• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lexus Williams Transferring

Started by VU2014, March 22, 2017, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Really bummed to see Lexus go. The guy was warrior fighting back from injuries & as Paul said he was a very vocal/emotional leader on the team.

He's a great guy too. He will definitely be missed.

Totally understand him deciding to transfer and trying to get playing time his final year of eligibility. Wish him luck!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 22, 2017, 04:51:35 PM
Really bummed to see Lexus go. The guy was warrior fighting back from injuries & as Paul said he was a very vocal/emotional leader on the team.

He's a great guy too. He will definitely be missed.

Totally understand him deciding to transfer and trying to get playing time his final year of eligibility. Wish him luck!

Good move for him as a graduate transfer.  Stinks to lose his production, but Bakari projects to be our starter right?  Lexus started losing time to Bradford so would that have trended into 2017/18?  I think so...

FieldGoodie05

Paul says (2) scholarships available with Lexus transferring.  Has it been made official that Kiser is on scholarship?

Pgmado

Kiser not official...but it sure seems like writing is on the wall.

M

Not surprising seeing as how all the other guys he came in with are now gone and his PT will be real slim.  Best of luck to him.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Pgmado on March 22, 2017, 05:07:55 PM
Kiser not official...but it sure seems like writing is on the wall.

Very cool, he appears to be a glue guy and practices extremely hard.

FieldGoodie05

Paul, do you have the ability to notify Verbal Commits that Markus Golder is no longer "medium" but "signed" with VU?  Or is that done by an algorithm they have and it doesn't include JUCO?

Just curious.

IndyValpo

While I hate to see him leave hopefully he will find a good opportunity for extended pt somewhere else. He seems like a good dude who represented Valpo in a class manner.

VUBBFan

Spoke with him just in passing but seemed to be a very upbeat positive kid and a good representative of the team and
University. Will miss smooveLex and his hard passionate play. It's probably best for him but a shame to lose such a class act.

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 22, 2017, 05:42:03 PMPaul, do you have the ability to notify Verbal Commits that Markus Golder is no longer "medium" but "signed" with VU?  Or is that done by an algorithm they have and it doesn't include JUCO? Just curious.
You must have woke someone up. Golder is now listed as committed and Lexus as transferred.

VU2014

QuotePaul, do you have the ability to notify Verbal Commits that Markus Golder is no longer "medium" but "signed" with VU?  Or is that done by an algorithm they have and it doesn't include JUCO?

Just curious.

Markus hasn't officially signed his letter of intent yet. There are 2 sign periods for NCAA D1 basketball. November 9, 2016 - November 16, 2016. Then there is a later signing period after the Tourney: April 12, 2017. Players are not allowed to sign till the 12th. I wouldn't be too worried about it. He's pretty firmly committed to Valpo.

We will be seeing a bunch of transfers between now and the summer. And most of the remaining HS players will be committing between now and April. Bakari transferred to Valpo in May and Joe Burton didn't transfer to Valpo till right before Fall semester in August. Transfers will generally wait and see how things shake out till after the signing period to see where is the best spots for them to fit and who has scholarships. Sometimes patients is a virtue and pays off.

Valpo89

While I like Lexus and believe he's been a solid person and contributor, I think it might give us a good idea that the transfers must be pretty good.

VUfan

He will be missed his hard work set a standard , wish him well.   

oklahomamick

Lexus had a great freshman year.  He also played well at the beginning of this year.

Lexus part of Drew's first freshman class.  Arguably the best class we have had?
CRUSADERS!!!

VUOR63

The sense I got watching Lexus Williams play for VU was that he thoroughly enjoys playing the game of basketball.  Good for him on getting his degree and I hope some opportunities open up for him in the near future.

humbleopinion

I have two responses:

1) I was looking forward to Lexus finally being back to his old form next year.  I've always liked his attitude both on the court and from what I know of him in the classroom as well.  He seemed to be really smart athlete who models the behavior we would like to expect.

2) If Lexus had decided to move on, he must feel that we will have some good depth at the point.  I'm excited to see what Bakari brings to the floor.

Beamin' Beacons

vu72

This is what I feared would happen to Micah but instead it was Lexus.  With Lexus, Micah and Max all fighting for backup minutes, it was clear that one would transfer.  Sorry to see him go.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

[tweet]844965295315935232[/tweet]

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2017, 12:09:10 PM
This is what I feared would happen to Micah but instead it was Lexus.  With Lexus, Micah and Max all fighting for backup minutes, it was clear that one would transfer.  Sorry to see him go.

Quite a few of us feared the very same. 

If given the option between a young athletic, speedy pg for 4-years OR a solid leader and 7/10 pg with one year left I'd have to take the 4-year player that is Micah.  Even if Lexus stays, we are rebuilding next year.

EddieCabot

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 23, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
If given the option between a young athletic, speedy pg for 4-years OR a solid leader and 7/10 pg with one year left I'd have to take the 4-year player that is Micah.  Even if Lexus stays, we are rebuilding next year.

After listening to the latest Union Street Hoops podcast, I think next year will be a reload, not a rebuild.  Tevonn will be great and it sounds like newcomers Bacari, Joe and Markus are studs.  Also look for J, Derrik and Micah to make the big freshmen-to-sophomore jump.

SanityLost17

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 23, 2017, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 23, 2017, 02:46:16 PM

After listening to the latest Union Street Hoops podcast, I think next year will be a reload, not a rebuild.  Tevonn will be great and it sounds like newcomers Bacari, Joe and Markus are studs.  Also look for J, Derrik and Micah to make the big freshmen-to-sophomore jump.

I do think next year will be a mix of rebuild/reload.   However, with Oakland, NKU, and UIC returning basically everyone and getting some studs back, a reload still might get us 4th place. 

Next year could be a pretty good year for the HL.  First time in quite a while where we can say that.  The winner of the HL tournament might get back to the 11 and 12 line.  Oakland/UIC/Valpo/NKU must have good non-con seasons.   Obviously Valpo is going to take a step back.  We will not be good enough right away to win games against the likes of Alabama/BYU/RI.  However, NKU and Oakland will be.  They need tough schedules and they need to win a few games.   Valpo will need to do better than our counterparts in the HL have done the last few years and at least win all of the games we are supposed to win.  This league did us no favors over the last 2 years.  We must do better and perform well so that the winner of the HL gets a good seed and a chance at a NCAA victory.     

M

Wasn't there high expectations for the 2015-2016 season? 

vu72

Quote from: M on March 24, 2017, 10:03:07 AM

Sure was.  I think 30 wins and a trip to Madison Square Garden for the NIT title game met those expectations.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

QuoteI do think next year will be a mix of rebuild/reload.   However, with Oakland, NKU, and UIC returning basically everyone and getting some studs back, a reload still might get us 4th place

I think if things go right for us we we can be a 2-3rd place team. If Joe and Bakari are as talented as some people think they are then we could contend for a top 3 seed. I think 4th place is reasonable. Lots of new faces as key contributors next season, so it may take sometime to find their chemistry going.

QuoteQuote from: M on Today at 10:03:07 AM

Sure was.  I think 30 wins and a trip to Madison Square Garden for the NIT title game met those expectations.

Not sure  2015-2016 season expectations were met. That team could have done damage in the Big Dance. It was a nice NIT run but sites were set higher and could have been finished better the NCAA Selection Committee could get its head out of it's @$$ and start being fair to MidMajors like Valpo last year, Monmouth the year before and Illinois State this year. They need to reformulate how they chose teams and factor in that P5's won't play good Mids at home.