• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Detroit, 2/7/2014

Started by HC, February 03, 2014, 06:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoFan

I just visited the thread from last year and I can't believe that LVD was considered an "awful PG and useless player". Since I didn't follow the team last year, I am not sure if he really was bad last year or if the poster is just a LVD hater. I honestly think that he is our second best player after Jubril this year.

justducky

Quote from: ValpoFan on February 08, 2014, 06:09:23 PMI just visited the thread from last year and I can't believe that LVD was considered an "awful PG and useless player". Since I didn't follow the team last year, I am not sure if he really was bad last year or if the poster is just a LVD hater.
LVD was a very solid but somewhat inconsistent back up 2 last year but his PG play was a big disappointment. Much of the Feb. Detroit rout last season was enabled by his struggles with the backup PG play. I am almost afraid  to look back at what I might of said at the time because I might have been kicking him while he was down also.  ;)

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 08, 2014, 05:37:31 PMdon't break your hand patting yourself on the back just yet, since you didn't have the stones to post your prediction in this thread.
Truth is I wasn't near the internet from 2/2/14 till today. I certainly would have made that prediction if that thread had been posted but you have warned posters not to start threads until the previous game was completed. It was on my mind.

Quote from: bbtds on November 16, 2013, 11:30:31 AM I thought I'd get this one started also. From what I have seen you can watch this game for $6.95 by starting an account on AcesTV. http://www.gopurpleaces.com/showcase/ I'm hoping some "private entrepreneurs" will feel "quasi-obliged" to provide a free feed somewhere on the internet. (wink, wink)
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 16, 2013, 01:01:22 PM

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

I have posted a gallery of more than 40 photographs from the game for all to check out, including the one below displaying a reaction by Bobby that all the players seemed to share, which means that I think they will come out with even more determination against Oakland. The set of photos can be seen at the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157640694224223/

Smj

LVD was in the wrong role last year...   He is a 2 and he struggled playing the point.    (I'd be surprised if that is not something that was said last year. )

oklahomamick

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2014, 01:01:21 PMI seriously do not understand why UDM players insist on rubbing salt in an open would like that.  It can only come back to haunt them later.  It does not give them any advantage whatsoever.  It's a quick high that can easily lead to a long drawn out low.  It's a cheap thrill with an expensive backlash.And that is squarely on one Ray McCallum, Sr.

It's a lack of team discipline.  I'm seeing it first hand in Oklahoma with OSU.  Teams that lack discipline and responsibility will never reach their potential.  Let's be honest, has Ray Sr. been successful at Detroit with exception for the 2 years his son and other great players were there?  Even then, I think they underachieved.  Ray Sr. doesn't get the best out of his teams.  History and records tell us this.  Underachievers due to a lack of leadership and discipline. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2014, 10:14:59 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 08, 2014, 01:01:21 PMI seriously do not understand why UDM players insist on rubbing salt in an open would like that.  It can only come back to haunt them later.  It does not give them any advantage whatsoever.  It's a quick high that can easily lead to a long drawn out low.  It's a cheap thrill with an expensive backlash.And that is squarely on one Ray McCallum, Sr.

It's a lack of team discipline.  I'm seeing it first hand in Oklahoma with OSU.  Teams that lack discipline and responsibility will never reach their potential.  Let's be honest, has Ray Sr. been successful at Detroit with exception for the 2 years his son and other great players were there?  Even then, I think they underachieved.  Ray Sr. doesn't get the best out of his teams.  History and records tell us this.  Underachievers due to a lack of leadership and discipline.

For a team with an NBA talent, a single 15-seed appearance shouldn't be viewed as successful. Look at what Howard, Norris Cole, Shelvin Mack were able to do and then look at how Detroit consistently came into the league with top 3 talent and were only able to sneak into the tournament once to play Kansas in the first round.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpopal

I know many might hate to revisit the Detroit at Valpo game, but I thought it interesting that it is listed as Number 10 in the "Top 10 Mid-Major Games of the Year" by SB Nation Mid-Major Madness: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2014/4/16/5620110/top-10-mid-major-games-of-the-year

In case you forgot (Who wouldn't want to?), here is my photo of the winning shot: