• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The New Arc???

Started by ValpoDad89, April 24, 2016, 08:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

While speaking about the ARC, and since we are in the last full week of classes for spring, I thought I'd mention something special to anticipate in the fall. There will be an unprecedented extravaganza celebration in the ARC on the Friday of Homecoming to which students, alumni, faculty, friends, and community will be invited, and it will serve as the kickoff for a new fundraising campaign. Mark your calendars: Sept. 23!

M

I've heard about this....should be a really good time  :thumbsup:

VULB#62

Quote from: atkins on April 26, 2016, 09:31:59 AM
As a technical matter, the new building would correctly be described as the "ARC."  It is an "athletic" and "recreation" center.  It would indeed be used for both purposes nearly 100% of the time.  Many universities refer to this sort of facility as a "recreation center" or "rec center."  Accordingly, referring to the building as the "ARC" is both accurate and consistent with industry standards. 

ValpoDad89 receives a passing grade on this assignment. 

Class dismissed.  Onward and upward. 

Professor atkins

Absolutely correct, atkins, the new recreation and athletic facility called for in the 30 plan should have the ARC name.  Actually back in February we discussed this very thing,

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2398.0

We even started  coming up with new names for the repurposed Hilltop/Old ARC that would evolve into primarily a basketball facility, plus VB, Swimming & Diving and Football (locker space).

Suggested at the time by Talksalot were:
   Drew Indoor
   The Drew
   The Ark
   Homer Dome
   Drew Indoor Varsity Arena (Diva?)
   B&G Center
   Madison Square Garden ... oh, sorry, that's already taken

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2398.msg66561#msg66561

Well.......   Things have changed a bit since then, so how about...
   Hilltop Arena or Pavillion
   Crusader Center or Pavillion or Arena
   Heckler Hoops Hall
   Schrage Indoor Stadium
   Thrivent Arena or Pavillion or Center

VULB#62

Speaking of a Thrivent Arena previously: "In 1902, AAL was chartered in Wisconsin as a fraternal benefit society.  Lutheran Brotherhood was a similar organization formed in Minnesota in 1917. Both organizations brought members together to support one another under the common bond of Lutheranism.  Having shared similar missions and values for decades, LB and AAL merged in 2001, becoming Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. As a not-for-profit on the Fortune 500, they could now support families and communities in more ways than ever."  Because of their charter, I believe they are obligated to distribute some of their earnings back to Lutherans. Thrivent advertises as well.

I believe that Valparaiso University is the largest, most prominent Lutheran university in the country and one of only two Lutheran D-I athletic programs (Wagner College, in NY and smaller, is the other).

My question is this:  Why hasn't VU been able to better leverage the natural link to Thrivent as a source for funding certain projects?  For instance, naming rights to pay for a portion or all of a refurbished Hilltop/Old ARC would be a tremendous vehicle for Thrivent to get its brand in front of national basketball audiences via Valpo's recent prominence as a mid-major on ESPN and in the NIT. 

Valpower

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 26, 2016, 11:00:15 AM

Well.......   Things have changed a bit since then, so how about...
   Hilltop Arena or Pavillion
   Crusader Center or Pavillion or Arena
   Heckler Hoops Hall
   Schrage Indoor Stadium
   Thrivent Arena or Pavillion or Center

How about the Bruce Drew Career Center?

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 26, 2016, 01:01:48 PMMy question is this:  Why hasn't VU been able to better leverage the natural link to Thrivent as a source for funding certain projects?  For instance, naming rights to pay for a portion or all of a refurbished Hilltop/Old ARC would be a tremendous vehicle for Thrivent to get its brand in front of national basketball audiences via Valpo's recent prominence as a mid-major on ESPN and in the NIT. 

Good question!

VULB#62

They have a pretty good logo and the catch phrase/motto fits.  Click on the screen shot to make larger

Vale O. Paradise

And with VU alums and former or current VU board members N. Cornell Boggs, Bonnie Raquet, and Fred G. Kraegel on Thrivent's board of directors, you'd think we'd be well situated for just such a partnership...

https://www.thrivent.com/governance/leadership-biographies/

VULB#62

bbtds

I think I've seen Thrivent advertising in Minnesota's, St Louis' and Milwaukee's MLB ball parks.

Ken Carow's son is a Valpo grad and a member of our church. He is IUPUI's associate Dean at the Kelley School of Business.

https://www.thrivent.com/governance/files/N.1_Carow.pdf