• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Predicting the 2nd Half

Started by wh, January 30, 2014, 12:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict the Crusaders record for the 2nd half of conference play:

8-0
1 (3.7%)
7-1
3 (11.1%)
6-2
10 (37%)
5-3
11 (40.7%)
4-4
2 (7.4%)
3-5
0 (0%)
2-6
0 (0%)
1-7
0 (0%)
0-8
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: February 01, 2014, 12:41:34 AM

wh

Following is the Crusaders schedule for our remaining 8 regular season conference games:

Feb 1   at UIC
Feb 7   Detroit
Feb 9   Oakland
Feb 15 at Milwaukee
Feb 20 at Green Bay
Feb 22 Youngstown State
Feb 25 at Wright State
Mar 1 Cleveland State

classof2014

I'm guess we'll go 6-2.

UIC - W
UDM - W
OU - W
UWM - W
GB - L
YSU - W
WSU - L
CSU - W

Anywhere from 4-4 to 8-0 is a possibility but I think we lay a couple of eggs on the road to tough opponents.

historyman

Here's kind of a wild prediction with several surprises.

@ UIC  W
UDM  L
OU  W
@ UWM  L
@ UWGB  W
YSU  L
@ WSU  W
CSU  W

5-3 2nd half conf record. The Crusaders split against every opponent except UIC & UWGB. VU beats GB because we play well after losing a disappointing game to Milw. It fits the pattern.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUfan

6-2 We still have road woes
Feb 1   at UIC W
Feb 7   Detroit w
Feb 9   Oakland  w
Feb 15 at Milwaukee W
Feb 20 at Green Bay  L
Feb 22 Youngstown State
Feb 25 at Wright State  L
Mar 1 Cleveland State W
;D

SanityLost17

I predicted 5-3.    I fear the following 3 game stretch. 

Feb. 20 @ GB - L
Feb. 22     YSU - L
Feb. 25 @ WSU - L

3 games in 6 days, 800 miles of travel.  The two most experienced teams in the league on the road and a Kendrick Perry sandwiched the middle.  If we do pull out the YSU game I think that we could easily lose the CSU home game. 

Kyle321n

5-3.  Wins at home and @UIC, losses on the road.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

I also predict 6-2, with losses at GB, and at WSU.  I think Milwaukee has come back to earth after a much better start than the talent suggested. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Dave_2010

I'll take 5-3. I see 4 likely wins (@UIC, vsUDM, vsOU, vsYSU), 1 likely loss (@UWGB), and 3 toss-ups (@UWM, @WSU, vsCSU).

I think they'll split the 2 road toss-ups but lose one of their home games down the stretch (likely CSU but I wouldn't be surprised if they fell in any one of the home games given their inconsistency this season).

a3uge

4-4 with a definite win against Milwaukee in The ARC North.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

talksalot

Feb 1   at UIC   WIN
Feb 7   Detroit    WIN    (?? We have not played well under the ESPN lights...)
Feb 9   Oakland   WIN
Feb 15 at Milwaukee  WIN
Feb 20 at Green Bay    LOSS
Feb 22 Youngstown State   TOSSUP
Feb 25 at Wright State    TOSSUP
Mar 1 Cleveland State   WIN

I'll go 5-3

justducky

6-2

The late season run that I have been predicting since summer has already started. I can not imagine them playing bad enough to go 4-4 and I do not think that 7-1 is out of the question.

covufan

I think we build on this and go 7-1.  6-2 may be more realistic, but I'm optimistic!

wh

Just a quick mention that the poll closes shortly after midnight tonight.  Now is the time to cast your vote and make your opinion known!  :)

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on January 31, 2014, 04:47:06 PM
I think we build on this and go 7-1.  6-2 may be more realistic, but I'm optimistic!

I've been watching most of you guys and how continually optimistic you have been only to have hopes and dreams crushed every other or three weeks once HL competition began when the kids don't perform up to your expectations. 

I have adopted a conservative approach:  4-4.  My job sucks, the Patriots lost to the Broncos, the snow is piled 3' in my front yard, and I have to commute to Kansas City (actually a pretty good town) every Sunday afternoon, so:  I decided to go low and minimize any disappointments and hope for the best without predicting it.  That way I won't add to any other pressures.  But GO VALPO!

historyman

Really. Remember the yo-yo. There will be a least 3 more incredibly disappointing games for the Valpo men. Did the freshman and less experienced upperclassmen turn into 4 year veterans all of a sudden?  (Had to end it with a question, didn't I?)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 31, 2014, 06:04:55 PMI have adopted a conservative approach
I've adopted the agnostic approach myself  ;)

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 31, 2014, 06:04:55 PM4-4.  My job sucks, the Patriots lost to the Broncos, the snow is piled 3' in my front yard, and I have to commute to Kansas City (actually a pretty good town) every Sunday afternoon, so:  I decided to go low and minimize any disappointments and hope for the best without predicting it.  That way I won't add to any other pressures.  But GO VALPO!
This seems like a sensible approach and because I too am am suffering from the stir-crazy, dead of winter, let me out of this house despondence I am going to change my prediction to 0-8.
Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 07:48:01 PMThere will be a least 3 more incredibly disappointing games for the Valpo men.
I am in total agreement that they will lose 2 more HL regular season games followed by at least one post season loss. I too will be incredibly disappointed with all of these losses. ;)

mj

I went with 5-3. This team has been too up and down all year long for me to say otherwise.
I believe that we will win.

LaPorteAveApostle

you know, with a team like this (up and down), how we think they will do really says more about us than them...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I see several postings about winter...what is this winter you speak of?   :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on January 31, 2014, 11:24:39 PMwhat is this winter you speak of?
Tex, this is my personal impression of what they were talking about:

Hope that helps
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Congratulations to VULB#62 and a3uge for accurately predicting our 2nd half conference record of 4-4.  Unfortunately, the other 25 of us were a little too optimistic.

historyman

Quote from: historyman on January 31, 2014, 07:48:01 PMThere will be a least 3 more incredibly disappointing games for the Valpo men. Did the freshman and less experienced upperclassmen turn into 4 year veterans all of a sudden?
Should have said 4. The loss to Detroit at home was incredibly disappointing along with the other 3 losses I thought would be wins.