• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanmiracle

Quote from: 78crusader on April 03, 2012, 06:08:33 PM
For what it's worth, this 55 year old --who has only set foot in small town gyms in the Iowa hinterlands over the past 35+ years -- doubts that the ARC is merely a "glorified high school gym."  I suppose a few very large high schools might have a facility that compares well with the ARC, but I doubt there are that many around.   And I doubt the size of the ARC is the deciding factor for most of the players we recruit.  I'd rather see a renovation of the ARC that includes an expansion of the north wall (with windows, please), plus more restrooms and concessions.  I suppose maybe a few more rows on the chairback side wouldn't hurt. 

The VU program that DOES suffer in comparison to high school facilities is our football team.  I think Coach Carlson, who is a good coach and a fine person, is at a tremendous disadvantage when it comes to bringing recruits in.  I understand why VU believes that other campus improvements should take priority, but honestly, the Brown Field facility has been outdated and inadequate since I was in school 1974-78.  There can be no argument about this statement: it simply is not an attractive place to host football games.  I appreciate the new turf and scoreboard, but we need a new stadium with a track around it.  Albion College in Michigan built Sprankel-Sprandel stadium a few years ago for 6.5 million.  (If you think our situation needs updating, keep in mind that before building its new stadium, Albion played its football games at a local high school.)  Take a look at the website and you'll get an idea of what that kind of money can buy.  And, while we're at it, please, please VU...put in some trees around Brown Field, the kind that turn pretty colors in the fall, so that fans can look at changing leaves rather than the Porter County Hospital HVAC units. 

Paul

Unfortunately, if you're going to get Indiana kids, many of them have played in places like the ARC. You can drive down the road to Michigan City where they hold 7,300. If I remember correctly, 18 of the 20 largest high school gyms in the country are in Indiana, or at least that was the case a few years ago. Granted, they're not full like they used to be (stupid class basketball), but they're still large.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

VHS Gym has more capacity than the ARC, if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, I was in Boucher Gym during the off days of the HL tourney.  Hard to believe that place was once the high school gym.  It's so small ;)  I played there in 9th grade.

lowposter

I am in Boucher nearly every weekend....remember that there were bleachers on the floors.

That is an outstanding gym, one of the best around.  The floors, the background, the raised seats, etc.  It is sacred in Valpo for those that played in it in high school.

lowposter

StlVUFan

Quote from: lowposter on April 04, 2012, 02:52:05 PM
I am in Boucher nearly every weekend....remember that there were bleachers on the floors.

That is an outstanding gym, one of the best around.  The floors, the background, the raised seats, etc.  It is sacred in Valpo for those that played in it in high school.

lowposter
There had to be bleachers on the floor, otherwise my memories of the place were completely invalid -- thanks for that confirmation.  However, it looks like those do not extend out from the wall, unless I wasn't paying attention.

There was an 8th grade AAU tournament going on that weekend, and a nephew of mine was on one of the teams.

valpospartan

Quote from: StlVUFan on April 04, 2012, 12:18:40 PM

By the way, I was in Boucher Gym during the off days of the HL tourney.  Hard to believe that place was once the high school gym.  It's so small ;)  I played there in 9th grade.

VHS gym & the ARC both seat 5000, but the ARC can handle 6000.
Viking gym is the 34th largest in the state.

vuweathernerd

i'll be honest, i can't fathom a high school gym that holds that many. even my high school's football stadium can't hold that many. (and no, i didn't go to high school in indiana)

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpospartan on April 04, 2012, 03:48:38 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on April 04, 2012, 12:18:40 PM

VHS gym & the ARC both seat 5000, but the ARC can handle 6000.
Time out.  VHS gym has mezzanine on both sides, ARC only on one side.  I have trouble believing what you are telling me.  True, ARC has endzone bleachers (well, on one side at least, and minimally on the other, but it still is hard to believe the ARC has more capacity.

ValpoHoops

VHS runs baseline to baseline and the arc goes at least ten feet past on each end, plus the extra ten feet of court. Also, the mezzanine at the arc is WAY higher than the sides at VHS.

StlVUFan

Quote from: ValpoHoops on April 04, 2012, 09:47:27 PM
VHS runs baseline to baseline and the arc goes at least ten feet past on each end, plus the extra ten feet of court. Also, the mezzanine at the arc is WAY higher than the sides at VHS.
Well, it's been 12 years since I've been there, so I have no basis for fighting you on that one.  Uncle ;)

valpospartan

StlVUFan:
"Time out.  VHS gym has mezzanine on both sides, ARC only on one side.  I have trouble believing what you are telling me.  True, ARC has endzone bleachers (well, on one side at least, and minimally on the other, but it still is hard to believe the ARC has more capacity."

I got the nuimbers from the VU athletic site and a website listing HS gym capacities.  I have been in both gyms, also, and have no problem believing the numbers.

Valpo89

Valpo High School changed its bleachers about 10 years ago (maybe more). They lost a lot of seats - not as many rows, for one thing.
The only time it is at capacity for anything other than the Munster games when Hummel and Martin were playing is the Christmas musical program every year and graduation. I'd say it's slightly less than what the ARC holds when it's filled up.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 05, 2012, 01:10:31 PM
Valpo High School changed its bleachers about 10 years ago (maybe more). They lost a lot of seats - not as many rows, for one thing.
The only time it is at capacity for anything other than the Munster games when Hummel and Martin were playing is the Christmas musical program every year and graduation. I'd say it's slightly less than what the ARC holds when it's filled up.

Ah, see.  That's information I didn't have.  The VHS Gym I remember, the mezzanine went way up there.  If they've reduced it, that would explain my error.

valpopal

Quote from: 78crusader on April 03, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
I have a feeling we're gonna find out soon what the Board of Directors thinks...I'm looking for an announcement soon that VU will be starting a new capital campaign.  I base this on a single comment that President Harre made at the Union dedication in 2009, that he expected the next capital campaign to begin in 2011...I figure the Board isn't going to wait until 2013 to begin the new campaign.  They meet again at the end of this month.  The consultant they hired was expected to provide the final report on the Campus Master Plan this past January.  And, since I was dead wrong and figured that a Welcome Center was the last thing in the world that would be next up to bat on the construction list, I really have no idea what the Board will select as the next building project(s). 

Paul

You are correct. The Board of Directors is scheduled to consider for approval the 20-year master plan in a couple of weeks. Once that is detailed, I believe we will see a new capital campaign introduced in the fall semester, which will be more important because it will have short-term goals that are attainable and expected. This is where we hope for some plans that will lead to renovation of the ARC.

The master pan will likely include a number of proposals for long-term transitions that might seem dramatic and even hypothetical. Rumors include a new science building, enlarging and focusing upon graduate programs, expanding the business program, restructuring of fraternity and sorority housing, a new field house, and eventually reshaping the university by building upon properties between the old campus and the new campus to unify everything.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpopal on April 07, 2012, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on April 03, 2012, 08:18:48 PM
I have a feeling we're gonna find out soon what the Board of Directors thinks...I'm looking for an announcement soon that VU will be starting a new capital campaign.  I base this on a single comment that President Harre made at the Union dedication in 2009, that he expected the next capital campaign to begin in 2011...I figure the Board isn't going to wait until 2013 to begin the new campaign.  They meet again at the end of this month.  The consultant they hired was expected to provide the final report on the Campus Master Plan this past January.  And, since I was dead wrong and figured that a Welcome Center was the last thing in the world that would be next up to bat on the construction list, I really have no idea what the Board will select as the next building project(s). 

Paul

You are correct. The Board of Directors is scheduled to consider for approval the 20-year master plan in a couple of weeks. Once that is detailed, I believe we will see a new capital campaign introduced in the fall semester, which will be more important because it will have short-term goals that are attainable and expected. This is where we hope for some plans that will lead to renovation of the ARC.

The master pan will likely include a number of proposals for long-term transitions that might seem dramatic and even hypothetical. Rumors include a new science building, enlarging and focusing upon graduate programs, expanding the business program, restructuring of fraternity and sorority housing, a new field house, and eventually reshaping the university by building upon properties between the old campus and the new campus to unify everything.

Although I tend to believe what you are saying here, I wonder if you have a source on this. Where are you getting it from? "My guy says" is not good enough, like a certain poster used to say.

valpopal

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on April 08, 2012, 03:53:11 PM

Although I tend to believe what you are saying here, I wonder if you have a source on this. Where are you getting it from? "My guy says" is not good enough, like a certain poster used to say.

Obviously, I can't reveal my source here, but if you check my various comments in the thread on enrollment numbers, you will see my source in the administration was accurate on that subject and is reliable.

VULB#62

I know the focus of this thread is mainly the ARC, but I really hope the board has a broader vision in mind for the near term -- i.e. at least including Brown Field and the track immediately along with ARC improvements.  The Porter Hosp. property will take much longer to evolve, but understandably so.

sectionee

Having an inside source isn't much fun sometimes.  Let him say what he thinks to be true and if it is then great, if it is not then go after the guy.

vu72

Let me add some "insider sources" (mine is actually one of the fund raisers!) who has told me and confirmed some of what valpopal has said.  Specifically, I have been told of an idea to add and entrance of sorts to old campus and the law school specifically.  Where that will be is not clear to me.

I was also told of ideas to relate and/or develop a Greek Village which was at one point thought to be near the former President' home but more recently has bee n thought to be south of Mound Street in the Short Street area.

Valpo has for some time been acquiring the houses on McIntyre with the idea of tearing them all down and using that space for relocating the Eastgate Fields.  This may have changed as I've heard that there may just be a pathway cut through for student foot traffic over to the ARC and Brown Field.  The hospital site acquisition may have had something to do with that change or possibly the fact that in may be too difficult or take too many years to finish all the acquisitions.

I wish I had some specifics about the ARC plans but I don't.  The hospital site is about 13 acres and I think the University has been acquiring other pieces nearby as they have become availalble.  This article from the Post-Trib talks about some ideas and one includes tearing down the Nursing School so that will need to be replaced as well.  Lots to think about, but very exciting...

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/porter/7616755-418/vu-may-grow-athletics-student-body-size-with-purchase-of-old-hospital.html
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Why not make McIntyre the Greek village? It would make a very pleasant Fraternity/Sorority Row.  Just wondering.

78crusader

If I recall correctly, the first draft of the new Campus Master Plan, which was discussed publicly last fall, saved McIntyre from the wrecking ball.  My best guess is that it would have taken too long for VU to acquire all the properties.  It is true the original campus master plan, drafted sometime in the 1980s, had the McIntyre area turned over into athletic fields.  I think also there was some mention made from the authors of the new master plan that students kind of like having McIntyre around since it does give provide a quiet residential area adjacent to campus.  (There may be some older, less attractive homes on McIntyre, but nothing like the eyesores that are found west of campus.)  So, in the long term I see VU building new nursing building in the heart of campus, and maybe moving the baseball field to the area just north of the football field (and getting rid of Eastgate altogether), but that I think is many years away. 

I like the idea of tying the old and new campus areas together.  I would imagine the law students feel completely disconnected from new campus.  I like the idea of using Short Street to build a Greek Village.  This would free up Mound Street so perhaps the university would place one of the new buildings there to help tie the old and new campuses together. Let's face it, something needs to be done with the frat houses. 

The trouble is, VU has too many needs -- including a new dorm or two, new nursing building, ARC renovations, new track (and football stadium -- please!), new science building, another new academic building, a new fieldhouse, an addition to the business school  -- to bring all of this together in 5 or even 10 years.  The new science building and fieldhouse will likely cost over $100 million, and I just don't see VU doing fundraising for both these projects at the same time.  If I'm right, that means one of them will have to take a back seat for several years.  So my best guess is the next capital campaign will feature a new dorm, either the science building or fieldhouse, and ARC renovations, along with the hope they can convince someone, somewhere, to throw in $1-1.5 million to put in the track.

Paul

valpotx

Most of these plans have been talked about by President Heckler over the last few months.  I know he told us in the DFW meeting last year about each of these items probably being included on the new Master Plan.
"Don't mess with Texas"

okinawatyphoon

yeah, I just don't see the Nursing building being a priority in the next campaign since it seems to be adequate, but I could be wrong. Meier Hall will be the new education building, so I think 78 is just about spot on.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on April 09, 2012, 06:30:06 PM
yeah, I just don't see the Nursing building being a priority in the next campaign since it seems to be adequate, but I could be wrong. Meier Hall will be the new education building, so I think 78 is just about spot on.

agreed. didn't lebien just get redone about 20 years ago? it may not be large enough to accomodate the growing number of nursing students, but i don't remember it being anywhere near as outdated as neils is.

VULB#62

It'd be great in my mind if the following could occur in conjunction with the development of the Porter County Hospital property:

Immediate (even before the hospital is demolished): 
(1) Installation of track (live with the current Brown Field south stands for a bit longer)
(2) ARC update and slight expansion to, say, 6500. Commit to making the ARC the permanent home of only MBB, WBB, VB and M&W Swimming, period.

Then....... Near-term Future:
(1) Remove the north Brown Field visitor stands and construct the new Field House on the north side of Brown Field with integrated football stadium home stands built into the building's south side that expands Brown Field seating to a legit 7,500-8,000 and provides ticket offices and concessions for the stadium and fan lounges and other cool stuff to support the new Brown Field complex.  Inside it provides indoor track and indoor training facilities plus a first class general student fitness center plus new football, soccer, SB, tennis, T&F, and baseball (future) locker space, plus meeting rooms, training rooms, weight training facilities, ticket offices, etc.  Brown Field and the Field House become the near-term permanent home of FB, MSO, WSO, T&F/CC, M&W Tennis and WSB teams.
(2) Construct 2 soccer practice fields.

Slightly Longer-term Future:
(1) Build new Em Bauer Field into the complex and add MBB to the mix.
(2) Move SB field into complex.
(3) Complex now the new home of all sports except M&WBB, Swimming and VB.

BTW Mark Labarbera came from UNH where this integrated field house/football & track stadium model was followed. It's a very effective use of property and assets.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2012, 09:30:59 PM
It'd be great in my mind if the following could occur in conjunction with the development of the Porter County Hospital property:

Immediate (even before the hospital is demolished): 
(1) Installation of track (live with the current Brown Field south stands for a bit longer)
(2) ARC update and slight expansion to, say, 6500. Commit to making the ARC the permanent home of only MBB, WBB, VB and M&W Swimming, period.

Then....... Near-term Future:
(1) Remove the north Brown Field visitor stands and construct the new Field House on the north side of Brown Field with integrated football stadium home stands built into the building's south side that expands Brown Field seating to a legit 7,500-8,000 and provides ticket offices and concessions for the stadium and fan lounges and other cool stuff to support the new Brown Field complex.  Inside it provides indoor track and indoor training facilities plus a first class general student fitness center plus new football, soccer, SB, tennis, T&F, and baseball (future) locker space, plus meeting rooms, training rooms, weight training facilities, ticket offices, etc.  Brown Field and the Field House become the near-term permanent home of FB, MSO, WSO, T&F/CC, M&W Tennis and WSB teams.
(2) Construct 2 soccer practice fields.

Slightly Longer-term Future:
(1) Build new Em Bauer Field into the complex and add MBB to the mix.
(2) Move SB field into complex.
(3) Complex now the new home of all sports except M&WBB, Swimming and VB.

BTW Mark Labarbera came from UNH where this integrated field house/football & track stadium model was followed. It's a very effective use of property and assets.

In general some very solid ideas and perhaps Mark will take the ideas from his previous jobs into consideration.  Not to be picky but I don't see Brown field expanding to 7500-8000 given the level of play even if we won PFL titles on a regular basis.  Perhaps I'm wrong but the community has proven time and time again that it either has too many other ways to spend athletic money or they just don't care much for VU.

I also don't see the softball field being moved as it has just added permanent seating (chair backs) etc and just isn't very far from the ARC to begin with.

I do see a need for a new swimming pool as the current one is really old and only 25 meters.

Finally, have you seen the new student fitness center?  I haven't been in it, and would love to hear other student opinions on same, but it appears to be first class.
Here is a site where you can take a "tour" to view all that is in it--at the site of the old book store, next to the ARC:

http://www.valpo.edu/fitnesscenter/facilities/tour.php
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015