• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking to November

Started by wh, October 28, 2014, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict our November record:

8-0
1 (3%)
7-1
2 (6.1%)
6-2
15 (45.5%)
5-3
10 (30.3%)
4-4
3 (9.1%)
3 or fewer
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: November 13, 2014, 06:50:39 AM

wh

Following is the 8-game schedule for NOV: 
(In parentheses - opponents predicted finish in conf.)

NOV14 East Tennessee State (3rd of 10 teams Southern)
NOV16 at Missouri (12th of 14 teams SEC)
NOV19 IU South Bend   
NOV21 Central Michigan Tournament vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff (4th of 10 SWAC)
NOV23 Central Michigan Tournament vs Maine (8th of 9 America East)
NOV28 Challenge in Music City vs Drake (10th of 10 MVC)
NOV29 Challenge in Music City vs Murray State (1st of 12 OVC)
NOV30 Challenge in Music City vs Portland (6th of 10 West Coast)

What will our NOV record be?

78crusader

EddieCabot

I voted 6-2, with losses to Murray State and @ Missouri.  Valpo *should* be able to beat a mediocre Missouri team, but until they prove they can be a BCS (or Big 5 or whatever) conference team, I'm not betting on it.  The other games don't look that challenging.

LaPorteAveApostle

Let's express it this way, while aware that these are last year's stats.

#206 @ #184
#184 @ #49
NAIA @ #184
#184 vs. #264
#184 vs. #330
#184 vs. #174
#184 vs. #142
#184 vs. #178
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2014, 10:19:42 AMuntil they prove they can be a BCS (or Big 5 or whatever) conference team
i think you'll be waiting a century or two
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

LaPorteAveApostle

wait, doesn't saying that actually side you with Big D & wh?!?

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2014, 10:19:42 AM
I voted 6-2, with losses to Murray State and @ Missouri.  Valpo *should* be able to beat a mediocre Missouri team, but until they prove they can be a BCS (or Big 5 or whatever) conference team, I'm not betting on it.  The other games don't look that challenging.

I agree with your thinking on who we should beat but there is always the one game where Valpo doesn't do what they should do. I really don't think Murray St will be that good and whoever is playing better at the time wins a close game. The Portland game will come down to whichever team has the better bench because it will be both teams 3rd game in 3 days.

I went with 5-3.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 28, 2014, 10:22:48 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on October 28, 2014, 10:19:42 AMuntil they prove they can be a BCS (or Big 5 or whatever) conference team
i think you'll be waiting a century or two

Gotta love auto correct!!!

covufan

Also 6-2, with a close loss to Murray State and Missouri.   I wanted to pick 7-1 hoping for the Murray state win.  If we end up 5-3, it could be another up and down year, especially in the Horizon.

LAA - I'm waiting for this season's O/U.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on October 28, 2014, 12:20:36 PM
Also 6-2, with a close loss to Murray State and Missouri.   I wanted to pick 7-1 hoping for the Murray state win.  If we end up 5-3, it could be another up and down year, especially in the Horizon.

What will make the difference from last season? Pluses seem even with minuses. Hope is the only thing. We get that every year and yet never really materializes in a positive way, just up and down.

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 02:04:54 PM

What will make the difference from last season? Pluses seem even with minuses. Hope is the only thing. We get that every year and yet never really materializes in a positive way, just up and down.

Several things.  Sure we lost two bigs who were slow and not scoring threats.  We also lost Lexus and Clay.  We gain E. Victor.  When was the last very athletic big we have had?  My sense is he is major conference athletic.  Next, and probably most important is experience.  Alec, Jubril and Vashil all gained starter minutes with Alec and jubril only being freshman.  Bryce has also said that Alec is much better then last year.  Lastly is Keith Carter.  As with LaVonte, who also became eligible at mid-year, Keith looked uncomfortable but showed some signes of brilliance.  LaVonte went from part-time contributor to first team all conference.  I expect great things from Keith.  As for the loss of Clay, he really didn't give us much last year and we have picked up three guards who are athletic to very athletic.  Hammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.  He and E. victor have major conference experience.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ARCInsider

A much-improved Alec Peters...

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PM

Several things.  Sure we lost two bigs who were slow and not scoring threats.  We also lost Lexus and Clay.  We gain E. Victor.  When was the last very athletic big we have had?  My sense is he is major conference athletic.  Next, and probably most important is experience.  Alec, Jubril and Vashil all gained starter minutes with Alec and jubril only being freshman.  Bryce has also said that Alec is much better then last year.  Lastly is Keith Carter.  As with LaVonte, who also became eligible at mid-year, Keith looked uncomfortable but showed some signes of brilliance.  LaVonte went from part-time contributor to first team all conference.  I expect great things from Keith.  As for the loss of Clay, he really didn't give us much last year and we have picked up three guards who are athletic to very athletic.  Hammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.  He and E. victor have major conference experience.

We hope E Victor is this good. He's coming off surgery. We hope Bryce is correct about Alec. We hope Keith can fill in better. We hope Vashil is much better. We hope we get great contributions from newcomers.

It's funny how possibilities become guarantees as they get talked about more and more here.

We know Lexus won't play this year. We know Clay is gone. We know one clog up the middle on D is gone. We know LeVonte is gone.

Time to get the hanky out and clean the brown and gold off our glasses.

vu72

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2014, 07:50:39 AM
Following is the 8-game schedule for NOV: 
(In parentheses - opponents predicted finish in conf.)

NOV14 East Tennessee State (3rd of 10 teams Southern)
NOV16 at Missouri (12th of 14 teams SEC)
NOV19 IU South Bend   
NOV21 Central Michigan Tournament vs Arkansas-Pine Bluff (4th of 10 SWAC)
NOV23 Central Michigan Tournament vs Maine (8th of 9 America East)
NOV28 Challenge in Music City vs Drake (10th of 10 MVC)
NOV29 Challenge in Music City vs Murray State (1st of 12 OVC)
NOV30 Challenge in Music City vs Portland (6th of 10 West Coast)

What will our NOV record be?
Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM

We hope E Victor is this good. He's coming off surgery. We hope Bryce is correct about Alec. We hope Keith can fill in better. We hope Vashil is much better. We hope we get great contributions from newcomers.

It's funny how possibilities become guarantees as they get talked about more and more here.

We know Lexus won't play this year. We know Clay is gone. We know one clog up the middle on D is gone. We know LeVonte is gone.

Quote from: bbtds on October 28, 2014, 04:39:46 PM

Hopes--yes. Educated guesses--yes.  We have an eye witness report on Alec from Bryce.  Is he just trying to get our hopes up?  We have lots of examples of freshman--even freshman who never saw much action during their freshman year--getting much better their sophomore year.  Will our guys be different?  Perhaps.  Sure there is hope on several fronts.  We will just have to wait about three more weeks to get our first glimpse!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

All right, then, let's put it out here (was going to be a separate post, but since the discussion has already started):

YOUR 2015 VU CRUSADERS

THINGS THAT ARE U2 THE JOSHUA TREE
Soph Alec Peters >> Fr Alec Peters
Sr Vashil > Jr Vashil
Soph Jubril > Fr Jubril
active E-Victor >> inactive E-Victor / revolving door at 3

THINGS THAT ARE U2 POP
whoever is at SG << LVD
a Canadian car < a Lexus
a big man bench of...um...Skara and Chadwick? << a bench of Moussa & Bobby (especially given Vashil magnetically attracts fouls)

THINGS THAT ARE EVERY EDGE GUITAR LICK
Keith Carter ~= Keith Carter
End of bench (Davidson, other Canadian, Chadwick, Levingston) ~= End of bench (Davidson, Coleman, Chadwick, Yeo)

THINGS THAT ARE DONALD RUMSFELD*
Shane Hammink going to play or what now?
Health of E-Victor?
How long will it take B-Drew to define roles?

*"known unknowns"

bbtds

Others have had hope......................

:lol:

justducky

4 and 3 or 3-4 both seem equally likely. The starting 5 could be solid but I will need to view all the backup players before I can up my expectations. Generally the more negative I am the better the team does so with that in mind I have voted 3-4 . I also will refuse to predict the exhibition game and could care less about its results.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2014, 04:17:10 PMHammink could be a real plus if ruled eligible as he could be another big athletic kid.

First game is just over a week away and still no word on Hammink's eligibility?   :crazy:

a3uge

While I'm not totally sold on the whole "Bryce is wanted for every job ever" bandwagon, I do think he's been outstanding at developing prospects/raw talents into much better players.

Take the 2012 team. Buggs developed an offensive game (sans being able to shoot) by the time he was a senior... When he was a sophomore he rarely shot the ball because he couldn't really finish at the rim. Kenny was terrible his freshman and sophomore year and consistently drove in the lane wildly out of control. Broekhoff was raw as a freshman, and looked like a poor volume shooter. Van Wijk was merely a backup to a Corey Johnson, and with his bad back, it was hard to take a 6ft 7 center seriously. By the time these guys were seniors, they had progressed significantly. None of these guys were high rated recruits, or had NBA bodies, but the team ended with the highest RPI in the program's history, and finished the regular season significantly ahead of a team with an NBA player and a summer league player.

And take last years team... While Capo didn't seem to progress at all, but we saw Dority turn into a 1st teamer. Vashil astonishingly turned into a serviceable player. Even Coleman had much better points and assists per-40 numbers.

I think Bryce does a good job of developing players and getting the most out of them, so I have reason to believe that Carter, Peters, and Jubril will be better than last year. Maybe this is the year Vashil learns that he has to go straight up in order to not foul out each game... But that's the problem with this team. It's not deep down low, and it again is going into the season with a bunch of question marks. Who's going to score if Alec is having an off day... or if he gets doubled? Who comes in for Vashil when he commits 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes? How good are the new guys? It feels a bit like last year where we'll have to fill the gaps with question marks, but not nearly so bad. Making a prediction, I would imagine we'll finish 3 or 4 games above .500 for the year and be sad about losing to eventual 15 seed in tournament.

wh

Quote from: justducky on October 28, 2014, 09:26:52 PM
4 and 3 or 3-4 both seem equally likely. The starting 5 could be solid but I will need to view all the backup players before I can up my expectations. Generally the more negative I am the better the team does so with that in mind I have voted 3-4 . I also will refuse to predict the exhibition game and could care less about its results.

All 8 dates/opponents I listed at the beginning of the thread are "real" games. Our 1 and only exhibition game is on Nov 6th Grand Valley State, which I did not list since it doesn't count toward our won/loss record.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2014, 11:32:56 PM
Quote from: justducky on October 28, 2014, 09:26:52 PM

All 8 dates/opponents I listed at the beginning of the thread are "real" games. Our 1 and only exhibition game is on Nov 6th Grand Valley State, which I did not list since it doesn't count toward our won/loss record.

Like many other teams, Valpo is scheduled to play a "secret scrimmage" game as well, which is why there is only one exhibition scheduled.

valpotx

I get to be the overly-enthusiastic prognosticator here, picking 7-1.  I believe that it will be 6-2 with losses to Missouri and Murray State, but we have had similar teams that beat Murray State, and I went with my heart over brain.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan