• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Football Coach

Started by setshot, December 06, 2012, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

I somehow missed the announcement about the firing of Carlson and the hiring of a new coach. Will someone please reprint the article. Thanks!

crusadermoe

You might have heard it wrong.   He was hired away by Wisconsin. 

bbtds

VALPARAISO | Mike Ditka received a lengthy round of applause before taking the podium on Thursday afternoon and laying out his plan to transform the football culture at Valparaiso University.

Ditka, who was named the 17th head coach in school history, said he immediately will begin rebuilding a program that went 2-31 in the last three years under former coach Dale Carlson.

Ditka arrives at Valparaiso from the hospital and the Chicago Bears, where he was named the "Who You Crappin" Football Coach of the Year.

"This is a new day for Crusader football," Ditka said. "From this day forward, we aspire for nothing but greatness, both on and off the field."

Valparaiso director of athletics Mark LaBarbera introduced Ditka, saying that he authorized the hire after a national search by an appointed committee that included several faculty and staff members as well as sophomore quarterback, Eric Hoffman.

"We had well over 10 people express interest, and I'm thankful for the search committee and they work they did to help out," LaBarbera said. "Coach Ditka's resume itself stood out. We knew he had kicked butt at programs and that was very attractive to us."

Ditka mentioned several coaching mentors, including George Halas, who helped Ditka get his first coaching job.

Halas was the coach of the Chicago Bears a long time ago.

Ditka said he would not keep any of the previous coach's assistants because they were generally all a bunch of pussies.

"We're in that process right now," Ditka said. "I met with the coaches today, and had to fire them all. Mark LaBarbera said I did such a good job I could fire the current coach, Carlson too."

One of the toughest hurdles Ditka faces is in regards to recruiting. While most programs have been working on their upcoming recruiting classes for months now, Ditka and his staff will be getting a late start, and without the benefit of scholarships.

"I don't view it as a handicap because there are so many smart people here," Ditka said. "The biggest thing we have to do here is change the culture. I don't care if it's scholarship or non-scholarship, we're a Division I football program and we're going to kick some butt."

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on December 06, 2012, 05:00:32 PM
VALPARAISO | Mike Ditka received a lengthy round of applause before taking the podium on Thursday afternoon and laying out his plan to transform the football culture at Valparaiso University.

Ditka, who was named the 17th head coach in school history, said he immediately will begin rebuilding a program that went 2-31 in the last three years under former coach Dale Carlson.

Ditka arrives at Valparaiso from the hospital and the Chicago Bears, where he was named the "Who You Crappin" Football Coach of the Year.

"This is a new day for Crusader football," Ditka said. "From this day forward, we aspire for nothing but greatness, both on and off the field."

Valparaiso director of athletics Mark LaBarbera introduced Ditka, saying that he authorized the hire after a national search by an appointed committee that included several faculty and staff members as well as sophomore quarterback, Eric Hoffman.

"We had well over 10 people express interest, and I'm thankful for the search committee and they work they did to help out," LaBarbera said. "Coach Ditka's resume itself stood out. We knew he had kicked butt at programs and that was very attractive to us."

Ditka mentioned several coaching mentors, including George Halas, who helped Ditka get his first coaching job.

Ditka said he would not keep any of the previous coach's assistants because they were generally all a bunch of pussies.

"We're in that process right now," Ditka said. "I met with the coaches today, and had to fire them all. Mark LaBarbera said I did such a good job I could fire the current coach, Carlson too."

One of the toughest hurdles Ditka faces is in regards to recruiting. While most programs have been working on their upcoming recruiting classes for months now, Ditka and his staff will be getting a late start, and without the benefit of scholarships.

"I don't view it as a handicap because there are so many smart people here," Ditka said. "The biggest thing we have to do here is change the culture. I don't care if it's scholarship or non-scholarship, we're a Division I football program and we're going to kick some butt."

This needs to go to the Torch version of The Onion! :rotfl:

setshot

vuweathernerd

i don't suppose there's any hope that this is real, is there?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on December 06, 2012, 05:43:09 PMThis needs to go to the Torch version of The Onion!

The Scorch?

Seriously, bro, this is the article equivalent of 'Saders' Hitler video.  Well done.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

So is Buddy Ryan going to be the new defensive coordinator?  Greg Landry at quarterback coach?  Produce the "Brown and Gold" shuffle midway through the season?

da Coach with a Cohiba in his mouth taking controlsof the sidelines at Brown Field.  That would be a beautiful thing.  Think of all the season tickets you would sell!  The post game press conference after getting spanked by Butler would be legendary.

LaPorteAveApostle

Who would win a game between Ditka and Youngstown St?

How many heart attacks does that make for you, MLB?
That makes a bakersss dozen, Todd Ickow.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

crusadermoe

OK....let's say that on one side of the line of scrimmage we have 5 guys weighing 300 lbs each and 6 guys who run their forty yd dash faster than our best guy.

On the other side of the ball you have 11 guys and Ditka.......    Who wins?   

covufan

Quote from: covufan on December 06, 2012, 05:43:09 PM

Now that we are looking for a new coach, I ran across this and think it needs to be reposted!

usc4valpo

I am so very thankful this was brought up. We could only dream.   If I could wish anything to best improve the Valpo football situation, this would be it.  Imagine it.  Chicago parents would push their kids to come to Valpo and play on the green artificial Brown Field turf.   Coach can build a restaurant that is attached to the Union where we can celebrate our victories with a Merlot and a Cohiba.  Imagine the press conferences with MLB and Heckler.  The Score 670 would  have daily updates from the ARC.  What a glorious time this would be!!!

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on November 18, 2013, 02:13:18 PM
Quote from: covufan on December 06, 2012, 05:43:09 PM

Now that we are looking for a new coach, I ran across this and think it needs to be reposted!

Yikes! That comes across now a lot different than it was meant to. There was a lot of hidden anger unleashed at the AD and athletic dept that shouldn't have been. I'm all for ML in this situation if he keeps pushing the powers that be to keep the momentum for change and commitment to excellence flowing. 

I want to repeat. I'm all for ML in this situation.

Valpo89

How about Ditka, with Will Ferrell as his top assistant?

(Obscure movie reference, "Kicking and Screaming"),

usc4valpo

it is fine bbtds.  No need to defend.  You have to have some fun and joke around after 4 years of futility.  We want coach!!!  We would once again have Superfan skits on SNL where they are wearing Valpo gear - it would be great exposure to the school.  "Ditka over Butler 104 to 6."