• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters NBA Draft

Started by valpo84, June 22, 2017, 02:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In What Round Will Alec Peters be Drafted?

Before the 24th pick
1 (9.1%)
24th-30th Picks(likely Orlando or Jazz or Spurs)
2 (18.2%)
30th-45th
5 (45.5%)
46th-60th (likely 76ers, Pacers or Bucks)
3 (27.3%)
Undrafted
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 23, 2017, 02:27:05 PM

bbtds

Quote from: cornonthe on June 23, 2017, 12:38:18 AM
Congrats to Alec!!! Congrats to me too...I live in the Phoenix area, so I get to see him live...at least on TV anyway!!!  ;D

Will you be calling Alec "Global Water" "putting out the Suns scoring drought?"

crusadermoe

Yes, Alec conveyed a lot more emotion. What suspense! It was great to see him on ESPN as "best available" but it got scary when 8-10 picks passed him. All those doubts had to be piling up.

However, I did note that this year's NBA freshmen draftees were more impressive than I had recalled in other years.  Either they are coached up well for PR or this was a particularly good group who really are articulate and hard working.  I didn't hear constant mumbling of "uh..." and "it's like..."..or mangled grammar.   Most of them spoke in complete sentences.  The Louisville kid particularly impressed me with his comments and his really upbeat attitude.

One exception was Malik Monk who let it show he was deflated by being skipped by the Knicks for the French guy.  He is from NY. 

oklahomamick

NBA rumors say My fellow okie, Blake griffin, headed to the Phoenix Suns.  If so, I wonder how this effects Alec?

Will Alec be playing the summer league?
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 30, 2017, 06:10:31 AMWill Alec be playing the summer league?

As stated in many sources, Alec will not be playing in the summer league.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Rumor has it that the Suns are going to pursue Blake Griffin. That certainly wouldn't help AP find minutes as a rookie. Hopefully that signals a sea change in the organization and they line up some trades for stars that will allow Alec to assume a role off the bench in Phoenix, or perhaps somewhere else.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on June 30, 2017, 02:26:03 PMRumor has it that the Suns are going to pursue Blake Griffin. That certainly wouldn't help AP find minutes as a rookie. Hopefully that signals a sea change in the organization and they line up some trades for stars that will allow Alec to assume a role off the bench in Phoenix, or perhaps somewhere else.

Scratch that. Sounds like Griffin is staying in LA.

NativeCheesehead

I think these new two-way rookie contracts and the 'new' G-League couldn't have come at a better time for Alec. Worst case he ends up getting good minutes there as he rounds back into playing shape, and is ready at the 1/4 or 1/2 way point of the season. I wouldn't bet against him being one of the steals of this draft in the next 3-5 years.

crusadermoe

Wow.  Nothing but the very bottom of the net swished three times in a row.  I know he is unguarded, but that's fun to watch.

valpotx

Awesome, good for him.  I hope that Vashil and Keith Carter find places to play in a top European league.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on July 07, 2017, 06:01:02 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 06, 2017, 09:37:47 PM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Reichert/status/883144897951178753

So what exactly does that mean for him?? 

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/170621-g-league-two-way-contracts/

From Lakers website

NBA, G League Introduce Two-Way Contracts

by Joey Ramirez
Digital Reporter
Posted: Jun 21, 2017

The partnership between the NBA and NBA Gatorade League will take a big step in its evolution this year with the introduction of two-way contracts.

NBA rosters will grow from 15 spots to 17 thanks to the addition of a pair of "two-way players" that can spend up to 45 days on an NBA roster.

Under these contracts, which are similar to those used in Minor League Baseball, a player will be able to make an NBA salary on a pro-rata basis while with the parent club, while also being able to earn his G League salary when with the affiliate team.

The Lakers have seen considerable recent success in using the G League to their advantage, as Jordan Clarkson, Ivica Zubac and Tarik Black have served as D-Fenders (now South Bay Lakers) affiliate players in the past.

Meanwhile, David Nwaba was called up from the D-Fenders and provided a strong, 20-game sample with the Lakers last year. The effects of these new contracts will alter how players and teams can strategize around the G League.

Players who may have otherwise went overseas to make more money will now be further incentivized to join the G League in hopes of being selected for a two-way contract, thus earning an NBA salary.

Meanwhile, these contracts will encourage NBA teams to hold onto second-round picks and place more emphasis on undrafted free agents considering the expansion of their rosters.

At the end of last season, 44 percent of players on NBA rosters had prior G League experience. Now, under this two-way system, an even greater emphasis will be placed on using the G League to grow NBA talent.

I believe this leads to the elimination of the one and done in the NCAA and greater parity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Arizona_Suns

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on July 07, 2017, 06:01:02 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 06, 2017, 09:37:47 PM
https://twitter.com/Chris_Reichert/status/883144897951178753

So what exactly does that mean for him??

It could be good or bad. Essentially he gets a pro-rated NBA salary for the days he's called up - but he can only be called up for around 45 days. When his 45 days are extinguished, he simply goes back to the D(G) League. It would be better if he was on a 15-man roster (he'd have a full NBA salary, and still be able to play D-League), but it would also devistating to not be on any roster. I'm assuming he starts the year in Northern Arizona, and then at some point towards the end of the year when the Suns are out of playoff contention, he gets called up for his last 45 days.

M

Did you see the Peters' tweet this morning?! Says he hasn't signed anything yet.

valporun

Actually, this is the same style of contract that former Wichita State guard Fred Van Vleet was playing under with the Toronto Raptors last season. He could be called up at points where the Raptors had a player injury, or someone who had to miss a game due to some personal thing. It doesn't have to be 45 consecutive games, it could be anytime that Alec would be called up counts. Kinda like the hockey two-way contracts, called up as needed, and sent back down to help save on salary caps, when the team has a day off. It will be good for Alec to have this, as he can show what he's learning and doing in the league.

vu72

So if I'm doing the math correctly,Alec would earn the NBA minimum of $815,615 for 17-18, for 45 days or $100,555 plus his G League pay of about $75,000 for the balance of the 320 days or $65,753 for a minimum total comp for his first year of $166,308.  I suspect the final numbers could be a lot higher.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

Quote from: vu72 on July 07, 2017, 11:01:41 AM
So if I'm doing the math correctly,Alec would earn the NBA minimum of $815,615 for 17-18, for 45 days or $100,555 plus his G League pay of about $75,000 for the balance of the 320 days or $65,753 for a minimum total comp for his first year of $166,308.  I suspect the final numbers could be a lot higher.

Even if he spends the entire season in the D-League getting his mojo back after injury. 75k + all of the food/travel expenses to play a game.   Can't beat that.

That said, the Suns are young.  I think they will rotate guys around a lot throughout the season.  He will get some play in both leagues.  They will want a good sample size evaluation of all of their players to see who gets renewed contracts going forward.  In the meantime if they lose a few games because of it no big deal as they are a 3-4 seasons away from being big time contenders.     

valpo64

Does anyone have an update on Alec's situation with Phoenix?  Is he signed?  If so, is it a 2 way contract with their G League affiliate, a regular signing with the Suns?? Or is he a free agent?  Has his foot completely healed?

VU2014

crusadermoe

Is it possible that his 45 days of NBA pay could be pro-rated against just the duration of days in the NBA season (perhaps 180 days or so)?  That would crank up his max to $200,000 or so. 

VU2014

Well sounds like Alec got an apartment in Phoenix so that sounds like a good sign! Maybe he signed his contract & will be with the team? Either way sounds like good news.

https://twitter.com/petersalec/status/904443186935865344