• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 14, 2017, 02:38:18 PM
May not be seeing Derek's dad at too many games this season. According to an article in the Indianapolis Star, the Smits home is for sale in Zionsville. Yours for only $2.7 million.
http://www.century21scheetz.com/Property/IN/46077/Zionsville/8346_E_550_S

Other than zvillehaze, Indyvalpo and myself has anyone else on here been to downtown Zionsville? $2.7 million seems cheap for a mansion in Zionsville. Are they moving back to Holland when Derrik graduates?

Valpo89

I was thinking the same thing TD. $2.7 for that house seems like a deal.
The Indy Star article said Rik is moving to Arizona with his girlfriend. He doesn't like all the rain we get in Indiana.

VU2014

Jay Sorolla is playing Slovenia in the FIBA U20 Tournament. Spain won 91-59

Didn't have a great game. Didn't have a bad game. Started the game, didn't start the 2nd half. The mid-range jumper didn't look great but played solid Defense. It was messy as can be game. Sorolla was probably the best passer on the team.

Minutes Play: 19:28
Pts: 3
FG: 1/5
REB: 5
AST: 2
TO: 0
BLK: 0

Jay played:
9:30 - 16:00
29:00 - 38:20
1:11:09 - 1:31:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vReCxRmoj8k

Spain beat Italy 83-72
Minutes Play: 15:46
Pts: 0
FG: 0/1
REB: 1
AST: 0
TO: 3
BLK: 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIwVrUm9ZAE

Spain takes on Serbia today at 1:15 CT if you want to stream it live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcuGzKAE72A

zvillehaze

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 14, 2017, 02:38:18 PM
May not be seeing Derek's dad at too many games this season. According to an article in the Indianapolis Star, the Smits home is for sale in Zionsville. Yours for only $2.7 million.
http://www.century21scheetz.com/Property/IN/46077/Zionsville/8346_E_550_S

Rik moved prior to last season.  Derrik's cousin, who lives with Rik, played HS basketball in Arizona last year.

http://www.govandals.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4356

bigmosmithfan1

Given the beating that Rik's body took during his playing days (back when NBA defenders were allowed to use WWE-style moves, basically) and the number of injuries he battled throughout his long career, I can't imagine that Midwest winters are the best thing for living a pain-free lifestyle.

VU2014

Looks like they had the Missouri Valley Conference Orientation this morning or yesterday.

https://twitter.com/MVCsports/status/887318628533764096

VU2014

VULB#62

Here is Paul's coverage.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valley-commissioner-holds-orientation-for-valparaiso-coaches-and-administrators/article_eb1fbb2c-cb55-5059-aaaa-625ec520b606.html

This is a quote in the very last paragraph from MLB that I find quite interesting:

"We have also started the planning to put a facility up next to (the Athletics-Recreation Center), phase one of a (recreational) facility that would then get activity out of (the ARC) and would make it more of a dedicated intercollegiate athletic facility as opposed to a combined space," LaBarbera said. "Those are the plans that we have talked about."

That type of facility doesn't appear on the 30-year Plan illustrations --- unless it is an addition to the north side extending toward Brown Field that does appear on the illustrations.

vu72

"Getting activity out of the ARC" is no small task.  Think of all the intramural volleyball, basketball and who knows what else takes place there now.  I would think the "next to" is maybe a stretch as I would think he is referring to the new Rec Center.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

"We've also started the planning...."

That means at least 5-7 years until we see a shovel.

crusadermoe

I think LaBarbera may like Valpo enough to stay.  But he will be attracting offers from bigger higher-paying schools after his successes in moving up twice.

But the two big caveats are his fund-raising and the facilities not achieved. One can argue well that those were outside his control.  My guess is he might be targeted for an operational AVP type of position at a big budget power five where a big name does the fund-raising and delegates operational goals.

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 19, 2017, 12:34:49 PM
I think LaBarbera may like Valpo enough to stay.  But he will be attracting offers from bigger higher-paying schools after his successes in moving up twice.

But the two big caveats are his fund-raising and the facilities not achieved. One can argue well that those were outside his control.  My guess is he might be targeted for an operational AVP type of position at a big budget power five where a big name does the fund-raising and delegates operational goals.

If LaBarbera stays and if the program continues to trend upwards (tourney wins) in this transition and he's able to figure out a way to successfully renovate the ARC (I have no doubt he could but the greater challenge is finding the donors & getting support/backing from the President/Board) then he honestly deserves the Arena named after him or another building named after him. He's already done a tremendous job. I hope he never leaves us. Mark has also done a tremendous job rebuilding the football program. VU Football under Coach Cecchini is no longer a punch line and the Football Alumni have been really instrumental in this turnaround. The record may not show it yet but you can tell the program has come a long way. Side Note: Does anyone think Valpo Football will ever go Division I FCS in the MVC? I don't see it happening anytime soon, but just curious what others think. The Football budget would need to go through the roof and I don't want anything to take away from Valpo Basketball. No matter what Basketball will always be the most important Valpo Sport.

Valpo89

Come on 2014. Football is never going above any level deemed necessary to stay D-1 in basketball and all the other sports. It's right where they want it.

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 19, 2017, 01:14:30 PM
Come on 2014. Football is never going above any level deemed necessary to stay D-1 in basketball and all the other sports. It's right where they want it.

Good point. Personally I think it's ridiculous that the NCAA makes you Schools have a football team to remain D1. Football for many schools is just a money pit and they never get their return on investment. I'd be lying if I said I never thought about going FCS and then a future MAC level FBS invite. I know its not financially realistic for a private school our size and we'd need to come a very long way from where we are now to consider going FCS.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on July 19, 2017, 02:25:40 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on July 19, 2017, 01:14:30 PM

Good point. Personally I think it's ridiculous that the NCAA makes you Schools have a football team to remain D1. Football for many schools is just a money pit and they never get their return on investment. I'd be lying if I said I never thought about going FCS and then a future MAC level FBS invite. I know its not financially realistic for a private school our size and we'd need to come a very long way from where we are now to consider going FCS.

The NCAA does not require a school to have a football team to remain D1.  Think schools like Bradley as an example.  No football of any kind and yet D1.  What they do say is of you want to play football and want to be D1 you have to play football at D1 which includes non-scholarship D1.  The distinction really revolved around D1 basketball where if you want to play D1 basketball then all sports must be D1.  Schools like Johns Hopkins and Minnesota Duluth play D1 in sports like Hockey and LaCrosse and can do so without bringing others sports to that level unless they want to play basketball at D1.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2624

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 19, 2017, 10:19:00 AMHere is Paul's coverage. http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valley-commissioner-holds-orientation-for-valparaiso-coaches-and-administrators/article_eb1fbb2c-cb55-5059-aaaa-625ec520b606.html This is a quote in the very last paragraph from MLB that I find quite interesting: "We have also started the planning to put a facility up next to (the Athletics-Recreation Center), phase one of a (recreational) facility that would then get activity out of (the ARC) and would make it more of a dedicated intercollegiate athletic facility as opposed to a combined space," LaBarbera said. "Those are the plans that we have talked about." That type of facility doesn't appear on the 30-year Plan illustrations --- unless it is an addition to the north side extending toward Brown Field that does appear on the illustrations.

He has to be referring to the long planned rec center which isn't next to the ARC but near enough I guess.

jsher3141

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 19, 2017, 10:19:00 AM
Here is Paul's coverage.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valley-commissioner-holds-orientation-for-valparaiso-coaches-and-administrators/article_eb1fbb2c-cb55-5059-aaaa-625ec520b606.html

This is a quote in the very last paragraph from MLB that I find quite interesting:

"We have also started the planning to put a facility up next to (the Athletics-Recreation Center), phase one of a (recreational) facility that would then get activity out of (the ARC) and would make it more of a dedicated intercollegiate athletic facility as opposed to a combined space," LaBarbera said. "Those are the plans that we have talked about."

That type of facility doesn't appear on the 30-year Plan illustrations --- unless it is an addition to the north side extending toward Brown Field that does appear on the illustrations.

I would also assume he is referring to the planned rec center that is supposed to go in on the old hospital property.  If I recall correctly, I believe he stated that he has plans for the building ready to go sitting in his office during his Union Street Hoops interview...

I could see them wanting to get all the extra activities out of the ARC as priority #1, then move on to doing substantial upgrades to the ARC. Makes it alot easier to do construction if you have somewhere else to put everyone... Sounds like we're on the right path. Just waiting on that $$$.

talksalot

I spent about an hour in the ARC this afternoon watching the 9-to-14-year-olds at the basketball camp; with all of our managers and players helping the players.   Most important thing learned today:  Bakari's last name is pronounced: EEvelyn.  They all looked like they were having fun.  OH, the only officially scheduled home game on the calendar is 4-months from today...

VU2014

Markus flying high with a break away dunk in scrimmage the other day.
https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3/status/891748634588590080

VUGrad1314

The more I watch of Golder or hear about him the more excited I get to see him take the court this fall. I think he's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

VU2014

Looks like Ryan Fazekas may be dealing with a arm injury of some sort right now. Picture from his instagram shows his left arm in a sling. Never good to see guys injured but on the bright side this will be his red-shirt year. Still you'd like him to build as much chemistry as possible on the court and you'd like him to be out there in those summer scrimmages. Just hope he gets healthy quick and has a full recovery.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV5hIPzlbKn/?taken-by=ryan_fazekas