• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22- Northern Kentucky Sunday January 29 1:30pm ARC

Started by talksalot, January 27, 2017, 10:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quoterush? What a lame excuse for lack of attendance. Seriously?

I'm not sure people realize how much Valpo Greek Life has grown the last 6-7yrs. Not to mention Valpo just added 2-3 new Greek organizations on campus the last few years. It's very popular and very time consuming.

I was apart of Greek Life myself and loved it. I'm about as die hard of Valpo Men's Basketball Fan as anyone out there and I would choose my fraternity events over a mid-season game conference game. It's a really busy and important time for Greek Life to get to know new members and the whole rush/initiation process for the last couple weeks for those students.

A big chunk of the student section is always Greek Life. Not to mention many of the clubs have their recruiting going on the first month - 2 months coming back from Winter Break.

The one thing I will say is that those students that are sitting in the student section should be embarrassed right now. That is unacceptable. 

wh

They had a free Jimmy Johns give-away. There's still a ton left on a table next to the student bleachers. That drew 39. Maybe a 7-course dinner?

Smj

17:04 left in second and Shane's dunk should be on sports center....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

14 - I respect what you are saying, I was Greek too - but this is a top mid major team playing well and the community needs to make a better commitment to support them. I think 2 hours to go to a game where the school as a whole, not just a frat, is represented takes preference.

VU2014

QuoteHope that VU is looking at creative ways to fill the student section.

The University was notoriously bad at marketing and advertising to student about upcoming games and perks at the game. Not great at communication.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2017, 02:28:10 PM
Quoterush? What a lame excuse for lack of attendance. Seriously?
The one thing I will say is that those students that are sitting in the student section should be embarrassed right now. That is unacceptable.

So the students who did show up are at fault and should be embarrassed? Not the ones who didn't?

If the Greek students are big enough basketball fans, they should schedule their events around games.

I have nothing against Greek orgs and had many friends who joined them. But if it HAS to come down to frats or games, I honestly hope more students start choosing basketball.
#CrusadersForever

usc4valpo

is it me, or is Peters giving snarely looks to the refs?

VU2014

Quote14 - I respect what you are saying, I was Greek too - but this is a top mid major team playing well and the community needs to make a better commitment to support them. I think 2 hours to go to a game where the school as a whole, not just a frat, is represented takes preference.

Agreed. Definitely need to support the team more. I'd be at every game I could be at if I didn't have a previous commitment.

The Student Section wasn't this bad earlier in the year correct? I could be wrong, but its been particular sparse since students left for christmas break. Christmas break is understandable to you low student turn out, imo.

I really think Greek Life commitments are decent amount of this lower attendance. Overall its still head scratching.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 29, 2017, 02:37:28 PM
14 - I respect what you are saying, I was Greek too - but this is a top mid major team playing well and the community needs to make a better commitment to support them. I think 2 hours to go to a game where the school as a whole, not just a frat, is represented takes preference.

This is meant as a serious comment, not emotional rant.  But if we can get 3,500 consistently (with or without students) is a new stadium a top priority?

Observations:  We have had strong success through several 4-year rotations and still lessening student involvement.

Better players need a better stadium, is that our argument (or weight room etc)?  I see it but is that "cart before the horse" for this administration? Is this level of success enough?

Can we justify that type of spend with 60% of ARC capacity?

Clearly this type of attendance hurts our argument?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 29, 2017, 02:50:42 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on January 29, 2017, 02:37:28 PM

This is meant as a serious comment, not emotional rant.  But if we can get 3,500 consistently (with or without students) is a new stadium a top priority?

Observations:  We have had strong success through several 4-year rotations and still lessening student involvement.

Better players need a better stadium, is that our argument (or weight room etc)?  I see it but is that "cart before the horse" for this administration? Is this level of success enough?

Can we justify that type of spend with 60% of ARC capacity?

Clearly this type of attendance hurts our argument?

"If you build it, they will come."

Is that something this administration is expected to go for?

I love this team, and even I think an ARC renovation is the best option.  Combined with an offsite student Rec Center so this remodel can be done right.

The student life needs a rec Center badly.  Maybe Top3 big needs for our campus to remain competitive.  Dorms up there.

VU2014

QuoteSo the students who did show up are at fault and should be embarrassed? Not the ones who didn't?

If the Greek students are big enough basketball fans, they should schedule their events around games.

I have nothing against Greek orgs and had many friends who joined them. But if it HAS to come down to frats or games, I honestly hope more students start choosing basketball.

Students that are there should be standing. The front row at the games are great but student should never be sitting in the student section.

When you make a commitment to an organization like Greek Life, it should always take precedents over a game. Anytime you make a commitment to something you should always be fully committed to that groups events. Regardless if it fraternity, the same applies to clubs, etc.

You are never going to get Greek Life organizations to plan around the Basketball games. The only way that will ever happen is if the Dean of Greek Life, Carrie Whittier makes it a priority and forces that to happen. Not going to happen. All those Greek Organizations see Friday, Saturday, and Sundays as prime days/times for rush events. Makes sense since that when student have no class or have no commitments the next day.

Also something to keep in mind, Greek Organizations have their weekly meetings on Sundays which are mandatory.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2017, 03:00:04 PM
QuoteSo the students who did show up are at fault and should be embarrassed? Not the ones who didn't? If the Greek students are big enough basketball fans, they should schedule their events around games. I have nothing against Greek orgs and had many friends who joined them. But if it HAS to come down to frats or games, I honestly hope more students start choosing basketball.
Students that are there should be standing. The front row at the games are great but student should never be sitting in the student section. When you make a commitment to an organization like Greek Life, it should always take precedents over a game. Anytime you make a commitment to something you should always be fully committed to that groups events. Regardless if it fraternity, the same applies to clubs, etc. You are never going to get Greek Life organizations to plan around the Basketball games. The only way that will ever happen is if the Dean of Greek Life, Carrie Whittier makes it a priority and forces that to happen. Not going to happen. All those Greek Organizations see Friday, Saturday, and Sundays as prime days/times for rush events. Makes sense since that when student have no class or have no commitments the next day. Also something to keep in mind, Greek Organizations have their weekly meetings on Sundays which are mandatory.

It just sounds to me that we're lamenting the lack of student attendance, so you make excuses for the [assumedly Greek] students who aren't there and pointing the finger at the students who did turn out.

The students there right now are the diehards that will come out for every game. I was one of those during my days at VU. We need more students like that. Yes, some are sitting, but if the section was more full, I'd guarantee they'd be standing.

I've said it earlier in the thread, but we didn't have these problems before Christmas break because we didn't have Sunday afternoon home games every week during OOC play. Now, thanks to the HL schedule, we do, and the time must not work for many students.
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

Oh, by the way.  Yay for another win!  NKU is definitely on the rise.   

VU2014

Maybe I was a bit rough on the student there that weren't standing. Agreed they almost surely be standing if it was more full.

I wish the University had more control of the scheduling of it home game days and times.
I've said it earlier in the thread, but we didn't have these problems before Christmas break

I agree. I didn't see the student attendance lacking before Christmas Break.

M

Hats off to the few that showed up. Sit, stand, lay down I don't care...just show up.

Was this the first time all season that the opponent stayed for the post game prayer?  We could use a little more commraderie between foes right now.

FieldGoodie05

Suppose we can smile having won against a solid NKU team where our #1 and #3 scorer struggled most of the game.

It's reassuring knowing we had solid contributions from Jaume, Hammink & Bradford.  Tevonn played solid D and 12 boards...what hustle.  He and Max are really putting together solid effort game in and game out.

Any thoughts on our end of game management?  I'm feeling quite iffy on how we handle 3+ possession leads with 5 minutes to go...we stop ball movement entirely.  SHANE in isolation is not a good look, despite his best dunk of the year!!!!

hailcrusaders

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 29, 2017, 04:12:43 PMSuppose we can smile having won against a solid NKU team where our #1 and #3 scorer struggled most of the game. It's reassuring knowing we had solid contributions from Jaume, Hammink & Bradford.  Tevonn played solid D and 12 boards...what hustle.  He and Max are really putting together solid effort game in and game out. Any thoughts on our end of game management?  I'm feeling quite iffy on how we handle 3+ possession leads with 5 minutes to go...we stop ball movement entirely.  SHANE in isolation is not a good look, despite his best dunk of the year!!!!

I know the term "statistically safe lead" has been thrown around this board somewhat. I don't know how one determines what "statistically safe" is, but I've always thought that the rule of thumb is to multiply the number of minutes left in the game by 3 (5 minutes * 3 = 15 points) and if your lead is less than that product, it's too early to start stalling.

I think my favorite play of the game might have been the Kiser stuff block from the top of the key in the first half, although the Hammink dunk was really something.
#CrusadersForever

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2017, 03:00:04 PM
You are never going to get Greek Life organizations to plan around the Basketball games. The only way that will ever happen is if the Dean of Greek Life, Carrie Whittier makes it a priority and forces that to happen. Not going to happen. All those Greek Organizations see Friday, Saturday, and Sundays as prime days/times for rush events. Makes sense since that when student have no class or have no commitments the next day.

Also something to keep in mind, Greek Organizations have their weekly meetings on Sundays which are mandatory.

There is a phenomenon known as the "silo mentality," which has pervaded higher education and enterprise level business  for decades. It's probably as alive and well at Valpo as anywhere else. It's a difficult culture to change because looking out for self interest is easier and less complicated than interdependent coordination and acquiescing to the needs of others. That said, transitioning away from silos is paramount to maximizing organizational success. It begins with top-down, team-oriented directives replacing silo autonomy while the culture shift is in progress. It's a lot of work and requires a high level of commitment and accountability by leadership at multiple levels. Until that occurs at Valpo, there will always be needless competing interests and time conflicts.

VUBBFan

It's pathetic to have less than forty students at a home game. I counted thirty- eight at the start of the game and a third of them were sitting for the traditional stand for the first bucket. It appears VU only has two Dozen die hard fans that really get into the game. I don't remember this much apathy last year and all the excuses because it's a Sunday, it's a school night, test tomorrow, too cold out, watch on TV or there's something else goin on just doesn't cut it. If the team wasn't playing well or sucked I might see it. The student turn out for a team this good is an embarrassment to the School. Have some School pride!

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on January 29, 2017, 03:31:42 PMI didn't see the student attendance lacking before Christmas Break.
I did! So we have gone from a few showing up to even fewer and and this was against one of our best HL opponents giving us a terrific effort!

I hope no recruits were in attendance because the total lack of students would have made a HUGE impression!  :o ENORMOUS!

agibson

Quote from: M on January 29, 2017, 04:05:25 PMas this the first time all season that the opponent stayed for the post game prayer?  We could use a little more commraderie between foes right now.

Trinity Christian, I think? I imagine some state schools feel constrained. NKU may be bible belt enough to be OK with it.

agibson

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 29, 2017, 04:51:57 PMIt's pathetic to have less than forty students at a home game.

To be clear, students sit places other than the student section. There are often a good number in DD and some in EE.

AA is often mostly students, with probably some in BB.

Athletes sitting with their teams often seem to prefer. I didn't swing over there today, but saw 25% of the VUVB roster leaving the ARC after the game. I've seeen VUMSO, baseball, and football, at least at games in numbers.

Athletes definitely do support each other (and are probably more likely to be sports fans). At sports other than MBB (dinno about football, I've not been in almost 20 years) student athletes are often a significant fraction of the overall crowd.

And, for all we were lacking in numbers behind the basket, it still made a huge difference. The pep band plus those 20 or 30 other students made a huge difference in terms of activating the rest of the crowd to cheer.

FieldGoodie05

Some opportunity for improvement lies with the team itself.  We can't forget how small of a school we are.  Boots on the ground can help...I remember Kikas Gomez being all over campus when we were there.  Playing in volleyball games outside Brant Hall etc. 

Any thoughts on being a bigger part of the student life?  Can coach and his kids move around the dorms introducing themselves.

I open myself up to criticism here, but a community feel has to be mutual in that students are involved with the players and coaches.  Maybe we consider bon fires and more social webbing.

Are the basketball players in their own housing?  All us athletes were in Alumni 2nd and 4th floors...a lot of intermixing.