• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on August 05, 2013, 09:53:38 PM
Mack Mercer, who had a Valpo offer, committed to Belmont today. D.J. McCall, who wanted to come to Valpo but did not receive an offer, committed to IUPUI today as well.

I was hoping for a different outcome with Mack Mercer, thinking that he might be swayed by the opportunity to be coached by former pro ballplayers in Coach Powell and Coach Drew in particular, along with our course Coach Gore. Sorry to hear this, but I guess good for Belmont. Mercer in a couple years would of made a great tandem working alongside Jubril Adekoya. Oh well..... Hopefully we are working on another talented and rising big man to fill that void, with Capo and Gueye being seniors and moving on after the coming season. :(  With Valpo not even offering D.J. McCall, sounds like either they feel secure with the guards on the roster for the next few years, or are still in the mix for another guard who might be a higher rated player? Perhaps Jevon Carter would like to play college ball with his cousin (?) Keith Carter, not to mention attend a great academic school like Valpo. I think he was rated a 3 star level recruit by most of the recruiting services. Valpopal, do you hear any rumors about Valpo still being in the mix for Jevon Carter?   

vufan75

Maybe I answered my own question regarding the status of recruiting guard Jevon Carter out of Maywood, IL. Ran across on twitter a post from July 10 that mentions which schools are recruiting Jevon Carter the hardest at this point. Sounds like other schools are pursuing him harder than Valpo at this point.   

Scott Phillips‏@phillipshoops 10 Jul
2014 guard Jevon Carter (Team NLP/Proviso East) said Lehigh, LaSalle & Toledo were recruiting him the hardest among his offers. @ny2lasports

justducky

Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2013, 01:36:35 PMI was hoping for a different outcome with Mack Mercer, thinking that he might be swayed by the opportunity to be coached by former pro ballplayers in Coach Powell and Coach Drew in particular, along with our course Coach Gore. Sorry to hear this, but I guess good for Belmont. Mercer in a couple years would of made a great tandem working alongside Jubril Adekoya. Oh well..... Hopefully we are working on another talented and rising big man to fill that void, with Capo and Gueye being seniors and moving on after the coming season. 
Getting Mercer would have been nice both for his size and talent and also as another local high school player that would have helped broaden the local fan base. But from his viewpoint he may have saw himself getting little or no freshman playing time, then as a sophomore being forced into a smallish center role (perhaps behind yet another transfer or recruit). If he wants to try to play some 4 maybe Belmont was the better choice because here he would have been competing with Peters, Adekoya, and Nickerson for some very limited opportunities at that position.

Best of luck to Mack, to Belmont and to their future success. Hope to see them back on our schedule soon as would the Mercer family.

vufan75

From chicagohoops.com, an update on the recruiting of Tai Odiase, new offers he has received, and him mentioning some visits he hopes to make. 

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1713-tai-odiasetalks-new-offers-visits

Tai Odiase Talks New Offers, Visits

Category: Latest News Published on Wednesday, 07 August 2013 14:04 Written by Scott Burgess

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 power forward Tai Odiase is a very intriguing four-man.  The athletic and angular post is a presence on the defensive end while being efficient on the offensive end.  He continues to attract interest from college coaches.

Odiase picked up two more offers from SIU-Edwardsville and Kent State.  He discussed what he likes about SIUE.

"I like their style of play.  I think I can fit in their system pretty well."

What stands out about Kent State?

"Their situation is good for me.  I can most likely come in and play a good amount of minutes."

Odiase is planning on taking some visits soon.

"I'm trying to visit Western Michigan,  UMKC, St. Louis, and Kent State in the next upcoming weeks."

He played with Meanstreets 17U on the Nike EYBL circuit.

Pgmado

In other news, the Homewood Flossmoor athletic director was found dead in the school on Wednesday night.

covufan

Quote from: vufan75 on August 08, 2013, 07:20:42 AMOdiase is planning on taking some visits soon.

"I'm trying to visit Western Michigan,  UMKC, St. Louis, and Kent State in the next upcoming weeks."

I hope he is stating this because he has already visited Valpo, and Valpo is close enough to visit again if needed.  Valpo should be able to compete with these programs. 

On another note, Verbal Commits has Kent State with 10 offers to PF's, including Tai, with another 5 offers at the HS junior age.  They also have a FR and SO on this coming years team.  Interesting.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tai-odiase

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2013, 01:57:07 PM
Maybe I answered my own question regarding the status of recruiting guard Jevon Carter out of Maywood, IL. Ran across on twitter a post from July 10 that mentions which schools are recruiting Jevon Carter the hardest at this point. Sounds like other schools are pursuing him harder than Valpo at this point.   

Scott Phillips‏@phillipshoops 10 Jul
2014 guard Jevon Carter (Team NLP/Proviso East) said Lehigh, LaSalle & Toledo were recruiting him the hardest among his offers. @ny2lasports

With all the emphasis on Chicago players by the VU coaches recently, in addition to Jevon Carter, I wouldn't be surprised if Valpo made an offer to another Chicago 3-star shooting guard, JayQuan McCloud of North Chicago. Either would be good.

valpopal

After receiving a commitment from Canadian point guard Max Joseph, Valpo has apparently extended an offer to another Canadian, shooting guard Nemanja Zarkovic.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Canadian basketball is definitely on the rise.  They performed pretty well in the University Games
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpopal on August 15, 2013, 09:53:18 AM
After receiving a commitment from Canadian point guard Max Joseph, Valpo has apparently extended an offer to another Canadian, shooting guard Nemanja Zarkovic.

Looks like he has good offensive skills:

Nemanja Zarkovic 6'3 185Lbs PG/SG class of 2014 (2012-2013)

valpopal

From Twitter:

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 PF Tai Odiase says he will make college decision on his birthday September 21

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on August 28, 2013, 08:45:06 PM
From Twitter:

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 PF Tai Odiase says he will make college decision on his birthday September 21

Per chicagohoops.com in a report today, a few more details on Tai Odiase, which 6 schools he has narrowed his list down to, and how the process will play out before he announces his decision on September 21. Hopefully he will choose Valpo and we can welcome Tai to the Valpo family, and wish him a very Happy Birthday! 

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1801-tai-odiase-trims-list-sets-date

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on August 29, 2013, 07:17:38 AM
From Twitter:

Per chicagohoops.com in a report today, a few more details on Tai Odiase, which 6 schools he has narrowed his list down to, and how the process will play out before he announces his decision on September 21. Hopefully he will choose Valpo and we can welcome Tai to the Valpo family, and wish him a very Happy Birthday! 

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1801-tai-odiase-trims-list-sets-date

Looking at his list of six schools, Valpo has to be the best choice when considering three main factors equally: strong basketball program, high academics, and location near home. Let's hope Tai sees it that way as well.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on August 29, 2013, 09:08:41 AM
From Twitter:

Looking at his list of six schools, Valpo has to be the best choice when considering three main factors equally: strong basketball program, high academics, and location near home. Let's hope Tai sees it that way as well.

I'm a little surprised by the list if he is as good as advertised.  IPFW?  UMKC?  I would think it would be between Valpo and Kent State.  Of the two Valpo should win handily.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I agree that his list is a little surprising.  Maybe he had better programs interested in him, but he is sticking by those that had been recruiting him for awhile.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

This video, where he discusses recruiting, indicates interest and visits to several other schools;

Tai Odiase Talks Offers & More
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on August 29, 2013, 09:31:22 AM
Quote from: valpopal on August 29, 2013, 09:08:41 AM
From Twitter:

I'm a little surprised by the list if he is as good as advertised.  IPFW?  UMKC?  I would think it would be between Valpo and Kent State.  Of the two Valpo should win handily.

I'm wondering about IPFW and UMKC as well.  Unless his goal is to get 25 minutes per game in his true FR year, why are these even on his current list?  Months ago, yes.  Looks like Bryce, Powell and Lottich need to monitor Tai's twitter feed and 'bump' into him a few times over the next few weeks!  ;)

valpopal

Apparently, Tai has committed to UIC. I had a feeling his wish to stay in Chicago would make UIC our only real competition. Time for the coaching staff to look for other 2014 big men.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on September 01, 2013, 10:13:08 AM
Apparently, Tai has committed to UIC. I had a feeling his wish to stay in Chicago would make UIC our only real competition. Time for the coaching staff to look for other 2014 big men.

So Odiase has committed to UIC but won't actually announce it till his birthday on Sept. 21st? Is that correct?

valpopal

Quote from: bbtds on September 01, 2013, 10:36:05 AM
Quote from: valpopal on September 01, 2013, 10:13:08 AM

So Odiase has committed to UIC but won't actually announce it till his birthday on Sept. 21st? Is that correct?

He is a teenager, and teenagers are notorious for changing their minds; therefore, I am going to cut him some slack for altering his plan. I'll also wish him well at UIC except when playing Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

oh well.  in the words of the immortal Rasheed Wallace,

"you either roll with us

or you get rolled"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

According to a report on Twitter, Jevon Carter has committed to West Virginia.

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2013, 09:09:52 AMAccording to a report on Twitter, Jevon Carter has committed to West Virginia.

Not surprised. With the commitment of Max Joseph, I think we're set at the PG position for a few years. With both Keith Carter and Lexus Williams as our PGs along with Joseph now. Chances are Jevon Carter didn't see an opportunity here.

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on September 04, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: valpopal on September 04, 2013, 09:09:52 AMAccording to a report on Twitter, Jevon Carter has committed to West Virginia.

Not surprised. With the commitment of Max Joseph, I think we're set at the PG position for a few years. With both Keith Carter and Lexus Williams as our PGs along with Joseph now. Chances are Jevon Carter didn't see an opportunity here.

Despite various reports, one quoting his high school coach, of Jevon Carter committing to West Virginia, Carter's dad says Jevon remains uncommitted as of now:

"Joe Henricksen ‏@joehoopsreport
Whether premature or miscommunication in the Carter camp, but Proviso East's Jevon Carter remains open, uncommitted, per his father"