• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

Anything new on who may be in next year's class, either frosh -to-be or transfers?

classof2014

Valpo has also shown interest in JUCO guard, Dequon Miller, a 5' 11" 165 lbs guard from Charleston, WV.

valpopal

This is a JUCO center Valpo had been checking but must have passed on him:

[tweet]454355366340349952[/tweet]

valpotx

If he ended up at Northwestern State, it is probably a good thing that we didn't get him
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on April 10, 2014, 04:17:12 PM
If he ended up at Northwestern State, it is probably a good thing that we didn't get him

I guess ... I've never even heard of this Northwestern State school.  Had to Google to find out if they were D-I or not.  Looks like they were only 17-14 this year despite playing in a pathetic conference and had a mediocre 155 RPI.  Only halfway respectible win was at Auburn.  I think they were better last year (85 RPI), but didn't even make the tourney ... doubt they ever have.

LaPorteAveApostle

once again, i almost thought you were serious.  was going to write a semi-scathing reply about the history of their program, etc.

then I thought better of it.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: EddieCabot on April 10, 2014, 07:26:39 PM

I guess ... I've never even heard of this Northwestern State school.  Had to Google to find out if they were D-I or not.  Looks like they were only 17-14 this year despite playing in a pathetic conference and had a mediocre 155 RPI.  Only halfway respectible win was at Auburn.  I think they were better last year (85 RPI), but didn't even make the tourney ... doubt they ever have.

They did make the tourney last year and actually have won games in the tourney.

But yeah, the Southland is awful minus SFA and sometimes Oral Roberts (leaving) and NWSU.

a3uge

Wait do I just have a bad sarcasm detector?

wh

Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 07:36:43 PM

You missed not only the sarcasm but the shot across the bow at our beloved program, which finished this season with an RPI lower than NWS's "mediocre" 155 and who hasn't beaten a D-1 Major (as NWS did in a "halfway respective win" at Auburn) since the summer of '42.  ;)

zvillehaze

I've got nothing relevant to add, except that my daughter almost attended Northwestern State.  As the saying goes, I paid for her to visit the campus twice and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!  (Honestly, I love the t-shirt.  Vic the Demon rocks.)

valpotx

They have played in 3 NCAA tournaments, and are 2-3 all-time, with one of those wins coming in the Opening Round game against Winthrop.  We would beat them on a fairly steady basis each year, regardless of what their RPI was in the last 2 seasons.  The Southland blows, coming from someone that has actually followed the league from time-to-time, since there are plenty of TX schools...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

I wonder if anyone on Boston College's message board in the fall of 2012 said "If Alec ended up at Valparaiso, it is probably a good thing that we didn't get him."

valpotx

I am sure that is probably the case
"Don't mess with Texas"

jloose128

So I take it none of you remember back to 2006 when 14-seeded Northwestern State shocked 3-seeded Iowa (basically) at the buzzer with a 3 in the corner.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 07:36:43 PMWait do I just have a bad sarcasm detector?
not as bad as jloose's
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ARCInsider

Quote from: jloose128 on April 11, 2014, 05:58:06 PM
So I take it none of you remember back to 2006 when 14-seeded Northwestern State shocked 3-seeded Iowa (basically) at the buzzer with a 3 in the corner.

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 10, 2014, 07:49:36 PM
Quote from: a3uge on April 10, 2014, 07:36:43 PM

You missed not only the sarcasm but the shot across the bow at our beloved program, which finished this season with an RPI lower than NWS's "mediocre" 155 and who hasn't beaten a D-1 Major (as NWS did in a "halfway respective win" at Auburn) since the summer of '42.  ;)
Hey I am still mad at Eddie for joining in and firing up the furor aimed at the Green Bay referee crew which hung me out to dry as the sole defender of their adequate or better performance. For me or for us to seek retribution may sound a little harsh but that Eddie Cabot guy is long, long overdue for a good hornswoggling.   ;)

jloose128

LaPorteAveApostle

Hey, no sweat--as you can see, he's fooled many who've been here longer than both you and I put together as well.

valpotx

Quote from: jloose128 on April 11, 2014, 05:58:06 PM

I did remember that game when stating my thoughts on the program.  Northwestern State is still worse than Valpo
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on April 10, 2014, 11:02:52 AM
Valpo has also shown interest in JUCO guard, Dequon Miller, a 5' 11" 165 lbs guard from Charleston, WV.

Miller, an honorable mention JUCO All-American as a freshman, has indicated he will continue at his Junior College next year; if so, he wouldn't be a 2014 recruit. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Valpo uniform in 2015. 

78crusader

Just wondering...don't we have enough guards?

Paul

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: 78crusader on April 21, 2014, 07:54:30 AMJust wondering...don't we have enough guards?
I know what you mean, but this is only a problem if he's not better than others.

If we're not talking until 2015-16, we should only have 5 guards at that time--barring attrition, should always be noted, in this day and age--so he would make 6, which is about the number of scholarship guards usually carried.

I updated (sigh) the scholarship sheet again so you can see for yourself:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0
The major change is the disappearance of this past year.  Already there are three years hidden (columns B through D) so you can check them out for yourselves, I think--if it doesn't let you look at them let me know.