• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Cleveland St at Valpo--3/1/14--Saturday--3:00 p.m. CT--game thread

Started by historyman, February 25, 2014, 07:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 27, 2014, 03:22:02 PM
We have a shot of winning this conference tournament.  All teams in the Horizon are beatable.  Think big.  No bogus CIT discussion right now.

I fully agree. There's not doubt that our talent level is at the top in the league, so long we don't shoot ourselves in the foot like we've done many games, we should be able to beat anybody in the tournament. I really hope we get that 3 seed, we should be able to beat CSU, we played well against WSU, which is a similar style team. We shot ourselves in the foot and that's why we lost and that's why we've lost many games this season is stupid mistakes. Not for dumb mistakes this team would only have 4-5 losses on the season and 1-2 in conference play.

Perhaps not this year but in the near future this team can make a run in the NCAA. When we're playing on top of our game, we can beat anybody.

With time comes experience, with experience comes patience, and with patience comes less unforced errors, and with less unforced errors comes more wins.

bbtds

Quote from: HC on February 26, 2014, 09:35:47 PM
As long as we don't get a senior night speech like his last year...my goodness  :'(

I think Tommy Kurth's speech came from the heart and with all he had been through he felt the need to try and convey those "life is precious" feelings that he had experienced. I certainly get it now. At the time Tommy spoke I wasn't so sure I did. 

HC

That's all fine and good, and I'm happy to hear you are on the mend btw....but let's put a 5 minute timer up there for these guys to talk!

LaPorteAveApostle

really?  they put blood sweat & tears into a program for four or five years and you begrudge them a few minutes at the end of their careers?

then don't stay and listen.  nobody made you.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

I'm going to stay, and I'm going to complain  :-* when it drags on and on and you're going to sit there and read it.  This year, none of these guys have even been hear that long so they shouldn't have much to say anyways.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on February 27, 2014, 09:10:53 PMThis year, none of these guys have even been hear that long so they shouldn't have much to say anyways.
good point.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

I can see the seniors' speeches being fairly short except for maybe Capo's speech. Both of Bobby's parents have put so much into his two years at Valpo by attending every game. That is not nearly as easy as some may think. Bobby will have a lot on his mind and might not go on forever but I think his speech will be the longest. Crean/Glass would have given him maybe a minute at most.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

HM is spot on.  He's spent as many years here as Gueye and either Dority or Coleman combined; all three had immediate eligibility, whereas he had to sit a year.

Couple that with his parents being so supportive, plus his sister being a student here, and a girlfriend (past? present?) being from Valpo...it's got to be a very special place for him.

Man, we're going to have to have a Senior Speech thread at this rate. 

I'll prep an Over/Under for everyone's time ;)

usc4valpo

Quote from: HC on February 27, 2014, 07:13:05 PMThat's all fine and good, and I'm happy to hear you are on the mend btw....but let's put a 5 minute timer up there for these guys to talk!
Perhaps they can follow a procedure similar to the Oscars.  If the acceptance or final game speech exceeds 1.5 minutes, then require the band to play.

Dave_2010

I'm a CSU grad student and have been to the majority of their games this season. I hate the way they match up against us, especially on the front line. The Forbes/Dority matchup will be fun to watch and I think we have enough backcourt depth to handle Trey Lewis, Sebastian Douglas, and Charlie Lee. Without a true center in their starting lineup, Waters rotates through 3-4 long, athletic PFs that pose huge matchup issues for us. They essentially have 4 Jubril Adekoyes. Last time out our entire frontcourt got outscored 36-16 by just 3 CSU forwards.

Considering this game is at home and its senior day, I think we can keep it closer than the last time around, but CSU pulls away at the end for a 65-57 victory.

On a side note, with the talent leaving Green Bay and Wright State and the talent CSU and Valpo are bringing back this is probably a preview of the two teams that will be running away from the HL in 2014-15.

classof2014

Quote from: Dave_2010 on February 28, 2014, 10:35:08 AM
On a side note, with the talent leaving Green Bay and Wright State and the talent CSU and Valpo are bringing back this is probably a preview of the two teams that will be running away from the HL in 2014-15.

Agree with that they'll be the two best teams in the HL for the next couple years. I'm assuming you meant run away with the HL not from the HL for another conference.

Smj

LaPorteAveApostle

classof2014

UIC holds a 1 point lead at half time against WSU. This is also with Kelsey Barlow on the bench for about 3/4 of the half with 2 fouls.

setshot

VU played better at the beginning of the season than at the end of the season. What happened? :crazy: How about Tony Bennett and the UVA Cavaliers. Hell of a coach. :thumbsup:

classof2014

Well that sucked. Played well in the first half, then the team decided to become spectators in the second half. I really thought the seniors would want to make their mark and none of them played well or seemed inspired, the only one was Bobby. The other three stunk.

I can see this team going deep in the tourney. Against top 3 teams in the HL we're 1-5, against the rest we're 8-2 with the two losses be heart-breakers. And we match up with GB pretty well, and if we made it to the semis we'd be playing GB. I guess you never know but after this game it looks pretty grim.

Now is the time for the seniors to make their mark in the tourney, then the class of 2017 will be in charge for the rest of the way. 

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on March 01, 2014, 05:27:23 PM
Well that sucked. Played well in the first half, then the team decided to become spectators in the second half. I really thought the seniors would want to make their mark and none of them played well or seemed inspired, the only one was Bobby. The other three stunk.

I can see this team going deep in the tourney. Against top 3 teams in the HL we're 1-5, against the rest we're 8-2 with the two losses be heart-breakers. And we match up with GB pretty well, and if we made it to the semis we'd be playing GB. I guess you never know but after this game it looks pretty grim.

Now is the time for the seniors to make their mark in the tourney, then the class of 2017 will be in charge for the rest of the way. 

As I mentioned before and we once again proved today, this group is completely incapable of beating a team with a hedging defense and fast defenders, thus our 0-4 record against WSU and CSU.  We are who we are.  Beating either team in the tournament would be a minor miracle.   

historyman

Quote from: HC on February 25, 2014, 07:16:21 PMMan, I wouldn't want to be hanging off a side of a cliff holding onto a rope and have you holding the other end! Valpo by a 3, at the buzzer by Dority.
Who was more accurate for a prediction? My 19 point CSU win prediction or your 3 point Valpo win prediction? I see.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

We played like crap in the second half, that is all.  Hopefully we pull off a miracle and win 2 games in the tourney, and get a postseason offer in the CIT or CBI.  I don't want to watch us another few games because I can't stand turnovers, but it would be cool for the Seniors to get an extra game out of their college careers.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the halftime of today's game?... just asking...

a3uge

Quote from: wh on March 01, 2014, 06:29:23 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 01, 2014, 05:27:23 PM

As I mentioned before and we once again proved today, this group is completely incapable of beating a team with a hedging defense and fast defenders, thus our 0-4 record against WSU and CSU. We are who we are. Beating either team in the tournament would be a minor miracle.

HC

Your point, Historyman?

Anywho, way to many boneheaded turnovers again. The guys didn't look too interested in playing that second half with the exception of Keith Carter who was at least playing hard.

valpopal

The result of the game was a disappointment, so for now I will focus here on the aftermath, which was another opportunity to see the character of our players. Despite the difficult and painful loss just moments earlier, Bryce and the four seniors were composed and impressive in their Senior Night comments.

Once again, the emphasis in Valpo athletics on developing student-athletes with strong character seemed to be on display. I was pleased to see such admirable behavior, especially since I noticed three or four possible recruits (a couple of them back for second and third visits) at the game who stuck around with their families to witness the ceremony and who also bowed their heads in prayer with Bryce at the close during the recognition for the seniors.

For those who did not get to see the Senior Night ceremony, here are some photos:

justducky

After watching the game again on Comcast at 7:00 I tried to find something that could be viewed in a positive way. Still looking.

Either Bryce decided to hide his new and completely revised CSU game plan or we just do not belong on the same floor with them. I am uncomfortable with either of those possibilities. My opinion that we would pick up steam and confidence as we rolled down the stretch run couldn't have been more wrong.

The only thing that keeps this collapse from being as painful as 2010-2011 is that we didn't start this fall from nearly as much height.

historyman

Quote from: HC on March 01, 2014, 10:21:30 PMYour point, Historyman? Anywho, way to many boneheaded turnovers again. The guys didn't look too interested in playing that second half with the exception of Keith Carter who was at least playing hard.
You criticized me for my prediction. That was all it was, a prediction. Yet that prediction was more accurate then most of the predictions on this board. I didn't understand why it was wrong to predict that score.