• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Wright St--2/25/14--Tuesday--6:00 p.m.--game thread

Started by historyman, February 22, 2014, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: a3uge on February 25, 2014, 03:36:09 PM
I think if the Horizon League refs think they're B1G TEN refs, we're going to lose. Too much shoving, grabbing, hand checks, physical play for our big men and guards to handle. If we get to use our size and they call contact on our big men/penetrators, we will win this game. We always get a quick whistle from the tube men arms swinging wildly and in return never get down low contact called because of the size mismatch.

^

While I won't say WSU had the benefit of more calls, but the way the refs called the game helped Wright State's style of play. Valpo is big on getting to the line, penetrating, and kicking for 3, while Wright State plays more of a boring swing offense. I feel the turnover stats are inflated due to the amount of offensive fouls and steals on drives. Combine bonehead plays and the game is a disaster. We were still in the game because Wright State isn't that talented.

All of those charge calls should have been blocks last year as well. Sliding under players and flopping all while the offensive player is mid air isn't good for the game. Especially when there's a clear path to the lane that should result in an easy basket if the defensive player plays actual defense. They eliminated the charging/blocking flopping problem by saying "when in doubt call a block" and then put it right back in. We're back at square 1. Very  frustrating.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on February 26, 2014, 02:09:52 PMThey eliminated the charging/blocking flopping problem by saying "when in doubt call a block" and then put it right back in. We're back at square 1. Very  frustrating.
For the most part the entire HL season has been called under the 12-13 interpretations. Some of the handchecking now gets called but the charge vs block is exactly as you have stated. What might have been a big advantage for us suddenly disapeared when the effects of its implementation were fully understood. I do not look for this to be discussed in the future and anticipate the charge vs block status quo as the new and "old" normal.

StlVUFan

I actually thought that game was officiated much more competently than the Green Bay game.  There were a couple of calls I absolutely disagreed with that hurt Valpo, but there were a couple of times I thought we got away with something as well.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 28, 2014, 02:45:04 PMthere were a couple of times I thought we got away with something as well
the ones i saw were indeed pretty blatant, but clearly 'make-ups' for stuff that had just happened on the other end.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

Watching WSU @ UIC right now, need a UIC win. 

Is it just me or does Packer just lower his head and drives to the basketball.  If our bigs did that, it would be offensive foul.  He lowers his shoulder and hits the whole like a running back. 
CRUSADERS!!!