• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brian Schmack Accepts Job as Baseball Skipper

Started by jetz, July 24, 2013, 02:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

That would be a great title.  I doubt that we have ever had a baseball coach radio show. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Other than when rlh had "Inside Valpo Basketball", has there ever been a weekly coaches show for any of the Valpo sports, whether it was on Lakeshore Public Television, or on the internet? This could be a strong recruiting tool for VU, and baseball would be a great sport for it too, as Coach Schmack could do the show by way of phone or Skype/FaceTime, if he couldn't be in studio, same as any of the other coaches (i.e. volleyball, swimming, soccer, softball, golf, bowling). I didn't include cross country or track, as they are weekends only, for the most part, so the coach would be in town to tape a segment.

valpo64

valpotx

I have to think that it will take another few weeks still.  I believe that practices/workouts still start the week after school starts?  I forget when it was for us, but imagine that it has not changed. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Enrico Palazzo

Coaches' shows are something that is in the discussion/planning stages. With Aaron having the pressure of nearly 19 sports off him this year, we've got the time and people to explore some new and creative ideas. Plan on seeing more video up on the site this year.

vufan75

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on August 01, 2013, 04:19:47 PM
Coaches' shows are something that is in the discussion/planning stages. With Aaron having the pressure of nearly 19 sports off him this year, we've got the time and people to explore some new and creative ideas. Plan on seeing more video up on the site this year.

Was someone new hired over the summer to work with Aaron, or somebody promoted to job, or responsibilities changed around a bit?

vufan75

THANKS so much for the update, Fred! I think you guys in athletics marketing do a great job. All while building up the dept  from basically nothing with limited resources. Really enjoyed your work last year...

agibson

Quote from: vufan75 on August 01, 2013, 08:15:43 PMTHANKS so much for the update, Fred!

Hm.. did that get moved?  Deleted?

I _just_ had it on my screen... Shouldn't have hit refresh.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

All he mentioned was that they would be doing more coaching show-type videos for release on the website, for the most part
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

There were some details about the personnel changes, as well, right?  Maybe some of that stuff wasn't yet meant to be public.  I got the gist of it, but didn't quite absorb the details before it went away.  I suppose google might have cached it...  But, I think I'm not that curious.

valpotx

Ah yes, it mentioned something about someone going permanent, and then seeking 2 interns in the near future to help out as well.  The coaches have bought into the ideas behind the Marketing aspects to help their programs, so while Woodson and Bryce were the main ones to do it last year, each coach would do it this year. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

BradC

An official announcement should be made (hopefully) by the end of the week. The coaches are in Valpo now; just need the standard paperwork to go through.

LaPorteAveApostle

While we're waiting, just wanted to drop this here in honor of VU's most famous baseball alum:  a great article from MLB.com that shows Lloyd's not forgotten after 42 (!!!) years:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130821&content_id=57752690&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 21, 2013, 06:52:24 PM
While we're waiting, just wanted to drop this here in honor of VU's most famous baseball alum:  a great article from MLB.com that shows Lloyd's not forgotten after 42 (!!!) years:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130821&content_id=57752690&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
Great story!

The Gary newspaper should do a where are they now story from the team photo at the LLWS - both players and coaches.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

Did anyone notice that Rob Cooper left Wright State Baseball to take the head coaching position with Penn State Baseball?  This happened a couple of weeks ago.  Also, it was just recently announced a couple of days ago that their Assistant Head Coach, Greg Lovelady, has been promoted to Head Coach.

The college baseball coaching carosuel was very active this off-season with 25 Division 1 Head Coaching changes out of 298 Division 1 baseball programs (almost 10%).  Including Valpo, there are New Head Coaches at:
(School/New Head Coach/Former Head Coach)

Auburn Sunny Golloway John Pawlowski
Cal State Northridge Greg Moore Matt Curtis
Cincinnati Ty Neal Brian Cleary
Florida A&M Jamey Shouppe Kevin Clethen/W.Brown
Georgia Scott Stricklin David Perno
Indiana State Mitch Hannahs Rick Heller
Iowa Rick Heller Jack Dahm
Jacksonville Tim Montez Terry Alexander
Kent State Jeff Duncan Scott Stricklin
Longwood Brian McCullough Buddy Bolding
McNeese State Justin Hill Terry Burrows
Miami (Ohio) Danny Hayden Dan Simonds
Nevada Jay Johnson Gary Powers
New Orleans Ron Maestri Bruce Peddie
Oklahoma Pete Hughes Sunny Golloway
Pennsylvania John Yurkow John Cole
Penn State Rob Cooper Robbie Wine
Richmond Tracy Woodson Mark McQueen
Saint Mary's Eric Valenzuela Jedd Soto
Southeastern Louisiana Matt Riser (interim) Jay Artigues
UT Martin   Bubba Cates
Valparaiso Brian Schmack Tracy Woodson
Virginia Tech Patrick Mason Pete Hughes
Wichita State Todd Butler Gene Stephenson
Wright State Greg Lovelady  Rob Cooper
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!