• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2014, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: HC on January 22, 2014, 04:07:13 PM
I can only calculate PPS if I have statistics to look at, usually all I have to look at are box scores at the end of halves, games, and season stats.

Chef seems like the perfect person to give you insight on Nickerson. I'm hoping he is a Jordan Fouse type player with a better jumper.

More likely a bigger version of Jordan Coleman

if he's a Fouse type player I will love having him on the team for 2 years and will gladly plug him at the 4 with Alec manning the 3.  If he's a bigger version of Coleman, then I'd love to see him play the 3 with Alec bulking up and taking over stretch 4 duties, so long as we have a 6'10" true 5. I think Alec projects better as a 3 personally, but I also thought Rowdy was a stretch 4 in a three guard system and both he and KVW would have benefited from playing with a true 5.

I would love to see us use a 2 PG system next season with Carter and Lexus starting and the Canadian Duo backing them up. From what I've seen all 4 of them can hit outside shots, handle the ball and when Carter and Lexus have played (very limited) minutes together they can defend either guard position. I don't know what the Canadians bring in terms of defense but even if we play a 2-3 zone with them in I feel they are quick and long enough to cover the top.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

justducky

Quote from: justducky on January 22, 2014, 03:09:39 PMI want Chef to stay out of this one so that he doesn't get us all confused like he did with Carter.   
Quote from: HC on January 22, 2014, 04:07:13 PMChef seems like the perfect person to give you insight on Nickerson.
No, no, no, I'm sticking to my guns on this one. In fact whenever I see that he has logged in I stick my fingers in my ears and keep my eyes closed just so I don't pick up any misinformation. It's like listening to a presidential candidates debate where the closer you listen and the more details that you hear the dumber you then become.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2014, 03:36:16 PM
I'll jump in and defend our good friend chef. He said Carter was a special talent and based on just his last game he certainly showed the skill level associated with the term "special". He can defend and steal like Buggs , pass as well as anyone and also shoots and drives better then anyone not named Dority. He has played what, five games? He will be a total stud by this time next year.

Yes, I incorrectly attributed a comment that 'KC is the best player on the team' to Chef instead of Paul Oren (by his own admission).  Either way I'm thankful that they're willing to share their insights, most of which prove to be very accurate and certainly better than mine. 

That said the thread I started about butler being in over their head in the Big East after an 0-3 start (even though they had a very good OOC record) is proving to be very insightful now that they're 1-6. Of course I take no delight in their misery because they've always been one of my all time favorite programs with the Butler Way and all that good stuff that they and only they have the insight to understand and intertwine with the game of basketball. It's an honor to think that we were once one of their stepping stones.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on January 22, 2014, 03:09:39 PMCorrect me if I am wrong but I think that part of the reason that Nickerson, and Peters and Adekoya came to Valpo was so they could get a chance to play the 3. On top of that Yeo is at the moment a better 3 than he is a 2. So since Drew does not appear to be a true 4 maybe we need to evaluate our returning 3's before we recruite any more.
Ok, can we conclude anything about the need or lack of need to recruit Jared Drew? It really all comes down to the coaches observations and evaluations. If they believe Nickerson will never be a good 3 point shooter, and that Peters' potential to develop into a very high quality very big 3 is limited then maybe we should take a closer look at this guy. Otherwise we might see a lot more of Yeo next year (at the 3) than any of us now think. If they do go after and land a highly recruited 3 (maybe Drew?) then it might speak volumes about what they think they have seen on the court during the course of the season.

wh

I think Bryce is looking for bigs and said as much recently. That said if a "special" talent at another position shows up at our door step, anything is possible.

classof2014

LuWane Pipkins broke the Bogan High School record he set a few weeks ago for most points in a game by scoring 46 against Harlan. He definitely sounds like a good one. For some reason though, I think bigger schools will soon show interest in Pipkins. Nonetheless, it would be nice to have him in two years, since he's setting these records as only a junior.

historyman

Did anyone know that Coach Cookie is a Bogan graduate?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vufan75

A tweet I ran across on from Roy Schmidt from Illinois Prep Bullseye from a couple days ago.

"Valparaiso has been ALL OVER Chicago area when it comes to recruiting. ACs Matt Lottich & Luke Gore watched Morton's Weisnar Perez tonight."

Smj

Weisnar Perez listed schools he was interested in during a post-game interview and Valpo made the list. ...   However, he said much more about Hampton and Akron.

Weisner Perez Talks Improved Perimeter Game & Recruiting: (mobile video link)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLkGnh6kNGY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGLkGnh6kNGY

vufan75

Quote from: Smj on February 13, 2014, 07:29:30 AM
Weisnar Perez listed schools he was interested in during a post-game interview and Valpo made the list. ...   However, he said much more about Hampton and Akron.

Weisner Perez Talks Improved Perimeter Game & Recruiting: (mobile video link)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GLkGnh6kNGY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGLkGnh6kNGY

You are correct. Also found this on twitter regarding Weisnar (not sure if Weisner or Weisnar, have seen it spelled both ways) Perez. It seems to me from this info if accurate that he is being targeted by Valpo. Will have to wait and see if the coaches are successful in his recruitment or not. But visiting campus gives us hope anyway....

Retweeted by Weisner Perez
Illinois Stars 17U‏@CoachILStarsAAU·Jan 18
Illinois Stars combo forward Weisner Perez taking an unofficial at Valpo today.  This is his 2nd visit to Valpo in 3 months.

Smj

Haha, You saw it spelled both ways. .... in my post.

valpotx

Interesting that he mentions Hampton and Akron.  I also see that Loyola has picked up on their recruiting of him.  If we can't beat out Hampton or Loyola, there is something wrong.  Good to see that we are heavily recruiting Chicago again!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on February 13, 2014, 10:57:00 AMIf we can't beat out Hampton or Loyola, there is something wrong.
franticnodding.gif

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2013/12/26/weisner-perezs-well-rounded-game-paying-off-for-morton-basketball/ai0d54e/
His brother is playing at the U of Chicago, so clearly an intelligent family.

6-6, 205 as a HS jr?  Yes please.

Also, surprisingly clean twitter feed.  (PRISTINE for a heavily recruited basketball player.)
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/weisner-perez
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

Another chicagohoops.com article written by Scott Burgess on 2015 recruit Weisner Perez. He and his parents visited Valpo recently for the Cleveland State game. It was his 3rd visit to Valpo. He looks to be a serious 2015 recruiting priority for Valpo based on this article. The coaching staff is following him closely.

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/3082-weisner-perez-talks-valpo-visit

Weisner Perez Talks Valpo Visit

Category: Latest News Published on Friday, 07 March 2014 13:07 Written by Scott Burgess

Morton junior small forward Weisner Perez is primed for a breakout spring and summer after a productive high school season.  Perez is a strong and physical wing that is a dominant rebounder and plus defender.  He can score around the basket consistently and the biggest development this season has been in his perimeter game.  As a junior he has improved his lefty jump shot and can put multiple moves together to take his man off the bounce.

One of the programs that is starting to take a lot of interest in him is Valparaiso.  He recently took another visit to see them play.

"First my parents and I sat and watched them go head to head vs Cleveland State.  It was an impressive game and very tough basketball.  Then after got to go back in coach's office and talked to all the coaches.  The head coach sat my parents and I in his office and talked of the program and how he will see me soon.  He broke down how he likes what he has seen on film and assistant coaches have been out to see me several times and like me as well."

Perez spoke about what stands out with Valpo.

"What impressed me is the unity that the team showed and family like atmosphere all the coaches and team had after the game.  Also the energy the games have and the atmosphere really impressed me!"

After multiple trips to campus he has built a tight relationship with the staff.

"Coach Drew, with it being my third time there, they have really made a good feeling with me and a connection with my parents.  Also assistants Gore and Lottich have been out to see me a lot and I feel like I've connected with them nice."

It seems like Valpo is making a serious run for his services.

"Yes they have begun to recruit me hard and definitely said that they want me to make sure I consider them heavily in recruitment."

What have they told him they like about his game?

"They like my ability to be able to play inside and out.  They like guys that can guard multiple positions.  The fact that I can shoot and extend it to the three-point line and also be effective inside."

classof2014

Based on the tone of the article sounds like Perez will be dressing in the brown & gold come late October of 2015. Still a ton of time and anything can happen in between now and then.

valpopal

As I mentioned in the Cleveland State thread after the game, I noticed a few "recruits (a couple of them back for second and third visits) at the game who stuck around with their families to witness the ceremony and who also bowed their heads in prayer with Bryce at the close during the recognition for the seniors."

I recognized Perez because I'd seen him at Valpo games previously with his parents. Also, I noticed 6'11" Seth Adelsperger was another returning recruit whom I'd seen at a previous game. He was there once again with his parents as well.

I wish they'd seen Valpo play a much better game, but I think the post-game ceremony for seniors displayed to them the great relationship Valpo players have with Bryce and the rest of the coaching staff.

valpopal

Perez is listed as a small forward graduating in 2015. Matt Holba doesn't get mentioned much, and I am not sure of his priority at this time. According to Verbal Commits, he is another 2015 small forward who does have two offers in hand, one from Valpo and another from Providence (which already recently received a commitment from Ryan Fazekas, another small forward Valpo recruit). However, here is a quick video of a shot Holba took in a recent game:

http://youtu.be/80gUnrJs-yU

valpotx

Wish we would have played much better that game, as well!  Hopefully the big guy was fine with the loss, as we always like height!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

I keep getting funky things and then an error on that video...I assume he makes the 3/4 court shot?

Also, Mr. Perez, coming to VU would be a Weis move.

And I don't me Frederic.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

I had to look up Frederic Weis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Weis

"Le dunk de la mort"

Weis is known for having been "posterized" by the United States' Vince Carter during a basketball game between the two teams at the 2000 Summer Olympics on September 25, 2000. After getting the ball off a steal, the 6'6" (1.98 m) Carter drove to the basket, leaped, spread his legs as he jumped over 7'2" (2.18 m) Weis, and ferociously dunked the ball. The French media dubbed the slam "le dunk de la mort": "the dunk of death." The US won the game 106-94.

He was drafted by the New York Knicks with the 15th pick in the first round of the 1999 NBA Draft, but he did not sign with them and never played in the NBA. The draft pick angered many Knicks fans because Ron Artest, who had grown up in Queens, New York and played for St. John's University, was still available. Artest was taken with the next pick by the Chicago Bulls.

vu72

The best dunk I've seen may be from Keifer Sykes.  They say he is 5'11", but I doubt it.  Anyway, take a look at this dunk in slow motion and you will see his hand at the top of the box on the backboard.  So that is about 11' off the floor.  If his standing reach is 7'6", that means his vertical is at least 42".  Amazing.

Keifer Sykes Slow Motion Alley Oop Dunk at UIC
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

HC

Why is there a Sykes post in here?

A big guy would be great, I know he is probably raw but the coaches have done a nice job coaching up Vashil so far.

valpopal

Apparently, Luwane Pipkins scored 45 points in a sectional final win tonight with 9 3-pt. shots and 14-14 from the free throw line. Unfortunately, he also had folks from West Virginia there to scout him.

wh

Have we actually offered him yet?