• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruits

Started by covufan, March 09, 2011, 11:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMvalpo18

Quote from: cmack on March 31, 2011, 09:29:00 PM
You did identify the 2 best options.  I do feel Vucic to be a total loss even if he were 10 feet tall.  I am not sure other than height what our coaching staff saw in him when they went to see him play.   Poor Tommie,  like him, but I don't see him moving ahead of anyone on the depth chart over the next 3 years.  I just don't see how the redshirt year helps him.  He is a slower Buggs which we have established as a liability on offense unless he finds a perimeter shot.

in all fairness, i don't think we have anybody else as fast as buggs. still, i wonder if he will be able to consistently hit some outside shots. that would certainly make a more dangerous offensive threat.

mj

I agree that we might be better off without Vucic. It's nice that he's tall but he's missing the athleticism. Besides Alec Brown (which is the best case scenario for Vucic) I can't think of another player we faced similar to Vucic (tall, skinner, not that athletic). I'd rather see us bring in another player that is a little more athletic and might be able to help right away.

I disagree about Kurth. He was ranked an 83 by ESPN coming out of HS and they noted his athleticism(see the common theme here?). I know his freshman season was rough but I think he might be the type of player to break out, especially if he gains the confidence to start shooting.

Before taking into account new players, I think our roster is better than middle of the pack. Especially considering what other teams in the league lost to graduation.
I believe that we will win.

milanmiracle

Quote from: rlh on March 31, 2011, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: cmack on March 31, 2011, 09:29:00 PM
You did identify the 2 best options.  I do feel Vucic to be a total loss even if he were 10 feet tall.  I am not sure other than height what our coaching staff saw in him when they went to see him play.   Poor Tommie,  like him, but I don't see him moving ahead of anyone on the depth chart over the next 3 years.  I just don't see how the redshirt year helps him.  He is a slower Buggs which we have established as a liability on offense unless he finds a perimeter shot.
So you're answer is to force players to leave.  FYI, the coaches meet with each player individually and tell them where they stand in their minds and what they think they need do to improve.  If the player then decides it's best for them to leave for somewhere else, that's certainly understandable.....BUT I would hate for us to become one of those schools who force kids to leave.  If that's what you want, then you need to find another school to support.

I think there's a difference between forcing a player to leave and letting them know they'll never see the court as long as they stay. Semantics? Yes. Reality? Maybe.

I can't say for certain what happened with Halvorsen, but that sure seemed like what was going on. He played for a few minutes early on, and then never played again, even during blowouts. Then, like the wind, he was gone. I know he was injured some of that time, but I think the writing was on the wall.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 01, 2011, 10:23:11 PM

I can't say for certain what happened with Halvorsen, but that sure seemed like what was going on. He played for a few minutes early on, and then never played again, even during blowouts. Then, like the wind, he was gone. I know he was injured some of that time, but I think the writing was on the wall.

If Halvorson sees more floor time at Minnesota than at Valpo I will be surprised.

milanmiracle

Quote from: bbtds on April 02, 2011, 07:33:34 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on April 01, 2011, 10:23:11 PM

If Halvorson sees more floor time at Minnesota than at Valpo I will be surprised.

I won't be too surprised if he sees more time at Minnesota than VU. He'll get those minutes during blowout wins against Southeast Northwest Middle of Nowhere State University - Springfield. I don't expect him to do much other than be a nice player to have in practice
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

mj

Valpo was in the hunt but Damion Lee chose Drexel recently. A 6'4" small forward, he seemed to have some talent but he wasn't the big man that we need.
I believe that we will win.

valpofan11

We won't have Filer next year because he's going to Brewster Prep in NH.

valpo84

Maybe we should be hiring Northwestern's assistant coach to help with big guy recruiting. (And yes I know he went to Valpo, and yes he once was an assistant; he's doing a great job at NW).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-two-big-men-commit-to-northwestern-20110412,0,7122549.story
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

I didn't realize Vujic was at Northwestern (DePaul befoer that?) - cool!  Nor that he didn't graduate, but finished his degree while an assistant at Valpo.

tommydee

there is a big difference between NW and Valpo.....and a big difference between 40,000$ and 80 to 90000$.     lol

walldozer

Just throwing this out there, but do you think that Valpo might have any chance with Garrick Sherman the Michigan State Center that just left MSU's program?  Searching the internet a bit, it sounds like there might be some MAC schools on the radar for him (among many other spots he might land).  Also, interestingly, I saw a message board post (so please take it for what it is worth) that said his fiancee that attends IUPFW and he may want to stay close to her.

I may be dreaming here, but Sherman would be an absolutley perfect pick up for Valpo's program and we have been getting a lot of transfers similar to this in recent years.

milanmiracle

Quote from: walldozer on April 18, 2011, 09:35:51 AM
Just throwing this out there, but do you think that Valpo might have any chance with Garrick Sherman the Michigan State Center that just left MSU's program?  Searching the internet a bit, it sounds like there might be some MAC schools on the radar for him (among many other spots he might land).  Also, interestingly, I saw a message board post (so please take it for what it is worth) that said his fiancee that attends IUPFW and he may want to stay close to her.

I may be dreaming here, but Sherman would be an absolutley perfect pick up for Valpo's program and we have been getting a lot of transfers similar to this in recent years.

From the sounds of it, Notre Dame is a likely landing point. According to the article, Butler is in the mix as well, though it doesn't sound likely.

http://blogs.indystar.com/butler/2011/04/15/dawg-recruiting-update/

walldozer

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 18, 2011, 10:58:08 AM
Quote from: walldozer on April 18, 2011, 09:35:51 AM
Just throwing this out there, but do you think that Valpo might have any chance with Garrick Sherman the Michigan State Center that just left MSU's program?  Searching the internet a bit, it sounds like there might be some MAC schools on the radar for him (among many other spots he might land).  Also, interestingly, I saw a message board post (so please take it for what it is worth) that said his fiancee that attends IUPFW and he may want to stay close to her.

From the sounds of it, Notre Dame is a likely landing point. According to the article, Butler is in the mix as well, though it doesn't sound likely.

Shoot!  Wishful thinking on my part.

sliman

How about a trade:  Wood for Sherman?     :-)

walldozer

Quote from: sliman on April 20, 2011, 10:41:30 AM

Funny, I was just thinking that myself.

milanmiracle

Quote from: walldozer on April 20, 2011, 12:38:12 PM

While I am one of the people screaming for a big man, that's a trade I would not make. I wouldn't trade Wood for much of anything.

walldozer

Quote from: milanmiracle on April 20, 2011, 06:41:00 PM
Quote from: walldozer on April 20, 2011, 12:38:12 PM
How about a trade:  Wood for Sherman?     :-)

While I am one of the people screaming for a big man, that's a trade I would not make. I wouldn't trade Wood for much of anything.

You are right.  I do not want to loose Wood myself and I am hoping that he comes back to good old Valpo.  The thought of the Shermanator to Valpo makes me drool.  The thought of Wood to anywhere makes me cry.  It just made me smile to think that if MSU were going to get Wood from us, the least they could do would be to send Sherman our way to help with our loss.  :-)  Bottom line STAY Brandon, Brandon STAY!!  We need more Wood!!  

valpospartan

I just can't see any upside for Michigan State to take Brandon. and I mean absolutely nothing negative towards him.  Tom Izzo has a ridiculous number of set plays, which could take a while to get comfortable with.  I think his playing time would be reduced, which defeats the purpose of transferring.

VU75

Today' s Trib had  a story on DePaul point guard Mike Bizoukas from Muster.  He's a redshirt junior who will graduate in June with another year of eligibility  has been told that his scholarship will not be renewed for a fifth year, (he was recruited by the previous coach).  Bizoukas will be able to play next year as a Grad School student and has been contacted by UIC and Loyola-Maryland.  He  is is quoted in the story as saying that he has heard that Valpo is also interested. 

wh

Quote from: VU75 on April 22, 2011, 06:44:36 PM
He  is is quoted in the story as saying that he has heard that Valpo is also interested. 

I seriously doubt it.  He averaged 1 ppg this season, 0 starts, and shot 35% from the field on possibly the worst D-1 Major in the country.  On a good night we would have beaten DePaul by 15-20 points.   

rlh

Coming out of high school, VU showed some interest....and he was definitely interested in the Crusaders.  They never offered him although he was their's for the taking, or so I'm told.  He can't beat out the guys we have, so would not be a good get for us.  He's  a prime example of what I was saying in an earlier discussion, I'd hate to see us get the point of not renewing guys scholarships just because they are not the player we were hoping they would be...he gave them three years of play, and just because there is a new coach should have at least been allowed to finish.  I have a problem with this type of thing and hope we never get into it. 

valpospartan

Quote from: rlh on April 22, 2011, 08:10:48 PM
Coming out of high school, VU showed some interest....and he was definitely interested in the Crusaders.  They never offered him although he was their's for the taking, or so I'm told.  He can't beat out the guys we have, so would not be a good get for us.  He's  a prime example of what I was saying in an earlier discussion, I'd hate to see us get the point of not renewing guys scholarships just because they are not the player we were hoping they would be...he gave them three years of play, and just because there is a new coach should have at least been allowed to finish.  I have a problem with this type of thing and hope we never get into it. 

Me to, rlh!

sectionee

I don't know, I don't really see an issue with DePaul telling him his scholarship is gone since he is graduating.  It is not like they are taking it away after two years and leaving him stuck to finish paying his own way through school. 

valpo84

Twitterverse reporting Sherman to ND:

tnoie Thomas R. Noie by goodmanonfox
#NotreDame has picked up a commitment tonight.....from Garrick Sherman, a transfer from Michigan State.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

IndyValpo

Bizoukas has plenty of options
By Mike Hutton on May 3, 2011 3:17 PM

Munster graduate Mike Bizoukas has offers from Creighton, Missouri State, Valparaiso University, UIC, Wright State, Loyola of Chicago, Western Kentucky and Loyola of Maryland, according to his father, Nick Bizoukas.

Bizoukas was released from the final year of scholarship from DePaul last month.

No word yet on when Bizoukas will make a final decision.