• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Athletics Mission Statement

Started by vu72, May 30, 2017, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

This obviously covers all sports but as basketball is the lead sport it would seem appropriate to post this here.

This is UPDATED from the document drawn in 2012 and specifically covers the period 2017-2022.  Completed items have been removed.  I found a few things of interest, listed below.  Here is the entire document:

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/25DB7CED-4D9B-4222-9BBD-C8C98E935FD0/ValparaisoAthleticsStrategicPlan-2016-17.pdf

Action step 2.B.i: Determine the number and costs of the required additional
scholarships at each level.
Action step 2.B.ii Develop funding strategy, in consultation with Vice-President for
Enrollment Management, for the additional scholarships at each level.
Action step 2.B.iii: In conjunction with the University's current fundraising campaign,
implement a program to grow private support to endow scholarship costs.

Strategy 2.C: Improve Athletics facilities in accordance with the University's strategic goal 3.4:
Action Step 2.C.i: Develop program and preliminary design for a new Recreation Center
and Athletic Field on the former Porter Hospital property.
Action Step 2.C.ii: Develop and execute a funding model to construct the new
Recreation Center and Athletic Field.
Action Step 2.C.iii: Identify and prioritize additional investments in athletics facilities
that will assist in meeting Objective 3.4 of the current University Strategic Plan
Action step 2.C.iv: Develop and execute a funding model to construct those facilities.

Strategy 4.D: Develop and implement a comprehensive civic engagement/community outreach
plan.
Action Step 4.D.i: Utilizing University and departmental resources, develop an
appropriate staffing model to support the plan.
Action Step 4.D.ii: Develop relationships with not for profits in the community and define the position.

Action Step 6.A.iv: Expand the corporate partners program; explore opportunities for
renewable naming rights.

Strategy 6.F: Compensate coaches/staff at or above the median level of compensation among
peer institutions.
Action Step 6.F.i: Examine benchmark data on coach and staff salaries at
comparable/peer institutions.

So I've highlited a few things as noted.  Specifically that we obviously still need money to get to the full compliment of scholarships, that there will be a plan for the Porter County Hospital site together with a funding model, that there will be/is a plan to reach out to the community including possible naming rights and finally that the University is committed to keeping salaries on par with our peers in spite of the fact that The Valley clearly are paying their coaches/staff more than the Horizon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

These are the actual vision and mission statements of the athletic department. Fully recognizing that Vision and Mission Statements can sometimes be BS, I would say that I like the vision statement, but find the mission statement too vague. The strategic objectives listed about are well written, but not terribly effective given that many are not funded and there is no time set for accomplishing the objectives.

VALPARAISO ATHLETICS VISION
Valparaiso Athletics will be renowned for creating champions in competition, the classroom, and the community.

VALPARAISO ATHLETICS MISSION
Supporting the traditions and heritage of Valparaiso University, the Department of Athletics prepares our students to lead and serve through exceptional experiences in athletics.

vu72

Quote from: vu84v2 on May 31, 2017, 09:21:53 AM
These are the actual vision and mission statements of the athletic department. Fully recognizing that Vision and Mission Statements can sometimes be BS, I would say that I like the vision statement, but find the mission statement too vague. The strategic objectives listed about are well written, but not terribly effective given that many are not funded and there is no time set for accomplishing the objectives.

VALPARAISO ATHLETICS VISION
Valparaiso Athletics will be renowned for creating champions in competition, the classroom, and the community.

VALPARAISO ATHLETICS MISSION
Supporting the traditions and heritage of Valparaiso University, the Department of Athletics prepares our students to lead and serve through exceptional experiences in athletics.

Actually there is a time line.

The Strategic Plan identifies six categories of Goals followed by a series of recommended
Strategies and specific Action Steps that should be undertaken to achieve those goals.
Strategies and Action Steps to be implemented within the next twenty-four months of the Plan
are listed herein along with more long term Strategies and Action Steps (highlighted in italics)
that are recommended for implementation in years three through five of the Plan
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Something tells me that the mission will be revisited and revised after July 1.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 31, 2017, 10:19:00 AM
Something tells me that the mission will be revisited and revised after July 1.
Yes, anything with HL or McCafferty trophy will need to be updated.

As I reread the Valpo Strategic Plan, I'm having some trouble with a few sections.  Let me say first that I think that ml is doing a great job, and has definitely raised the bar for Valpo Athletics.  I look forward to Valpo competing in all sports that are MVC sponsored.

Goal 1.2: Ensure the safety of each student-athlete.  And Action Step 1.A.iv: Track and report upon progress.  After the @Jacksonville football game of 11/21/2015, it was reported that Valpo left an injured player on the injury bench at halftime, to be attended by Jax training personnel.  The football news on valpoathletics.com site mentions nothing.  Am I to interpret that this report was erroneous?  If the injury report was true, where is the 'track and report' portion of the 'Ensure the safety of each student-athlete'?  In my view, something like this should never have happened, especially in 2015.

Goal 2.4: Finish in the top 3 in the Pioneer Football League while winning the Championship at least once every four years.  While I think it is great to have goals, we need to be more realistic.  Unless the PFL moves to a 3 or 4 team league, we have almost no chance of this goal.  In the five most recent seasons since the first Strategic Plan, we have finished ahead of Campbell, Davidson (3 times), Butler and Stetson.  We've also finished ahead of SD and JAX (twice), when they ineligible because of league rules.  On average, we finish ahead of one team each season. 

While I think that the football future may be brighter than in more than a decade, I still only see a PFL record of 4-4, maybe 5-3 (which would be a huge improvement).  I really hope that we can compete this year.  I think a more realistic goal might be finish in the top half of the PFL more years than not.  Once we start finishing in the top half, then maybe readjust to having a goal of winning the PFL once in a while.