• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/19/2013: Valpo @ Loyola

Started by ValpoHoops, February 17, 2013, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: KL31NY on February 20, 2013, 02:48:48 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
So I listened to the first half and started to watch the Blackhawks game after we went into the half with a 15 point lead.  I followed the game on twitter until I saw it was tied.  Started listening to the game again and they went on their run to raise the lead back up to 12.  Looking at the PBP it appears that we only allowed 2 points off TOs in the second half and that was after we had built the lead back up to 10. It's concerning that its happened twice in a row, but I'm hoping it's more of a fluke than a trend.
Against Loyola, it was basically trading the mythical "hot hand;" They erased a 15-point deficit in first 9 minutes of the 2nd half because they could score and we did not (Valpo made one basket during that string). Then we scored on 11 straight possessions, got the lead back in double figures, and it was pretty safe the rest of the way.

Yes, the way it went is that Valpo slowed down a lot on scoring and started that dreaded turnover game. Loyola on the other hand was as hot as they were at the end of the first half. At the same time as Loyola was hot in the first half Valpo was also shooting red hot (especially Bogan & Kenney-they really had some great offensive games). Therefore Loyola did not make up much ground in the first half but they shot just as well as they did in the beginning of the second half.

Then Valpo turned the tide by working both inside and getting a hot shooting hand again. Also it should never be forgotten that Buggs really ignites that offense with his speed and excellent ball handling. Also Dority kept up the great play when Buggs went out.

valpotx

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 20, 2013, 03:47:41 PM
So I listened to the first half and started to watch the Blackhawks game after we went into the half with a 15 point lead.  I followed the game on twitter until I saw it was tied.  Started listening to the game again and they went on their run to raise the lead back up to 12.  Looking at the PBP it appears that we only allowed 2 points off TOs in the second half and that was after we had built the lead back up to 10. It's concerning that its happened twice in a row, but I'm hoping it's more of a fluke than a trend.

you are officially required to listen to every game from here on out. no more jinxing by changing the channel for you! ;)

I believe that I warned you on chat that the result would be on your head.  You almost lost it for us....  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

So I'm not sure how accurate the PBP from ESPN is, but this is what the players who were on the court did during Loyola's 19-4 run.

Ben Boggs   2 TO, 2 PF
Bobby Capobianco   1 Reb
Erik Buggs   0-2 FG, 1 Reb, 1 Ast, 1 TO
LaVonte Dority   1 PF
Kevin Van Wijk   0-1 FG, 1-2 FT, 1 PF
Matt Kenney   0-1 FG, 2 Reb, 1 Stl, 1 Blk, 1 TO, 1 PF
Ryan Broekhoff   0-3 FG, 1 Reb, 1 PF
Will Bogan   1-3 FG

Now I'm not sure which one of these stat lines were so impressive (maybe Kenney's stat filling line?) to keep Coleman on the bench, or what Coleman could have done off the court (if it is actually disciplinary, which both beats have said it's not), but it seems ridiculous you couldn't shake things up and bring in one of the better shooters and more active players on the team. I was extremely impressed with how Coleman played against UIC and Youngstown, it's mindboggling to me why he can't see some action.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

that's what makes me think "in-house" (i.e. Bryce keeping it to himself) disciplinary.

OR

we could just take it at face value and Bryce is figuring out who he's going to roll with in the postseason and it means a bigger lineup.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Since rolling with 8 players is wise when we always have foul trouble
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 04:25:20 PMI was extremely impressed with how Coleman played against UIC and Youngstown, it's mindboggling to me why he can't see some action.
I am not too surprised that his minutes would fall in this difficult stretch of the season, but I too was not expecting him to disappear. I would like to think he could get a little playing time vs EK and maybe a significant amount vs YSU. If he doesn't  then we are almost forced to conclude that there is some kind of health or doghouse issue.

wh

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 04:25:20 PM
So I'm not sure how accurate the PBP from ESPN is, but this is what the players who were on the court did during Loyola's 19-4 run.

Ben Boggs   2 TO, 2 PF
Bobby Capobianco   1 Reb
Erik Buggs   0-2 FG, 1 Reb, 1 Ast, 1 TO
LaVonte Dority   1 PF
Kevin Van Wijk   0-1 FG, 1-2 FT, 1 PF
Matt Kenney   0-1 FG, 2 Reb, 1 Stl, 1 Blk, 1 TO, 1 PF
Ryan Broekhoff   0-3 FG, 1 Reb, 1 PF
Will Bogan   1-3 FG

Now I'm not sure which one of these stat lines were so impressive (maybe Kenney's stat filling line?) to keep Coleman on the bench, or what Coleman could have done off the court (if it is actually disciplinary, which both beats have said it's not), but it seems ridiculous you couldn't shake things up and bring in one of the better shooters and more active players on the team. I was extremely impressed with how Coleman played against UIC and Youngstown, it's mindboggling to me why he can't see some action.

I think we are missing the larger point.  The Detroit and Loyola comebacks were far more about terrible Valpo defense than inept Valpo offense.  Without checking for accuracy, we gave up an amazing 58 points to Detroit in the 2nd half, and followed that up with an even more ridiculous 49 points against an offensively challenged Loyola team minus 2 starters.  We were constantly beaten off the dribble for easy hoops or out of position fouls.  Our zone was porous and slow to react.  How many times did Loyola throw the ball underneath to someone totally unguarded, followed by that "who should have had him" deer in the headlight look by our interior defenders?  Could Minerath have been more wide open for free throw line jump shots?  Loyola killed us on the offensive boards possession after possession because we didn't make the effort to block out.  We looked tired, confused, and slow.  The effort was not there - plain and simple.  Neither game should have been close, despite the offensive lapses. The old expression that good offense begins with good defense works the other way, as well.  Bad defense translates into bad offense.  This team needs to rededicate itself to playing 40 minutes of hard-nosed, in-your-face defense, and quick looking at the scoreboard to determine how much effort to give.  The fact that this is an issue nearly 30 games into the season on a talented, experienced team that is supposedly on a mission defies any logic. 

LaPorteAveApostle

I think I nominated someone prior to this for post of the year.

This is the second nominee.

(are they both wh?)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on February 20, 2013, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 20, 2013, 03:47:41 PM

you are officially required to listen to every game from here on out. no more jinxing by changing the channel for you! ;)

I believe that I warned you on chat that the result would be on your head.  You almost lost it for us....  :)

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons. :) so I'm safe.

StlVUFan

I keep telling you, close also counts in Drive-In movies.

LaPorteAveApostle

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 20, 2013, 08:10:40 PM
I think I nominated someone prior to this for post of the year.

This is the second nominee.

(are they both wh?)

I think the first was one of mine.

Valpo2010

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not...a post-game wrap-up from the Chicago Tribune.  Including a video clip from Bryce's post game press conference. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0220-loyola-basketball--20130220,0,6785818.story

agibson

Ah - hadn't seen the video.  But, it was good to see that Loyola got two "beat" stories from their perspective, as we did.

talksalot

OK.. I'll throw some kudo's to Ben Averkamp... Today he was named Loyola's first Academic All American for men's basketball.  That's a heckuvan accomplishment...