• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Possible Missouri Valley Conference Expansion

Started by VU2014, May 12, 2017, 10:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

crusadermoe

Here's to the Jags!  Makes sense for them and for the league.  But what a fall from Butler days. 

The Horizon drops an anchor in Indy, the center of their footprint.       

a3uge

Quote from: Dave_2010 on June 27, 2017, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 27, 2017, 01:40:22 PM
Can't think of another situation where a college team that has had seven straight losing seasons and just a single NCAA appearance in its history (14 years ago) fell upwards like this, save for maybe Rutgers, and even they had experienced some semi-recent success in football. But you do you, Horizon League.

In fairness, who were they going to add? Grand Canyon and New Mexico State were hoping to use the HL as a catapult to a bigger league (WCC & CUSA respectively). Omaha and Fort Wayne are broke. RMU cares more about hockey than any sport the HL sponsors. Murray, EKU, and Belmont had no interest.

As best I can tell, that left you with IUPUI, Lipscomb, and UMKC. Not much there when you break it down.

What I would find wildly entertaining is the Summit replacing IUPUI with GCU and/or NMSU. That would firmly place it above the Horizon and send the HL fan forum (and Jimmy's twitter into complete chaos).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADD NOBODY! The Horizon is so short sided with these moves. Wait a few years and see how stable IPFW or IUPUI are. See if Robert Morris improves. I just don't see the rush to add IUPUI.

bigmosmithfan1

Yes, this. They absolutely rushed into a decision. Which seems odd, since they clearly weren't convinced that D-1 athletics are sustainable long-term under Fort Wayne's new structure and loss of IU-based students/majors.

VU2014

It is pretty hilarious to see the outrage from Horizon League fans on twitter about the IUPUI invite.

VULB#62

I wouldn't call it hilarious. I'd call it pretty sad.  There are a lot of good people over there who are demoralized over this "pull it out of the back pocket" move by LeCrone. Interesting also that IUPUI was extended only a 1-year contract.   So there is ongoing speculation on why that came about.

VU2014

Yeah sad but also little funny lol, especially to see some of the folks that said "Screw Valpo we're better off without them". Do they miss us yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHZj2xImRo

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on June 28, 2017, 04:01:09 PMYeah sad but also little funny lol, especially to see some of the folks that said "Screw Valpo we're better off without them". Do they miss us yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHZj2xImRo

With all due respect, who cares if they miss us? These are the same fan bases that call us "stupid and delusional"and constantly disrespected us even though we constantly kicked their butts on the court. Multiple boards have said they're glad we're gone. If that's the way they feel , then fine. So long and thanks  for all the conference titles over the past ten years. I don't miss the HL at all and look forward to our future in the MVC. I look forward to joining a league without  consistent RPI anchors, a league that won't hurt our chances at an at-large, a league that cares about academics, and , most importantly, a league where the fanbases actually care. Finally, we will get true road tests in authentic road atmospheres; no more games in the 75% empty caverns most of the HL schools called home.

oklahomamick

Well said VU grad.  I'm with you on all you said and could care less that we are no longer in a conference full of large commuter schools. 

We know what we will not miss.  The question is what we will miss?

I will miss 5 out of the 10 years winning the conference. Don't know if we can do that in the MVC.

I'll miss kampe and his never ending transfers of trouble.  They are good though.

I will miss games in Milwaukee.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo29

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 28, 2017, 07:46:52 PM
With all due respect, who cares if they miss us?

I'm guessing he was saying this all in good humor and was not meant to be taken literally.

I won't miss much about the Horizon League. Incompetent "leadership" in the Horizon League offices.

FieldGoodie05

Not that it was in question, but Ryan Fazekas officially signed his LOI with VU.  Verbal Commits reported yesterday.

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 28, 2017, 07:46:52 PM
With all due respect, who cares if they miss us? These are the same fan bases that call us "stupid and delusional"and constantly disrespected us even though we constantly kicked their butts on the court. Multiple boards have said they're glad we're gone. If that's the way they feel , then fine. So long and thanks  for all the conference titles over the past ten years. I don't miss the HL at all and look forward to our future in the MVC. I look forward to joining a league without  consistent RPI anchors, a league that won't hurt our chances at an at-large, a league that cares about academics, and , most importantly, a league where the fanbases actually care. Finally, we will get true road tests in authentic road atmospheres; no more games in the 75% empty caverns most of the HL schools called home.

Well stated.  Sounds like HL schools are just jealous of the way Valpo has dominated since joining the league.

The bad and good of the HL replacing Valpo with IUPUI:

Bad = The HL will surely become a perennial 1-bid league that will be 15+ in the RPI and rarely, if ever, win a game in the NCAA tourney.

Good = The HL will be more balanced, with the remaining teams now having a chance to win the league and actually make an NCAA tourney appearance on occasion. 

vusupporter

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 29, 2017, 11:13:14 AM
Not that it was in question, but Ryan Fazekas officially signed his LOI with VU.  Verbal Commits reported yesterday.

Valpo announced this officially two months ago.

cornonthe

I have to admit, I don't understand this thread anymore...I'm glad to gone...the Horizon League is a piddly league, run by piddly people and watched by piddly fans...good riddance!!! :D

VULB#62

Agree. Maybe our administrator can move it to the archived horizon league subject??? I am thinking that the second half of the title (.....impact the MVC) is totally irrelevant now.   That's pretty clear with the new HL addition.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vusupporter on June 29, 2017, 07:16:20 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 29, 2017, 11:13:14 AM

Valpo announced this officially two months ago.

Yup

VU2014

The MVC is apparently still looking into expanding to 12 members and I'm guess UWM will be in the discussion. UWM's new coaching staff has really recruited well since taking over the program.

They landed a 3-4 star(depends on the recruiting service) SF and now a fringe Top 100 (according to Scout) PG from Chicago. On top of that they will be a lock to land the coaches son Pat Baldwin Jr. who is regarded as one of the best players (formerly) from the State of Illinois. He's only a freshman but still as long as he's still coaching at UWM they're a lock to him. When is the last time a Horizon League school landed a commitment from a Top 100 player?  ???  I've seen some raised eyebrows on twitter about that commitment.

Its pretty shocking how good their recruiting has been since taking over for the floundering & chaotic UWM program. Maybe their recent recruiting proves to folks in the MVC that UWM can get its act together? They're AD & Chancellor could still be a sticking point for many MVC Presidents and ADs.

It seems like Murray State would be the most likely of any schools to get a invite. Or at least thats what it felt like post Valpo getting invited. If they do expand I'd personally like them to add 1 private and 1 public just to maintain the even public/private split in terms of voting power. The only private school that I see being "worthy" of a invite is Belmont and they seem content being "king" of a weak OVC conference.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on October 16, 2017, 11:06:21 AM
The MVC is apparently still looking into expanding to 12 members and I'm guess UWM will be in the discussion. UWM's new coaching staff has really recruited well since taking over the program.

They landed a 3-4 star(depends on the recruiting service) SF and now a fringe Top 100 (according to Scout) PG from Chicago. On top of that they will be a lock to land the coaches son Pat Baldwin Jr. who is regarded as one of the best players (formerly) from the State of Illinois. He's only a freshman but still as long as he's still coaching at UWM they're a lock to him. When is the last time a Horizon League school landed a commitment from a Top 100 player?  ???  I've seen some raised eyebrows on twitter about that commitment.

Its pretty shocking how good their recruiting has been since taking over for the floundering & chaotic UWM program. Maybe their recent recruiting proves to folks in the MVC that UWM can get its act together? They're AD & Chancellor could still be a sticking point for many MVC Presidents and ADs.

It seems like Murray State would be the most likely of any schools to get a invite. Or at least thats what it felt like post Valpo getting invited. If they do expand I'd personally like them to add 1 private and 1 public just to maintain the even public/private split in terms of voting power. The only private school that I see being "worthy" of a invite is Belmont and they seem content being "king" of a weak OVC conference.

Ty Mosely is a Combo guard with offers from Bradley and DePaul.  I'm not saying he can't turn out to be a very good player, but if he was really a top 100 kid (he's not rated on Rivals, isn't listed on ESPN, doesn't have a verbal commits page), then my guess is he'd at least be listed on most recruiting websites, especially considering that signing day's less than a month away.  His offer list would also likely look a lot more impressive unless there were significant off the court issues, which there doesn't appear to be.  I watched some of his videos from this summer and there's nothing to suggest he's a bad player, but I also don't see anything to suggest he's going to be a transcendent player in the Horizon League.  If you're a top 100 player (Matt Howard was the last one), especially given the deterioration of play in the league, he should be dominant, and quickly, so I think we'll find out soon next season how good he really is.  Either 247's scout nailed this one and everyone else missed him (it's happened), or that scout gave him a huge rating and he didn't really deserve it.

That has little, if nothing to do with whether or not UWM should be included in the MVC in the future, but I do think there should be some brake pumping with the Top 100 rating this kid has.

covufan

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 16, 2017, 12:52:14 PMdoesn't have a verbal commits page

He does have verbal commits page, including offers from Duquesne and UIC :

https://verbalcommits.com/players/tyronn-mosley

Still, he really is not Top 100 caliber. 

VU2014

Quote from: covufan on October 16, 2017, 01:04:35 PM
Quote from: IrishDawg on October 16, 2017, 12:52:14 PMdoesn't have a verbal commits page

He does have verbal commits page, including offers from Duquesne and UIC :

https://verbalcommits.com/players/tyronn-mosley

Still, he really is not Top 100 caliber. 

The ranking services get a lot of prospects wrong but he still may be a nice prospect. Judging from the lack of offers suggests he may not be a Top 100 prospect in many teams eyes.
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2017/10/15/henricksen-orrs-ty-mosley-commits-uw-milwaukee/
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tyronn-mosley

a3uge

Quote from: IrishDawg on October 16, 2017, 12:52:14 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 16, 2017, 11:06:21 AM

Ty Mosely is a Combo guard with offers from Bradley and DePaul.  I'm not saying he can't turn out to be a very good player, but if he was really a top 100 kid (he's not rated on Rivals, isn't listed on ESPN, doesn't have a verbal commits page), then my guess is he'd at least be listed on most recruiting websites, especially considering that signing day's less than a month away.  His offer list would also likely look a lot more impressive unless there were significant off the court issues, which there doesn't appear to be.  I watched some of his videos from this summer and there's nothing to suggest he's a bad player, but I also don't see anything to suggest he's going to be a transcendent player in the Horizon League.  If you're a top 100 player (Matt Howard was the last one), especially given the deterioration of play in the league, he should be dominant, and quickly, so I think we'll find out soon next season how good he really is.  Either 247's scout nailed this one and everyone else missed him (it's happened), or that scout gave him a huge rating and he didn't really deserve it.

That has little, if nothing to do with whether or not UWM should be included in the MVC in the future, but I do think there should be some brake pumping with the Top 100 rating this kid has.

Matt Howard was not an espn top 100 recruit. Jay Harris came after Howard anyways and actually was an ESPN 100 recruit (4 stars). This was in 2010. Kellen Dunham in 2012, Roosevelt Jones in 2011, and Kyhle Marshall in 2010 were top 100 for Butler. And who could forget our buddy Ray McCallum - he was a highly recruited 4 star, ESPN100 player.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on October 16, 2017, 11:06:21 AMThe MVC is apparently still looking into expanding to 12 members and I'm guess UWM will be in the discussion. UWM's new coaching staff has really recruited well since taking over the program. They landed a 3-4 star(depends on the recruiting service) SF and now a fringe Top 100 (according to Scout) PG from Chicago. On top of that they will be a lock to land the coaches son Pat Baldwin Jr. who is regarded as one of the best players (formerly) from the State of Illinois. He's only a freshman but still as long as he's still coaching at UWM they're a lock to him. When is the last time a Horizon League school landed a commitment from a Top 100 player?  ???  I've seen some raised eyebrows on twitter about that commitment. Its pretty shocking how good their recruiting has been since taking over for the floundering & chaotic UWM program. Maybe their recent recruiting proves to folks in the MVC that UWM can get its act together? They're AD & Chancellor could still be a sticking point for many MVC Presidents and ADs. It seems like Murray State would be the most likely of any schools to get a invite. Or at least thats what it felt like post Valpo getting invited. If they do expand I'd personally like them to add 1 private and 1 public just to maintain the even public/private split in terms of voting power. The only private school that I see being "worthy" of a invite is Belmont and they seem content being "king" of a weak OVC conference.

Speaking of Milwaukee Check this out:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400989151

This performance has my attention. A couple more of these and they're back on my radar as an acceptable addition to the MVC. They still need to clean up that messy leadership situation though.

VU2014

Where the heck did that come from? I know Iowa State was suppose to be a little down this season but that definitely looks like they dominated them.

VUGrad1314

Also Bryce lost to Belmont 69-60 and  Murray State lost to Middle Tennessee 72-67.