• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Skara is transferring...

Started by Valpofan00, April 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: wh on May 05, 2016, 01:46:12 PMI am concerned, however, that a group of non-athletic faculty members may have a more myopic view

I'm at least a little curious who they'll tap. I wonder if it just goes to the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics, which does seem to have five faculty members (though I don't immediately see a list... I know one name.). Maybe that's the most likely?

Or, maybe that would be seen as too close to athletics, and they'll look for some relative outsiders.

Valpo89

Quote from: 78crusader on May 05, 2016, 01:31:52 PM
This is a serious question from a 59 year old lawyer who is too busy to follow all of this stuff, but what is Don Bosco Prep anyway?  Is it a high school?  Or what?  I read about it on this board and I really don't know what the heck it is.

Paul

It is some sort of a prep school in Lake County. Dave Maravilla, who has always had his hands on the international basketball scene, is one of the founders. I'm not sure where it is, what kind of teachers are there ... nothing. He brings in international kids for their senior year of high school or maybe an extra year of high school, with the promise they will be recruited to play in college. I don't know who they play, what kind of competition, anything. Rumor is Conner TenHove, a very good Valpo High School player who will graduate in June, will be going there next year. I do know that the international kids then live with a host family. Some good friends of mine hosted David his first semester playing at Don Bosco (or whatever it was called then).

ValpoDad89

In al my years following college hoops, I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever seen a kid appeal the fact he couldn't go to a certain school. Valpo's name and MBB are brands so while kids lives are at stake so is the schools brand recognition. While apples and oranges it is like a key employee of a firm that handles key clients for that firm, if he / she leaves they typically sign a non compete when they come and board, which means that they must have no contact with their former clients for a period usually lasting 2 years. This protects the for,ready company's assets, which are those clients.

Most if not all conferences have a non transfer within the conference rule (4 year grads withstanding). So any kid leaving Wisconsin cannot go to another Big 10 school. Along with that, most schools that lose coaches enact a caveat respective to the former coach'so new school, especially if that coach left in his own accord. This protects the school's asset, it's MBB Program from being raided by the former coach or coaches. So in Skara's situation, he cannot go to like 10 schools out of 345 D1 BBall schools out there. The HL and Vandy. How is that so egregious on Valpo's part. They're protecting themselves. Bryce left, was free to bring anyone from his Valpo staff bu the school is putting its foot down with respect to its players. Shred move and the move every other school in Valpo's shoes would make. ML did right by his employer. Maravilla knows that is how the gsme is played because he plays far worse and scummier games than what he is upset about. This situation is so sad and then you have an idiot reporter with an axe to grind against a good school with a good rep reporting it from one side. Hutton is not a journalist in the least. A shame to credible writers out there.

For David's sake, I hope he gets to a place where he belongs and prospers. I don't blame him in the ,east and wish him the best.

mj

Quote from: VU2014 on May 05, 2016, 09:58:27 AMI'm wondering if Bryce made an under the table deal with David Maravilla (Don Bosco) when he initially got recruited. Skara/Maravilla seem to be putting all their eggs in the Vanderbilt basket. Maybe Bryce is indebted to Maravilla or something, complete speculation on my part. It's just so shady.

I guess we never asked how the sausage got made when the Drews were here.
I believe that we will win.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on May 05, 2016, 02:35:15 PM
Quote from: wh on May 05, 2016, 01:46:12 PMI am concerned, however, that a group of non-athletic faculty members may have a more myopic view

I'm at least a little curious who they'll tap. I wonder if it just goes to the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics, which does seem to have five faculty members (though I don't immediately see a list... I know one name.). Maybe that's the most likely?

Or, maybe that would be seen as too close to athletics, and they'll look for some relative outsiders.

I have served as a member of the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics in the past, and I will be following this situation with special interest.

IndyValpo

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 05, 2016, 10:56:55 AM
Another Hutton article with nary a mention of Maravilla and his role. You can't discuss this situation without discussing all the factors involved.
You are confusing Hutton with actual journalists. His under researched articles are his trademark. He is a hack and apparently working for Bryce on the side.

oklahomamick

So is it too late for Skara to change his mind?   :'(
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 05, 2016, 07:45:53 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on May 05, 2016, 10:56:55 AM
Another Hutton article with nary a mention of Maravilla and his role. You can't discuss this situation without discussing all the factors involved.
You are confusing Hutton with actual journalists. His under researched articles are his trademark. He is a hack and apparently working for Bryce on the side.

Here's another thought. I'm not that familiar with Hutton. I wonder if his usual "thing" is covering local high school sports, through which he has developed some sort of working relationship with the Bosco knucklehead?  I just don't get why he would stick his nose into Valparaiso University's business. He does not have the standing to write an opinion piece favoring either side over the other.

valpotx

I know that I sound really negative about someone who is probably a good kid, but he needs to grow a pair.  He played 1 year for the scum bag?  Why would you feel like you owe that person, unless there was some type of shady dealing going on to get him to the US?  The more that comes out and the longer this plays out, the less respect I end up with for Skara.  I almost transferred back home after my first year, because I missed home.  I grew up and realized that it was good for me to be away, so I stayed.  People will respond to me that he is in another country.  Well, that's pretty much what it felt like to me ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: wh on May 05, 2016, 01:46:12 PM
I totally support ml's stand and the reasons he gave for it. 

I am concerned, however, that a group of non-athletic faculty members may have a more myopic view - "What's the big deal?"  "Would it really hurt Valpo if he transfers to Vandy - he's gone either way."  "Why should we make the poor kid pay for bad advice he got from some adult knucklehead"?  "Shouldn't the interests of our students come before our own organizational self interest?"  Blah, blah, blah...

Does anyone here know the members of this non-athletic dept panel that will make the decision on Skara?

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 05, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
I know that I sound really negative about someone who is probably a good kid, but he needs to grow a pair.  He played 1 year for the scum bag?  Why would you feel like you owe that person, unless there was some type of shady dealing going on to get him to the US?  The more that comes out and the longer this plays out, the less respect I end up with for Skara.  I almost transferred back home after my first year, because I missed home.  I grew up and realized that it was good for me to be away, so I stayed. People will respond to me that he is in another country.  Well, that's pretty much what it felt like to me ;)
[/b]

LOL.  I've wondered that for years and now living in DFW it becomes even more difficult to understand how kids from Texas, California, Florida, Arizona etc, first, want to come to Valparainsnow, Windyana.  I loved it but I grew up in Northern Ohio.  It really does speak volumes about the Valpo experience.  Sure the weather sucks, but on balance, Valpo has an extremely high retention rate from kids from every state in the union.  :clap: :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Chairback

The precedence it sets if Skara is allowed to go or inquire with Valpo South (Vandy) than so can Peters. 

Skara is good, but not SEC good.  The horizon league or A10 is his level.  The Ron Bosco prick is ruining this kid.  My bet, he won't finish the 3 next years in college basketball.

FWalum

Quote from: IndyValpo on May 05, 2016, 10:16:43 AM
The person who stinks in this process is Bryce Drew.  You expect AAU guys to be sleazy. They did not disappoint. A former coach, however, is a different matter.  Major loss of respect here.   
Where does this come from???  Your acting like this whole ordeal was instigated by Bryce of which I see no evidence only highly suspect speculation.

Simply speaking, of course Skara wants to talk to Bryce and Bryce would probably welcome a conversation with Skara, but to build some conspiracy with Bryce being the sleaze bag is far fetched.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

Honestly, at this point just let him go and be done with it.

valpopal

Unless some unusual procedure has been instituted in this situation, the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics is charged with serving as an appeals board concerning student-athletes on matters of athletics policy. My memory of the committee has been that it consists of two members from Athletics, including the AD, five faculty members, and three students. An administrator from the university also serves as a non-voting member. Published information by Hutton (taken from comments by MLB) details "a five-person panel independent of the Athletics Department will hear the case." This can be interpreted two ways: (1) the five CIA faculty members will meet as a sub-committee and make a decision or (2) an unprecedented separate five-faculty committee will be created. For a few reasons, I hope the first option has been chosen.

VU2014

Bryce isn't by any means sleazy. I just find it hilarious that the notion that Skara/Maravilla wants this overturned to "talk" to Bryce. Maravilla is an professional player agent and pretty much uses Don Bosco as a funnel piece to grow and set up his client list. I'm willing to bet Maravilla has talked to either Bryce or Roger since their departure. Bryce will do whatever it takes to win within the college athletics "ethical standards". Collegiate athletics ethical standards is somewhat in a gray area. Bryce is a classy guy and one of the good ones in the world college basketball coaches but I have a hunch a conversation was had behind closed doors. I don't necessarily judge him if it happened. This all speculation, and its not a swipe at Bryce's character. Still respect him and appreciate everything he's done for the University. I'm just curious as to why Maravilla is pushing so hard for Vandy. It's suspicious, but this whole situation is strange.

ValpoDad89

Chair back, Peters situation is highly different than Skara's, as if Alec completes his undergrad studies by the end of summer, he can go wherever he wants, Valpo cannot control it. Skara on the other hand presents a dangerous precedent if we allow him to leave without any penalty or ramifications. We currently control where he can go to. When has a coach left, taken his top recruiter and one of his top 5 players? When in the history of intercollegiate athletics has that trifecta happened? Maybe I missed one or two but it ain't likely. ML shouldn't let happen on his watch.

As far as Drew is concerned, he took a WAAAAAY better paying job, has great returning talent, better facilities and support according to him, what in blue blazes does he need Skara for? Yes, David can fill a role, a role. If Bryce were any kind of a mentor he would say, I'd love to have you but you're better suited for the school I left. I really don't have a need for your skill set. Now, if he  (allowed being the key word) takes him, Skara plays like 8 minutes a game and is done after 2 years. My perception of Drew will be changed as a difference maker as opposed to what can I do to get mine.

IndyValpo

Quote from: FWalum on May 05, 2016, 10:10:46 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on May 05, 2016, 10:16:43 AM
The person who stinks in this process is Bryce Drew.  You expect AAU guys to be sleazy. They did not disappoint. A former coach, however, is a different matter.  Major loss of respect here.   
Where does this come from???  Your acting like this whole ordeal was instigated by Bryce of which I see no evidence only highly suspect speculation.

Simply speaking, of course Skara wants to talk to Bryce and Bryce would probably welcome a conversation with Skara, but to build some conspiracy with Bryce being the sleaze bag is far fetched.

It is pretty simple when he was contacted, and let's be honest, that has already happened he could/should have said no. The fact that Skara is still talking about Vandy tells me that did not happen. BTW I did not call him sleazy.

VULB#62

[tweet]728406011715846144[/tweet]

Here's Paul's Times article on the topic.  He revisits the whole scenario and brings it up to date.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/skara-s-transfer-appeal-to-be-heard/article_751264f2-d18c-5dc0-a952-c987f3907753.html

valpo84

There has already been 1 D1 player who has returned to his original school after asking for the right to transfer.  Skara needs to decide what he wants, not for his advisors, not for some former coach or based on what he thinks "people" want him to do.  If he likes where he is/was, then say so.  And if he wants an "independent" voice to help him sort through the conflicting messages and priorities, he can call me.  But, the appeals board should deny his petition.  The School has the right to restrict his transfer PERIOD.  As said, there's over 300 other schools available.  Wake Forest could use his talents as well as lots of A10, Summit and MAC schools. If he wants to play for a Drew, Baylor's available too.  Shoot, I'll call some coaches I know.  Maravilla must not be very good if he can't find a landing spot.  Unfortunately, I suspect that Maravilla is using Skara as a pawn and looking for a package deal and good luck with that.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Boston College was winless in the ACC last season.  They could use David as well.  Surprised they (David and his entourage) haven't mentioned contacting them.  Nice Catholic (with a capital c) university in a great city.

valpo64

Is there still a possibility that Skara would return to VU?  And if so, would Matt welcome him "home"?

ValpoDad89

64, my guess would be yes, he would take him back. I'm sure there are many not really faulting David but the sleazoids advising him. If we didn't, we could be shone in a not so positive light as well.

VULB#62

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on May 06, 2016, 10:16:46 AMhttp://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/skara-s-transfer-appeal-to-be-heard/article_751264f2-d18c-5dc0-a952-c987f3907753.html

Yeah, I bet the door's still open. It'd be awkward, of course. But, I bet the door's still open. That may change depending on our recruiting situation, of course.