• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Cleveland St at Valpo--3/1/14--Saturday--3:00 p.m. CT--game thread

Started by historyman, February 25, 2014, 07:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Looks like Valpo will be playing for only 3rd place and a bye in the HL tourney.

Cleve St  90
Valpo      71

EDIT: Sorry, I had wrong place. Valpo can play for 3rd place not just 4th place.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Man, I wouldn't want to be hanging off a side of a cliff holding onto a rope and have you holding the other end! Valpo by a 3, at the buzzer by Dority.

valpotx

UIC is winning at Milwaukee at the half, so maybe they pull off a win at home against WSU.  If that happens and we beat CSU, we at least earn a bye as the 3 seed.  I would have been happy with a 3 or 4 seed at the beginning of the season, but watching our schizophrenic team all year has me thinking that our seed doesn't matter, as we can lose to or beat any team in the conference.  I think we get the good side of our schizo personality for our last regular season home game. 

Does anyone think that we have at learned earned a postseason bid of some sort in the CBI or CIT if we get our 18th win (18-13, 10-6)? 

Valpo 72
CSU 67
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

I would think it would depend more on how we do in the tournament.  Problem is with a 4th seed, your second round matchup earns you one the next day with GB...whereas with 2 or 3 (or even 6!) you wouldn't have to burn that bridge until the championship game, in which you'd be rested.

On the other hand, we could be 20-14 and then yeah, I'd think some kind of bid would be in order.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I have no idea why YSU settled for another long shot at the buzzer in OT at CSU.  They had the inbounds pass with 4 seconds left under CSU's hoop, and settled for another long Perry shot.  Why not take it inside and at least try to get contact, when down by 1?  So frustrating to see that, as that could have kept us in play for a 2 seed if WSU loses at UIC, and we win against CSU.  Milwaukee is getting blown out of their own gym by UIC right now, 66-41 with 7:20 left...

WSU only beat UIC 58-53 at WSU earlier in the season, so it is possible.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I'd think Valpo gets a post season tourney offer as long as we win at least one more game at some point this season.

valporun

I agree. I do see this team being offered postseason invitations to either the CBI or CIT, considering our youth, and how those tourneys look for some good youthful programs to feature to help them with future tournament runs.

historyman

Quote from: HC on February 25, 2014, 10:08:23 PMI'd think Valpo gets a post season tourney offer as long as we win at least one more game at some point this season.
This makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately it seems the only way to be noticed in these tournaments is to win them. Or at least get to Madison Square Garden in the NIT.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

I just think the more experience they get playing together the more it will benefit them all and the team in the long run.

classof2014

I would imagine we'd get an invite to one of the two mid-major tourneys. The HL is a good league and we're a good program with a lot of young talent right now. If we make a run in the HL tourney, we're a lock for one of those twos, perhaps that run will get us all the way to the NCAAs.

If I learned anything from last night was that we can play and compete against the incredibly physical games. Hopefully should beat CSU and perhaps UIC will be carrying momentum from their destruction of UWM last night and beat WSU.

vu72

I see no reason why we can't beat CSU as they almost lost to YSU on their home court.  It will be another bruiser of a game.  With it being Senior Day at UIC I can aslo see an upset of WSU which would give us the 3 seed.  In any event, the Horizon League tourney should be a blast.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2014, 04:45:45 PM
Well, we almost lost to YSU on our home court as well... ;)

Well,...good point!  Actually the YSU games was very well played by both teams.  I watched some of the CSU-YSU game and it too was well played so I expect a very tight, tough game, but, we win in the end!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on February 26, 2014, 01:46:47 PMI would imagine we'd get an invite to one of the two mid-major tourneys.

If we win in the quarter-finals I bet we have a good chance.  Winning on Senior Night (Afternoon?) would help.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2014, 02:00:24 PMWith it being Senior Day at UIC I can aslo see an upset of WSU which would give us the 3 seed.
Good reminder! It will be Senior Afternoon at Valpo also. I see the freshmen playing all out for the seniors and LaVonte, Capo, Jordan and Moussa realizing their college basketball careers are coming to an end and it's time for all boilers to be lit and leave it all out on the floor.

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on February 26, 2014, 04:47:57 PM
Will Bryce start the four seniors?

Based on what's on the line, I doubt it. I know it sounds cliche but he's gonna start the players that give us the best chance to win and they're gonna see the most playing time. It's up to Jordan, Moussa, and Bobby to step up on Saturday and earn that playing time.

HC

Bryce has said before he doesn't really care who starts the game but who finishes it. I bet he starts the seniors, it's not like any of them are Tommy Kurth skilled.

valpopal

As we look to Senior Day, here is a celebration of the 2014 Class—Capobianco, Coleman, Dority, Gueye—in 180 photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157641586088205/

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

As long as we don't get a senior night speech like his last year...my goodness  :'(

justducky

Quote from: HC on February 26, 2014, 07:20:17 PMit's not like any of them are Tommy Kurth skilled.
No but in the short time his freshman year when he was still partially healthy he managed to start more games than either Moussa or Bobby can as seniors and if I remember right had a better assist to turnover ratio than either Jordan or LaVonte does today.

Kurths potential or lack of potential is a long dead issue that should best be left buried. For myself I have chosen to remember him as a scrappy freshman recruit that Bryce wanted, whose biggest complaint from the old board was his reluctance to shoot the 3.

valpopal

LaPorteAveApostle

What a GREAT tribute, 'pal!  Thank you so much.

Before they take the floor (i.e. now) the four seniors will have logged exactly 200 games.  Considering Erik Buggs logged 138 all by himself, that's not a lot.  Certainly enough to have made your mark, but we just wish we'd known you longer!

All best in your future endeavors.

usc4valpo

We have a shot of winning this conference tournament.  All teams in the Horizon are beatable.  Think big.  No bogus CIT discussion right now.