• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game from the past 1995 Mid Con Tourney vs. Western IL

Started by Chairback, February 23, 2014, 08:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

With nothing on TV but garbage tonight I played my 1995 Mid-Con Tourney championship game vs Western IL dvd that I burned years ago.  I had an absolute blast re-watching this game and feel compelled to post about it.

I wish there was a way I could post the game as everyone would enjoy watching it.  Not sure if I can on youtube.  There are so many story lines in this game that make it great.

-Jay Bilas did the game.
-Valpo's first time to the dance.
-I forgot how much bad blood there was between these two teams.  Jim Kerwin looked like he absolutely despised Valpo each time they showed him on TV.
-Bryce just tore it up in this game shooting 8 for 11 including 5-5 from 3.
-Scott was an assistant.
-Kareem Jr was on the team
-The team was loaded with Bryce, Allison, Artis, Ensminger, Sykes, Tony V.
-You can see many of current faithful chairbackers in the crowd who look 19 years younger.
-The last 45 secs Valpo was running up the score attempting an alley oop, a Corey Gibson made dunk, and a Kareem finger roll.
-My favorite was watching Tony V.  It was like watching a WWF wrestler in the ring.  He threw elbows, flopped, yelled at the refs, stared down other players.  He was an absolute instigator.  My favorite line of the night was when Tony V threw an elbow and a Western IL player got called for the foul.  Bilas keeps going on and on how Tony has lost his composure and needs to settle himself down and the camera pans to Tony and he is smiling.  Loved it.

classof2014

You'd be able to upload onto youtube. All you have to do is download the game on your computer, create a youtube account, and bingo you can upload it.

vu72

I remember some of it, but sure didn't remember that Bilas had the call.  Of course back then he was an "Adam Amin" style newcomer! So this isn't the game that we win and are turned down for the tourney but rather the one where we get to play Arizona??  :'(    I\d love to see Bryce play again at his prime!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

That's epic.

Doesn't sound like the 3-OT classic if all of them were in the game at the end.

I have THAT one on VHS tape somewheres.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Chairback

Can you upload Espn games to youtube without them being deleted for copyright?

historyman

Quote from: Chairback on February 23, 2014, 09:12:48 PMCan you upload Espn games to youtube without them being deleted for copyright?
Yes. But if anyone objects to you posting this game, including ESPN, youtube will automatically delete the video. No questions asked.

Also it does sound like the 1996 game which got us into the NCAA tourney for the first time against Arizona and not the triple OT game in 1995 against WIU which resulted in Valpo not being admitted to any post season tournament. The one memory of the 1996 NCAA tourney game against Arizona is that Chris Ensminger got shoved to the floor by a Wildcat player in an attempt to intimidate our players. It must have at least worked some what because Valpo lost that game by around 50 points.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Chairback

This was not the Triple OT game.  This was the following year.  They showed clips of the Triple OT game at the beginning of this game.  One of which price Bryce appears to nail a 3 from the Crusader logo way beyond the arc.

Is Kerwin still alive?

historyman

Quote from: Chairback on February 23, 2014, 09:44:46 PMIs Kerwin still alive?
I found this on our board from 2011.

bbtds
QuoteThere were some interesting names on the selection committee of the CIT:
Jack Bennett (Former head coach, Wisconsin-Stevens Point)
Jim Harrick (Former head coach, UCLA, Georgia, Rhode Island)
Jim Kerwin (Former head coach, Western Illinois University)
Perry Watson (Former head coach, University of Detroit Mercy)
Rich Zvosec (Former head coach, University of Missouri-Kansas City)

No wonder Valpo got into the CIT that year. All of them had good knowledge of Valpo.

Here is a story written last summer in the Bartlesville, OK Examiner-Enterprise about Jim Kerwin and his history in basketball including a picture of Kerwin in the 1960's.

http://examiner-enterprise.com/sections/sports/local-sports/former-66er-guard-has-made-his-mark.html

One thing I learned from this story that was interesting:
QuoteThe New York Knicks had selected him (Kerwin) in the 1964 NBA draft.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on February 23, 2014, 09:23:38 PMIt must have at least worked some what because Valpo lost that game by around 50 points.
90-51, right?  Or thereabouts?  Perhaps memory is affected by inflation as much as the economy?  "THEM'S 1996 points!"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

A couple of Arizona memories:

1. Driving around Phoenix couple days before the game and the talk radio was blasting Lute Olson and praising Coach Homer, contrasting their personalities. Many on the radio predicted Zona would be upset. Bad omen #1.

2. Playing catch at ASU near their ball fields before the afternoon games with my son (he was 9). Dad had promised him if Valpo made the tourney and it was reasonable to get there, we'd go.  At least Phoenix also has Mesa and the Cubs.

3. Watching Steve Nash for Santa Clara in the afternoon and discussing with scouts by us how he would do in the NBA.

4. After waiting all day for Valpo to play, we had the last game, Zona comes out and blitzkriegs us 18-4 by the first media time out and 46 to 18 at the half or something. We did not have D1 speed yet. Dale Brown was in the Valpo section. Another bad omen. Some of my work buddies filled my voicemail box informing me of the score (years before txts).

So proud of that team as they were a tremendous group who set the bar for the future, along with Casey, David Redmond and Tracy, all of whom did not get that chance, but without their elevating the program, 1996 and subsequent years don't happen so soon.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

chef

Jim Kerwin trivia...What former Valpo High star player and coach was Kerwin's teammate at Tulane University?

historyman

QuoteAfter the second half started, "the guy who was guarding me kept pulling on my shirt and pants," he recalled. "I told him not to do that."

Finally, Kerwin thrust an elbow that flattened his persistent persecutor and received an invitation by a referee to take the rest of the game off.

This might explain why Jim Kerwin had it out for Tony V.

historyman

Quote from: chef on February 24, 2014, 06:02:31 PMJim Kerwin trivia...What former Valpo High star player and coach was Kerwin's teammate at Tulane University?
Dale Gott? I believe he played at both Valpo High and Tulane in the 1960's.

chef

historyman

Quote from: historyman on February 24, 2014, 06:43:20 PM
Quote from: chef on February 24, 2014, 06:02:31 PMJim Kerwin trivia...What former Valpo High star player and coach was Kerwin's teammate at Tulane University?
Dale Gott? I believe he played at both Valpo High and Tulane in the 1960's.

I'll help you.
Quote from: zvillehaze on February 23, 2014, 12:15:57 PMHistoryman is correct

Kyle321n

You can upload it and then set it so that only people who have the link can see it.  If you post the link in here I'm pretty sure an ESPN copyright lawyer wouldn't catch on to it.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

bbtds

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 03, 2014, 11:39:24 AM
You can upload it and then set it so that only people who have the link can see it.  If you post the link in here I'm pretty sure an ESPN copyright lawyer wouldn't catch on to it.

Amin will get you!

Oooops! Wrong Amin!

Actually Adam, as you well know, is a very entertaining broadcaster

See what Amin.