• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Parking garage to be readied for men's basketball season

Started by wh, September 02, 2014, 09:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Valpo announced plans to recondition the parking ramp, improve lighting, and install security cameras between now and November. The site will provide additional parking for student and athletic events, including home basketball games. A walkway will be constructed to connect the ramp and the Athletics-Recreation Center, and new lighting will be installed to enhance the path.

http://www.noodls.com/view/D04847FDE247A1AAFDF930D44B844D92445E4610?723xxx1409703464

LaPorteAveApostle

There may or may not be any truth to the rumor that they coaxed the homeless man out of the garage with a promise to let him walk on the team.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 02, 2014, 09:55:16 PM
There may or may not be any truth to the rumor that they coaxed the homeless man out of the garage with a promise to let him walk on the team.

There is no truth to that rumor. I told them I wanted season tickets and that was denied due to the astronomical cost.

Living in that parking garage was no piece of cake. Have you ever tried to sleep on cardboard on top of concrete?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

humbleopinion

What do you suppose the mean by  a "walkway?"  Is that something more than a sidewalk?
Beamin' Beacons

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: humbleopinion on September 03, 2014, 01:10:59 PM
What do you suppose the mean by  a "walkway?"  Is that something more than a sidewalk?

Probably just a wide sidewalk. According to the NWI Times: "The university wants to put solar panels on the garage roof to provide power for the garage's needs as well as to light a new 8-foot pathway from the garage to the Athletics-Recreation Center to make it easier for people to get to games there. All but the solar panels should be completed by the end of October, he said."
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

historyman

Remember that the old tennis courts/parking lot is gone and occupied by the track, the pole vault and other events. So now people have to walk through the field where the hospital used to be and then down University Park Ave to get to the ARC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4654364,-87.0501753,584m/data=!3m1!1e3
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Some nice landscaping work (flowers, plants, other greenery) is being done around the perimeter of the parking garage and adjacent outdoor lot.  Good job of bringing a shuttered facility back to life.   

VULB#62

It's still a pretty long walk over to the ARC.  Any nice stuff along the path -- landscaping, lighting??

This Porter County land acquisition has SO MUCH potential for the university.  I hope I am around to see how it all turns out.

wh

The walkway connecting the parking garage and the ARC hasn't been started yet.  I would expect to see activity soon, given that basketball and cold weather are right around the corner.  As to the distance, while it's not as convenient as parking directly across the street (of course), it's still only 1 city block.  I've parked that far or farther at several other venues over the years.   

okinawatyphoon

I think when the former Porter Hospital property fills out, the parking garage will be a lot more convenient. In the meantime, I'm sure the students living in Guild/Memorial will be grateful for the (hopefully) decreased burden on that parking lot across from the ARC.

Chairback

I think this will help.  I've parked by the softball field lot before and have to assume that this is just as far of a walk as the parking garage.

Are there plans to charge to park in the garage?

wh

The walkway has been outlined with orange paint. It begins directly across from the entrance to the parking garage, runs due south toward Brown Field, curves to the west around the track, then continues south, and ends at the north entrance to the ARC parking lot. Looks like it will be nice and wide - maybe 5'?

VULB#62

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 18, 2014, 12:59:51 PM
Needs to be wide enough for a snow plow or Bobcat.

Ah yes, the joys of wintertime in NWI. I can't wait! (Potential recruits: please ignore)  ;)

vufan75

Quote from: wh on September 18, 2014, 12:54:18 PM
The walkway has been outlined with orange paint. It begins directly across from the entrance to the parking garage, runs due south toward Brown Field, curves to the west around the track, then continues south, and ends at the north entrance to the ARC parking lot. Looks like it will be nice and wide - maybe 5'?

According to an article in The Torch, the walkway will be 8' wide. A link to the article dated 9/12/14 is below.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_057a07d2-3aa4-11e4-9e51-001a4bcf6878.html

a3uge

Love how they're not ditching the master plan 3 seconds after creating a new one.

valpopal

Work on the walkway began this week with the entire length of its path dug up.

okinawatyphoon

wh

The pathway was ready for use prior to last week's GVS game. It looks great, and will look even better when lights are installed. Finally, the parking garage looks connected and has purpose. Another noticable improvement...

okinawatyphoon

Quote from: wh on November 09, 2014, 11:41:31 AM
The pathway was ready for use prior to last week's GVS game. It looks great, and will look even better when lights are installed. Finally, the parking garage looks connected and has purpose. Another noticable improvement...

Thanks for the update. If anyone could snatch a picture sometime, that would be appreciated.  :thumbsup: