• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Per Mark Adams: Valpo likely to replace Wichita St as 10th (only new) MVC member

Started by VU2014, May 02, 2017, 10:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2624

Quote from: Valpo49 on May 03, 2017, 11:55:18 AMSo Mark Adams is standing by a tweet which may or may not be true.  It's almost like his tweet was of absolutely no value.  Thanks for nothing there Mark.

What would you like him to do?

VU2014

Quote from: VU2624 on May 03, 2017, 01:39:13 PM
Quote from: Valpo49 on May 03, 2017, 11:55:18 AMSo Mark Adams is standing by a tweet which may or may not be true.  It's almost like his tweet was of absolutely no value.  Thanks for nothing there Mark.

What would you like him to do?

He said it wasn't just one source. I'm not sure what the fuss is about him reporting what he heard. It's completely unreasonable for him to give up his sources like some MVC fans are calling for on Twitter. He even said it was a fluid situation, but said Valpo looks like the leader.

I think most fans are annoyed that he said 10. Most everyone seems to want at least 11 being Valpo and Murray State.

elephtheria47

Everything has been deathly quiet. Mark may be tuned in, but why would a source or two or however many start speaking all of a sudden?

Valpo has been quiet. UWM for the most part was quiet. Murray State up until the last two days or so has been quiet besides their public board meeting. And MVC officials have said nothing all along.

Could the source be speculating? Could it be a planned/controlled leak?

Whatever it is, Something weird is going on, especially with Murray State AD turning public and going after "false reports "

justducky

Quote from: wh on May 03, 2017, 11:31:03 AMI completely agree.  Four years ago the MVC "brain-trust" pulled one of the biggest blunders in NCAA history when they replaced 1 of the most dominant mid-major programs in the nation with another mid-major conference's 2nd worst program.  Now they want to replace their 1 remaining mid-major power with just Valpo, or just Murray State?  These people are hapless fools. Both Valpo and Murray State should tell the MVC to GFY, and sit back and watch them implode after they add the Horizon League's current dumpster fire - Milwaukee. That would be another addition by subtraction for the HL, and the end of the MVC as we know it.   
Couldn't have stated it any better except I hate using abbreviations.  :)

valpopal

Mark Adams' tweets based on sources could be true even if they appear uncertain or contradictory. Perhaps the MVC will add Valpo as the 10th team for the upcoming season, but move to 11 or 12 teams in the following year. It would be easy to schedule one team for 2017-2018 by just subbing Valpo for Wichita State. However, because of Murray State football and the difficulties of scheduling more teams—especially a divisional schedule if going to 12 teams and working out the MVC vs MWC challenge—planning and negotiations would require waiting until 2018-2019 entry for the additional schools. This scenario would fit with Adams' messages.

UNIFTW

Not that I want to plug my twitter, but those of you who know it go check my rant on Mark Adams today.

All I'll say here is what he did was completely irresponsible and nothing but damaging.

justducky

Quote from: IrishDawg on May 03, 2017, 12:32:48 PMEspecially when considering how hard it is for mid-major schools to get good home games against major programs, this doesn't bode well for any league outside of the top 7-8.  While past performance doesn't always predict future success, it is difficult to foresee a scenario in which the MVC adding any or all of these schools significantly and consistently improves their chances of getting 2-3 teams in the tourney each and every year.  Doesn't mean it can't happen, just that on a yearly basis the league would be more likely to have one bid than multiple based on each school's history.
Many of us are now sold on the 12 team floating super division scheduling concept which would magnify SOS and RPI. With the haves (like your Butler buddies) unwilling to play us, the old status quo approach is about to be trashed. If Doug Elgin and the MVC are not smart enough to recognize the need for this major overhaul then why should we want to join?

MID- MAJORS UNITE  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

bbtds

wh

Quote from: bbtds on May 03, 2017, 03:11:04 PM
Quote from: wh on May 03, 2017, 11:31:03 AMGFY,

Go for Youngstown?

Not the words I was thinking of, but they do fit all the MVC's criteria:

• Terrible basketball program
• Nice venue - looks like new on TV - most seats have never been used
• Only 65 miles from Pittsburgh - whole new media market and recruiting area
• Added bonus - New coach with high expectations

They fit like a glove.  :thumbsup:

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on May 03, 2017, 12:08:03 PM
Quote from: FWalum on May 03, 2017, 10:32:41 AMIf this is really what is happening then to me the move to the MVC becomes much less inviting.  My main reason for wanting the move is to get into a conference that has the potential to be a multi-bid league, is proactive in achieving that goal and building a strong mid-major conference.  If the invite is to only one school then the presidents and commissioner are only reacting to the WSU loss and not thinking big picture.  In other words, this is just a rehash of what we currently have. There are other reasons this move makes sense, more traditional rivalries, like-minded private schools, a slightly higher profile conference and a better tournament atmosphere.  I am not sure that the additional expense of moving to a weakened MVC would outweigh some of the issues discussed earlier by Paul Oren.

What if they plan to add Murray State or another school for the 18-19 season?

I am not saying that if we are the only invite we should pass, it just deserves a lot more thought.  IMHO a 10 team MVC just causes a ton of uncertainty.  WSU's move is causing a ripple effect and every mid major conference should be on guard.  I don't think it is written in stone that Murray or anybody else will be available next year.  It seems all of the conferences are just as chicken as the HL and MVC when it comes to this stuff, but maybe someone will grow some balls and try to do something exciting like a HL OVC merger.  Who knows at this point, I sure don't.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

UNIFTW

The MVC needs to be aggressive here. It needs to "kill" the Horizon and Summit. Start strangling the life out of other MM conferences that might want to start looking at teams to add. Make it so that the MVC is CLEARLY a head of any of the MMs conferences. Be the best by simply killing off everyone else. Want to do that? Grab Valpo (and sadly UWM) from the Horizon and Murray State from the OVC. The Horizon makes a run at PUFW and IUPUI. That puts the Horizon way behind where they are now, effectively killing them. The Summit is left on life support with just 7 members and has to make a run a places like UMKC, UIC, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, hope, etc... or stay at 7 and wait for their death to come later down the road. The OVC has to replace a football and basektball member. They may take WIU out of the Summit to fill that all sports member. That kills the Summit off even further. Maybe that grab an ASUN member, or something like that. Leaving the Summit and OVC further behind where it was.

Be aggressive and kill anyone that *could* be a threat

VULB#62

The MVC has to become the A10 of mid-America.  So you are spot on, UNIFTW, the only way that happens is to be aggressive. I can't speak for any other school that is in play at this point, but I'd bet that ........

IF the MVC extends an invitation to Valpo .......
And IF Valpo accepts (the key IMO) ........

Short of building a new BB arena, Valpo will commit the resources necessary to meet any MVC conditions and on our side VU will put things into place that ensure that we are competitive immediately in MBB. 

crusadermoe

I like this mindset. 

Clearly there is a chance to dominate the nation's interior in M.M. basketball.   In reply to Big East and Big West, I suggest that the MVC add teams and call itself the BIG MIDWEST. 

If there is no substance to the Mark Adams report, why would the MSU A.D. care a bit about a rumor passing through "MONKEY'S EYEBROW, Kentucky" (SEE BELOW).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allen Ward Retweeted Jeff Bidwell

The KFVS report is not accurate. Murray State University officials have NOT confirmed those rumors! The discussion & vote has not occurred.

Channel 6 in Paducah--transmitter in Monkey's Eyebrow, KY (WPSD-NBC) is trying to be neutral.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: UNIFTW on May 03, 2017, 04:33:23 PM
The MVC needs to be aggressive here. It needs to "kill" the Horizon and Summit. Start strangling the life out of other MM conferences that might want to start looking at teams to add. Make it so that the MVC is CLEARLY a head of any of the MMs conferences. Be the best by simply killing off everyone else. Want to do that? Grab Valpo (and sadly UWM) from the Horizon and Murray State from the OVC. The Horizon makes a run at PUFW and IUPUI. That puts the Horizon way behind where they are now, effectively killing them. The Summit is left on life support with just 7 members and has to make a run a places like UMKC, UIC, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, hope, etc... or stay at 7 and wait for their death to come later down the road. The OVC has to replace a football and basektball member. They may take WIU out of the Summit to fill that all sports member. That kills the Summit off even further. Maybe that grab an ASUN member, or something like that. Leaving the Summit and OVC further behind where it was.

Be aggressive and kill anyone that *could* be a threat

Kill the Summit and the HL?  C'mon, man stop it.  Not going to happen.  Even if the MVC were to take VU, MSU and UWM, they'd both certainly survive.

Regarding the Summit, did North Dakota vanish?  UND will join the Summit in 2018, so even if IUPUI and Fort Wayne were to join the HL as you suggest, the Summit would still be at eight members soon enough anyway.  If the Summit wanted to draw UMKC as team #9, I'm sure they would be able to get them from the WAC as insurance.  And Western Illinois to the OVC?  Dude, you come from a football school.  Now there's good football in the OVC, but why would WIU trade that for games against NDSU, Youngstown, UNI and Illinois State if the Summit still has 8 or 9 members?  The MVFC is the premier FCS conference, isn't it?   

My $.02.

VULB#62

I interpreted "kill" as create an insurmountable gap between the MVC and any other middle of the country mm conferences.  And I agree that should be the goal.

QUALIFICATION TO MY REPLY:  If Valpo joins the MVC.   ;D
Otherwise all bets are off.

VULB#62

Question directed at our MVC visitors:  if being aggressive is a good thing, then what other steps has the MVC  taken over, say, the last 5 years to specifically develop the conference into a multi-bid conference beyond riding WSU and other members' (UNI, Creighton, etc.) coattails?

On the down side, it caved in to WSU on exit fees and as I understand it, they trashed scheduling mandates.

Looking here for an up side.

UNIFTW

Valpo49

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2017, 06:04:16 PMQuestion directed at our MVC visitors:  if being aggressive is a good thing, then what other steps has the MVC  taken over, say, the last 5 years to specifically develop the conference into a multi-bid conference beyond riding WSU and other members' (NIU, Creighton, etc.) coattails?

Not much from what I see.  MVC fans are frustrated and they are just hoping the conference turns Wichita leaving into an opportunity to get better.

FWalum

Quote from: bsmith21 on May 03, 2017, 06:37:32 PM
There's no team or group of teams that the MVC can add to make this a multi bid league most years. It could get multi bids about once every 3 or 4 years.
I guess that is one opinion and a pretty broad statement. Who knows how this would work out if VU and Murray were in the MVC.  All we can do is look historically and say "what if" to see what might happen in the future.  This is just an example of what the MVC would have looked like in 2015 without WSU and with VU and Murray added.

Here is what the Horizon looked like that same year, a year we went to the NCAA as a 13

I think that playing 5 top 100 teams in the "2015 MVC" bumps up the RPI of both VU and Murray.  In a conference with that make up I think potentially 3 teams go to the tournament.  If we go then we are probably not a 13 seed. Even without WSU, the top half of the MVC is better than the HL and the lower half is generally not as bad. I know this is a "one off" comparison, but I think it could pan out to be a multi-bid conference more often than every 3-4 years.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ISUBird

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Question directed at our MVC visitors:  if being aggressive is a good thing, then what other steps has the MVC  taken over, say, the last 5 years to specifically develop the conference into a multi-bid conference beyond riding WSU and other members' (NIU, Creighton, etc.) coattails?

On the down side, it caved in to WSU on exit fees and as I understand it, they trashed scheduling mandates.

TV deals.

NIU = Northern Illinois

UNI = Northern Iowa.

VULB#62

Quote from: ISUBird on May 05, 2017, 11:16:21 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 03, 2017, 06:04:16 PM
Question directed at our MVC visitors:  if being aggressive is a good thing, then what other steps has the MVC  taken over, say, the last 5 years to specifically develop the conference into a multi-bid conference beyond riding WSU and other members' (UNI, Creighton, etc.) coattails?

TV deals.

Fixed it.

VULB#62

Latest on Adams' poll asking his readers about the 10th MVC team. 

[tweet]860578995909406720[/tweet]

Based on the comparative sizes of each school (MuSU and Valp) and the number of alumni each has that's pretty close.  Adams is estounded by the volume of votes. UWM is actually losing out to UNO, but the numbers are so low that it doesn't make much difference.

Adams also tweets that he wants to get this poll in the hands of MVC decision makers.

[tweet]860560233579634688[/tweet]

RacerJoeD

Pretty telling that voters for both Murray and Valpo have stated that both teams should be added, 11 teams be damned.