• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on August 06, 2014, 11:41:18 AMAre you going to try and to (for zville's benefit ;)) contact Hammink directly? 

I appreciate that!  My late mother spent 33 years of her life teaching proper grammar to elementary schools kids, but I realize I'm just an old guy fighting a losing battle.  Now get off my lawn!!  ;)

valpopal

With this year's additions of Walker and Joseph from Canada, Hammink from Netherlands, and Skara from Croatia—joining with Jamaica's Fernandez—the following video about Valpo's tradition of recruiting international players can be appreciated:

Valpo Basketball: International Players

valpotx

I don't think I ever heard KVW speak before this video.  It sounds like he has obviously spoken English his entire life, which is pretty normal for the Dutch.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on August 21, 2014, 12:54:12 AM
I don't think I ever heard KVW speak before this video.  It sounds like he has obviously spoken English his entire life, which is pretty normal for the Dutch.
Kevin spoke Spanish his whole life yet that was his major at Valpo. He admitted he was extremely bored in school and basketball was his whole life.

vufan75

Hopefully this has not already been asked, but Verbal Commits shows Tevonn Walker and Max Joseph as juniors (jucos)? I know that the education system in Quebec and Canada works differently than here in the U.S., but I had presumed these two young men would be classified as freshmen. Does anyone know for sure? The Valpo basketball roster for 2014-15 lists both young men with a status of freshmen, which I would think is correct. Why the difference I wonder and why would Verbal Commits show their status as juniors other than it being an error? 

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso 

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/roster/

LaPorteAveApostle

This might actually be the third time this thread:

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2013, 10:10:25 AM
soooooo....yesterday was early signing day, and looks like no news.

Looking for Max Joseph and Tevonn Walker, but it looks like nothing so far.

Went over to verbalcommits, and they are still listed as verbal (something about typing that sentence makes it seem tautological...hmmm...)
http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

but Walker is listed as a Soph / JUCO player?  What gives?

No twitter activity for Walker of late...anyone know or follow Joseph?

Quote from: covufan on November 14, 2013, 10:44:18 AM
I sent verbalcommits a note on that a few weeks ago.  They replied they know about the problem, and that his profile has been doing some weird things.  Has not been fixed, though.

Quote from: wh on July 16, 2014, 03:27:54 PM
Are you referring to Joseph and Walker showing as juniors?  ;)

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 16, 2014, 03:31:04 PM
That too!  Yikes...well, you read up and see how many of us were confused by "Vanier College" :)

and finally, the definitive answer, per historyman, who posted on this very page (depending on how you're paginated):

Quote from: historyman on July 16, 2014, 08:40:18 PM

Here's a review, for those who missed the explanation, of what kind of school Vanier College is.

The two Canadian guards are students at Vanier College.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/

Vanier College is a publicly-funded English language CEGEP located in Montreal. Named in honour of General Georges P. Vanier, Canada's second native-born Governor General, Vanier College opened its doors on September 8, 1970, welcoming close to 1,400 students in its first cohort. The Vanier College Crest is an adaption of the Vanier family Coat of Arms.

As is typical in Canada Quebec runs their educational system differently than the other provinces in Canada. Vanier College is a CEGEP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP

CEGEP (/sˈʒɛp/ say-zhep or /ˈsɛp/ see-jep; French: Cégep; also CÉGEP, Cegep or Cégep) is an acronym for Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel, known officially in English as a "General and Vocational College".[1] It refers to the public post-secondary education collegiate institutions exclusive to the education system in the province of Quebec in Canada. It is a loanword from French.
Although all colleges in Quebec are colloquially referred to as CEGEPs, only public colleges are officially referred to by that name. Both public (CEGEPs) and private colleges have the same function in Quebec.[2] Although they may occasionally be compared to junior colleges or community colleges, CEGEPs differ in that a Diploma of College Studies[1] (or Diplôme d'études collégiales, DEC) is required for university admission in Quebec unless a student enters as a mature student which typically means a minimum age of 21 with other requirements. Pre-university programs are typically two years in duration, which explains why secondary school and undergraduate degrees are both one year shorter in Quebec relative to elsewhere in Canada. A student in Quebec cannot enter university with a secondary diploma from Quebec alone.
The purpose of a separate collegiate education level is to make post-secondary education more accessible in Quebec, as well as to provide proper academic preparation for university.[3] There are both public subsidized and private colleges, with the public CEGEPs having little or no tuition fee. The CEGEP system was started in 1967 by the Quebec provincial government and originally consisted of 12 CEGEPs. Today, 48 CEGEPs exist in Quebec, of which 5 are English language-medium.

So if I have read this correctly the high schools are 3 years in Quebec and the undergraduate university programs are 3 years in Quebec. So the two Canadian guards are in a General and Vocational College (CEGEP)(2 years) which is a requirement in the Quebec system to go to university. So they are in a college prep school which was required of them if they had chosen to attend a Quebec university.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/cegep.php

In 1967, the Quebec government established a new level education which directly follows high school. The CEGEP system (collège d'enseignement general et professionnel) offers both two-year pre-university programs and three-year technical careeer programs. Vanier College is one of 48 public Cegeps in the province.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

WHOOPS
Sorry, LAA. I'll blame it on old age I guess.

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey, no prob.  You got the Levingston scoop, so you're still a couple to the good.

And you can't be that old because you figured out how to do that WHOOPS thing.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa