize he lived in Valpo. Wonder why he never got a position at VU, if he was interested in coaching, and evidently a plausible candidate.

I have a feeling he was helping behind the scenes. His wife is a lawyer and he had several kids after playing professionally and making good money. I bet Bryce asked him to move to Nashville because he still needs his help. When your family is well trained in your profession it's second nature to start relying on them for at least great advice.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

I believe that he was a Financial Adviser.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

In following up on an Oren tweet, I think I know why (at least one reason) Roger decided to go to Nashville with Bryce, rather than take the VU job -- assuming he was the #1 candidate and Matt was at that time #2.

He is currently listed as the "Associate Head Coach" at Vandy.  He is well positioned by that title alone for his next job at a P5 school, Head Coach,  without having to slog through a mid-major rite of passage.

http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042616aaa.html

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 27, 2016, 10:56:56 AMHe is currently listed as the "Associate Head Coach" at Vandy.  He is well positioned by that title alone for his next job at a P5 school, Head Coach,  without having to slog through a mid-major rite of passage.

Made me think of when Bryce had that title. It could equally set him up to be the successor at Vanderbilt when/if Bryce moves along to the next "very special" opportunity (and, I suppose, success at Vanderbilt could open the door for blue chip basketball opportunities).

That press release gave us confirmation, also, of Simons' title at Vanderbilt - it's indeed Director of Basketball Operations. So, a mistake in the Nashville press, earlier? And our guy (was it chef?) had it straight.

M

Roger ends up at Illinois is my bet...maybe next year.

ValpoDad89

Drew and Powell were both on Illinois short list of candidates but then Groce got a 5* commitment from Da'Monte Williams from Peoria Manuel and it saved Groce's job for one more year. Illinois would be a destination school for Powell.

crusadermoe

Makes a ton of sense.   Goes to home to alma mater.    Recruits Chicago well already.

ml2

It's very tough (although not unprecedented) for an assistant coach to jump directly to a Big Ten head coach position.

The current 14 Big Ten schools have made just over 60 men's basketball head coaching hires since 1975 (not counting interims). 17 were head coaches at other major programs. 31 (by far the largest group) were mid-major head coaches. 8 were internal assistant coaches, and just 1 (Chris Collins to Northwestern, from Duke in 2013) was an assistant/associate coach from an outside program.

ValpoDad89

ml2, very true but Illinois last hire was John Groce who had a Sweet 16 run with Ohio but nothing more on his resume. Powell has assisting experience at a lower Level with a very successful program. He is now assisting at a P5 conference. Plus he is an alum who played a significant role on one of the most, if the most successful team in Illinois history. Thier new AD seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Not saying Roger will be the guy but I think he's positioned himself well to be in serious consideration. All this is predicated on Illinois being the Illinois of the last few years. If Groce takes them pretty far, he's keeping his gig.