• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

VU Football @ Campbell

Started by VULB#62, October 30, 2012, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Someone has to start it -- guess it'll be me.

FROM THE VALPO ATHLETIC SITE:
Scouting Campbell: The Camels are currently riding a six-game PFL losing skid after falling to Valpo last November. The Camels, who are coming off a 70-28 loss to Morehead State last week, boast the second worst scoring defense in the PFL, allowing just more than 39 points per contest. Junior quarterback Dakota Wolf is averaging 93.7 passing yards per game and is the team's leading rusher, averaging 72 yards per game. With an average of 296.5 yards per game, Campbell is the only PFL team with fewer than 300 yards a contest.

First of all, guess who is first worst in scoring defense?  Hint #1: they give up 46.4 points per PFL game this season but haven't allowed more than 70 points in a PFL game since 2010 when they gave up 86.  Hint #2:  they wear black sweat sox.

However, getting back to the task at hand, the lack of a competent Campbell offense makes me think there is a possibility that this game could squeak into the win column. 

FORECAST
Valpo 28 - Campbell 27.  The difference:  Unable to locate their kicker and/or holder on four occasions, VU scores TDs on four of its 8 drives into the red zone and manages to hold Campbell to a field goal on one of its forays into the red zone instead of giving up a TD. 

milanmiracle

Well, this game should be competitive. I stress should. This is a game Valpo HAS to win if they are going to make progress for the future.

Valpo 28
Campbell 31

I agree that being able to find the kicker will play a big roll in this game, however not in favor of Valpo. Campbell finds their kicker and wins the toilet bowl by 3.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: historyman on October 30, 2012, 07:12:47 PM
Valpo  14
Campbell 34

If this happens then I will join the chorus seeking a coaching change.  I don't think it will...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

crusadermoe

Call this the Sagarin Bowl?     Valpo is the favorite, but we're playing in N. Carolina right?

Camels          35
Crusaders      13

Buies Creek?    Sounds like the place where Jed was "shooting at some food."

vuweathernerd

i don't understand why anybody predicts this team to win anything right now.

setshot

Toilet Bowl it is. The problem for Valpo is that Campbell has the runs but VU can't plug the hole. Campell by 14+. Book it! :-[

jetz

Quote from: crusadermoe on October 30, 2012, 11:01:13 PM

I went to Buies Creek last spring for a baseball game w/ Campbell.  Jed indeed may have shot at some food there, but he would have had to go 20 miles away to find the ammo first.  Had to drive 45 mins for a hotel.  Coach Woodson got ejected in the game, and they CALLED THE COP (yes, one cop) who felt it was his job to make sure that Woodson made it out to the parking lot or whatever.  The last time I saw anything like that was at a Little League game in Hope, Indiana involving a guy with a blonde power mullett.  My advice for the football team: get there, win, and get on the bus with uniforms on and get out....good luck.   :crazy:   
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

VULB#62

Quote from: jetz on October 31, 2012, 08:25:25 AM
Quote from: crusadermoe on October 30, 2012, 11:01:13 PM

I went to Buies Creek last spring for a baseball game w/ Campbell.  Jed indeed may have shot at some food there, but he would have had to go 20 miles away to find the ammo first.  Had to drive 45 mins for a hotel.  Coach Woodson got ejected in the game, and they CALLED THE COP (yes, one cop) who felt it was his job to make sure that Woodson made it out to the parking lot or whatever.  The last time I saw anything like that was at a Little League game in Hope, Indiana involving a guy with a blonde power mullett.  My advice for the football team: get there, win, and get on the bus with uniforms on and get out....good luck.   :crazy:   

:rotfl:    :rotfl:    :rotfl:

That's incredible.  BTW how were the facilities?

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on October 31, 2012, 12:22:54 AM

Got me?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

I can't predict a win on the road, even against what seems like an equally terrible Camel team.

Campbell 28
Valpo 21

I hope to be surprised, but I think our playcalling will be our downfall in a competitive game...with competitive meaning two sloppy teams
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

For anyone who feels they want to watch this Valpo at Campbell football game if for no other reason than to evaluate the coaches, the cost is $5.95 on the Campbell athletics website.

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?mid=24624
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

okinawatyphoon

Exactly my sentiments.
VU 14
Campbell 42
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

covufan

Well, picking them to finish close hasn't worked.  Maybe if I pick them to win the game will be close?

Valpo 27
Campbell 23

VULB#62

Coach Carlson has posted a blog entry for this week entitled "Getting back in the game."  It acknowledges the pain of the past two weeks.

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

usc4valpo

Sorry, you know you are in trouble when you have to go to Joel Osteen. C'mon man!

crusadermoe

Yeah, I think Norman Vincent Peale would not have been as current.   
Wonder if the halftime speeches invoke Zig Ziglar and maybe Bluto Blutarski.....?     
Did America give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?......NO!!     When the going gets tough...........the tough get going!!    Who's with me?   

usc4valpo

perhaps an inspirational Mike Ditka "in-life" speech where he smokes a cigar and drinks a Merlot

or maybe they should bring in Jack Welch and use Six-Sigma principles to lead them deeper into a hole.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 01, 2012, 01:44:16 PM
Yeah, I think Norman Vincent Peale would not have been as current.   
Wonder if the halftime speeches invoke Zig Ziglar and maybe Bluto Blutarski.....?     
Did America give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?......NO!!     When the going gets tough...........the tough get going!!    Who's with me?   

Yeah Bluto might say..."if we don't win then great, seven years of college down the drain"

vuweathernerd

Quote from: covufan on October 31, 2012, 05:50:00 PM
Well, picking them to finish close hasn't worked.  Maybe if I pick them to win the game will be close?

Valpo 27
Campbell 23

if that's your reasoning, i'd say pick them to win big. maybe then they'll win. ;)

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on November 01, 2012, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: covufan on October 31, 2012, 05:50:00 PM

Valpo 27
Campbell 23

if that's your reasoning, i'd say pick them to win big. maybe then they'll win. ;)

Let's not get carried away  :lol:

HC

crusadermoe

Wow......I missed the first post in this thread.    Their quarterback's name is "Dakota Wolf".       
Finally the story angle that the national announcers for the Sagarin Bowl are looking for: Who wins this one? 
.....our bleery eyed heatstroke-stricken deserting Crusader (played by Kevin Costner) ?......
.........or "Dakota Wolf" and a supporting cast of camels?