• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Aaaand ending our string of easily-googlable-name offers is Aaron Jordan!

6'4", 170 lb. SG from Plainfield East HS.  AAU:  Illinois Celtics

Elevated to varsity at the end of his freshman year (rode bench, but for a 27-2 team that lost in the sectional semi--which, remember Illinois:sectional::Indiana:regional). 

This year (helps that they graduated 9), as a sophomore--that's right, we're now recruiting/offering kids who may or may not be able to drive themselves to their visit these days--he led Plainfield E in scoring and more impressively, was named a team captain as a sophomore!  Was running the point at first, then moved to off guard.
Q&A  Team was only 11-15, though, losing to Batavia 61-52 in the regional quarterfinal.

Stats:  15.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.5 spg. 47% FG, area-best 49.6% 3 PT (59-of-119), 79.8% FTs (87-of-109).
Kid. Is. A. SHOOTER.

Awards:  All-Area Herald Times, Voyager Media All-Area 2nd team, All-Southwest Prairie, IBCA All-State special mention, all-St. Charles East Thanksgiving Tournament, all-Pekin Holiday Tournament, offensive and team MVP, captain as a sophomore

Coach's take (ibid):
QuoteBranden Adkins:  "Aaron is a fantastic scorer. Every night he had to face our opponents' best defender. Many times teams would adjust their strategies just to try to stop him. He is only reaching the beginning of his potential. His stock is rising. He is a great player."
Elsewhere:
Quote"Aaron did some tremendous things for us," East coach Branden Adkins said. "For only being a sophomore he played as a veteran. He stepped up to hit big and often game winning shots. He often saw opponents' best defender or a fury of double teams. He learned to play within his teammates and get them the ball as teams concentrated heavily on him. We are excited for the future for Aaron at not only Plainfield East but also beyond."
http://www.buglenewspapers.com/

Rival coach's take (Plainfield South), after he dropped 18 on them in a 66-49 playoff win:
Quote"That's the best I've seen Aaron play within their system, and it showed," South coach Tim Boe said. "He didn't try to force it, was aggressive when he needed to be and found his teammates when they were open."
last win of their season

spy versus spy, anyone

Scouts' takes (hot off the press, as above):
Quoteno player on the Celtics sports as much up side...Jordan was hands down the Celtics' most consistent player game in and game out.  And after turning in an outstanding weekend, we are completely sold on Jordan's ability.

Jordan is highly athletic and has a long wing span as well as a great motor.  And there is no question that he utilizes all of these attributes to his advantage.  Not only that, but he plays hard from start to finish.

Skill-wise, Jordan has the ability to get to the basket at will due to his considerable speed and strong upper body.  He also flourishes in the open court as the result of his excellent ball handling skills and the fact that he can repeatedly blow by defenders in one-on-one situations.  This greatly explains why Jordan is almost always in attack mode.

In addition to the aforementioned traits, Jordan also has tremendous scoring ability and is his mid-range game is especially effective.  Jordan is also quite capable of converting shots from beyond the 3-point arc although this is the one area where he still needs to show more consistency. [seriously people did you SEE HIS FREAKING STATS? also YOUR PROSE needs to show more consistency!!1!]... There is no question that Jordan has the makings of being a big-time college prospect.  And without meaning to scare those schools who have already offered, should Jordan continue to play the way he has over the course of the last month, we look for his stock to continue to go through the roof.
http://ilprepbullseye.com/ Luckily that last bit doesn't include us because WE JUST OFFERED nyah nyah.

Oh, Offers, you say?
Hampton, Fairfield, and two schools that don't sound like motels
(Illinois State and us, unless we become VALPARAISO UNIVERSITY BROUGHT TO YOU BY CARLTON LODGE).
FWIW, 247 lists his interest in all those as "cool", but not in the good way.
247 sportspage

Other interest?
Cal Poly, DePaul, Northwestern and
Quote"I've been on visits or open gyms with the following schools: Cal Poly, Creighton, Northern Iowa, DePaul, Purdue, UIC, San Diego St, and now Hampton."
chicago hoopz

Updates on his team and recruiting ca. mid December 2012 in this video:
Aaron Jordan Updates Recruiting  What he's looking for in a school: "education and basketball...place that feels like home"

Highlights: First, check out this sweet and-one off a finger roll.  Of course, it's easier when the defense stands there like the 1919 White Sox.  Embed fail, but click through anyway for Defensive Fail Hilarity:
I WILL DRIVE TO THE HOOP BUT YOU ALL MUST STAND STILL AND WATCH

Distractingly edited montage starts out with comical high school jump-ball hijinx. EDIT:  middle school? makes more sense...
Aaron Jordan Montage
Continues with pull-up 3s, penetrating and then scurrying back to the 3 point line, which is only ok because he makes it.  Then again, if I shot 50% on 3s, why would you take anything other than a point-blank layup?  GAME THEORY'd.  Actually, then there are a couple sweet drive and finishes.  Then he shoots alone at Illinois State.  Don't do that, young man.  Look around...no one's there!  And then the kid shows him shooting a FT in slo mo.  From the 37th row.  Hey, don't ask me.  I just put what I find.  It gets better--then we graduate to technical foul shots, then ones where there are actually people lined up (see the progression?  SCORSESE i tell you).

But the best is for last.  1:51ff appears to be some kind of buzzer beater, and it's made possible by some very bold and confident moves.  Pretty awesome.

Ironically his freshman year highlights are eerily similar, except no one in the seats at the JV games:  opening tip hilarity, 3 point shots, etc.: (EDIT:  this is because it's the same footage!  whoops :))
MaxPreps

After that...slim.  I got 2 7th grade highlights if you want them!  (Of course you do.) Uploaded by a parent or relative:
Aaron Jordan Basketball Clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6N8tRda_XA (another embed fail!)
Hey, it's only 8 minutes of your life.  And at least the first highlight of the first one shows how persistent he is. :)

So...after us he's headed to Illinois.  Not the State either.  The real one.  Whose fans have no problem flaunting their ignorance in public: oh the horror that is scout message boards
Quoteillininutt1:  This may be that schools first "star" in hoops!!  Before this kid came along....98% of the kids at that school did not know if a basketball was filled with air or rags!

wizzie: That's not even remotely true. Just because you don't know much about a high school, doesn't mean nothing happened.
Again, I post the link so you don't think I'm making it up or adulterating it in any way.  Hey, what else do they have to do--talk about football?  :lol: Oh, pot-kettle you say?  TOO BAD ILLINI I'M A MICHIGAN MAN

Elsewhere an Illini fan gets nostalgic:
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/
QuoteGlad I read that. I had no idea Roger Powell was an assistant for Valpo.

Man, I hope he does well there and eventually finds his way back to the Illini as an assistant.
HEY YOU YOU SHUT YOUR NO GOOD FILTHY PIE HOLE RIGHT NOW oh wait well i guess i agree with the protasis of that statement after all thank you

If things don't work out in BB: Once hit a golf ball 300 yards.  In 7th grade.
same Q&A article

Refreshing: Appears not to have the Twitterz. Aaron Jordan Twitter: OnMyGrind_22

BONUS:  OPPOSITE NAME IS OPPOSITE DAY

one of these men is about to miss a shot can you guess which one no sorry guess again oh wait actually that is right.

Player A:  37.1% FG / 34.5% 3PT (OK, it's Aaron, Jordan)
Player Z:  47.1% FG / 49.6% 3PT (OK, it's Aaron Jordan)

Well, it's only fitting that since UMW's Jordan Aaron has the opposite name, that he also has the opposite shooting ability...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

As always, great stuff from LaPorteAveApostle!  :thumbsup:

However, one correction on your final comment: "Refreshing: Appears not to have the Twitterz." Jordan's twitter handle seems to be "OnMyGrind_22"

LaPorteAveApostle

Thank you, my friend!

As to the twitter handle...well, that's decidedly NOT refreshing :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 03, 2013, 08:57:37 PM
As to the twitter handle...well, that's decidedly NOT refreshing :)

Onmygrind_22... Clearly a devoted skateboarder.

Aaronsdad

Laporte....you didnt mention anything about Aaron's 4.71 GPA (yes 4) That's what I'm most proud of.

valpopal

"Laporte....you didnt mention anything about Aaron's 4.71 GPA (yes 4) That's what I'm most proud of."

Yes, deserves 4 of these: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

"What he's looking for in a school: 'education and basketball...place that feels like home'"

I think he just described VU.  :)

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on May 03, 2013, 06:03:10 PM
We have another one on the table: Bryce apparently extended an offer to Aaron Jordan during his visit to campus this afternoon.

Ah - OK.  I wasn't sure just from the photo, but it seemed plausible.  I think he was with (presumably) his mom and dad having lunch in the union.  First with Roger, then Roger seemed to trade places with Jake and Bryce (and... David Albers dropped by too?).

His dad, in fact, was the most memorable of the group!  Seemed like they were having a good time.

I hope you enjoyed your time at Valpo, and that your son joins us for a longer stay!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Aaronsdad on May 06, 2013, 11:35:31 AMLaporte....you didnt mention anything about Aaron's 4.71 GPA (yes 4) That's what I'm most proud of.
Wow!  That...that is amazing.

I would have definitely put that if I could have found it, but if I could have that would have said some sketchy things about me and hacking into public school networks :)

It also says a lot about YOU that that is what YOU are most proud of.  A lot of dads know their son's PPG more easily than their GPA.  So thanks!

Please let me know if there's anything else either incorrect or omitted!

Aaronsdad

Since you asked ;D  The footage in the montage begins with his middle school play in the 7th grade (not high school jump ball) up to the dunk before the ISU shooting clips.

You did a good job of searching. Profiles and Videos are on the team site illinoiscelticsbasketball

Aaronsdad

Top Three Performers At Bill Hensley Memorial Run 'n Slam From Amongst Illinois-Based PlayersBy Roy & Harv Schmidt

May 6, 2013

9:00 A.M. CST

The Bill Hensley Memorial Run 'n Slam in Fort Wayne, IN is always one of our favorite events to cover during the spring because it is one of the few places where virtually all of the top Illinois-based travel teams play under the same roof.  And because of that, there is no question that there was a wealth of individual talent on display.

When everything was over, there were three players from the Land Of Lincoln whose performances overshadowed everybody else.  Therefore without any further adieu, let's take a closer look at the top three performers from this past weekend.

1) Josh Cunningham          6'7   2014   WF   Chicago (Morgan Park)   Mac Irvin Fire 17-U

Cunningham is often the forgotten man when it comes to talking about the top wings in Illinois from the talented 2014 class.  But after watching him dominate throughout the weekend at Spiece that should no longer be the case.  With the Mac Irvin Fire 17-U squad playing without both Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander and having a total of only eight players, Cunningham put the team on his back in every game.  His most outstanding effort came in a 2nd round gold division tournament matchup versus Team NLP.  In that game Cunningham was unstoppable, scoring 32 points and shooting a whopping 13-13 from the floor.

Cunningham has been projected by many as a 4 because he has spent the majority of his time playing on the interior for his high school team.  However, we have no doubt that Cunningham can be a dynamite 3 at the college level.  That is because he has proven that he can play away from the basket as he can face up and knock down shots from 3-point land in addition to consistently going to war inside.  Cunningham did exactly that at the Run 'N Slam.  At the present time Cunningham holds scholarship offers from DePaul, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Bradley, Northern Illinois and UMass.  Make no mistake about it--Cunningham is a high major recruit all the way and we have a feeling that he could end up being one that has some college coaches ultimately asking, "why did we end up passing on this guy?"

2) Roosevelt Smart          6'3   2015   2G   Palatine (H.S.)   Illinois Wolves 16-U

We have said it before but it bears repeating--of all the talented guards on the Illinois Wolves 16-Under team, Smart is the one who sports the most upside.  This was plainly evident at Run 'n Slam.  Smart was nothing short of phenomenal in a pool play contest versus the West Michigan Lakers, winding up with 32 points in a 70-45 pasting.  He was instrumental in leading the Wolves to the championship game in the 16U silver division.  Smart has an extremely high motor which he utilizes every opportunity he gets.  As a result, he finishes on the break and scores at will in transition.  But that's not all--Smart has also shown that he can consistently hit pullup jumpers either set or off the dribble as he has a sweet looking shot and a smooth, quick release.  Defensively Smart covers considerable ground due to his long wing span.  There is undoubtedly a lot to like which is why we believe it is only inevitable that the high majors will ultimately come calling.

3) Aaron Jordan          6'4   2015   2G   Plainfield (East)   Illinois Celtics 16-U

Jordan picked up right where he left off after turning in an outstanding performance a week ago at the Derby City Classic in Louisville.  In fact he was spectacular when we watched him in a first round 16U gold division contest versus Playground Elite.  Jordan turned in a double-double in that contest, finishing with 21 points and 10 rebounds.  We have already sung Jordan's praises (ilprepbullseye.com/Jordan_Player_Watch) but actually there is even more that needs to be said.  That is because Jordan is an even better perimeter shooter than we previously gave him credit for.  He actually shoots at an extremely high percentage (over 50 percent 3-pointers this past high school season) and simply does not take bad shots.  Combine that with his terrific instincts around the basket and ability to make his teammates better and you have a player who we believe currently ranks among the top five in Illinois from the 2015 class.  In addition to the schools that we have previously mentioned being involved with Jordan recruiting-wise, DePaul and Northwestern are also now showing a high level of interest.

***********************************************************************************************

vu72

Young Mr. Jordan seems like a missing link to a major run in the NCAAs.  A stellar point/2 guard who can do it all.  Valpo is the perfect fit given his desire for a family like environment, talented teammates and a fantastic place to pursue high level academics.  I'd love to see another player with his personal and player characteristics.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 06, 2013, 08:27:06 PM
Young Mr. Jordan seems like a missing link to a major run in the NCAAs.  A stellar point/2 guard who can do it all.  Valpo is the perfect fit given his desire for a family like environment, talented teammates and a fantastic place to pursue high level academics.  I'd love to see another player with his personal and player characteristics.

In addition, I can't imagine there are many better head coaches to work with to develop a guard's skills than Bryce Drew.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 03, 2013, 08:28:49 PM
IllPrepBullsEye:  Jordan is also quite capable of converting shots from beyond the 3-point arc although this is the one area where he still needs to show more consistency.
[me:  seriously people did you SEE HIS FREAKING STATS? also YOUR PROSE needs to show more consistency!!1!]

Quote from: Aaronsdad on May 06, 2013, 07:53:38 PM
IllPrepBullsEye: Jordan is an even better perimeter shooter than we previously gave him credit for.  He actually shoots at an extremely high percentage (over 50 percent 3-pointers this past high school season)

theory A) they read my report
theory B) they saw the freaking stats (and still reported them wrong)
theory C) they simply WATCHED THE KID SHOOT (brilliant i know how hard was that?) !!!

To the Jordans, Happy Birthday!  I can't imagine too many better birthday presents than a college scholarship valued in the low six figures :)

Did you let him drive home? :D

vufan75

Another update on Aaron Jordan from chicagohoops.com dated today, 5-9-13. No mention of Aaron's Valpo visit.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/insider2/1324-red-hot-aaron-jordan-adds-another-offer

Red-Hot Aaron Jordan Adds Another Offer
Published on Thursday, 09 May 2013 11:22 Written by Chicago Hoops

Class of 2015 Plainfield East star Aaron Jordan of the Illinois Celtics has now added a scholarship offer from Creighton.

Jordan, a 6'4 shooting guard, is one of the top prospects in the 2015 class.  He is coming off of a sophomore season which saw him average better than 15 points per game, and is a prospect who continues to see his recruiting stock skyrocket.

Jordan also holds offers from Fairfield, Hampton and Illinois State.  The University of Illinois is showing strong interest in Jordan, who took an unofficial visit to the Illinois campus earlier this week.

valpotx

Seriously?  Hampton and Fairfield think they have a chance?  I know that sometimes you make an offer just to make an offer, but they have a 0% chance at getting this guy
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 09, 2013, 01:06:36 PMHampton and Fairfield think they have a chance?

you could say they think they have an inn with him...

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on May 09, 2013, 01:06:36 PM
Seriously?  Hampton and Fairfield think they have a chance?  I know that sometimes you make an offer just to make an offer, but they have a 0% chance at getting this guy

They were, at least, inn first.  And we were inn relatively early.  I suppose you never _know_ if the big guys are going to jump in the pool.  And, even if they do, sometimes the kids do seem to value those who got behind them early.

LaPorteAveApostle

There's motelling where you might take this next.

Aaronsdad

Agibson, you are correct .....Schools that were "INN" early get special consideration..and it certainly doesnt hurt to have a former NBA PLAYER and legacy as a Head Coach.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Aaronsdad on May 10, 2013, 09:53:29 AMSchools that were "INN" early get special consideration
Stay three years, get the fourth free? :)

Sorry, I just thought that was Expediant.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, looks like Palombizio will be staying in Porter County after all:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20422220-556/palombizio-staying-at-chesterton-after-all.html

his dad must be a piece of work.

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 29, 2013, 08:08:59 PM
Well, looks like Palombizio will be staying in Porter County after all:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/20422220-556/palombizio-staying-at-chesterton-after-all.html

his dad must be a piece of work.

To correct one item in the posttrib story, Traders Point is in Whitestown, just off the Zionsville exit on I-65 on the northwest side of Indy.  It may or may not matter, but Traders Point is also the home of the Champions Academy that offers individual skills development.  Champions founder and main instructor Ed Schilling is headed to UCLA to join Alford's staff, so that move may have had something to do with the change of heart.  Just speculation on my part.

LaPorteAveApostle

sounds more like Traitor's Point ;)

wasn't Ed Schilling at Park Tudor, though?