• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017-18 VU Schedule

Started by justducky, March 07, 2017, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

For what it is worth Oakland has opened a thread for this subject and their OOC is 70% set. They have games at Kansas, at Syracuse, against Michigan St, at Oral Roberts, several MAC contests, and are hosting Texas Southern.

What do we have locked up? We host Indiana St again, go to Ball St and travel to Santa Clara with a probable second game attached (Stanford, or one of many others in that area). What else do we know?
Rumors and speculation are always welcome.

VU2014

I'm pretty sure we're going on another out West long road trip again this year because of the Santa Clara Game here. Stanford would be an interesting potential match-up because Coach Lottich's connection there.

That Santa Clara game could make for an interesting recruiting opportunity for the coaches out in California. When is the last time Valpo recruited a California player? It's not our natural recruiting grounds based on geography its tougher to tap into that region.

Coach Jackie Manuel may be able to reach out to Roy Williams to schedule a game with North Carolina. Coach Manuel played on that 05' National Championship team (bad memories... Grew up an Illini fan...). I'd think UNC would be much more willing to schedule a Valpo next season as opposed to this season because Alec/Shane/Jubril are graduating. Less risk for them because they know Valpo will be young and in a reloading year. Valpo may wait till another additional year to make this happen because we'll already be heading out West. That would be a lot of travel and travel costs for VU. Coach Manuel also was an assistant for UNC Greensboro for four years.

Maybe we FINALLY get to play Scott Drew's Baylor because Bryce has officially left Valpo so maybe Scott throws us a bone and schedules us to give his old team, alumni and friends in the Athletic Department a gift. I could see it happening sometime in the next few years now that Bryce left. He may even give us a 2 Away and 1 at our place. His Dad's name is on the frickin Court. He also knows Alec is gone so less risk on their part.

Coach Joel Zimba is the director of Basketball Operations, and he played at Wisconsin Madison. He play for Greg Gard when he was an assistant at Wisconsin and is now Head Coach. Madison is in the mid-west and would be a low cost/easy travel game for Valpo. Not to beat a dead horse but should be easier to schedule out of conference road games now that Alec/Shane/Jubril are graduating and in a reloading year.

Coach Chad Warner is the recruiting coordinator may have some connections. He graduated/grad-assistant from University of Georgia. He was a walk-on. He also was assistant coach at William & Mary for a few years.

Coach David Ragland coached a Indiana State (their are already scheduled) and coached at Bowling Green for a year.

Valpo89

Baylor visited the ARC in the early-mid 90s, as part of a deal when Valpo traveled to Waco for something they called the Dr. Pepper Classic which I believe was 1993. So it's not unprecedented for Baylor to visit Valpo, although that's a lifetime ago for many on this board.
Valpo has played North Carolina a few times in the last 10-15 years, and has played Wisconsin maybe twice in 20 years.
I wouldn't want to load up on too many heavyweights next season. I'd rather stay in the MAC-type realm, playing Western Michigan or Toledo or Bowling Green or Akron. Wouldn't mind games again vs. IUPUI or Oral Roberts. That's probably a better matchup for next year's team.

VU2014

QuoteI wouldn't want to load up on too many heavyweights next season. I'd rather stay in the MAC-type realm, playing Western Michigan or Toledo or Bowling Green or Akron. Wouldn't mind games again vs. IUPUI or Oral Roberts. That's probably a better matchup for next year's team.

Agreed with not to load up on heavyweights next season. I think we can all say Valpo understandably won't be favorites to win the conference next season. I'd say we still should be a pretty good Mid-Major but there are too many unknowns next season and we're losing AP/Shane. Joe and Bakari are hopefully good but you never know and all are PF's will likely be Freshman.

I'd still load up on heavy weights if we could get a 2-3-4 game deal though (one game a yr). I wouldn't mind scheduling the western Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green, Akron, IUPUI or Oral Roberts of the world. Apparently we use to have a rivalry with Oral Roberts back in the day (before my time).

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 07, 2017, 03:44:40 PMAgreed with not to load up on heavyweights next season. I think we can all say Valpo understandably won't be favorites to win the conference next season. I'd say we still should be a pretty good Mid-Major but there are too many unknowns next season and we're losing AP/Shane. Joe and Bakari are hopefully good but you never know and all are PF's will likely be Freshman.

I'd still load up on heavy weights if we could get a 2-3-4 game deal though (one game a yr). I would mind scheduling the western Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green, Akron, IUPUI or Oral Roberts of the world. Apparently we use to have a rivalry with Oral Roberts back in the day (before my time).
My early take on next year could put us anywhere in the 90 to 175 RPI range and our playing style might change as much as our top personnel. With these uncertainties most of the old Big Ten might actually try to work us in (on their terms).

Seems like the MAC scheduling guidelines have limited our recent opportunities with them but a modest (beatable) VU squad might be right up their alley?

Does Texas Southern have a second game connected with their trip to Oakland?

I would expect Baylor to happen but when is another question. Same for Vandy. When do we want to cash in these chips?

Bradley, Northern Iowa, Illinois St?

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on March 07, 2017, 02:34:24 PM
I'm pretty sure we're going on another out West long road trip again this year because of the Santa Clara Game here. Stanford would be an interesting potential match-up because Coach Lottich's connection there.

That Santa Clara game could make for an interesting recruiting opportunity for the coaches out in California. When is the last time Valpo recruited a California player? It's not our natural recruiting grounds based on geography its tougher to tap into that region.

Coach Jackie Manuel may be able to reach out to Roy Williams to schedule a game with North Carolina. Coach Manuel played on that 05' National Championship team (bad memories... Grew up an Illini fan...). I'd think UNC would be much more willing to schedule a Valpo next season as opposed to this season because Alec/Shane/Jubril are graduating. Less risk for them because they know Valpo will be young and in a reloading year. Valpo may wait till another additional year to make this happen because we'll already be heading out West. That would be a lot of travel and travel costs for VU. Coach Manuel also was an assistant for UNC Greensboro for four years.

Maybe we FINALLY get to play Scott Drew's Baylor because Bryce has officially left Valpo so maybe Scott throws us a bone and schedules us to give his old team, alumni and friends in the Athletic Department a gift. I could see it happening sometime in the next few years now that Bryce left. He may even give us a 2 Away and 1 at our place. His Dad's name is on the frickin Court. He also knows Alec is gone so less risk on their part.

Coach Joel Zimba is the director of Basketball Operations, and he played at Wisconsin Madison. He play for Greg Gard when he was an assistant at Wisconsin and is now Head Coach. Madison is in the mid-west and would be a low cost/easy travel game for Valpo. Not to beat a dead horse but should be easier to schedule out of conference road games now that Alec/Shane/Jubril are graduating and in a reloading year.

Coach Chad Warner is the recruiting coordinator may have some connections. He graduated/grad-assistant from University of Georgia. He was a walk-on. He also was assistant coach at William & Mary for a few years.

Coach David Ragland coached a Indiana State (their are already scheduled) and coached at Bowling Green for a year.

De'Andre Haskins (2008-2009) and Jordan Coleman(2013-2014) were both from California.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

QuoteI would expect Baylor to happen but when is another question. Same for Vandy. When do we want to cash in these chips?

Bradley, Northern Iowa, Illinois St?

I don't think Bryce will schedule us for a while. Just something tells me he doesn't want to have to deal with the blow back of his old possibly beating him from Vandy fans. (not sure there will be much blow back but it would be a PR hit to say you lost to your smaller former employer) It may happen but may be a few more years.

QuoteBradley, Northern Iowa, Illinois St?

Something to keep in mind is that we recruit a lot of the same players so its really tough to swallow a loss to these schools. Thats one reason I'm guessing its tough to schedule them.

VU2014

QuoteDe'Andre Haskins (2008-2009) and Jordan Coleman(2013-2014) were both from California.

Thats true. Forgot about Jordan Coleman but he was a transfer and was not directly recruited from High School.

To be honest I was not aware of De'Andre Haskins (before I was a freshman at VU). Did a quick google search on he was here during 08'-09' season. He only played one season of College Basketball? Anyone know what happened? Still 1 recruit in 10 yrs. Could be a recruiting opportunity.

Looks like there was a Hoosier connection with De'Andre. His High school coach was: "legendary Hoosier Delray Brooks at La Lumiere ... Brooks was Indiana's Mr. Basketball in 1984 and played collegiately at IU under Bobby Knight." I feel like knew everyone in College Basketball, especially in Indiana so maybe he made an Indiana connection in the recruiting.

cornonthe

Quote from: VU2014 on March 07, 2017, 04:56:12 PM
QuoteDe'Andre Haskins (2008-2009) and Jordan Coleman(2013-2014) were both from California.

Thats true. Forgot about Jordan Coleman but he was a transfer and was not directly recruited from High School.

To be honest I was not aware of De'Andre Haskins (before I was a freshman at VU). Did a quick google search on he was here during 08'-09' season. He only played one season of College Basketball? Anyone know what happened? Still 1 recruit in 10 yrs. Could be a recruiting opportunity.

Looks like there was a Hoosier connection with De'Andre. His High school coach was: "legendary Hoosier Delray Brooks at La Lumiere ... Brooks was Indiana's Mr. Basketball in 1984 and played collegiately at IU under Bobby Knight." I feel like knew everyone in College Basketball, especially in Indiana so maybe he made an Indiana connection in the recruiting.

Yeah, he was a Cali kid, but we recruited him at La Lumiere...he left because he was homesick...transferred to one of the WCC or WAC schools, don't remember which school though...

oklahomamick

Sounds like we should take a pay game.  That way we can afford to go to motor city madness a day early and have a shoot around on the court.   :o
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: cornonthe on March 07, 2017, 08:04:55 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 07, 2017, 04:56:12 PM

Yeah, he was a Cali kid, but we recruited him at La Lumiere...he left because he was homesick...transferred to one of the WCC or WAC schools, don't remember which school though...

Nice article about DeAndre from 2014:

http://goswords.com/sports/2014/7/14/MBB_0714145646.aspx

usc4valpo

there are many Valpo alums in the LA area, a trip to Pauley or dunk city would be cool

valporun

De'Andre ended up transferring to D-II Maui Invitational school host Chaminade.

Also, why are so many of you wanting to buck some money for shooting time at MCM at JLA, when there won't be a roof on JLA next year? (Remember, the Joe is being demolished after the Red Wings final hockey game of 2017.)

If Saint Mary's wasn't such a dominant WCC team currently, I'd love to have Santa Clara and Saint Mary's on a West Coast trip, as those games would help the RPI, if the Gaels are ranked at the time.

talksalot

Let me rethrow Vermont for our Montreal guys.  IF the mastodons are a team, put FW on the list

oklahomamick

Quote from: talksalot on March 09, 2017, 05:47:05 PMLet me rethrow Vermont for our Montreal guys.  IF the mastodons are a team, put FW on the list

Certainly don't want the Ft. Wayne Newspaper to call us out for dodging them.....
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

QuoteCertainly don't want the Ft. Wayne Newspaper to call us out for dodging them.....

We'll definitely be playing IPFW sometime in the next 4 years. My guess sometime during Parker's JR or SR season (maybe both) we be play at their place for Parker. Maybe JR season at our place and SR season in Fort Wayne.

I'm also hoping sometime in the next 3 seasons we get to play Arkansas because Parker's brother Brachen plays there. Valpo is close to home for Brachen so it would be a cool match up.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on March 09, 2017, 08:55:05 PM
QuoteCertainly don't want the Ft. Wayne Newspaper to call us out for dodging them.....
We'll definitely be playing IPFW sometime in the next 4 years. My guess sometime during Parker's JR or SR season (maybe both) we be play at their place for Parker. Maybe JR season at our place and SR season in Fort Wayne. I'm also hoping sometime in the next 3 seasons we get to play Arkansas because Parker's brother Brachen plays there. Valpo is close to home for Brachen so it would be a cool match up.

Could be that Arkansas comes to Valpo......You know like Georgia went to Oakland and Santa Clara went to Valpo.  The ol Reunion tour for one of your Sr.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Not sure if anyone saw this last night but Paul said that in Bryce's buyout clause when Vandy hired Bryce Away from Valpo that Vandy is forced to play Valpo or Pay Valpo $$$ sometime in the next 5 years possibly.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/841845854772330496

Also a pretty telling stat from the MVC and I'm sure its worse for the Horizon League.

https://twitter.com/GoazenDONS/status/841410084177555456

M

I thought the Vandy thing was hush hush...apparently not!  I'm glad it is out in the open  :thumbsup:

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 15, 2017, 08:54:48 AMAlso a pretty telling stat from the MVC and I'm sure its worse for the Horizon League.

Mid majors have little bargaining power at the conference level and almost none individually. I was recently criticized for suggesting this same approach. BUT!!!!

WE ARE THE MAJORITY! WE HAVE TO UNITE. Its time to get mad and I mean REALLY MAD and start making things happen.

There is a prevalence of the boot-licking, yes sir boss, mentality on this board. For those of you with that mindset I ask that you just get out of the way.

VU2014

QuoteMid majors have little bargaining power at the conference level and almost none individually. I was recently criticized for suggesting this same approach. BUT!!!!

WE ARE THE MAJORITY! WE HAVE TO UNITE. Its time to get mad and I mean REALLY MAD and start making things happen.

There is a prevalence of the boot-licking, yes sir boss, mentality on this board. For those of you with that mindset I ask that you just get out of the way.

It sucks but I'm not sure what standing together will do. P5-6 Conference would just end up playing each other for out of conference games and the NCAA would be totally content.

The only time the NCAA ever likes the "little guy" is for the 'David vs Goliath' Tourney games for ratings purposes to help boost the bottom line. The NCAA has proven zero interest in helping or any bit leveling the playing field.

It's actually pretty scary how much many of the mid-majors schools are hemorrhaging $ and running into the RED with their Athletic Department Budgets. Athletics programs are not paying for themselves and there is increased pressure on the Men's Basketball/Football team to earn to subsidize every other sport that is on the scholarship level. When budgets are not met that falls on the backs of Students (and their parents) which are already hemorrhaging with Student debt.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 15, 2017, 12:11:26 PM
QuoteMid majors have little bargaining power at the conference level and almost none individually. I was recently criticized for suggesting this same approach. BUT!!!!

It sucks but I'm not sure what standing together will do. P5-6 Conference would just end up playing each other for out of conference games and the NCAA would be totally content.

The only time the NCAA ever likes the "little guy" is for the 'David vs Goliath' Tourney games for ratings purposes to help boost the bottom line. The NCAA has proven zero interest in helping or any bit leveling the playing field.

It's actually pretty scary how much many of the mid-majors schools are hemorrhaging $ and running into the RED with their Athletic Department Budgets. Athletics programs are not paying for themselves and there is increased pressure on the Men's Basketball/Football team to earn to subsidize every other sport that is on the scholarship level. When budgets are not met that falls on the backs of Students (and their parents) which are already hemorrhaging with Student debt.

Source of money is bottom line.  It's absurd to say otherwise.  Pissing and moaning is all we have, and that's not being a defeatist.  I value my time enough to recognize where my limited financial and mental resources are harnessed.

Even if you added up all Mid majors, how many paying fans is that to P6 royalty? 

valpo84

Maybe we should go the Illinois State route and beg and plead on Twitter. At least they got a game against Ole Miss. Then again Ole Miss probably doesn't want to play us....

Look, the P5 has its own issues.  They have to appease alums and fill their 15000 seat arenas for 10-12 non conf games.  They're not going to schedule losses potential losses for home games.  Frankly, at least Syracuse who has historically had one of the biggest home cupcake schedules was punished for it this year.  Maybe they'll schedule at UNCG next year.  The top mid majors need to schedule home and homes in the same year.  We did this with Belmont (may have been with the HL Soccer deal).  and we should propose to Illinois State and St Marys and others who have historically good RPIs. Remember RPI is built by records of opponents not necessarily your record.  That's how the big boys have good RPIs.  Feast on cupcakes and twinkles, be 12-1 going into conference play with your brethren's 12-1 records and then go .500 in league play gets you an at large from power conferences.  10-3 with lots of other 10-3s and then go 14-4 or better in conference with your fellow mid-major conference friends suddenly makes you have a schedule with a few other 24-7 teams but your RPI is better.  Remember our RPI wasn't bad this year with wins over NCAA Rhode Island, NIT BYU and Bama.  By the way that little Vegas tourney saw VU, BYU and Bama all make NIT.  It obviously helped all of them with an NIT worthy going on NCAA worthy resume.  Oregon was also a good schedule even with the loss. UK too.  You need the right balance though and you need to be competitive in the P5 games. 

Forgot link

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03/13/illinois-state-ole-miss-basketball-game-twitter
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: VU2014 on March 15, 2017, 08:54:48 AMAlso a pretty telling stat from the MVC and I'm sure its worse for the Horizon League.

https://twitter.com/GoazenDONS/status/841410084177555456                  

The way I'm reading this stat is that each MVC school is successful in scheduling a home game with a P5/P6 conference foe in 3 out of every 5 years.  Seems pretty good compared to the HL teams.  Valpo in last five years has only had one P6 team play at the ARC - Florida State last year in the NIT.  We really didn't schedule that game. 

vusupporter

I'm pretty sure that reads that the league teams collectively have averaged .6 home games per year against P6 teams. AKA, MVC teams as a whole host 3 P6 teams every 5 years.