• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Detroit, 2/7/2014

Started by HC, February 03, 2014, 06:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
I believe the Jim C/cheering thing started to happen at the first game after 9/11 when our Country took on some pride and increased love for the USA.

I believe it "officially" started during the 1991 All-Star game in old Chicago Stadium. Operation Desert Storm was going on I believe and its occurred at every home game since.

StlVUFan

Quote from: classof2014 on February 05, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
I believe the Jim C/cheering thing started to happen at the first game after 9/11 when our Country took on some pride and increased love for the USA.

I believe it "officially" started during the 1991 All-Star game in old Chicago Stadium. Operation Desert Storm was going on I believe and its occurred at every home game since.
I believe there are officially 15 different origin stories for this and no one knows for sure when it really started.

mvandersee

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 05, 2014, 09:51:18 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on February 05, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2014, 07:05:30 PMI believe the Jim C/cheering thing started to happen at the first game after 9/11 when our Country took on some pride and increased love for the USA.
I believe there are officially 15 different origin stories for this and no one knows for sure when it really started.

I remembered reading a CSN story as to the origin awhile back and was able to dig it up again, the best explanation of the origin that they could come up with was the 1984 Conference Finals. http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/blackhawks-talk/history-anthem-hawks-games

Anyways, go Valpo, beat the Titans  :)

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpo64 on February 05, 2014, 07:05:30 PMI believe the Jim C/cheering thing started to happen at the first game after 9/11 when our Country took on some pride and increased love for the USA.

Then you would be extremely wrong.

Quote from: valpo84 on February 05, 2014, 01:42:11 PM
The Blackhawks tradition goes way back -- the articles say 1985. But, I recall it starting earlier and only towards the end of the song and then somewhere around 1991 (Gulf War I), there was a special occasion (All Star game?) and the place went nuts from start to finish. According to the first article my memory is hanging in there. (Mrs 84 would ask how can you remember some of that meaningless stuff....?) Wayne Messmer is still one of my all-time favorites doing the anthem and his dueting with his wife was always some of the best harmonies for the old bar tune that is our national anthem. Unfortunately, Wayne had some vocal surgeries that reduced his ability and Chicago fans (especially Cubs fans) miss his simple, dignified renditions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/11/sports/hockey/how-the-national-anthem-turned-into-a-blackhawks-rallying-cry.html?_r=0

Second article is not quite as in depth. But there is nothing like it at the Stadium. When we watch at home, we crank the stereo to fire up for the games. With our slow starts, maybe this will help a bit.
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530513

Yes, you all are right, this is clearly not the rivalry games of the past 3 years. Still, must win game for Valpo!

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

People seriously yell those things during the national anthem at games in Chicago?  You could get shot in TX for doing that during our national anthem.  Before LAA says it first, 'you can get shot in TX for a lot of things' ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Lots of shooting ranges in Texas that you can see from the Interstates and even the 4-lane roads in residential neighborhoods.

Best of all you can buy them in drive-up windows along with a six-pack.   And driving on a cell phone is perfectly legal.

But I'll take the red state 50 votes.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on February 06, 2014, 10:40:04 AMBefore LAA says it first, 'you can get shot in TX for a lot of things'
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

As I've said before, I think it says a lot about the state of the "rivalry" that we would rather talk about the anthem than the game.

04 can correct me, but I seem to remember that before the NCAA day, the biggest day in this site's history was 1/17/13 (or thereabouts) -- the day of The Comeback @ UDM, right?

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on February 05, 2014, 04:41:29 PMFor kicks, I had us win out and the result was a 98 RPI. This doesn't include a road win vs Green Bay
then how could it be winning out...if it didn't include a road win in GB?

Thanks so much for pointing out the wizard...makes a great site even better.  You can always see what winning out will do, though, on the original page (you just have to know where to look).

Of course, that only includes teams that are good enough to have a mathematical chance.  Although even UIC still has a 0.02% of doing that.  At least we're 0.92% :)

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 06, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 05, 2014, 04:41:29 PMFor kicks, I had us win out and the result was a 98 RPI. This doesn't include a road win vs Green Bay
then how could it be winning out...if it didn't include a road win in GB?

Thanks so much for pointing out the wizard...makes a great site even better.  You can always see what winning out will do, though, on the original page (you just have to know where to look).

Of course, that only includes teams that are good enough to have a mathematical chance.  Although even UIC still has a 0.02% of doing that.  At least we're 0.92% :)

Winning out doesn't include the conference tourney - which if Valpo won, they'd have won the 2 games in the conference tourney, one of which would be a road win vs Green Bay. RPI Forecast can't really take that into account.

Dave_2010

Quote from: a3uge on February 06, 2014, 12:52:40 PMWinning out doesn't include the conference tourney - which if Valpo won, they'd have won the 2 games in the conference tourney, one of which would be a road win vs Green Bay. RPI Forecast can't really take that into account.

Can't remember for sure, but wouldn't a tourney game against Green Bay in Resch still count as a neutral site game for RPI purposes?

covufan

We continue to play good defense.

Valpo   78
UDM     65

a3uge

Quote from: Dave_2010 on February 06, 2014, 01:16:39 PM
Quote from: a3uge on February 06, 2014, 12:52:40 PMWinning out doesn't include the conference tourney - which if Valpo won, they'd have won the 2 games in the conference tourney, one of which would be a road win vs Green Bay. RPI Forecast can't really take that into account.

Can't remember for sure, but wouldn't a tourney game against Green Bay in Resch still count as a neutral site game for RPI purposes?

Nope. Virtually all RPI sites, as well as the NCAA RPI archives correctly identify neutral and home games for the conference tournament hosts. The only time they'll identify a neutral court is if its a fixed location, but most of the time its not the team's home arena anyways (see Belmont playing in Nashville for OVC championship last year).

a3uge

Just noticed this today: the game is on ESPNU!

Other logistics: it's at 8pm CST.

Also, Murray State and Belmont are on ESPNU right now and it's a FANTASTIC game.

valpotx

I am going to have to resolve to watching on DVR on this one, as I will be at our last Mavs game for this season.  I was really hoping to watch it live, and will avoid any update checking as best I can.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

Looks like a lot of empty seats tonight. It will be interesting to see if the student section is full with it being a Friday night game.

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 06, 2014, 12:35:41 PM
As I've said before, I think it says a lot about the state of the "rivalry" that we would rather talk about the anthem than the game.

04 can correct me, but I seem to remember that before the NCAA day, the biggest day in this site's history was 1/17/13 (or thereabouts) -- the day of The Comeback @ UDM, right?

Most active days, ranked by "Most Online":

Date         Most Online    Page Views
2013-03-17       7315357
2013-03-18       6517935
2013-11-19       618353
2013-01-17       5111325

LaPorteAveApostle

Wow--thanks.

I thought so.  But what the heck brought people online in almost-NCAA numbers in November?  The day before the Evansville game!?!??!

valpo64

valpotx

It will be pretty sad if we can't get 4k+ for a TV game
"Don't mess with Texas"

rink

Peters getting cocky with the student section after missing a layup 10 seconds earlier.

rink

Valpo playing ugly basketball on the ESPN family of networks, what's new?  Sloppy, lazy, bad basketball. Luckily, Mercy has been just as bad.

oklahomamick

We need this game bad....Detroit's defense is giving us troubles.  Hope we adjust in the 2nd half.
CRUSADERS!!!

rink

Bad half, should be up 10 not trailing by 1. Just so damn sloppy and uncoordinated with our play.  We should be clobbering this team at home. Sad play so far.

a3uge

-$+3+*76'

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk