• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/29, 2:00 p.m. Valpo @ Murray State Game Thread

Started by DMvalpo18, December 21, 2012, 02:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMvalpo18

I know I'm jumping the gun by starting this thread, and I'm sure there will be a different, more official one than mine, but I still wanted to start talking about this now. What do you guys think about our chances at Murray State? Our performance against Nebraska and St. Louis was plagued by poor shooting. Against New Mexico, we had improvement, but still we lacked firepower as Rowdy was really the only one who brought his offensive game that night. Assuming we roll over Purdue-Cal (as if there is a scenario where it won't happen), how do we look going into the game?

wh

I haven't yet taken the time to learn about Murray State, but I will say that I'm more optimistic now than I would have been yesterday at this time.  I like the line-up changes Bryce has made and have a feeling that it will pay dividends down the road - hopefully sooner rather than later.

VULB#62

This is not about Murray but I thought I'd stick it here rather than start a thread with only a few hours remaining.  FYI Purdue Calumet will play a league game tonight vs. Purdue-North Central and 18 hours later play Valpo.  Ludicrous.

Now, back to Murray State.

vuchicago

It will be an interesting matchup between Canaan and Buggs on defense for sure.....
Kenney, Boggs or Dority wil need a big game to help out Rowdy to keep it close.  Should be a fun game.

DMvalpo18

Do you guys think Dority adds enough offense to supplement Ryan? In other words, if both of those guys have a good game, Kevin has at least a decent game, and then you get a few triples here and there between guys like Boggs, Kenney, and Bogan, is that a good enough recipe to beat Murray State? I certainly have not looked into how good they are this year, so I have no idea.

bbtds

If your looking to scout Murray State and have ESPN 3 you can watch their game against Arkansas State at Jonesboro, AR on Wednesday:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/737911/size/condensed/

Also the Sunday, 12/16/12 game against Western Kentucky in Murray, KY:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/688401/size/condensed/

By the way this Valpo at Murray State game is an ESPN 3 exclusive next Saturday.

HC

I've watched Murray play twice, and I can't wait to see KVw bang against their big guy with the fro! We will need to contest those 3s closely and grab up those long rebounds.

milanmiracle

Even with the lineup changes...not happening. They're just a better team right now.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

DMvalpo18

Quote from: HC on December 21, 2012, 09:45:22 PM
I've watched Murray play twice, and I can't wait to see KVw bang against their big guy with the fro! We will need to contest those 3s closely and grab up those long rebounds.

They still have the fro guy?! I thought he graduated. Ed Daniel I think is his name.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: bbtds on December 21, 2012, 09:24:21 PM
If your looking to scout Murray State and have ESPN 3 you can watch their game against Arkansas State at Jonesboro, AR on Wednesday:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/737911/size/condensed/

Also the Sunday, 12/16/12 game against Western Kentucky in Murray, KY:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/688401/size/condensed/

By the way this Valpo at Murray State game is an ESPN 3 exclusive next Saturday.

And to this -  :thumbsup: :)

bbtds

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on December 21, 2012, 11:37:51 PM
Quote from: HC on December 21, 2012, 09:45:22 PM

They still have the fro guy?! I thought he graduated. Ed Daniel I think is his name.

The 6'7" 228 lb Birmingham, AL native is a senior this year.

http://goracers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3072&path=mbball

LaPorteAveApostle

I miss Ben Wallace.  (obviously a pistons fan, not a bulls fan.)

RPIForecast says MSU by 8; VU a 25% chance of the upset--interestingly the exact same spread/percentage as the us at UIC game...

(On the plus side, 97% chance of beating UWM at home!:) (!!!)

RealTimeRPI says MSU by 13--also MSU's RPI rank!  Interestingly, not the worst loss we are predicted to take--that's by 15 at UIC...

Obvious observation is obvious:  This is the big-time win we need.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Getting a view of the Murray State arena above I wondered how many it seats.

http://www.murraystate.edu/cfsbcenter/venue.htm

The CFSB Center has an 8,500 capacity. Valpo could support a slightly smaller venue that I hope would look much like this basketball facility.

http://goracers.com/sports/2005/12/13/356453001.aspx?path=mbball

"Since 1998, the Racers have enjoyed a big home court advantage as Murray State is among the best in the nation with an outstanding winning percentage. The Racers were 15-0 at the CFSB Center in the 2009-10 season."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Murray State leads Dayton at halftime 41-36. Canaan has 15 pts on 2 of 3 threes and 9 of 9 FT's. Daniel has 9 pts on 3 of 4 FG's and 3 of 6 FT's (now Valpo knows who to foul). Fields has 6 pts also on 2 of 3 threes. Team totals are 6 of 12 threes, 11 of 23 FG's and 8 turnovers. Daniel has most of the turnovers as he has been having trouble getting to the basket with Dayton's defender all over him. The Murray State coach, Steve Prohm, has been battling the refs to get the fouls called on Daniel's defender.

valporun

With 1:12 left in Dayton, it looks like the wind might be out of Murray State's sails...down to the Flyers, 71-62. Dayton is currently on a 12-2 over the last 3:15. Daniel has a double-double with 13pts and 12 boards. Canaan has been stuck on 18 points for awhile now.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 22, 2012, 08:02:54 AM
I miss Ben Wallace.  (obviously a pistons fan, not a bulls fan.)

RPIForecast says MSU by 8; VU a 25% chance of the upset--interestingly the exact same spread/percentage as the us at UIC game...

(On the plus side, 97% chance of beating UWM at home!:) (!!!)

RealTimeRPI says MSU by 13--also MSU's RPI rank!  Interestingly, not the worst loss we are predicted to take--that's by 15 at UIC...

Obvious observation is obvious:  This is the big-time win we need.

I know UIC is up this year, but we are predicted to lose to them by 15 points? What happened?

LaPorteAveApostle

And we are to win 64-63 at home.

well, it's just the computers.  we'll take another look when conference season is about to start.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

DM, I'm sure that computer rendering of how UIC should beat us by 15 was before the Flames started to get some tough games coming. I'm sure the two games against UIC will be a lot closer than they've been recently, but I'm not sure that we'll see a 15 point blowout, unless they fall apart, or we IMPLODE!

talksalot

UIC loses to Western Illinois by 16 and today loses by 12 to Miami (OH)... speaking of wind out of the sails!  I was told today that tickets are impossible for the VU game at the Pavilion...

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 22, 2012, 06:18:49 PM
speaking of wind out of the sails!  I was told today that tickets are impossible for the VU game at the Pavilion...
There are seats in section 106 ($23.78 per seat-$18 plus $5.78 ticketmaster fees) and section 108 ($20.67 per seat-$15 plus $5.67 ticketmaster fees) per the Ticketmaster website for the Valpo at UIC game on Jan. 9 as of today/Saturday.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04004926D5085F85?artistid=843544&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7

HC

Quote from: talksalot on December 22, 2012, 06:18:49 PMUIC loses to Western Illinois by 16 and today loses by 12 to Miami (OH)... speaking of wind out of the sails!  I was told today that tickets are impossible for the VU game at the Pavilion...

I tweeted earlier today that UIC's record is a fraud.  They are waking up from their dream start, just in time for the start of the conference season!

crusadermoe

New Mexico lost at home to an underdog from the summit...SOUTH DAKOTA STATE. 
So...that will drop them a lot in the numbers ranking. 

valpopal

As we await the game with Murray State after this week-long break, I have posted a number of new pictures from last week's home games to my Valpo basketball photo blog, including the ones below, and the total is now about 125 (see signature below for URL). A few folks have messaged me about use of the photos, and you certainly have permission to copy them for personal purposes. Please feel free to check out all the photos during the lull of this week off from games. Merry Christmas to all!

valpotx

I just can't see us getting any quality road wins for a few years:

Murray State 67
Valpo 62
"Don't mess with Texas"